• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion What games did you bounce off as a kid but now enjoy as an adult?

DumbDonkey

Cappy
Pronouns
He/Him/They
We all have games we played as kids that we either couldn’t figure out or out right did not like. But are there any you returned to now that you’re older and find you now can enjoy?

For me it’s Eternal Darkness. I got the game when I was 12 and thought it was a huge disappointment. I only got up to Maximillian’s chapter and dropped the game because I thought the combat was boring and things like the Trappers were unavoidable (I was a dumb kid that just mashed the start button anytime a cutscene or tutorial popped up on screen).

Returning to my GameCube now I decided to try it again and I’m shocked at just how much I missed when I was younger. Not only in the story, but information I completely glossed over like the ability to sneak past Trappers and the magic system being used for anything besides health and sanity restoration. It’s easily now become one of my favorite GameCube games and I’m slapping myself for being a dumb kid.

I had way too much time as a kid to Bounce off games.

As a adult. If it game fails in the first few hours then I’m done with it. Ain’t got time no more to be patient.

Zelda ALttP. I was a dumb kid and couldn't get much done in the game. I really got into the franchise a bit later with OoT, and went back to ALttP as an adult, and I obviously love it.

I think "most games" would be the right answer. Until I was.. 16, 17, I've barely beaten any game I've ever owned. Probably a lot of that was down to a lack of time to play (my parents SEVERELY limited my play time down to two and a half hours (if I was lucky) a week), so until I got myself a monitor with RCA jacks I couldn't play whenever I wanted to.

As a more concrete answer... I think RPGs in general were a genre I couldn't fully grasp as a kid.

33633--marios-picross.png

This. My mother was hooked up to it but I found it super boring back then. Now I'm a registered Picross-maniac.

I didn't get very far into Shadowman when I was younger. I had plenty of time, but I was not a smart child and I couldn't figure out what to do. A couple years ago I got my 64 hooked up and decided to try again, and I ended up getting 100% in it when I beat it. I have far less time nowadays, but I'm no longer a dumb child. I'm a dumb adult. Also, Shadowman is awesome and I'm still waiting for the Switch version. Any day now.......

Also Super Castlevania 4. I rented it a few times, didn't get into it. Now it's probably my favorite SNES game. With Contra 3.

Metroid. Not even just as a kid, tried many times to play various titles, but could never enjoy it until recently.

Back
Top Bottom