• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What games make you feel ,,This is NG’’

Steve

Paratroopa
Pronouns
he/him
With us being in its later half of the PS5 and Xbox.

I’m curious, what are some games, that make you feel that it utilises its hardware, has some fantastic graphics or define this generation.

My pick are personally.
Alan Wake 2
FF16
RE4 remake

Like despite this generation being quite bleh with game output and still being stuck in cross generation games, out of everything I feel like Alan Wake 2 is probably my favourite looking and feeling game and it utilises the SSD beautifully, same goes for it lighting, it’s a shame that the game wasn’t a bigger success.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is the ultimate example. It has a fully functional iPod!

For this gen, nothing. It’s basically just the PS4 Pro Pro gen.

From a technical/graphical standpoint, I'm not sure that I've ever felt like that. Like, I have The Last of Us Part II Remastered on PS5, and I think it looks just as good and sometimes even better than FFVII Rebirth, FFXVI, Alan Wake 2 and Stellar Blade.

ALAN WAKE II

jbms2iZ.gif

Playing FFVII Rebirth right now and it is genuinely impressive-looking

Basically just a tech demo and not a game but this was the only thing this gen that actually made me feel like I was seeing the future.

maxresdefault.jpg

For this generation pretty much nothing. For previous generations:

N64: San Francisco Rush - It was the first game I saw on N64. I only knew Mario Kart and F-Zero on SNES as far as racing games go. And now you would go flying off the track, crashing into walls, exploding! It was insane to me what was on display here.

GameCube: Rogue Leader. Just wow at the time.

Absolutely nothing. The closest I've gotten is Astro's Playroom, a game that takes advantage of the DualSense neaaarly fully, but which graphically doesn't do a whole bunch more than PS4 other than resolution.

I like this generation, though! Honestly, gaming is better value than ever and the consoles having a gigantic library from carrying over the previous generation with minimal barriers is a good thing.

Think of the perspective of someone who missed the whole 8th gen, or was only playing Nintendo at the time. You can get an Xbox Series S and a few months of Game Pass Ultimate for $300 or less and experience an endless amount of Gen 8 content, much of it with improved performance, plus new games into the indeterminate future.

This generation as a generation is a bit damp, sure, but when you consider that it stands on the shoulders of the 8th generation, it stands pretty darn tall!

For the realm of Nintendo Switch; ARMS. Yeah, I said it. It's a clean, beautiful game. It pushes the console in effective ways and, to my eye, gives me an Xbox One esque level of visual fidelity in a handheld, and that was insane. ARMS is one of my favourite games of the Switch generation.

There’s nothing really on either PS5 or XBOX Series that looks “next generation”, at least in my opinion. This has been a very dull generation, and there’s really nothing out now that couldn’t maybe run on a PS4 Pro or XBOX ONE X.

I suspect that will change with GTA VI in Fall 2025 — we will wait and see… But by then the current generation is pretty much over as we can expect PS6 and next generation XBOX teases/reveals by 2026/2027...

I'm much more used to the Japanese abbreviation NG and thought this thread was about a very different thing.
Same I was confused as heck.

To answer the OP, from this couple of latest "gens" I say nothing.

If I look back, though, I'll have to shutout Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii and further back the main Crash Bandicoot games for the PS1.

Mario 64 could be debatable and BOTW is too recent and predictable but both were mind blowing when they came out.

I hope something comes around, maybe GTAVI will be the defining wow moment.

It took a good long while for the previous generation to hit that spot for me as well, I didn’t feel properly tumbled over until Final Fantasy XV.

Gen 9 is essentially Gen 8 with added ray tracing and more realistic textures .....I can't perceive a huge breakthrough in graphics technology in 9th gen compared to 7th and 8th (well, if you inquire about this in 2016, you'll likewise be told that 8th gen's graphical advances have diminished so much that we're infinitely close to the upper limit of fidelity acceptable to the human eye.)

With us being in its later half of the PS5 and Xbox.

I’m curious, what are some games, that make you feel that it utilises its hardware, has some fantastic graphics or define this generation.

My pick are personally.
Alan Wake 2
FF16
RE4 remake

Like despite this generation being quite bleh with game output and still being stuck in cross generation games, out of everything I feel like Alan Wake 2 is probably my favourite looking and feeling game and it utilises the SSD beautifully, same goes for it lighting, it’s a shame that the game wasn’t a bigger success.

The PS4 Pro version of RE4 doesn’t look that much worse though. I therefore don't see how it can give that ‘this is next gen’ feeling.

In my time it’s games like Mario 64, MGS2, Rogue Squadron 2, Gears of War and the like. A huge leap over what the previous gen was capable of.

I agree with the PS4 Pro Pro comments to be honest. I love Rebirth and think it looks great but so did Remake. The biggest thing for me there is 60fps which IS great!! I assume we'll have to wait until Dragon Quest XII to really see it... or GTA I guess

Historically it's been Final Fantasy tho

2017 bringing epic size 3D worlds to portables with BOTW, Skyrim, and Xenoblade 2 is maybe the last time I felt something like this.

None. We're halfway through the generation so the honeymoon period is long gone, and nothing so far has pushed the hardware to its limits. This gen feels like an extension of the last

Microsoft Flight Simulator for me perhaps.

It's basically the reason I even got an Xbox series S.

Last edited:
of this generation? Nothing.

Mario Galaxy was the first game on the Wii where I was straight up wow'd by the visuals.
Wind Waker also takes me to a "damn this is next gen" as well. The physics, the art style, the size of it, it all just accumulates into something Next Gen for me at the time.

Microsoft Flight Simulator for me.

Loading all that real-world data onto console, flying over all these places I actually knew, the load times being so low... there was no way the PS4 or XB1 could have handled it.

None. We're halfway through the generation so the honeymoon period is long gone, and nothing so far has pushed the hardware to its limits. This gen feels like an extension of the last
This generation is the first time where I genuinely felt like there was no reason for new consoles to exist. The Xbox Series and PS5 feel barely any different from their predecessors, and a lot of recent games can be played on that previous hardware anyway. Neither console has a decent library of exclusives yet and we're already four years deep. The only new console that I feel will actually be necessary is the successor to the Switch, because the Switch obviously can be improved upon. But for the other big two, this more than ever feels like they were made simply for money and to please investors rather than for any genuine benefit to consumers.

For this generation pretty much nothing. For previous generations:

N64: San Francisco Rush - It was the first game I saw on N64. I only knew Mario Kart and F-Zero on SNES as far as racing games go. And now you would go flying off the track, crashing into walls, exploding! It was insane to me what was on display here.

GameCube: Rogue Leader. Just wow at the time.
Yeah Rogue Leader and Rogue Squadron 2 looked ace. I remember thinking that Gears looked great at the launch of the 360 too.

Nothing much this gen has impressed me comparatively the way some games could look like magic on older systems. Diminishing returns etc.

power saturation and diminishing returns are going to make shit like this increasingly boring, I think

like optimization techniques can get better, shit can get more consistent, but... we're way past the point of need and pretty far past the point of common want

most of what power does is make it so people don't need to optimize. I don't think that's really a great thing, tbh.

but remind me I said this when I finish my game and need to port it. I'm sure I'll kick my own ass!

Yeah Rogue Leader and Rogue Squadron 2 looked ace. I remember thinking that Gears looked great at the launch of the 360 too.

Nothing much this gen has impressed me comparatively the way some games could look like magic on older systems. Diminishing returns etc.
Rogue Squadron 2 at Gamecube launch looked incredible to me - that opening death star level blew me away at the time. Definite 'next gen' moment.

After that, I'm honestly not sure that I've experienced anything quite to that degree. Probably the closest would be Elder Scrolls: Oblivion on PC? It looked very good at the time. And tons of games have looked great and had big improvements, but nothing quite like that gamecube launch.

Actually the biggest one by far for me personally is Super Mario 64, and that will never be topped. Growing up I played games on NES and SNES and PC adventure games like King's Quest 5/6, which looked good! But nothing will ever beat the time that I went over to a friend's house in elementary school in 1996 and saw literally my first 3D game when he showed me Mario 64. It was magic. And going from only 2D games to having my actual first experience seeing a 3D game isn't something that can ever happen again.

Game load fast, graphix purdy, lots of detailed models and ai routines running around everywhere. Maybe some very light ray tracing on console.

Why the didn't the PS4pro/xboxone have some form of SSD again?

Ratchet and Spiderman 2, are pretty much just welcome to even low/mid tier SATA SSD loading, console brothers. Which to be fair, is true of most current gen games and it is a big win at any rate. Just a low hanging one. Reflections are nice, large worlds load fast, does the job.

Demon souls remake (probably could be a last gen game without an enormous visual overhaul if you can deal with loading times), maybe dead space remake, oh returnal that one's got some stuff going on.

Alan wake wake 2 is an obvious pick

I haven't played stellar blade, but I imagine a downport would be a pain with modern effects and such.

FF7R2 is also sort of weird, it doesn't entirely look at the peak of current gen but I cannot imagine a downport would look/run or load very nicely even with a very high effort port to low end PC/PS4. FF16 and Forspoken are similar but do feel like they target higher end techniques more regularly. You know, with way less content overall.

Did hifi rush run well on lower end PCs? Shame it wont get a downport. I don't know exactly how viable a PS4 version would have been.

Yeah its a slow gen, a lot of people just don't need next gen experiences. Why bother when your PS4 still plays Ghosts of Tsushima and TLOUS 2 and it still looks great? This is a good thing for consumers mind you, its great people don't have to shell out for a new box. Its not as if next gen versions of games don't run better. It does hampen excitement a little I guess. I find myself caring less about generations over time.

Oh I have LOVED 40/60fps/vrr modes on console though.

Load times is a good point, and the only thing that has made this gen feel at least a little next gen to me. Playing Demon's Souls on PS5 launch day and having those near-instant loads between zones was definitely something special

Hellblade II is the only game on the current gen home consoles so far that has made me say "wow, this is clearly beyond PS4 Pro/Xbox One X"

hellblade-ii-senuas-saga-pc-specs-requirements.jpg

Historically, seeing Rogue Squadron II on Gamecube back in 2001 was mind blowing, to my 12-year-old N64-owning eyes it looked like the movie come to life.

Last edited:
Alan Wake 2 when you walk into the diner and you can walk right up to any object in the entire area and it has so much detail and precision to it's unbelievable.

When I start most current gen only games and from the start menu I'm in game within 5 seconds. Races load in Gran Turismo 7 in a couple seconds, I can jump across the map in open world games almost seamlessly.

When one character in Tekken 8 has more detail to them than the entirety of Tekken 7's everything combined.

We are not even slightly close to diminishing returns yet. This idea of "PS4 Pro Pro" is laughably ignorant.

Nah, nothing about FF16 made me feel like it's one generation above FF15 and FF7R. Looks good but not enough to be next gen. Especially when compared to what we had for previous gens.

For PS2, almost all of launch games felt like it's another world. I remember buying PS2 with SSX game that it launched with and being completely blown away. Every single PS2 game I bought afterwards amazed me even further. I took me 2 to 3 months to completely forget about PS1 and N64. AND Dreamcast.

For Xbox 360, it had a slower start compared to PS2. Some of the launch year games were not that far away from recent PS2 games such as Burnout 3 or Black. things start to feel real in 2007 when true next gen games such as Uncharted, Bioshock, Halo 3 or Assassin's Creed started to roll out. I got the "true next gen feeling" when I first saw a thick crowd in Assassin's Creed. We didn't have "crowds" in PS2 games lol

For PS4, it even came later than Xbox 360. Cross gen period was shorter than PS2-PS3 (PS2 started to get Wii versions of the games) but the devs did not tried anything new to make it feel new. First game to give that feeling was 2016's Uncharted 4, as Naughty Dog has always been the studio to push hardware to limits. And only Sony continued to do that, with further graphical masterpieces like God of War, Horizon and Ghost of Tsushima.

Last edited:
Honestly the most impressive thing about this generation has been the huge step up in loading times.

I beat FF7 Rebirth 100% while waiting for my Animal Crossing island to load.

Honestly the most impressive thing about this generation has been the huge step up in loading times.

I beat FF7 Rebirth 100% while waiting for my Animal Crossing island to load.
This, and the fan issue being fixed. I remember playing RE3R on my 2013 PS4 and it was so loud I couldn't even hear the game.

Honestly 99% of games this gen feel like they'd be the same on PS4/Xbone. Rebirth is maybe the first PS5 game that has impressed me beyond just visuals.

I'm much more used to the Japanese abbreviation NG and thought this thread was about a very different thing.
fwiw I use NG and KG at my work in the US a lot

as for the actual thread topic, I've got nothing. too ninpilled.

Going from the N64 to the PS2 with FFX, I still remember being in awe at the close of up of yuna's face in the intro segment of FFX with the party around the campfire

Demon's Souls is the first game to give me that feeling on the current generation. Look amazing, smooth 60fps framerate, and quick loading. It's all I wanted moving on from last gen. Sadly recent games is sacrificing at least one of the 3.

The “oh snap this is next gen” effect is definitely more diminished these days compared to seeing stuff like Mario 64, Star Wars Rogue Squadron II, and Call of Duty 2 for the first time back in their respective days. I think it’s most clear in the PS5/XSX context when something extra spectacular just runs perfectly and has minimal loading which is less dramatically flashy as it isn’t a “jump” like back in the day, but personally I super appreciate it. I think my favorites thus far have been Final Fantasy XVI, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Alan Wake II, Dragon’s Dogma II, and Stellar Blade.

Incidentally, I did have plenty of “oh snap this is next gen” moments a bunch in recent weeks as I was juggling three games that I played in the same order for a bit each day. I’d play my current phone game, Love Live School Idol Festival 2, which is a sharp looking, but fairly simple 2D anime music game. Next I’d play Endless Ocean and think “wow look at those fish, they look awesome!” Then I’d boot up Stellar Blade and be taken aback with “OMG, the FUTURE” especially depending on where I loaded in lol.

Alan Wake 2 when you walk into the diner and you can walk right up to any object in the entire area and it has so much detail and precision to it's unbelievable.

When I start most current gen only games and from the start menu I'm in game within 5 seconds. Races load in Gran Turismo 7 in a couple seconds, I can jump across the map in open world games almost seamlessly.

When one character in Tekken 8 has more detail to them than the entirety of Tekken 7's everything combined.

We are not even slightly close to diminishing returns yet. This idea of "PS4 Pro Pro" is laughably ignorant.
To be fair, the thread title is
“What games make you feel ‘This is Ng’

‘Feel’ is subjective rather than ‘laughably ignorant’. I think a lot of people (including me) are interpreting this as ‘immediate visual impact’, in which case, yeah, that I can examine tiny objects and they are fully rendered, that characters have more detail and the load times are much faster on PS5 or whatever, is clearly a more powerful device. But it’s not the same as some launch games on 16-bit or 64-bit (or even the Gamecube, which is why Rogue Squadron on N64 vs RS2 on GC comes up a lot) where just seeing the attract screens made similar games on older consoles feel immediately archaic. That’s what I mean by ‘diminishing returns’, in that the upgrade isn’t as immediately obvious, and as such feels less compelling to me. Better load times and more detail on characters and objects in similar games don’t make me think ‘I need this upgrade’ in the same way when the previous gen still feels like ‘good enough for 3D games’ to me.

Last edited:
I think the last game I actually played that blew me away on graphics alone was God of War III. Going from PS2 - and GoW I & II were some damn fine looking PS2 games - to it was just amazing. I especially remember the water effects during the opening sequence where you fight Poseidon and going "DAAAAMN".

On the subject of games I was just visually impressed with... Horizon Zero Dawn just looked very impressive to me, especially since it was a more colourful offering that what I usually associate with "AAA" gaming. Maybe I'll even end up playing it one day, but from what I've seen of its gameplay and presentation past the graphics, I doesn't feel like my cup of tea.

Game load fast, graphix purdy, lots of detailed models and ai routines running around everywhere. Maybe some very light ray tracing on console.

Why the didn't the PS4pro/xboxone have some form of SSD again?

Ratchet and Spiderman 2, are pretty much just welcome to even low/mid tier SATA SSD loading, console brothers. Which to be fair, is true of most current gen games and it is a big win at any rate. Just a low hanging one. Reflections are nice, large worlds load fast, does the job.

Demon souls remake (probably could be a last gen game without an enormous visual overhaul if you can deal with loading times), maybe dead space remake, oh returnal that one's got some stuff going on.

Alan wake wake 2 is an obvious pick

I haven't played stellar blade, but I imagine a downport would be a pain with modern effects and such.

FF7R2 is also sort of weird, it doesn't entirely look at the peak of current gen but I cannot imagine a downport would look/run or load very nicely even with a very high effort port to low end PC/PS4. FF16 and Forspoken are similar but do feel like they target higher end techniques more regularly. You know, with way less content overall.

Did hifi rush run well on lower end PCs? Shame it wont get a downport. I don't know exactly how viable a PS4 version would have been.

Yeah its a slow gen, a lot of people just don't need next gen experiences. Why bother when your PS4 still plays Ghosts of Tsushima and TLOUS 2 and it still looks great? This is a good thing for consumers mind you, its great people don't have to shell out for a new box. Its not as if next gen versions of games don't run better. It does hampen excitement a little I guess. I find myself caring less about generations over time.

Oh I have LOVED 40/60fps/vrr modes on console though.
I find it interesting that you even consider making it relevant whether or not a current game could be downported. I think this sentiment already shows how small the steps from generation to generation actually are. It would have been absolutely unfeasible to downport something from N64 to SNES, or from GameCube to N64. These were huge jumps in graphics.

Ratchet and Clank is a good pick yes, same goes for Spider-Man 2. Both are hobbled a bit because of the previous games punching way above their weight, so the overall improvement feels a bit more muted, even if they do look spectacular. In general I think we still have to wait until UnrealEngine 5 gets major games. FFVIIRebirth looks pretty great, but the lighting definitely still has that UE4 (lack of) quality, and texture streaming and LoD problems should also be a thing of the past when franchises move over. And that's before you add megapixel textures. Just from personal experience, UE4 games out of the box used to look a bit better than Unity games, but UE5 pulls way ahead.

Back
Top Bottom