• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions What game do you think Nintendo is sitting on just waiting the right time to release?

lemonfresh

#Team2024
Pronouns
He/Him
The beginning of the year Nintendo released prime remastered and it was confirmed that they were sitting on the game as it was completed for a while and they were just waiting of the right time to release. Do you think there are other games Nintendo has completed that they are just not sitting on waiting for to release. To me I think the prime2/3 remaster might be done or a zelda ww/tp remaster. It could be possible they are sitting on a new 3d Mario just waiting for the switch 2 launch. What do you guys think?

tbh, I think they're sitting on a lot. Prime 2/3, WW/TP, and the FE4 remake are the biggies. But after Pikmin 1+2 got shadowdropped and showed they're willing to use Hagi for more than just 3D All-Stars (plus the existence of a "Porting Technology Development Team"), I'm thinking there could be a good number of games at least from the Gamecube/Wii era that they've got more or less "ready to go" whenever they feel like pulling the trigger: DKC Returns, F-Zero GX, Luigi's Mansion 1, Punch-Out Wii, etc.

I also 100% buy the rumors that they were considering finally putting out a a localized Mother 3 back in the WiiU days, so I think they've got that somewhere in the vault.

In terms of new releases, I think there's probably at least a game or two (for example, the next 3D Mario or a new Donkey Kong) that are essentially done and in the "polishing phase" while they wait for the Switch 2 to launch.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about Mother 3 this morning, one day it’s going to eventually release with whatever changes are made or not and we’ll all just wonder forever why it took so long once we have it.
Have you seen this analysis from MoonChannel (a Lawyer-on-Youtube)?

That outlines various challenges that make the port seemingly unlikely.
Buuuut it would be really great if Nintendo was like "hold my beer" on this.

===

As for OP:
Prime 2/3, WW/TP, and the FE4 remake are the biggies.
If you trust our resident insiders like I do, those are locked and loaded ☝️

Personally, even as a Fire Emblem fan, I think they should hold off on FE4 until at least next summer if not later.
I.e. do increase investment and title support, but don't oversaturate when you got a good thing going.

Prime 2/3 will be great "appetizers" as a lead-up to Prime 4, even if they don't get the full "HD Remaster" glow-up Prime 1 did 😋

Windwaker/TwilightPrincess HD - They had a plan to release Tears of the Kingdom at a certian time, and then this at a later date. Tears got delayed which threw of the plans, so they decided to hold off and let WW/TP come out later and let Tears have 2023 to itself

Mario Kart 9 - Switch Pro was going to be a thing before COVID canceled it, and this is what they would have launched with. Suddenly the revision was canceld, so rather than release this, they decided to punt it to the launch/launch window of the next system, and release DLC for 8 Deluxe instead as a stop gap, explaining why it got DLC 5 years seemingly out of nowhere

F Zero GX - First they had to release F Zero 99 to see if there were 99 F-Zero fans!

===

As for OP:

Personally, even as a Fire Emblem fan, I think they should hold off on FE4 until at least next summer if not later.
I.e. do increase investment and title support, but don't oversaturate when you got a good thing going.

Prime 2/3 will be great "appetizers" as a lead-up to Prime 4, even if they don't get the full "HD Remaster" glow-up Prime 1 did 😋

I haven’t seen that video before, though I’m intrigued with the little bit I just checked out. I do tend to lean on the most recent Reggie quote cited in the video as an honest answer to the question. It was primarily just the business situation at the time. Though that said, having not dived into that video laying it out in detail, I think if they have fresh concerns there will be ways to address them.

Metroid Prime 2 and 3
Wind Waker and Twilight Princess
Probably Kid Icarus HD, I actually remember Sakurai hinting at something?

So many Gamecube ports & remasters
Expounding on this (inc. Wii stuff), my specific guesses:

Remasters (new assets, design tweaks, etc). Premium pricing ($40-60) and standalone releases. Examples: Prime Remastered, Skyward Sword HD.
  • F-Zero GX
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Ports (basic/direct versions) Budget pricing ($20-30) or collection bundling ($50-60), mostly for cross-promo. Examples: Pikmin 1+2, Mario 3D All-Stars.
  • Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (Wii ver)
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Wii ver)
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii (New All-Stars)

*yes I know these are all semi-emulation based. NERD are amazing, secret best Nintendo acquisition ever.

And my fever dream guess; Nightdive Studios swings that impossible Nintendeal! Probably Switch 1 & 2 releases, totally ground up remasters.
  • Disaster: Day of Crisis
  • Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
  • Geist

Ports/ remasters:
  • F-zero GX (for if 99 does well)
  • Zelda windwaker and Zelda twilight princess
  • Metroid prime 2 and Metroid prime 3
  • DS NSO
  • (copium) DKC returns

Remakes
  • Something Mario and Luigi
  • Oracle of ages/ seasons (if no entirely new 2D Zelda is in development)

New shit
  • Rhythm heaven (please god)
  • New Mario kart (if not finished very close to completion, and not in the Pikmin 4 way)
  • Metroid prime 4 (I predict it’s getting saved for Nintendo’s next system as a technical marvel)

I haven’t seen that video before, though I’m intrigued with the little bit I just checked out. I do tend to lean on the most recent Reggie quote cited in the video as an honest answer to the question. It was primarily just the business situation at the time. Though that said, having not dived into that video laying it out in detail, I think if they have fresh concerns there will be ways to address them.
What the video details is essentially both a legal & business concern considering some of the costs a couple of routes they can take. Overall redoing the entire soundtrack would probably be the least hassle out of anything else they could do.

I know the premise of this thread is what game do you think they are sitting on, but to be honest I could see Nintendo not "sitting" on Wind Waker / Twilight Princess remasters. Those are the kind of quick port work that could probably be done in 6 months or so, give or take, and we don't have much actual information on the remasters afaik (though insiders do think they're happening).

I could see the same being true for F-Zero GX Remaster, though that one would take more work. But considering F-Zero 99 might very well be a gauge for a standalone F-Zero release, I'm not completely sure Nintendo is just sitting on it.

I genuinely think this has been WWHD and TPHD for years now.

There’s not a doubt in my mind that the switch versions are complete

• Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Fire Emblem : Genealogy of the Holy War

I hope that Metroid Prime 2 and Metroid Prime 3 will be a true remastered like 1. I don't believe in F-Zero GX anymore.

Probably plenty of games I guess?

Could see Nintendo adding DLSS upscaling to certain games for the Switch NG in the meantime.

Sometimes I feel that Nintendo has a Dr. Mario game in reserve, but that series is so small-scale that they didn't require much effort to build a game, so if they wanted one, it would not be long before it's release (instead of waiting at the right time to get it out there).

Also, I don't know if it's an oversight or preferring not to acknowledge it, but Everybody 1-2-Switch is another example of a game that Nintendo have put in reserve, though for reasons that we believe are rooted in internal negative perception.

Thank you for reading.

Fire Emblem 4 Remake / Fire Emblem Echoes 2 (Possibly the same game.)

The internal names for Three Houses and Engage are Iron17 and Iron19 respectively, meaning Iron18 got lost somewhere. There was almost certainly a 3DS game bearing the Echoes label in development, that probably got canned with the popularity of Nintendo Switch contributing to the destruction of 3DS game sales.

Furthermore, FE follows a nearly Pokémon-like pattern of remakes, having remade FE1-FE3 so far (all playable on 3DS, none brought to Switch quite yet.).

Logically the next Echoes would be FE4, and this is backed up somewhat by Engage's extremely weird development, where it was finished literally years in advance, and has an odd focus on Sigurd despite him never having a localised game.

My main hope is that when it does come out, they don't exclude the midquel Thracia 776 quest. Oh also that it's cross gen, because I want to see what a game that started development on 3DS does when it's thrust onto a next gen system.

They've obviously been sitting on a Switch version of Barrel Blast for years now, with a warehouse full of newly manufactured DK bongos waiting to be shipped out.

The patents don't lie!

549450.png

Echoing what others have said, Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD ports are the big ones (in terms of them being ready and just waiting to release). I think they'll be working on games like the next 3D Mario and Mario Kart for as long as they can, so I wouldn't imagine they are ready now. Maybe a Luigi's Mansion HD that will be released alongside 2 HD next year, although I would think they would've just revealed them together if that were the case. DKC Returns would be awesome, as I haven't played it. It's likely that they are working on a lot of GCN/Wii HD ports with Hagi, and it wouldn't take quite as much work as full on remasters/remakes, so I'll throw out Galaxy 2, Chibi-Robo! and Successor of the Skies (PLEASE).

i would say mario kart 9 has been done for awhile.

but I also think after the sales odf 8 they probably started adding more content to it, since it probably has been done for a couple years now, considering arms wasn't a full effort game, tour had outside help, 8 deluxe only adds 8 battle course and a couple of new characters, and bcp is a glorified port job (still a really good one) but none of those are full team efforts, the last big project they had was 8 back in like 2011-2014.

they probably had it finshed but once htye planned the bcp i would nto be surpsied if thye opened it up agai to add more contet so it at elast stays cmmpetitive with 8 in terms of that, whether its trough dlc or there day 1.

===

As for OP:

that too much trouble Nintendo is wiling to go just for a single game

Gamecube ports, Zelda Wii U HD remaster ports, FE4 and Kid Icarus.

There's probably like 3-4 completely finished games ready for the new console too ngl with a bunch in development.

Back
Top Bottom