• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions What is the sweet spot price for the switch 2?

Sweet spot price for switch 2?

• Around 300 Dollars

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • Around 350 Dollars

Votes: 60 24.8%
  • Around 400 Dollars

Votes: 144 59.5%
  • Higher than 400

Votes: 23 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
My guess is $399 will be the price at launch, maybe $449 if they have a premium OLED version.

Gonna basically repost what I said in another thread but MS and Sony are probably kicking themselves they didn't just charge $600+ for the ps5 and series X because for 3 years scalpers raked in the hundreds of millions Sony and MS saw nothing from.

Reality is the Switch 2 for atleast a few years will likely sell out as fast as they can make them. a $399 switch is just gonna sell out instantly and be resold for likely a long time for far more than that...So why not charge $500 for it? They can always cut the price down the road if they need to; which I don't think they will. And raising the price is too much of a PR disaster. So it's better to just start higher. Yes I know everyone in here wants a fully featured next gen switch but also doesn't want to pay more than $400 for it but I just don't really see that happening. Think about it this way; Switch is at like 100 million sold; is there at least 1/5th of the userbase next year willing to fork out $500 to upgrade? I'd say for sure. So thats probably what they'll do.

Especially if it is as fully featured as the rumors imply, people are gonna buy this thing. Like look at the competition. Sony is out there charging $200 for an empty husk these days.

Gonna basically repost what I said in another thread but MS and Sony are probably kicking themselves they didn't just charge $600+ for the ps5 and series X because for 3 years scalpers raked in the hundreds of millions Sony and MS saw nothing from.

Reality is the Switch 2 for atleast a few years will likely sell out as fast as they can make them. a $399 switch is just gonna sell out instantly and be resold for likely a long time for far more than that...So why not charge $500 for it? They can always cut the price down the road if they need to; which I don't think they will. And raising the price is too much of a PR disaster. So it's better to just start higher. Yes I know everyone in here wants a fully featured next gen switch but also doesn't want to pay more than $400 for it but I just don't really see that happening. Think about it this way; Switch is at like 100 million sold; is there at least 1/5th of the userbase next year willing to fork out $500 to upgrade? I'd say for sure. So thats probably what they'll do.

Especially if it is as fully featured as the rumors imply, people are gonna buy this thing. Like look at the competition. Sony is out there charging $200 for an empty husk these days.

I agree 100% and I would even add that we should not compare its potential price to Switch's launch price.

The reason being the high chance that gen 1 Switch stays on the shelves for a couple of more years (unlike Wii U) with accompanying new Switch games that also won't stop coming anytime soon.

A lot of people talk about more than $400 pricing out the casuals, but I believe they'll be perfectly served still with a Switch OLED. And if the OLED gen1 stays at the same price, no way the Switch 2 comes under $450.

Even if they drop the OLED to $300, I have trouble seeing the gen2 Switch coming at just $100 more - that's the price difference between regular gen1 and gen1 lite, and it wouldn't seem in line with their whole ecosystem value propositions.

Of course, this is all contigent on Nintendo maintaing gen 1 Switch on the market but... why wouldn't they? Their dream scenario must be one where the new machine has BC (to incentivize upgrades) but they also keep the old models around in store shelves so they can shoot for a higher price (and specs) on a new gen system.

Yes, I'd love to pay $400 for Switch 2 but I'm expecting at least $450, especially if specs are in line with what has been rumored and this represents quite a big leap from Switch 1 performance per dollar.

I just think Nintendo shouldn't be too greedy like they the were with the 3DS at its launch, and it didn't pay at all. 400€ is the maximum I could personally pay for a Nintendo console (and I'm a huge fan), but 350€ seems a good price, I guess.

Its about building good relations with consumers. The lesser you sell your console for the more the consumers will like you as a company. Of course you can't sell the console for too low, but you want to aim for the cheapest amount you can sell it for without losing too much cash or in Nintendo's case, sell it for the amount that makes you a tiny profit. Also by not selling the console for too much you bring in more casuals and families who otherwise wouldn't buy the console if it cost more. Diehard fans will always buy a console at launch if they can, but you want a wider scope of customers than that. Maybe more relevant for Nintendo which wants as many parents as possible buying their systems for their kids.

Last edited:
$349.99. it may be enough money for nintendo to gain back the money lost from expenses with many millions of switch 2 consoles sold but low enough to make it affordable for people who can't afford to always buy expensive tech or make it more appealing to those who aren't die-hard nintendo fans. the perfect balance

For me, it kinda depends on the device itself. If it's not a step back from the OLED, I think 350 is a nice spot. If it is, more like 300, I guess?
Switch 2 isn't going to be released with OLED. They need to keep pricing down, so they're likely to be going with LCD as the rumors suggest.

They can always sell the OLED version later at slightly higher price point.

If it can legit run that Matrix Awakens demo at some reasonable level of fidelity ... I really, really think you're being unreasonable if you're going to sit there and whine that $399.99 is too expensive. Even $449.99 is completely reasonable.

If it can legit run that Matrix Awakens demo at some reasonable level of fidelity ... I really, really think you're being unreasonable if you're going to sit there and whine that $399.99 is too expensive. Even $449.99 is completely reasonable.

$450 is fine with me. Just understand that I don't think Nintendo would price the system based on final fidelity result (after-DLSS), but more closely aligned to raw processing power (before DLSS). If DLSS enables the system to achieve Series S-like graphics, but using chips that has lower processing power compared to the actual Series S, then it would (should) be priced lower.

In other words, DLSS tech in theory allows users to get more bang out of the buck. Nintendo most likely would want to keep it both profitable (don't lose money on each system) and at the same time keep it low enough to try to make it as accessible as possible to the public.

$450 is fine with me. Just understand that I don't think Nintendo would price the system based on final fidelity result (after-DLSS), but more closely aligned to raw processing power (before DLSS). If DLSS enables the system to achieve Series S-like graphics, but using chips that has lower processing power compared to the actual Series S, then it would (should) be priced lower.

In other words, DLSS tech in theory allows users to get more bang out of the buck. Nintendo most likely would want to keep it both profitable (don't lose money on each system) and at the same time keep it low enough to try to make it as accessible as possible to the public.

I think they might do $399.99 for a model with less storage, $449.99 with more storage and kinda see which the market leans more towards.

$350 would be nice, but that's likely not happening.. None of the current switch models have had permanent price drops. And there will be at least a $100 price difference between OLED and Switch 2. I expect OLED and other V2 switch to go down to $300 and $250 when Switch 2 releases.

$400 sounds the most plausible.

$350 would be nice, but that's likely not happening.. None of the current switch models have had permanent price drops. And there will be at least a $100 price difference between OLED and Switch 2. I expect OLED and other V2 switch to go down to $300 and $250 when Switch 2 releases.

$400 sounds the most plausible.

I think most of us would expect to see Switch 1 price drop the instant Nintendo officially announce Switch's successor. But yeah, $400 does seem more plausible to me than $300.

For me I could go as high as 550€ but only if worth it, I just want a device that I can play without issues and with good enough performance most modern games for 7/8 years so if it to achieve it the price has to be high I would be okay with it. (550€ is the price of PS5 in Spain)

What screen? I thought the rumors are saying Switch 2 will go with LCD rather than OLED, which should bring the pricing down. Unless the LCD has some new technology that makes those more expensive than OLEDs?
It’s a 1080p screen not 720p, I don’t know if a 1080p LCD screen is more expensive than a 720p OLED of the same quality tho

An 8 inch 1080p LCD screen may not be more expensive to implement. However, it allows them to project an increased value compared to the current Switch. 'Larger, higher resolution, full HD' screen on the box.

They will consider the total value proposition of the Switch 2, not just a straight performance comparison to other consoles. Full HD tablet, detachable wireless motion controllers, dock, capable of 4K gaming and media streaming, will play a number of current-gen titles and all current Nintendo games going forward. This already just sounds expensive, and that's not even including any additions made to the console, dock, or controllers.

I'm still thinking $399.00, I do believe there is a psychological effect to the '3' in the price, even though it's essentially $400.00. It makes the price bracket seem lower.

What screen? I thought the rumors are saying Switch 2 will go with LCD rather than OLED, which should bring the pricing down. Unless the LCD has some new technology that makes those more expensive than OLEDs?
Size. It's rumoured to be considerably bigger. That alone will be sold at a premium.
Also just because it's LCD doesn't mean it's cheap or low quality.

Size. It's rumoured to be considerably bigger. That alone will be sold at a premium.
Also just because it's LCD doesn't mean it's cheap or low quality.
I wasn't trying to imply LCD was cheap or low quality. Just that it was my understanding that generally with things being equal, OLED are more expensive than LCD counterparts. But yeah, I didn't realize the size, if the rumors are correct, is going to be significantly bigger than current Switch screen size (8 inches screen)

$400 to $450 is the sweet spot. If they can get it out at $400 with the kind of rumours we're hearing, that's a W.

I cannot envision a scenario where it's under $400; I think $500 is more likely than that (both are super, super unlikely imo).

probably $400, it’ll be more expensive than the Switch when it launched. I doubt it’ll be $500 as that’s in the premium territory and Nintendo products are not that in terms of price and quality.

I think the price should be around 400.
We mustn't forget that Nintendo is targeting hard-core gamers as well as families.
The former are capable of spending 500 on a console, but not necessarily the latter.

To this we must add that Nintendo will undoubtedly release one or more big games to accompany the launch, which will quickly drive up the price (we must also add the possible price of Online if they release a game with online co-op).
If you release your console at 400 + 1 game at 50/60 (even 70), you're still under the psychological 500 mark.

Let's not forget the first years of the 3ds, which struggle to sell because it was too expensive.

Considering what Nintendo has been saying and how they've been acting this generation, are they planning to move up- or down- market? That would influence their decision to price this generation at a higher or lower price relative to the market. On the one hand, what we've heard of the hardware seems to point to more of a performance upgrade than last time, which could signify a move to target enthusiasts more. On the other hand, all their IP initiatives like movies and theme parks could suggest they are looking to cast their net even wider and garner even more customers.

A few years ago I have said 300-350 but things have changed so I think 400$ is fine now.

I voted $400 it would be a next step up price increase from OLED, but not substantially higher than OG/OLED Switch.

That said I am expecting $450 and not ruling out $500, it all depends on unknowns like how much and type of RAM and storage Nintendo is going with on this device or possibly devices if more than one SKU and how much Nintendo is willing to eat in losses at least in the first 10-20 million units sold.

The drop in memory prices post chip shortage may help keep prices down though.

Considering what Nintendo has been saying and how they've been acting this generation, are they planning to move up- or down- market? That would influence their decision to price this generation at a higher or lower price relative to the market. On the one hand, what we've heard of the hardware seems to point to more of a performance upgrade than last time, which could signify a move to target enthusiasts more. On the other hand, all their IP initiatives like movies and theme parks could suggest they are looking to cast their net even wider and garner even more customers.
I feel part of how they price the successor in part depends on how they plan to price the current family of systems next year: will they all stay at their current prices, necessitating that the next system be at least $399 on principle, or will the Lite and OLED get price cuts so that the next system can potentially slot into the latter's $349 slot (I'd be shocked, but you never know)?

I won't pay over 399 so I voted for that. If they go higher then it will seriously put me off for a long while. I've been one of the unlucky souls hit hard by economic times and despite having many years experience in the kitchen I'm only making 10.50 an hour at my current job which is a slave wage.

Edit: To those saying 500 dollars or more, um you really want to pay more just because? I don't see them doing it but that's putting them well out of family budget territory which they've always stuck to their guns.

400, I mean they could do 450 but that would defo put many people off

Depending on capability. I would say 350 sweet spot and 400 max. I would second guess it at 450 honestly.

$350 feels like the right spot assuming Nintendo doesn't drop the price the whole generation. A bit more than the Switch but still available to a mass consumer market. $400 is the max because anything over that is detrimental to building a sustainable audience imo.

Back
Top Bottom