• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What is a new hobby you got into recently?

Baphomet

Cappy
I've been retired for a while and being at home all day sucks. My best friend got me into the Pokemon TCG and at least twice a week we go to our local gameshops and play and improve our decks. It's always fun finding reasons to leave the house.

I've recently started writing prose in addition to poetry. It's harder, more long-form, and it's tough to me to think of characters and events as opposed to just concepts present in poems, but it's also quite rewarding.

It is unhealthy for the wallet but I've found myself in Lego hell. I'm only focusing on gaming related sets (specifically building towards an unofficial official Smash Bros) but darn, the deeper I go; the more tempting it is to splurge on all those other big, massive sets.

If Lego (or really, any of the other brick construction brands) released any officially licensed Monster Hunter sets, I am going to be so broke.

Reading has always been my favorite hobby. I find it addictive and captivating, and I've never been able to find anything that comes close. It truly defines my life.

Model Kits. Never had the patience to do them as a kid, but now times have changed and I quite enjoy them.

Me and a friend have started playing chess, only we modify the rule set every time we play. For instance, last time we played together we had it so that you had to play rock paper scissors to kill a piece, otherwise your own piece would get killed. That was one of our weaker ideas, but it was still fun, as it added for more value to pawns as potential easy kills on the more advanced pieces. The best rule set we came up with so far is pawn throwing chess, where the king can throw pawns he‘s next to three spaces in any direction. Kinda surprised nobody came up with “chess but you could change the rules” yet, it would certainly find some love

I started a NAS which is basically a home server that I can have all my media on. I have 8tb of storage on it so far. I have like 100 movies and 30 animes on it as well as like every ps1 to every wii game on it. So if im out of town I can just stream stuff even game isos from it and play them remotely or download them from my nas to any device I am on. I love tinkering with tech and this time the nas is a blessing. Its like my own personal digital data vault. I also stopped paying for all my streaming services like spotify, hulu etc cuz I can just pull all my music,movies, and games from it any time I want.

Pinball! A local store has 20 or so machines and hosts a league and weekly tournament. The tournaments draw a pretty good crowd and pinball players are some pf the nicest people around (because they’re actual people you see regularly - no abstraction behind a screen name). Pinball is also actually super fun, and learning the rules of a table is very gratifying.

As someone with a bit of social anxiety it’s been a great way to get out more and interact with others.

I started a NAS which is basically a home server that I can have all my media on. I have 8tb of storage on it so far. I have like 100 movies and 30 animes on it as well as like every ps1 to every wii game on it. So if im out of town I can just stream stuff even game isos from it and play them remotely or download them from my nas to any device I am on. I love tinkering with tech and this time the nas is a blessing. Its like my own personal digital data vault. I also stopped paying for all my streaming services like spotify, hulu etc cuz I can just pull all my music,movies, and games from it any time I want.
Nice. I never thought of this as a hobby but I love my NAS too. I like blu-ray a lot, but for TV and some movies I love being able to stream stuff. I would like to get a faster NAS with more storage, as mine is an old Synology (216 or something) that is kind of a pain to interact with. I just moved my Kodi DB to the NAS itself, so now I can resume movies and episodes from anywhere. I don't stream outside the house though, I think that would be way beyond my little box. I don't have any games either, never figured out how to get it working on Kodi!

Nice. I never thought of this as a hobby but I love my NAS too. I like blu-ray a lot, but for TV and some movies I love being able to stream stuff. I would like to get a faster NAS with more storage, as mine is an old Synology (216 or something) that is kind of a pain to interact with. I just moved my Kodi DB to the NAS itself, so now I can resume movies and episodes from anywhere. I don't stream outside the house though, I think that would be way beyond my little box. I don't have any games either, never figured out how to get it working on Kodi!
I meant it like data hoarding as my new hobby. Idk y its so fun to me that I have my own giant libary of things lol. And for games I just use a file browser into my nas and pull the rom or iso directly into the system Im emulating it on or if its a pc game backup I just run the exe from it and install it remotely. Its very snappy I installed Skyrim the other day in like 3 minutes and I was in another city

I meant it like data hoarding as my new hobby. Idk y its so fun to me that I have my own giant libary of things lol. And for games I just use a file browser into my nas and pull the rom or iso directly into the system Im emulating it on or if its a pc game backup I just run the exe from it and install it remotely. Its very snappy I installed Skyrim the other day in like 3 minutes and I was in another city
Data hoarding (archiving? lol) is definitely part of it for me too, although I do like to nerd out with connecting up different download services and stuff.

I am currently learning to sew.

fCc2Xkb.jpg

If going to the gym counts as a hobby then that. I've gone 5 weeks now and had to get a new belt.

Building guitar effects pedals! It scratches the nerdy tinkerer side of my brain, and gives me a practical reason to do so as a guitar player. Expensive, frustrating, and fun.

I am tentatively dipping my toes into Lego after getting a few boxes here and there as gifts, and just completed my botanical succulents. This is now in addition to my NES, Boba Fett helmet, and two lovebirds mini set.

But god if I can save enough to justify the A-Frame cabin set, hoo lord that's what I have my eye on next

Drawing. I've always wanted to be good at drawing but I just dismissed it as something "I'm not naturally good at, so I guess it's not for me." The recent death of Toriyama-sensei has inspired me to teach myself the fundamentals.

Reading; I started to actively read about a year ago when I read Crime & Punishment by Dostoevsky, and have read a lot more books since then (specifically East of Eden, No Longer Human, two Philip K Dick books, Notes from Underground, and more). Once I have more time, I plan on reading Dostoevsky’s The Idiot next.

Lawn care/landscaping!
Yeah! Right there with ya

After reclaiming my rock filled yard from the weeds our monsoons brought up I decided to make a little garden. Now to watch as it hits >100°F all of a sudden and turn it back into dust.

I hope that's not the case but history says otherwise. Damn Arizona

My friends and I in the last few months have really been all in on going to the movies. With reports about people losing their “third place”, it’s been a great excuse to get us all together, and thanks to A-List I saw a lot of good movies I never would’ve given a chance. Shout out to Lisa Frankenstein.

Back
Top Bottom