• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What has the better lineup of JRPGs: every Nintendo home console from the N64 to the Wii U, or the Switch by itself?

Home console with the better JRPG lineup

• N64+GameCube+Wii+Wii U

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Switch

Votes: 124 94.7%

• Total voters
I knew someone was gonna point that out lol. That progress doesn't carry over to the other player fundamentally change the multiplayer experience so I don't consider it as being available on both console. Unfortunate too since it was one of my most requested remake.
It's still easier to replay each stage 2-4 times then it is to have a gc, 2-4 gba, a copy of Crystal Chronicles, and 2-4 people locally to actually play the game as intended. I don't disagree that the gc version is superior in ideal circumstances, but for most people the modern port despite it's short comings is still far more accessible.

I say this as someone who's privileged to own all the above.

It's still easier to replay each stage 2-4 times then it is to have a gc, 2-4 gba, a copy of Crystal Chronicles, and 2-4 people locally to actually play the game as intended. I don't disagree that the gc version is superior in ideal circumstances, but for most people the modern port despite it's short comings is still far more accessible.

I say this as someone who's privileged to own all the above.
I don’t disagree with that at all. Pretty jealous, definitely didn’t get to play it the intended way back then. Still a very different experience so I don’t consider it to be ported.

Maybe if you did made for Switch original rpgs vs N64-WiiU original rpgs the discussion would be more interesting. If you include everything Switch absolutely massacres. A list of rpgs ported to the Switch could look indistinguishable from someone's top 10 rpgs of all time.

Final Fantasy 6/7/9/10/12
Persona 3-5
Xenoblade Chronicles
Skyrim
Undertale
Diablo 2-3
The Witcher 3
Tales of Symphona/Vesperia
The World Ends With You
Dragon Quest 3
KoToR
Planescape Torment
Grandia 1-2

Just to give a small sampling of things that are currently out.
I was just thinking about RPGs more broadly, there's soooo many. Also, while the original question is focused on JRPGs, but there's also "not-quite-JRPGs-that-are-masquerading":
  • Chained Echoes
  • Sea of Stars
  • Cross Code
  • Dark Deity
  • Battle Chasers Nightwar
  • Ruined King
OP's list is also missing Triangle Strategy, Monster Hunter Rise, Live A Live, Monster Hunter Stories 2, and Tactics Ogre Reborn. Soon there will be the Suikoden remakes, Star Ocean 2nd Story R, Eiyuden Hundred Heroes, and Dragon Quest 3 HD. Personally, there is no Nintendo system that comes anywhere close to the Switch.

Back
Top Bottom