• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion What is your variety gamer score?

If we're counting anything that we've at least "tried", I'm at around 95/100. If we are counting series where I've actually completed a game, I'm at 70/100.

InkedrqR4y30_LI.jpg

76/100 and yes, my taste is quite weeb, why do you ask? (Idk about some though, I might've played some MK back when arcades were still around) Also I don't think all of the ones I've played are actually any good, I just played some because they were free on PS+ and I was trying too desperately to fit in. Which I'm glad I don't anymore.

InkedSOfp1Ce_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Trying to make my own Nintendo variety gamer score card (not that @Raccoon’s isn’t already good, of course—I just wanted one with more games and series represented!) and I’m having a very hard time narrowing it down to 100 series/games, lol. Currently at 108 after chopping off quite a few, and I’m at a point where I don’t really want to get rid of any but I’m gonna have to! I’m also trying to keep out any series/games that are exclusive to a single region to be more fair, and also restricting digital-only series/games for the most part since WiiWare and DSiWare games are already inaccessible and 3DS and Wii U eShop games won’t be up for much longer, either. But even despite those limitations, I’m still struggling to get it down to 100! lol Also, I’m trying my best to not make the list too biased to myself, either, so I won’t be getting a perfect score on my own score card. =P

Marked in red the ones where I played a decent amount of time and in orange the ones I've played but not that much (mostly just multiplayer with friends).

Total is... 30 red + 14 orange = 44/100.

Same for Nintendo one, most here are red though... 34/52.

The categories "Other Metroid" and "Other DK" are a bit confusing. I counted Metroid Other M as "Other Metroid" as it's basically the title of the game and it isn't neither 2D or Prime. What even is "Other DK"? Where does DK64 fit...

Did not know that, i only played it so ofthen with friends. But if you say so, then that seems to be the worthy game to be pushed =D

Hey, if you've got good memories of the campaign and/or casual multiplayer with friends, by all means pick up World Party. But don't expect any bells/whistles aside from being able to run on modern systems, and don't expect a healthy online community.

Here're my Nintendo results. 20/52. Red are ones I'll be playing in the near to medium term.

sofp1ce6xksl.png

P.S. Labo and 1080 would've been better selections than X and Yakuman.

Hey, if you've got good memories of the campaign and/or casual multiplayer with friends, by all means pick up World Party. But don't expect any bells/whistles aside from being able to run on modern systems, and don't expect a healthy online community.
My main experience was probably first armagedon on PS1 and PC, and later World Party at school.
I had a handfull of rounds later with world party, but could never get enough people interested,
and the 3D games never caught me. So im 100% beliving you. And if somebody wants to look into it today,
its probably the best to chose the one that has the best comunity support. Never the less, the game is best locally with a bunch of friends.

My main experience was probably first armagedon on PS1 and PC, and later World Party at school.
I had a handfull of rounds later with world party, but could never get enough people interested,
and the 3D games never caught me. So im 100% beliving you. And if somebody wants to look into it today,
its probably the best to chose the one that has the best comunity support. Never the less, the game is best locally with a bunch of friends.
You two made me download scorched earth 1.5 to my phone and play a round. At work.

And I still got it.

@Tye I took a crack at it. Obviously far from comprehensive, but it's a decent sampler. Generally trends from more popular at the top to less popular below

SOfp1Ce.png
Are some of my gaps here even worth checking out?

Big Brain Academy? Steel Diver? Wii Music? Mario Artist (Mario Paint?)?

And I’ve never even heard of X or Yakuman lol

Are some of my gaps here even worth checking out?

Big Brain Academy? Steel Diver? Wii Music? Mario Artist (Mario Paint?)?

And I’ve never even heard of X or Yakuman lol

Brain academy? Sure. It's like Wario ware from a Dr.

Steel diver? Not anymore, the original wasn't that great of a 2d sub game, and while sub wars was pretty cool, it's pointless without it's servers.

Mario artist? Not sure how you're gonna be able to play that one. It was for the 64dd. I only got to play it because I lived out if country (us) from the mid 90's to the early 2000's.

I feel like there are a ton of free applications now that would serve you much better than Mario artist..... Although it DOES ooze that Nintendo charm.

X is similar to star fox. Minus the fox.

Can't help you with Yakuman lol.

Okay, I'm finally done making my own version of the Nintendo variety gamer score with 100 series/games! I'm gonna be very impressed if anyone here has a perfect score… (Also sorry in advance to PAL region people for going with the North American titles for everything; I could only fit so much, lol.)

FTu8HboVIAAMuKb

I excluded any series/games that only released in one region, like the numerous Japanese-exclusive ones, for fairness. I also tried not to include any digital-only series/games from past generations since WiiWare games are now inaccessible, and DSiWare, 3DS eShop, and Wii U eShop games aren't going to be around much longer, either. For the most part I stuck to series that have at least two installments (or single games that have released on multiple systems), but I did sprinkle a few notable lone games in as well. I also tried to pick some games from each system, where applicable, that utilized specific hardware features or accessories that would make them unlikely or difficult candidates to be emulated so that playing on original hardware is going to essentially be required for some of these. That's why stuff like Hey You, Pikachu! and Spirit Camera are there, for example.

Anyway, here are my results:
I could easily pick up a few more points by playing some games that I already own but have never touched, lol. My partner and I have Donkey Konga, Gyromite, and Wave Race 64, but they were the one who had them as a kid, not me, so I haven't played them yet (and in Gyromite's case, we didn't even have a working R.O.B. until a few years ago). I also own Sin & Punishment: Star Successor but never got around to playing it since I haven't played the first game yet (and now I have no excuse since it's on Nintendo Switch Online, lol). The rest I just never picked up for whatever reason… We do have a Virtual Boy so finding a copy of Teleroboxer shouldn't be too difficult, at least, and I'll be playing Advance Wars 1+2 once that comes out of limbo.

EDIT: Noticed a mistake so I had to fix and reupload the image, lol.

Last edited:
Some of these are weird deep cuts… like Parasite Eve, Shadow Hearts, and Drakengard were hardly big / relevant series even at the time of release, let alone now like 20 years later.

The Variety Gamer one I only got like 19 on. Definitely prefer the score of 55 I got on a more Nintendo based one.
Not sure how to post a photo off my phone on here or if that’s something I’ve gotta upload elsewhere and link off of.

If it's just about trying I've actually dabbled in every single one of these series to some degree but if it's about actually finishing a game the number dwindles down to like 50, depending on how you count games that you can't really finish.

Wtf the fuck is a Dillon
I’ve only played the first one, Dillon’s Rolling Western, but it was a pretty cool tower defence game on 3DS, where you set up the defences but can also intervene and attack stuff directly. It reminded me of Lock’s Quest on DS in that sense.

About 55.

Most of the ones I didn't play are western series lol. I also don't know if I should count games I've only touched for a very short time.

Okay, I'm finally done making my own version of the Nintendo variety gamer score with 100 series/games! I'm gonna be very impressed if anyone here has a perfect score… (Also sorry in advance to PAL region people for going with the North American titles for everything; I could only fit so much, lol.)

FTu8HboVIAAMuKb

I excluded any series/games that only released in one region, like the numerous Japanese-exclusive ones, for fairness. I also tried not to include any digital-only series/games from past generations since WiiWare games are now inaccessible, and DSiWare, 3DS eShop, and Wii U eShop games aren't going to be around much longer, either. For the most part I stuck to series that have at least two installments (or single games that have released on multiple systems), but I did sprinkle a few notable lone games in as well. I also tried to pick some games from each system, where applicable, that utilized specific hardware features or accessories that would make them unlikely or difficult candidates to be emulated so that playing on original hardware is going to essentially be required for some of these. That's why stuff like Hey You, Pikachu! and Spirit Camera are there, for example.

Anyway, here are my results:

I could easily pick up a few more points by playing some games that I already own but have never touched, lol. My partner and I have Donkey Konga, Gyromite, and Wave Race 64, but they were the one who had them as a kid, not me, so I haven't played them yet (and in Gyromite's case, we didn't even have a working R.O.B. until a few years ago). I also own Sin & Punishment: Star Successor but never got around to playing it since I haven't played the first game yet (and now I have no excuse since it's on Nintendo Switch Online, lol). The rest I just never picked up for whatever reason… We do have a Virtual Boy so finding a copy of Teleroboxer shouldn't be too difficult, at least, and I'll be playing Advance Wars 1+2 once that comes out of limbo.

EDIT: Noticed a mistake so I had to fix and reupload the image, lol.
57/100!

This was fun!
  • Variety Gamer Score - 72/100 (72%)
  • Nintendo Variety Score - 36/52 (69%)

I defined "play" as including "played multiple times at a friends house" and "played enough to determine it wasn't for me and stop playing". Not just "beat". Basically enough to get a grasp of what the game/series is all about. Some big gaps in there, but I'm pretty happy with my scores. I'm pretty good at knowing what I like.

How did I do, am I worthy enough to join the Fami?

FTu8-Hbo-VIAAMu-Kb-2.png

Wait there's a new bigger Nintendo list?

Ok let's see..... 90/100 missing:
Donkey Konga, Muramase castle, hey you Pikachu (played a demo kiosk and just was not interested) Teleroboxer, Famicom Detective club, Krururin, the legendary starfy (just wasn't engaged by starfy games), master of illusion, style savvy, Tokyo Mirage sessions (I was hyped up at feXsmt, this didn't remotely resemble anything I was excited for.)

Wait there's a new bigger Nintendo list?

Ok let's see..... 90/100 missing:
Donkey Konga, Muramase castle, hey you Pikachu (played a demo kiosk and just was not interested) Teleroboxer, Famicom Detective club, Krururin, the legendary starfy (just wasn't engaged by starfy games), master of illusion, style savvy, Tokyo Mirage sessions (I was hyped up at feXsmt, this didn't remotely resemble anything I was excited for.)
Oh damn, someone actually passed my score! I should really get around to playing Donkey Konga, Wave Race, and Sin & Punishment (and Gyromite, but setting up the R.O.B. might be an issue…) since I have them all, lol. If I can get those four checked off, plus Advance Wars once 1+2 releases, I’ll be tied at 90! lol

Oh damn, someone actually passed my score! I should really get around to playing Donkey Konga, Wave Race, and Sin & Punishment (and Gyromite, but setting up the R.O.B. might be an issue…) since I have them all, lol. If I can get those four checked off, plus Advance Wars once 1+2 releases, I’ll be tied at 90! lol

Remember, you need a CRT for rob to function! I have an old flat screen crt that some of the older consoles are hooked up to in the play room for the kids, I have to constantly remind them rob is not a normal toy lol.

Remember, you need a CRT for rob to function! I have an old flat screen crt that some of the older consoles are hooked up to in the play room for the kids, I have to constantly remind them rob is not a normal toy lol.
I know, that’s the problem! I don’t think we have a CRT that we could use, lol.

Literally 100/100, my god have mercy on my soul
Wow, really?! I didn’t expect anyone to get a perfect score. I really need to fill in those gaps of mine!!

Though my gaps are pretty much entirely due to not being able to get as many games when I was younger than I can now, and I just haven’t gone back and picked up some of the Nintendo games I missed out on before, even if I want to (I blame the executive dysfunction =P).

A number of the Nintendo ones are in my backlog. Astral Chain and Codename Steam specifically are ones I’ve been wanting to get to for some time.

22/100 and many of those games I might have only put a handful of hours in like TF2 when it went F2P, or WoW before I decided it wasn't for me.

I definitely fall in the "keeps up with industry more than actually playing games" category.

I will say, there's a few here that I do own, but I have yet to play lol. They just stay in my forever backlog.

lKqf2zM.png

It's helpful to remember I only really started gaming circa 2000 and primarily on handhelds. Almost everything else is "random AAA game I got for my shiny new console" or a rare console JRPG.

Back
Top Bottom