• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What is your favorite Wiiu controller?

What is your favorite Wiiu controller?

• Gamepad

Votes: 23 47.9%
  • Wiimote

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Pro Controller

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

Tailzo

Paratroopa
wii_u_game_pad.png

wii_u_remote_plus.png

wii_u_pro_controller.png

I primarily used (and enjoyed) the Pro Controller. I didn’t mind the right analog stick.

Not a fan of the glossy finish though.

GamePad is what almost all games were built around, and very comfortable. My vote. Remote was the bizarre backup most games needed to support for easier multiplayer even if most of its defining features were no longer being used for reasons of parity. Pro Controller was... about my least favorite standard gamepad ever, with that particular stick/button layout. You can look at pictures of it and GamePad and see how much farther from the stick your thumbs were expected to travel to reach things like right on the d-pad or Y on the face buttons.

Not sure how you could be a fan of the Wii U and not choose the gamepad. It was comfy and felt revolutionary as a dumb terminal that just worked.

If my brother wanted to watch TV, I could just haul the gamepad into my bedroom without issue.

Second screen features were gimmicks by and large, but still felt uniquely Nintendo and magical. The Wii U without the gamepad is just one of the worst consoles of all time. With it, there's a unique place for it in the history of gaming.

Sorry, Pro Controller. I always used it for MonHun and CoD when I had it. Was also incredibly comfortable and 80hrs or battery life. The gamepad was fine. Clunky, uncomfortable but worked great for ZombiU, WW and Nintendo Land.

I had an off brand Pro Controller that lasted through all of BOTW on a single charge.

I love the GamePad. The tragedy for it was that most developers didn't realise the incredible potential it had. However, the battery life of the Wii U Pro Controller was truly something else, and I voted for it because of that. From a design standpoint, the perfect Pro Controller would have the European SNES colour-coded buttons, or New 3DS colour-coded lettering. I'm very indifferent to analog triggers, as my gameplay experiences without them haven't changed in a meaningful way.

The Gamepad had a better d-pad than the Pro controller, and felt extremely comfortable. It's still my favorite controller to actually use, though its aesthetics are terrible and it was a bad decision for a mass market device.

Overall, it's obviously the Gamepad. No other home console controller allows you to use a browser. It's also quite comfortable.

But for fast paced games, the Wii U Pro Controller is just the best in Nintendo's history, in my humble opinion.

I do like the Gamepad gimmicks and all that but I can't deny it just feels awkward. Wii U Pro Controller never lived up to its reputation for me, the completely non-analog flat triggers are just wrong. I guess I'm a weirdo who was kind of partial to the fact all my Wii Remotes were backwards compatible so we could get going on multiplayer right away, and I'm especially weird in that I kind of preferred it (plus Nunchuk of course) for Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., and Super Mario 3D World. And it was perfect for Pikmin and the few games that still used pointer stuff, the downgrade of the gyro-pointers on Switch has me even more wistful of those days.

So yeah, the second-coming of the Wii Remote was absolutely appreciated.

Like @Stopdoor I am a mega fan of the Wiimote + Nunchuk control scheme. It's hard for me to picture playing 3DW or Pikmin 3 without it. I liked the GamePad a lot, too, especially for things like DKC: TF and Nintendo Land.

None

Because any of those options means I'm playing the WiiU, a fate I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

You know what makes the Wii U Gamepad such a wonderful controller?

You can be be in the middle of playing an open world dinohunting Mech RPG, and then without skipping a beat you can bring you the map on the Gamepad and start playing a resource gathering Star Trek probe simulator before going back to dinohunting.

The Wii U Gamepad.

The procon is amazing and, until i had to sell it, i used it on my PC with a 8bitdo USB adapter.

BUT

It lacks gyro, and the rumble is weak, it doesn't even feel attached to the body of the controller.

Also, OP forgets this one and its older brother

41UweVbfiKL._AC_.jpg

(Incredible how hard is to find pics of the official controllers in a google image search)

They were my go to controllers for whenever i didn't want to use the Gamepad before i got the procon, AND my default Virtual Console controllers for anything not N64.

Loved them, still have them, i'm looking into getting a GBros adapter to give them some Switch use on retro games (D-pad is leagues better than the SN30 pro's)

41UweVbfiKL._AC_.jpg

(Incredible how hard is to find pics of the official controllers in a google image search)

They were my go to controllers for whenever i didn't want to use the Gamepad before i got the procon, AND my default Virtual Console controllers for anything not N64.

Loved them, still have them, i'm looking into getting a GBros adapter to give them some Switch use on retro games (D-pad is leagues better than the SN30 pro's)
I don't know why, but the lowercase lettering on the Wii Classic Controller just rubs me the wrong way. I like my capitals on my buttons.

The Wii U Gamepad.

The procon is amazing and, until i had to sell it, i used it on my PC with a 8bitdo USB adapter.

BUT

It lacks gyro, and the rumble is weak, it doesn't even feel attached to the body of the controller.

41UweVbfiKL._AC_.jpg

I agree. When I searched for images, I found a lot of cheap knock offs.

GamePad sucks when you take a look at it, but it's alright when play with it.
In general, GamePad is the best Wii U controller, still it sucks, especially taking battery life into consideration.

GamePad. Wii Remote + Nunchuk wasn't as good as it was on the Wii due to games being more built around traditional controls again, but there are standouts here and there.

Wii U Pro Controller is okay, but outside of the godly battery life it didn't have much for me and you still need the GamePad for games anyway, so...

Back
Top Bottom