• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club What is a “Street Fighter” to you?

To you, what is a “Street Fighter?”

• Total voters

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
Just as the thread title asks: to you, what is a Street Fighter? A street that fights? Or someone who fights streets?

SesameStreetShow_small.png

I don't think the etymology makes sense for "a street that fights"

Buffy The Vampire Slayer slays vampires, she isn't a vampire that slays

Someone who grew up getting beat up as a "roads" scholar in school by the "bully-vards", so they in turn became someone who fought streets? I dunno. I'm winging this.

I don't think the etymology makes sense for "a street that fights"

Buffy The Vampire Slayer slays vampires, she isn't a vampire that slays
I am a human being

A being that is human

A street fighter

Is a fighter that is street

interestingly we have an example in common usage: street vendor

a vendor on the street

I always thought that street fighter meant one who street fights but it could also mean a fighter on the street

I feel like you'd place the emphasis differently depending on which it is

the former would be more like STREET fighter and the latter more like street FIGHTer

thank you all for attending my ted talk

Capcom just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Street Fighter (I'm an expert), but street and fighters are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Mortal Kombat where you can become successful by being a mortal who combats. If a street fights in Street Fighter, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is to fight a street.
What this means is the Street Fighters, after hearing about this, are not going to want to fight a street, nor a street will fight. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Capcom has alienated an entire market with this title.
Capcom, publicly apologize and cancel Street Fighter or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Street Fighter (I'm an expert), but street and fighters are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Mortal Kombat where you can become successful by being a mortal who combats. If a street fights in Street Fighter, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is to fight a street.
What this means is the Street Fighters, after hearing about this, are not going to want to fight a street, nor a street will fight. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Capcom has alienated an entire market with this title.
Capcom, publicly apologize and cancel Street Fighter or you can kiss your business goodbye.
This is now my favorite version of the meme 🤣

in the ard cade.
straight up "figting it".
and by it,
haha,
well.
let's justr say.
My streats

Someone who fights streets, clearly. In Europe we call them "Deurbanizers".

Last edited:
Terry Bogard is the physical representation of a Street Fighter.

While they may have some traditional martial arts training, for a very long time Terry's fights were held exclusively in the backstreets of a sprawling Florida metropolis to take down the corrupt politician making his town worse.

Back
Top Bottom