• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic What Is The Best Nintendo Remaster: Wind Waker HD VS. Metroid Prime Remastered

Best Nintendo Remasters

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Prime easily. I didn't like the changes to the art direction in WWHD, it went overboard for my liking and I generally can't stand bloom. It just feels like someone did the game through ReShade (even if there's more to it than that). Metroid Prime keeps the art style in tact while upgrading the visuals which is super nice.

This is a tricky one.

The prime remastered is a better game, without a doubt. However due to the "only" differences between it and the gamecube/wii version being the visuals there is no quality of life improvements on the title. This means I could actually still pick up the wii/gamecube version without missing out on much.

The wind waker on the other hand I don't think I could replay that game without the red sail, even with the worse lighting the quality of life changes on wind waker are such that the original becomes obsolete.

Metroid Prime might have gotten the bigger graphical overhaul, but Wind Waker got the bigger gameplay changes by far.

Swift Sail, Gamepad integration, gyro controls, Miiverse support, Triforce Quest streamlining… the list goes on and on.

So my vote goes to Wind Waker.

I'd say Prime, the jump from the original is larger.
WW is also one of my all time favourites and is glorious in HD (IMO the whole 'they ruined the visuals' is hyperbolic nonsense) but was also a missed opportunity, they could have added the cut content to make a real definitive version.

The Wind Waker HD actually made me finally love the game just because of the enhanced navigation accessory and not having to re-watch the Song of Wind cutscene ALL. THE. TIME.

My god how they improved this game to 11.

They did a whole graphical overhaul with Prime. Wind Waker "only" got new lighting and some QoC changes.
Prime it is
The quality of life changes in Wind Waker were pretty good though.

I wish Metroid Prime got some QoL for the artifact quest. I'm not doing this without a guide, even if I already did the game multiple times lol

Its like comparing apples to oranges. Both are great in their own way. I dont think one is better than the other

The problem is that WW structurally is an incomplete game.
not if you like aren’t weird about it

like maybe they wanted to do more, maybe you wanted more, but the game that came out is good and is a complete released project, not just a bundle of potential

I swear if you just play it like you’re playing a video game it’s just an enjoyable completed game start to finish

it always bugs me when games get written off because of what they could have been but literally are not and haven’t been since the day they appeared

which reminds me I deeply truly need to replay WWHD again soon, though I would prefer to do so on the Switch. I can dream…

not if you like aren’t weird about it

like maybe they wanted to do more, maybe you wanted more, but the game that came out is good and is a complete released project, not just a bundle of potential

I swear if you just play it like you’re playing a video game it’s just an enjoyable completed game start to finish

it always bugs me when games get written off because of what they could have been but literally are not and haven’t been since the day they appeared

which reminds me I deeply truly need to replay WWHD again soon, though I would prefer to do so on the Switch. I can dream…
WW dungeons pale in a lot of complexity to Ocarina and MM or the Oracle games and the sea is too large for how much is reused content with little to do in.

These are things that genuinely could have used a second pass. And even if the intention was for them to be linear with a low skill ceiling, we have an example of a Zelda game that did the style part better being Twilight Princess. Those dungeons are low on the complexity scale, but also have the sheer novelty and absolutely novel vistas pushing them forward. Even Minish Cap used more engaging room by room puzzle design than WW did while still being linear.

The Cursed Great Sea segment just involves you sailing from one side of the ocean to the next, and it doesn't even tell you you have free reign to explore, so for a first time player it is just very straight forward and empty compared to the two dungeons you did.

There's just a lot of blind spots in WW. As much as I love the game there are structural problems that were given pretty slapdash solutions. I don't need the 2nd overworld idea if it wouldn't work, or even the missing dungeons. But I think the replacements we got for those ideas were not a result of creative exploration, but time restrictions. "What can we make in place of a dungeon on Greatfish Isle? Let's have the player sail from one side of the sea to the next with a different music track."

Last thing I wanna say about WW itself in this thread, since I don't wanna go over all my problems with that game in a thread that isn't about that. You can DM me if you wanna continue.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom