• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions What is the sweet spot price for the switch 2?

Sweet spot price for switch 2?

• Around 300 Dollars

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • Around 350 Dollars

Votes: 60 24.8%
  • Around 400 Dollars

Votes: 144 59.5%
  • Higher than 400

Votes: 23 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

lemonfresh

#Team2024
Pronouns
He/Him
So yesterrday we got a ton of leaks for nintendos next console the Switch 2 from devs at gamescom being show the console and being shown some demons, One of them was the unreal 5 demo of the matrix and one was a souped up BOTw. Switch being able to run these demos make me think its going to be pretty beefy. I think nintendo always prices their consoles pretty decently though throughout the years so that has made me wonder how much this thing will cose for me the sweet spot price would be maybe 300 to 350 dollars. But what do you guys think fami?

For me, it kinda depends on the device itself. If it's not a step back from the OLED, I think 350 is a nice spot. If it is, more like 300, I guess?

Depends on how big the jump is, but I'm willing to pay 400-ish bucks for power around base PS4 level. Though I only really want more power so Nintendo can more easily reel in more third party support.

How would I know what the sweet spot is for a device that we have barely any information on? We only have a ballpark estimation about its technical capabilities but nothing whatsoever on the build, input devices, screen etc. This thread is way too premature.

Historically, Nintendo usually launches hardware at around $100 less than their competitors. Xbox and PlayStation are $499 USD, so $399 is the absolute floor. However I think if you take the Switch’s wild popularity into account, and the ever-increasing price of components, along with the rise in prices of the Series X and PS5, I could see Nintendo charging $449 or even $499.

I'm expecting this thing to land somewhere between $300 - 400 USD. Which I think is generally where most Nintendo hardware tends to land (when adjusted for inflation). If they cross they $400 barrier I think they're going to have a hard time at retail.

400 Would be cool but I’m expecting:
Switch 2 @430-450
Swoled @300
Switch 1 @230-250
switch lite @150-180
for a couple of years with remaster, spin-off and minor stuff being cross-gen.

2026/2027
Switch 2 oled @430
Switch 2 @350
Switch 2 lite @250

Switch 1 discontinued.

Ps: Rightly so, the main focus is on the console's price, but I hope that Switch 2 is compatible with the pro controllers so that I don't have to pay 80€ x 4 again for multiplayer ahahah

Last edited:
Obviously the cheaper the better as far as getting people on board. I think that $350 is a good sweet spot. At $400 you risk people deciding "why not just get a PS5" or whatever.

$400 seems risky to me, but doable. Anything over that is asking for trouble even with the Switch's success. Part of the reason the Switch did so well is because people can buy one for themselves, one for their kid (or one for both kids). People aren't dropping $1500 on consoles for their family, you know?

Last edited:
I think $400 is the max they can get away with and have it be remotely as successful as the Switch.

Nintendo doesn't usually sell their consoles at a loss, so it doesn't give them a lot of wiggle room on price.

The Series S is $300, so if the Switch 2 will be comparable in power to that, I think it may end up near $400 because of the different hardware requirements for a hybrid system.

I could definitely see it going above $400, but I don't think it would make a lot of business sense for them, unless they plan on rolling out other models quicker.

400 Would be cool but I’m expecting:
Switch 2 @430-450
Swoled @300
Switch 1 @230-250
switch lite @150-180
for a couple of years with remaster, spin-off and minor stuff being cross-gen.

2026/2027
Switch 2 oled @430
Switch 2 @350
Switch 2 lite @250

Switch 1 discontinued.

Ps: Rightly so, the main focus is on the console's price, but I hope that Switch 2 is compatible with the pro controllers so that I don't have to pay 80€ x 4 again for multiplayer ahahah
I actually think everything but the $199 Lite or $299 regular may get phased out and sooner (like late 2024 or early 2025). An OLED Switch 1 really doesn't make sense next an LCD Switch 2 longer term. I also don't expect price drops at all and really we could even get a new low cost but feature improved Switch 1 model late next year or early 2025 to replace the entire line and reposition Switch 1 as the budget/kids platform for a few years next to the premium Switch 2 (a la New 2DS XL in 2017 existing next to Switch until 2020).

I think Switch 1 will still get software support through at least 2026 too. But it'll be more like late term 3DS support consisting of mostly catalog remasters, remakes, franchise remixes and maybe some random cross gen that scale well (like a Musou, puzzle game, etc). This'll be mostly 2nd or 3rd party developed fare too (so like Grezzo, Good-Feel, Omega Force, Jupiter, Tantalus, Bandai Namco, Arika, Eighting, etc, etc), inhouse dev will shift entirely to Switch 2 after their remaining 2024 titles come out, except for stuff like NERD GC/Wii emu-ports and NSO updates.

Obviously it all depends on how advanced the device will be - but I'd be surprised if it's under 349$ and over 399$

OLED model showed they could sell a Nintendo device at 349$ but they're also still a family friendly company at it's core and they want that huge market to, and if we go too high that might scare some off.

so I am going with 399. I think they can pull that off.

I'm willing to pay more, but I feel like anything above $399 becomes a big ask for most people.

If you use the inflation calculator, $300 in March 2017 is $375 today, and will be closer to $400 by the time this thing is ready to launch.

There's just no way it comes in lower than $400 - it's the equivalent price the original Switch was, and I reckon it's the sweet spot.

The question is whether they launch at something like $500 in the knowledge that there will be enough people who will definitely buy it at that price to sustain them for a year, then they can drop the price back to $400.

$449USD is the lowest I expect them to go, and it's also the highest I'm willing to spend to buy at launch. I don't think $499USD is out of the question but I also would hold off for about six months to see the long term reviews come in and report on the build quality.

I'm less than keen on shelling that much for another console with stick drift 2.0: revengeance.

The Series S is $300, so if the Switch 2 will be comparable in power to that, I think it may end up near $400 because of the different hardware requirements for a hybrid system.
Not being paying close attention but I thought the rumors are saying it'll be more PS4 level with DLSS & newer components allowing it to punch above its weight?

$349.99 MSRP is the sweet spot though I expect $399.99 or more.

The higher the price the likelier more people talk themselves out of one at least initially. As long as quality first and third party games release regularly, Nintendo will ultimately be fine.

Not being paying close attention but I thought the rumors are saying it'll be more PS4 level with DLSS & newer components allowing it to punch above its weight?
Yes. But depending on the game - it could spit out comparable visuals thanks to DLSS. To the 'layman' a $400 portable device with an HD screen that can do '4K' gaming producing similar results to the $300 digital-only stationary box is a strong value proposition.

I think $400 is the sweet spot if it's sufficiently powerful. However I could see $450.

I will say, I do think that once you get to $450 and above I believe we'll probably start seeing price cuts on the original model a few years in. There's no "shame" in having price cuts or whatever, and I doubt Nintendo would want a second upgraded model to be expensive and for the standard model to be expensive at the same time.

from everything we're hearing I'd say 400 but 450 or above wouldn't be "too" surprising.
I do think it'd still be beneficial for Nintendo to at least sit between Series S and Series X/PS5 for the pricing.

$400 is probably the ceiling for a portable, anything higher would be risky. Nintendo do need to keep families in mind as children make up a huge chunk of the Switch audience, so they need this thing to be affordable for families to potentially buy more than one to prevent squabbles. They could possibly get by with keeping the OG Switch around as the affordable option until they rustle up a Switch 2 Lite I suppose

399$ full bundle would be ideal
Going by the leaks I won't be surprised if it's 399$ without dock 499$ with dock

399$ full bundle would be ideal
Going by the leaks I won't be surprised if it's 399$ without dock 499$ with dock
It's not ideal, but I could definitely live with that plan, assuming the OLED dock is forward compatible and will simply be reused with the next Switch, no extra bells or whistles necessary.

It already has the HDMI 2.0 port that can transmit 4K60, and if it can receive firmware updates then I can't imagine much else is needed. By the time Switch 3 comes around, there probably will be some upgrades in the USB-C transfer speeds that will inevitably allow for 4K120, but that's so far in the future we won't need to worry about it.

My heart says around 400. My head Says it will probably be 449.

I would be over the moon if Nintendo somehow gets it out at 399

There’s no chance it’ll be less than the OLED switch. They will not price their new device lower than their last-gen console lol. That’s literally devaluing the console. They will not do that. Considering Nintendo has the balls to sell the new Zelda for $70, They will want to set clear tiers and value proposition for consumers. I also can’t see "just" a $50 increase over the OLED either. The OLED is already $50 more expensive than the OG with just a new screen.

A brand new device with new internals, dock, joy-cons, etc. will be at least $100 more expensive than the OLED model. I’m thinking $449. Honestly, $400 would be really good, but I can’t see them pricing their brand new NEXT GEN console just $50 more than the OLED.

Of course, unless they do an official price cut of all the switch family of devices. That would lower the baseline.

Last edited:
I'd prefer less than 400 USD, so I at least would have a chance of grabbing a used unit in 2026 or later.

Like others have said, I expect a single $399 SKU but could see $429 max at launch.

$449 is a really risky price point because it’s within the ballpark of the 4k twins. However, I could see a launch bundle with some kind of must-have system showcase a la Wii Sports at this price working as an extra value proposition.

As for what that would be, it would depend on what is new (features-wise) about the next gen Switch. If AR functionality is in play like many have suspected, the first thing that springs to mind is something akin to Tomodochi Life.

I'm thinking somewhere between $400 and $450.

It's not gonna be cheaper than the OLED, but I think they still want to avoid the sticker shock of being $500 because that puts it a little too directly in comparison with the physical PS5 or the Xbox Series X.

I’m pretty sure it’ll be over 400$ but under 500$.

The most realistic good value you should hope for is 400$.

There’s 0% chance it’ll be lower.

I actually think everything but the $199 Lite or $299 regular may get phased out and sooner (like late 2024 or early 2025). An OLED Switch 1 really doesn't make sense next an LCD Switch 2 longer term. I also don't expect price drops at all and really we could even get a new low cost but feature improved Switch 1 model late next year or early 2025 to replace the entire line and reposition Switch 1 as the budget/kids platform for a few years next to the premium Switch 2 (a la New 2DS XL in 2017 existing next to Switch until 2020).

I think Switch 1 will still get software support through at least 2026 too. But it'll be more like late term 3DS support consisting of mostly catalog remasters, remakes, franchise remixes and maybe some random cross gen that scale well (like a Musou, puzzle game, etc). This'll be mostly 2nd or 3rd party developed fare too (so like Grezzo, Good-Feel, Omega Force, Jupiter, Tantalus, Bandai Namco, Arika, Eighting, etc, etc), inhouse dev will shift entirely to Switch 2 after their remaining 2024 titles come out, except for stuff like NERD GC/Wii emu-ports and NSO updates.

Yeah, even a new cheap switch 1 model could work, they can simply phase out lite and oled and sell Switch 1 without dock @200.

My point is that for the first two years I’m expecting:

• Switch 2 @ premium price (450)
  • minor title (+next Pokémon remake ) cross Gen
  • Switch 1 as cheap offer for children/casual/family

Based on the hardware specs that have been heavily speculated upon and leaked, I think $400 would be it. It's basically the same price adjusted for inflation as the OG Switch back in 2017 (and close to the inflation adjusted price of the Wii).

Having said that, if a) it's truly as capable as believed, b) western 3rd parties are impressed with the specs enough to increase support, and c) Nintendo launches the console with a strong 1st party lineup on par with BOTW>MK8D>Splatoon 2>Odyssey, I think $450 would also sell incredibly well. If it's so popular/capable that it gets GTA6 day and date with the other platforms, then you won't be able to find it on shelves for years even at $450.

if the 12 GB and DLSS 3.1 rumor is true then I expect $450-$500 US if Nintendo doesn't want to sell at a loss for the first few years

400-450$ sounds good i think.
I'll buy it day one regardless of the price.
While I'd buy it at $500, my concern for Nintendo is the competition that didn't exist in 2017. They're the #1 companion console right now and have been so successful that Sony, Valve, Asus, Lenovo, and others have been inspired to try and chip away at the high end handheld market.

If it's $350-400, I think they're all but guaranteed to sell another 130-150m Switches. The multitude of $500-700 gaming tablets will basically sell the Switch for Nintendo since it'll play the same games without fiddling with Windows or compatibility issues. If the price goes higher, then all of that goes away and it'll get dicey.

if the 12 GB and DLSS 3.1 rumor is true then I expect $450-$500 US if Nintendo doesn't want to sell at a loss for the first few years

Is $500 really necessary for 12GB RAM? And what does support for DLSS have to do with price point?

I’m not ruling it out yet, but a $200 jump over their previous launch price is quite a leap.

Last edited:
I imagine that they definitely want to keep the price below $399, but it wouldn't surprise me either if they have to settle for $429. I don't see it going any higher.

Personally I would prefer to pay less than $400, as I feel the true value of the Nintendo experience is not what it once was. But I don't see that happening with how Nintendo sets their prices (and hence their image), and anyways the consensus always seems to be $400 when this topic comes up.

Back
Top Bottom