• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What If: The Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga remake was on the Switch

• Thread starter Deleted member 4629
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4629

H2x1_3DS_MarioAndLuigiSuperstarSagaPlusBowsersMinions_image1600w.jpg

Imagine a world...Where Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions which was originally released for the 3DS on October 7th 2017 was developed for the Switch instead? How would the game be changed for the Switch? Could it have saved AlphaDream and the Mario & Luigi series?

Or alternatively...What if Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey which was originally released for the Nintendo 3DS on January 25 2019 was developed for the Switch instead? Could it have saved the series?

Please share your thoughts down below!

We have reason to believe AlphaDream was doomed regardless of the remakes; they were working on an HD project at the time and their resources were likely stretched too thin.

I've only played bowser inside story but I'd immediately buy any mario&luigi games. It probably wouldve sold quite a bit more depending on when it came to switch

I thought the issue was that alpha dream couldn’t afford to keep up with hd development costs. Sad nintendo couldn’t help them out

Alphadream mishandled a lot of things about their production, and were caught off guard by the sudden need to jump into HD game development from low spec handhelds.

They were kinda doomed regardless.

I wonder where the people at the company ended up landing. Hopefully Nintendo manage to save a lot of them from the sinking ship.

Beyond the fact that AlphaDream had other issues, it wouldn't have sold that well on Switch. It would have sold well for a port, but it would be like a myriad of other smaller ports on Switch that did good numbers but nothing insane.

given that this hypothetical implies that alphadream had enough of their shit together to actually release a title on switch, it probably would've at least kept the series trucking even if it wouldn't have been an overwhelming success, but i suspect nintendo would've been able to market it pretty well if they had.

but alphadream's issues were so deep that they were never in a situation where this could happen which renders the question moot.

Beyond the fact that AlphaDream had other issues, it wouldn't have sold that well on Switch. It would have sold well for a port, but it would be like a myriad of other smaller ports on Switch that did good numbers but nothing insane.
It would have sold well if it came out 2017, a launch year title.

Early 1st Party Games get great sales boosts. Stuff like Mario and Rabids was selling very well back then.

Not sure if it would but those late 3DS games was a waste and sold poorly.
Ultra Sun - Moon, Samus Returns, Luigi's Mansion remake, Wario Ware Gold, Bower's Inside Story should all have been migrated on Switch during development.

I’d like to think that a hypothetical M&L SSS HD Remaster could work as a way to introduce the Switch audience to the M&L brand and then expand it.

But I fear Super Mario RPG is gonna be the mainline RPG spinoff series of the Mario brand.

No. It would've been far too expensive to make and would've taken too long to develop for Alphadream at the time; and this was before HD-2D became a proven success, so it's unlikely that they would've thought to take that route before Octopath Traveller blew up.

I think it would have made more sense to do that, but as others have stated it looks like AlphaDream was in trouble already by 2017. However, they really should not have released the remake of Bowser’s Inside Story when they did, that was just a very poor business decision on their part.

I don't think that would have saved alpha dream, but luckily and iirc a lot of their staff we to to Nintendo after the closure of the studio.

That said I have to say I don't think either the remakes would have done great on switch. And in my opinion, they looked a bit bland, without character. The original game is absolutely gorgeous, I'm replaying it now on switch and it has an amazing use of sprites.

If the remake landed on Switch we'd have had triple the complaints about every minor change and hours hours of discussions about the Mario Mandate so, in a way, I'm glad it didn't come to Switch.

If the remake landed on Switch we'd have had triple the complaints about every minor change and hours hours of discussions about the Mario Mandate so, in a way, I'm glad it didn't come to Switch.
Triple the complaints because 3x as many of us would've bought it. 👍

I don't think that would have saved alpha dream, but luckily and iirc a lot of their staff we to to Nintendo after the closure of the studio.

That said I have to say I don't think either the remakes would have done great on switch. And in my opinion, they looked a bit bland, without character. The original game is absolutely gorgeous, I'm replaying it now on switch and it has an amazing use of sprites.
I played the super star saga and bowsers story remakes back to back recently. I actually quite like the new art. Dont get me wrong, the original sprite work is gorgeous. But the new ones look like high quality mario and luigi cartoons. I bet they would have looked nice in hd tbh

I think it would have made more sense to do that, but as others have stated it looks like AlphaDream was in trouble already by 2017. However, they really should not have released the remake of Bowser’s Inside Story when they did, that was just a very poor business decision on their part.

It always felt like they didn't really have a choice.

Making the remake of what was then their most successful entry in their major series was already an attempt at a hail mary for a company that was on the verge of collapse anyway. They didn't have any notable talent on 3D modelling (hence why several parts of the later M&L games were outsourced to those who did) and they didn't have the capability to make 1080p sprite art versions or deal with the immediate problem that any switch game would require them to either do everything twice, or use some sort of scaling between the handheld and docked modes that nobody would have liked.

or deal with the immediate problem that any switch game would require them to either do everything twice, or use some sort of scaling between the handheld and docked modes that nobody would have liked.
This hasn't really been a problem for other 2D games.

Alpha Dream seemed to be on that slow running train crash and nothing was stopping them from going under.

Short of a new dev team taking over the franchise, I'm guessing that it is dead since Nintendo is probably not going to put any serious effort internally into it. I'm guessing that the most we will ever get is NSO releases for most of the games and that will be it.

Odds are there would be no remakes, AD just goes out of business sooner due to not having the small influx of money from those 3ds remakes.

It would have been a 3-4 million seller on Switch. Yes it could have saved AlphaDream.

If they could somehow get a Switch game off the ground... I dunno. As noted, doing a remake of Bowser's Inside Story was most likely their last ditch attempt to stay afloat, otherwise they would have done a remake of the next game in line, Partners in Time. Making a Switch game would have been a greater expense given HD development (and assuming they even had the means for such a move), so even with the console's more active install base, it would have been a big gamble for the studio anyway since it would have to sell far more copies than whatever they hoped the 3DS remake would have done.

It still a possibility, you know. Every character in the series is fully owned by Nintendo. 1 and 3 have already been remade, maybe Nintendo could give someone else to remake the Partners in Time to release Trilogy pack on Switch.

It still a possibility, you know. Every character in the series is fully owned by Nintendo. 1 and 3 have already been remade, maybe Nintendo could give someone else to remake the Partners in Time to release Trilogy pack on Switch.

They deliberately skipped partners in time because it's crap to begin with.

Besides, you cannot just port the games and have it come out well. You'd need to remake them all again because sprite art doesn't and cannot scale well going from the tiny 3DS resolution to 1080p or more. That future proofing is one of the major reasons large companies aren't so interested in sprite art any mkee

I think it could've done quite well for a Mario RPG but it wouldn't have saved AlphaDream as they were in a downward spiral after Bowser's Inside Story on DS. Dream Team did less than BIS, and Paper Jam did less than Dream Team to the point where Paper Jam was a massive sales disappointment and from it's release in 2015, it was basically over for AlphaDream.

They deliberately skipped partners in time because it's crap to begin with.

Besides, you cannot just port the games and have it come out well. You'd need to remake them all again because sprite art doesn't and cannot scale well going from the tiny 3DS resolution to 1080p or more. That future proofing is one of the major reasons large companies aren't so interested in sprite art any mkee
Ehh. Things like FF Pixel Remaster, Stardew Valley, and Terraria get away with being pretty low res 2D. Especially in a theoretical triple pack it's easier to get away with them not looking modern.

Back
Top Bottom