• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What is the best kingdom in Super Mario Odyssey?

LukasManak22

who the fuck is that
For me it's definitely Bowser's Kingdom, i also really liked Ruined Kingdom that was really cool and unexpected i wished it was bigger and not just boss area.

BowsersKingdom_Header.jpg

I was going to say Ruined Kingdom too lol. There is a lot of lore in the game too lol.

Overall I think Metro Kingdom as jumping from building to building was cool.

Lots of good stuff though all round.

For me it's between Wooded, Metro, and Bowser's.

Bowser's is great not just because of the awesome Japanese aesthetic, but it also feels like a callback to the Mario 64 Bowser courses in structure to me.

Metro has that dramatic stormy night intro, then transitions to a bustling Sonic Adventure hub world to bounce around in for a while, before concluding with the big festival finale. It's a nice three act affair.

Wooded though has the best use of the experimental soundtrack moments, where the boppin' music on the more platformy side of the woods highlights the action, while the quiet ambiance on the underside, broken by the occasional roar in the distance make that one of my favorite moments in the whole game when you first discover it.

Honestly, it's easier for me to pick my least favorite world.

Metro Kingdom for me. It's the total package. Great scenario in the story. Amazing platforming across rooftops and skyscrapers with a bunch of ways to get around. A big city that we don't really get in main Mario platformers, and one themed after NYC to boot - as someone who lived in NYC for most of his life, that was a treat. Lots of loving references to Donkey Kong and the return (and glow up) of Pauline.

I also find it neat how, after the initial rainstorm, the main area of New Donk City lacks any enemies yet manages to still be fun on the sheer platforming alone.

Metro Kingdom is easily my favorite. Great introduction with the stormy night, overall great design, lots of DK references, Mayor Pauline, and a great outro with the festival at night. Easily the most memorable Kingdom in the game.

Bonus points to Sand Kingdom. Usually I'm not a fan of the desert worlds, but I think they did an amazing job here at taking Mexican culture and blending it with Mario lore.

Metro Kingdom easily, it's the most lived-in setting and it's unlike anything we've really gotten in 3D Mario before, besides maybe Delfino Plaza. The Superstar sequence obviously being the highlight, but it's probably level the best for showing off Mario's moveset and letting him run wild.

Second would be Wooded Kingdom as it's similarly big and expansive, with a really cool theme of combining a forest with technology. It kind of reminded me of the sort of setting you'd see in early Sonic games, which had a nature vs. technology theme.

Overall though I feel like perhaps my biggest criticism with Odyssey is how polarizing its worlds are. While there's great ones like I mentioned, and Sand Kingdom, there's others I just don't care for at all like Luncheon and Seaside. Some of the more interesting ones are smaller in scope too, like Bowser's Kingdom and Ruined Kingdom, which is disappointing. I feel like compared to other collectathons the overall enjoyment factor of the worlds really ping pongs.

Metro isn't the best looking kingdom, nor does it have the best level desing. However it does have the festival sequence with Jump-up Superstar, and considering this is one of the most magical moment in gaming, that's enough to make Metro the best kingdom.

My favorites are Sand, Seaside, and Lost Kingdoms. The former two are mainly due to aesthetics (I love desert and especially tropical settings... a big reason Sunshine is the GOAT to me) and the latter is just a fun platforming stage that felt the most "Mario-esque" to me.

Hmmmm I can’t really decide! I think Wooded, Metro and Sand are all great.

But I’ll throw in Lost too. It’s one of the smaller ones, but I love the platforming and the atmosphere of it.

Metro no doubt. Easily has the best platforming with the whole jumping across rooftops thing.

Honorable mentions to Sand and Forest because of how huge and varied they are, and how cool their aesthetics and characters are.

Bowser's Kingdom for sure. It made me realize just how much more I like focused, linear levels in Mario games instead of big sandboxes

Metro Kingdom is the best, but I have a very soft spot for Post and Lucheon Kingdom.

Sand Kingdom has amazing spots and the inverted pyramid is absolutely one of the best parts of the entire game.

But I still gotta go with Metro just because of the retro callback at the end. It is the single best part of the entire game and a fantastic nostalgiabomb.

Bowser's Kingdom and Metro Kingdom are my two faves, with Sand and Seaside not far behind.

It's probably Sand Kingdom for me - Love that weird place.

I really should play this game again.. helluva game.

Although I said Metro is my favorite, I'm also pretty fond of Lost Kingdom - after the massive Wooded Kingdom and a Bowser battle, it was nice to have a smaller, 64 level-sized world to chew through before the also massive New Donk City. The more linear run of Ruined, Bowser's and Moon Kingdoms in the endgame was also a delight.

One of Odyssey's strengths is the world variety - not just in aesthetics and mechanics but also in scope. The worlds bounce around between larger and smaller, more linear vs more open areas. Right when I start to tire of a big world, you get a more compact one to help keep the pace up. It feels really well balanced.

Hmmmm I can’t really decide! I think Wooded, Metro and Sand are all great.

But I’ll throw in Lost too. It’s one of the smaller ones, but I love the platforming and the atmosphere of it.
Lost Kingdom is also really good. It feels like a Mario 64 level transported to Odyssey, and I mean that in the best way possible.

I liked them all, I can’t remember having a favourite. Odyssey is also my favourite Mario game. I only played through it once back when it released, but I remember it being a fun ride through nice looking worlds I can’t remember the names of.

It would have been great to have a final world that was just a crazy mashup of all the others. Just full of complete chaos lol.

Bowser's Kingdom.
The music and aesthetic were amazing, and the woodpecker baddies were my favourite capture-able enemy to play as in the whole game.

This is one of those questions with no easy answer. Metro Kingdom was a super fun platforming playground but I think I’ll tip my hat to Seaside Kingdom. Lovely tropical setting, super cool fizzy HD Rumble, the duality of topside and underwater, those fun jet-squid captures…

the woodpecker baddies were my favourite capture-able enemy to play as in the whole game.
The Pokios (and a few other enemies) could seriously sustain their own standalone games. Their movesets are sooo good.

Hmmm, I would say it would be Lost, Luncheon, and Seaside, the latter finally being a water based world I enjoyed, and I enjoyed the pirate theme. Luncheon was just so classic and distinctly Mario in its weirdness.

Bowser’s Kingdom is also up there, because it’s just pure platforming bliss and it had an awesome boss battle. Metro was also just a really fun playground with lots of things to discover.

I think Lost is my top though. It’s small, but thematically, it hits all the right notes.

Metro is probably most impressive, and the one that best takes advantage of the game’s ridiculous move set, but Lake Kingdon is my personal favorite. It’s just so beautiful and dreamy. Reminds me of Jolly Roger Bay.

probably a minority opinion but i loved everything about seaside kingdom

I feel it's somewhat underrated. The water turbo jet is one of the most fun power-ups, music is nice and I loved the boss fight.

The Snow Kingdom would be what I would imagine most people classify as worst.

Sand Kingdom has amazing spots and the inverted pyramid is absolutely one of the best parts of the entire game.

But I still gotta go with Metro just because of the retro callback at the end. It is the single best part of the entire game and a fantastic nostalgiabomb.
These are my two favorites, but I'd put Sand on top. There was just so much to discover there.

Luncheon kingdom for me. It's the place where the serious challenging platforming throughout a whole kingdom starts and I wish the whole game was like that.

I honestly can't think of a single Kingdom I didn't love (maybe Cloud Kingdom? There wasn't much there, and it doesn't have the Ruined Kingdom's aesthetic coolness to cover for that) but my favorite would be either Seaside or Metro.

Metro and Bowser are the two highlights for me. The Mushroom Kingdom and The Darker Side of the Moon are also awesome. I wish the Ruined Kingdom was a full level, maybe if we get an Odyssey 2.

It may not be the best Kingdom, but I will never forget the pure elation I had when I realized I had to capture one of those Good Round Bois to compete in the race.
The Boi
Shiverian_1.JPG
I'm a huge mark for snow/ice levels, but it's on the more forgettable side. Not much to the level besides big boy racing. But I like it overall.
Yeah, Freezeezy Peak this was not unfortunately.
Snow Kingdom is one of the worst levels I've ever played in a 3D Mario game. Not because it's bad, but because it's so meh.
There are smaller Kingdoms that feel more impactful, and much larger kingdoms that you want to return to after spending forever there on the first visit. Snow Kingdom feels like it needed an extra something. Not sure what exactly.

The Boi
Shiverian_1.JPG

Yeah, Freezeezy Peak this was not unfortunately.

There are smaller Kingdoms that feel more impactful, and much larger kingdoms that you want to return to after spending forever there on the first visit. Snow Kingdom feels like it needed an extra something. Not sure what exactly.

IMO, the whole town needed to be above ground. It's a winter own.... but you never actually see snow. Imagine trekking through a snowstorm and seeing warm lights in the distance, then coming across a nice winter town. That would have been great. And the kingdom itself needed a better theme than just snow. What about an mountain town? Or a mine? Or a Christmas village? The Kingdom felt like an afterthought.

IMO, the whole town needed to be above ground. It's a winter own.... but you never actually see snow. Imagine trekking through a snowstorm and seeing warm lights in the distance, then coming across a nice winter town. That would have been great. And the kingdom itself needed a better theme than just snow. What about an mountain town? Or a mine? Or a Christmas village? The Kingdom felt like an afterthought.
On the other hand, I think there's a lovely contrast between the ferocious storm outside and going indoors, not knowing what you'll see, and finding the delightful little community of Big Round Bois that just warms my heart.

I do agree that the world could have more of a theme than...well, snow and racing. It's fine but a bit plain, and the whole four challenges thing is less organic of a structure than the other worlds.

Coming right after a strong string of memorable Kingdoms probably doesn't help matters.

Back
Top Bottom