• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What is your favorite The Legend of Zelda game main theme?

What is your favorite The Legend of Zelda game main theme?

• A Link to the Past (Dark World)

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Ocarina of Time (Hyrule Field)

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Majora's Mask (Clocktown)

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • The Wind Waker (The Wind Waker)

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Twilight Princess (Hyrule Field)

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • Skyward Sword (Ballad of the Goddess)

Votes: 25 29.4%
  • Breath of the Wild (Breath of the Wild)

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Tears of the Kingdom

Votes: 7 8.2%

• Total voters

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him

Zelda has a rich musical history, and while there is a library of recurring leitmotifs and musical pieces that the series reuses and remixes expertly, every new game also introduces a "main theme" of its own; the signature theme for that game which is associated with it in all the marketing, key moments, and also recurs as a leitmotif through other songs in the game.

Starting from A Link to the Past's Dark World, all the way to the upcoming Tears of the Kingdom, these are all the main themes mainline console Zelda games have had. Which is your favorite?

Of the ones listed, it’s very close between LttP’s Dark World theme and Twilight Princess’s Hyrule Field theme. Twilight Princess just barely wins out due to being a more complex, varied melody with such a triumphant heroic feel to it, but I think the Dark World theme has more gravitas to it and it would be very easy for me to reconsider.

I’ll also shout out Ballad of the Windfish for Link’s Awakening.

Of those, Wind Waker, but if the Ocarina of Time title theme counted....

Dark World I guess, although I feel like LTTP’s version of Hyrule Field is more iconic and recognizable even if it’s a riff on the NES theme.

I don’t consider the dark world theme to be the main theme myself so went with Ballad of the Goddess. Also, play it backwards people:

The Wind Waker theme always makes me a bit emotional, even though it’s far from my favorite Zelda game

I've never once thought of the Dark World as being the main theme of ALttP. In general, I don't think most Zelda games prior to Wind Waker really had a main theme. You have the original and Link's Awakening, that's it.

Anyway, of the songs posted here, Twilight Princess's overworld theme is easily the best. Though I have to say, I feel like the instruments used have aged much, much worse than the Wind Waker theme's. Odd, that.

Interesting that arguably the most iconic version of Hyrule Field from a gameplay and design perspective (OoT) doesn't have a single vote so far.
I always thought this one was kind of just okay, basically just dancing around the actual Zelda theme to create something that doesn't land the same way. Overshadowed by the overworld music of pretty much every other Zelda.

It’s a battle between the two Wii Zeldas for me. I’m going with Ballad of the Goddess but it’s close.

Either Wind Waker or Spirit Tracks I think, which are also my favorite soundtracks from the series. On top of being excellent compositions I love how they are integrated in the story as actual music being played, restoring the master sword and the sacred duet respectively are peak stuff.

The Wind Waker theme, tied with the Ocarina of Time opening (which is better than the Hyrule Field theme imo).

Ugh I'd have to go with TP, but just barely. I really really really love most of the music in Zelda, especially in the two GameCube games and N64 games, but TP is probably the most earwormy out of the ones in the OP.

That said the ToTK one is really damn good.

Edit: for the record the "ugh" is because it's a hard choice, not trying to diss TP. I love Twilight Princess.

Last edited:
Even though it's not a top 10 Zelda for me (and probably not for anyone), the Spirit Tracks main theme is AMAZING.
It's so catchy and uplifting and never get tired of listening to it.

Twilight Princess would win if the sound quality weren't so bad, I don't know why it sounds so much crustier then most other Zelda music.

I feel that OoT should be the title screen, not hyrule field

hyrule field is a great theme in an otherwise mostly meh soundtrack
I like Twilight Princess’s soundtrack quite a bit. Hyrule Field is obviously the highlight, but Midna’s theme/Midna’s Lament are about as good, and several other tracks stick out to me, like the second phase of Stallord’s boss fight (a lot of the boss tracks in general), the Hyrule Castle theme that is slowly overtaken with Ganon’s theme as you progress, the training music with the guide spirit, to name a few.

I'll accept Skyward Sword winning this one, because Ballad of the Goddess is a banger

But TWW should be winning >.>

Tough decision. Twilight Princess is extremely grating to me for some reason, I remember being really annoyed at it when I played TPHD. The rest I love (even though I disagree with some choices for main themes). I guess it’s between Clockwork Town and Ballad of the Goddess, though the TotK one is quickly growing on me. Dark World is the most hummable but I don’t consider it the main theme.

For me it's easily Ballad of the Goddess, it's one of my favorite Zelda tracks period. Dark World is a classic and probably next on the list, although the Wind Waker menu music is lovely. I don't know that I'd consider a lot of these 'main themes' though, which makes it a bit tough to compare, but I think I'll stick with that.

I actually like BotW's theme the most. It starts so delicate and different and has a nice buildup (I don't like this one strange break though).

Otherwise parts of Wind Waker's theme become epic and Ballad of the Goddess would be my second vote.

OOT’s Hyrule Field is just too Goated. When I think of Zelda that’s the sound that pops right into my mind. TWW would probably be second as it captures that feeling of adventure that the series is about the best.

Just remembering the sound of Ballad of the Goddess chills my spine. That was the peak.
If people made a Tears of the Kingdom trailer with that song you can be sure as hell it would make it even more epic. The song makes you feel like you're riding birds flying around the skies, like you're the happy/sad Zelda, like you're Link jumping off a cliff and making an incredible journey. This song touches my soul, really.

It's impossible to choose only one. I love them all, but my three favs may be Wind Waker, Spirit Tracks and Ballad of the Goddess.

Just remembering the sound of Ballad of the Goddess chills my spine. That was the peak.
If people made a Tears of the Kingdom trailer with that song you can be sure as hell it would make it even more epic. The song makes you feel like you're riding birds flying around the skies, like you're the happy/sad Zelda, like you're Link jumping off a cliff and making an incredible journey. This song touches my soul, really.

Midna's Lament (Twilight Princess) deserves more love, ditto Switch Presentation Theme, Tarrey Town, Zora's Domain, Hateno Village, Hyrule Castle, (Breath Of The Wild), Ballad Of The Wind Fish (Link's Awakening), the Palace Theme, Great Palace (Zelda 2), Song Of Storms (Ocarina Of Time) and the Dark World map (A Link To The Past/A Link Between Worlds).

How is Dark World losing? Shame on you, Fami.

Also I don't understand the criteria for which songs are the main theme of the game, some of those are the overworld theme and some are the title theme and some aren't either.

Surprised to see clock town so low. Nevertheless, Ballad of the Goddess's sheer impact cannot be topped imo.
Windwaker, Botw, and Totk are still very high for me though.

Of the ones listed, it’s very close between LttP’s Dark World theme and Twilight Princess’s Hyrule Field theme. Twilight Princess just barely wins out due to being a more complex, varied melody with such a triumphant heroic feel to it, but I think the Dark World theme has more gravitas to it and it would be very easy for me to reconsider.

I’ll also shout out Ballad of the Windfish for Link’s Awakening.

This is exactly my opinion, though if the dark world theme were orchestrated I think I would have to pick it. TPs overworld theme is really excellent (though there's that one bit with the combat music I could do without)

Also I think the Great Sea is the superior WW track.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom