• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic What Is The Best Nintendo Remaster: Wind Waker HD VS. Metroid Prime Remastered

Best Nintendo Remasters

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Prime.

Wind Waker HD is pretty but I prefer the flat toon shading of the original.

This is remasteres and not remakes, so not 3ds zelda's
I stand firm by my stance that trying to draw a line between the 3DS Zelda remakes and the Wii U ones is pointless

(as is drawing a line between remasters and remakes to start but that's a whole can of worms)

Definitely Metroid Prime. I don't necessarily prefer either over the originals, but Prime looks like "how you remember it" while Wind Waker just ruins the visuals.

Wind Waker made some small, but meaningful changes, Metroid Prime was just a facelift.

This goes to Wind Waker for me.

They did a whole graphical overhaul with Prime. Wind Waker "only" got new lighting and some QoC changes.
Prime it is
And even then, the lighting changes were made as a test for BoTW and not as an actual remaster, hence a lot of the graphical inconsistencies between the remake and original. It just happened to become a remaster because "why not?"

Prime is trying to keep in line with the original's style while still adding proper QoL features.

And the thing is, I don't think WW really needed the same model overhaul Prime got, but lighting more in line with the original would have been nice.

Unfortunately Windwaker HD ruined the one aspect that made the OG a decent game: The graphics. Excessive amounts of bloom lighting, and everything looked really faded and washed over. The OG was super bold and saturated in it's colours and absolutely beautiful. But gameplay wise it's a distant last place in terms of the classic formula of 3D Zeldas, and my second least favorite Zelda game overall right in front of BotW.

Prime remastered does make a few annoying changes, but overall it's a pretty immaculate remaster, and one of the best games of all time with timeless design, and PR keeps it all in tact.

A lot of people really didn't like what they did with Wind Waker HD's graphics. I didn't think they were so bad, but... they weren't great.

Wind Waker did get some meaningful improvements to the game itself, though, which Prime didn't, other than new control schemes. But Prime didn't need them.

My vote goes to Prime as the actual visual remastering work is simply perfect.

Graphically they did a much better job with the metroid prime remaster.
As far as changes to the games, Windwaker hd gave us the Swift Sail which is an amazing improvement to the game plus they made the Gallery Figurines side quest actually fun by letting you hold more than 3 photos at a time. Also the triforce shard quest is less tedious.
On the other hand Metroid Prime Remaster gave us twin stick controls plus gyro and that makes the game much better to play.
It's a though competition but I think Metroid Prime got the better remaster, it looks amazing and more reminiscent of the original and the dual stick controls are a great improvement, but I won't devalue how the swift sails because that's such a great addition, but maybe they shouldn't have gone overboard with the bloom.

A lot of people really didn't like what they did with Wind Waker HD's graphics. I didn't think they were so bad, but... they weren't great.

Wind Waker did get some meaningful improvements to the game itself, though, which Prime didn't, other than new control schemes. But Prime didn't need them.

My vote goes to Prime as the actual visual remastering work is simply perfect.

The problem is that WW structurally is an incomplete game. It was born a rushed incomplete product that had to slap together a lot of filler to make due with missing dungeons/content. Prime was as complete as it needed to be, barring a few small ideas on the cutting room floor.

WW needs a lot more than even a few QoL solutions provide. Prime is fine with improving the control options.

I like the Wind Waker HD's graphics a lot. It's the way I first played Wind Waker so it doesn't look "wrong" to me even if I've occassionally seen footage where I understood what people were complaining about.

That being said it's Prime. I think it's genuinely way, way harder to keep true to the original art design of a game, while also completely redoing everything, than people think. Not only did Prime redo just about every texture (which iirc, WWHD doesn't do?), but I think the art design is mostly intact, save for maybe some parts where it feels like the lighting of the original had to be held back because of hardware (some scenes are much brighter in Remastered).

I think if we're not counting OoT3D and MM3D as remasters, then WWHD, Prime Remastered, 3D World + Bowser's Fury, and Xenoblade DE count as the best Nintendo has ever done

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition vs Metroid Prime Remaster is a much better comparison.

WWHD vs MPR is a blowout for MPR

The problem is that WW structurally is an incomplete game. It was born a rushed incomplete product that had to slap together a lot of filler to make due with missing dungeons/content. Prime was as complete as it needed to be, barring a few small ideas on the cutting room floor.

WW needs a lot more than even a few QoL solutions provide. Prime is fine with improving the control options.
Exactly. Couldn't agree more.

That said, for as incomplete as it is, I still love Wind Waker. It was a magical experience to me.

Not exactly a comparison of their remasters, but I played WW HD and Metroid Prime on Wii, and I enjoyed WW HD a lot more.

Prime was as complete as it needed to be, barring a few small ideas on the cutting room floor.
Nah, the second half isn't even necessary. A well-managed/directed game almost always leaves ideas out. It was indeed as complete as it needed to be, regardless of what was scrapped.

(Also, not all cuts are even time related. Sometimes ideas are scrapped because they just don't make the game better.)

If Xenoblade DE were in 900p it'd fare much better 🙃

Wind Waker got overhauled textures and new lighting. Prime got that, but also got all the models remade from ground up.

Prime Remastered is a visual remake of Prime so it's the winner, clearly.

Best actual remaster tho is Wind Waker by a huge margin tho.

Metroid Prime Remastered made a game of a generation even better.

Wind Waker HD just polished, yet not fixed, an extremely rushed and sincerely dull game.

Honestly, I’ve never cared for how Wind Waker on the GameCube looked, and I think it’s honestly aged rather poorly. Wind Waker HD is a significant improvement in the visuals department for me.

It’s not an entirely fair comparison, as I only started playing Prime Remastered today, but from what I’ve played so far I prefer Wind Waker as a game. Add in the tweaks WWHD made compared to the strict visual upgrades that MPR got, and my vote goes to WWHD for now. Maybe MPR will win me over as time goes on though.

A lot of people didn't likr the eccessive bloom in Wind Waker, but I think the more fundamental problem with the WW remaster is it was an imperfect game (sorry i'm going to get hate mail) that was only modeslty tweaked. Traversal and the triforce map quests was fixed, the graphics received an uplift, but the imperfections remain, mainly the cut content.

Metroid Prime was/is a top 10 game of all time that just got a major facelift without sacrificing its playability. The low price of entry is a bonus. And I strongly suspect it may not last, given how physical is sold out almost everwhere. Nintendo didn't expect this kind of reaction for sure.

Last edited:
Prime had more done to it than Wind Waker, but Wind Waker is the better game so i'm gonna go with Wind Waker

Aside from the naming, what are the differences between prime remastered and the 3D Zelda games? Both are full graphical overhauls while keeping the rest of the game (animations, sound, etc) untouched, so prime remastered would be more close to them than to ww/tp hd.

Havent played Prime yet but WWHD is a sidegrade. SSHD is the better Zelda remaster.

Wind Waker HD turns a great game into a brilliant one IMO that makes it seriously compete for my favorite in the Zelda series all around. Prime Remastered makes an already brilliant game look more modern. They're both great, but Wind Waker simply does more for the game it's trying to bring to modern hardware in my opinion and I also really loved the way it looked too. Both are really great conversions done with different mindsets and represent Nintendo bringing beloved GameCube classics to the HD era.

NOW IF NINTENDO WOULD JUST RE-RELEASE IT ON SWITCH WITH TWILIGHT PRINCESS HD SO IT CAN BE THE DEFINITIVE 3D ZELDA MACHINE.

I have to agree that XCDE is a better competition for MPR and quite frankly, the former excels it in a lot of ways and is very appropriate for the JRPG of a generation to get such treatment.

WW on the other hand was never the adventure game of its generation, hell, it wasn't even the best Zelda of its generation because Twilight Princess still exists and while WW is without a doubt a better looking game, TP will always be the most consistent one (Speaking of which, TP will benefit the most from a remake that can create actual great looking visuals).

One of these is a remaster of a good game, the other is Wind Waker. I rest my case.

In all seriousness, MPR is a much greater visual overhaul than WWHD, and looks better too imo, so the superior remaster is a pretty easy choice for me.

You know, as a remaster/remake WW does more so it's probably the right answer but metroid prime is so much better than wind waker that it doesn't really matter

It's not hard when Metroid looks like you remember the game (and then you look at them side by side and notice how the original aged) and Zelda made fans upset with the amount of Bloom on a game that looked timeless by itself already.

Wind Waker HD (and TP and SS) aren't really remasters, they're HD ports. Mostly only upscaled with QoL improvements. TP did get some new textures I think? And with WW they added a new lighting system. Maybe that's what people would classify as a remaster, but I don't think they touched anything else really.

I would compare Prime Remaster to the 3DS remasters. But I haven't played Prime Remaster yet, so I don't know the answer.

I would say that the 3DS Zeldas are closer to Metroid Prime Remake than Wind Waker

Touch screen support aside, the improvements are basically the same, just with the extra of better framerate.

I would compare Prime Remaster to the 3DS remasters. But I haven't played Prime Remaster yet, so I don't know the answer.
I haven't played it either, but for all i know Metroid Prime Remaster is between the 3DS Zeldas and Starfox 3D. SF3D completely renewed the graphics but also went a touch farther with a new - and way weaker - soundtrack, while the 3DS Zeldas only remade the graphics but not enough to shine as much as MPR (They feel like souped up N64 games some times)

I wouldn't even say Wind Waker HD's visuals are a unanimous improvement over the original, in some cases the gradient shading just looks plain doodoo

The new dual stick control scheme did wonders to sway the larger public into enjoying Prime.

Metroid Prime is a far superior game than The Wind Waker but the better remaster? Definitely tougher to answer.

Wind Waker HD probably fixes more QoL faults over the original than the Prime remaster does.

Visually it will depend on taste but I liked how the Wind Waker HD looked overall. I must say though that Prime looks particularly outstanding to the point it looks like a PS4 game at times.

I haven't played Metroid Prime Remastered yet, but from the footage I've seen it's better. Wind Waker HD is still an unfinished game that butchered the artstyle, and doesn't include all the content from the original release. WWHD might have more QoL improvements than Prime, but that's because the game had significantly more to improve upon.

It will be interesting to see how they handle the next Wind Waker release. There's a lot still to improve, but I have doubts they'll meet my expectations.

I still can't get over how when Link grabs something out of a chest in WWHD he looks like a crappy plastic toy, so gonna go with the opposite of that.

At the time i played it, WW felt like a complete package to me. I wouldn't even notice the game was rushed out if i hadn't read it somewhere. Would have to play it again to see if my perception would change, but i still have a lot of fond memories of it

Wind Waker HD for me, even it it's close. Prime's complete visual overhaul looks stunning, but Wind Waker HD.. dang.. when being in Windfall Island, during the day, I feel like very few things come close to it in terms of video game graphics. Bring on the bloom, baby!

Add to that the amazing difference that having items on the GamePad does for gameplay, I think that WWHD in general is a bigger QoL facelift.

Back
Top Bottom