• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What elements make The Legend of Zelda's dungeon design stand out

Aufhebung RPG

History is tragedy becoming comedy
The early representative of the maze adventure is Wizardry, and after that there are countless imitators appeared, why the Legend of Zelda series of dungeon labyrinth design of the representative higher than other JRPGs, in the process design of the characteristics of what makes it stand out from the many labyrinth adventure game.

I'm sure there are earlier examples of the Zelda design if one looks hard. But I do think one can claim that the Zelda series popularised the dungeon genre that has the following characteristics:

• Combination of puzzle solving and combat challanges
  • Boss at the end that has to be beat to progress the game
  • Unique item to be found that expands the players abilities
  • Also specific puzzles and combat challenges based on the item found in the dungeon
  • Environmental puzzles in a continuous over world to reach the dungeon
  • Focus on navigation and understanding the spatial layout

Yeah, basically.

It leaned hard on Tower of Druaga's lessons of puzzle solving and item use, but made it less intentionally obtuse.
I think Tower of Druaga gave Zelda a more negative experience in the sense that in 1984 people would have just felt that Tower of Druaga's flow was intentionally torturing the player, and it wasn't until The Legend of Zelda came along that great flow design was really distilled.

One RPG game that reminded me a lot of Zelda's dungeons was actually Persona 5. Getting trapped in these big locations where you're climbing floors, solving puzzles, and navigating your way to the boss room definitely evoked a similar feeling, even if it's not 1:1. I think how one feels about Zelda dungeons probably mirrors how they feel about the Persona 5 dungeons.

One RPG game that reminded me a lot of Zelda's dungeons was actually Persona 5. Getting trapped in these big locations where you're climbing floors, solving puzzles, and navigating your way to the boss room definitely evoked a similar feeling, even if it's not 1:1. I think how one feels about Zelda dungeons probably mirrors how they feel about the Persona 5 dungeons.
Interesting, but the Persona series' maze designs are much closer to Wizardry-like maze designs as Dark Souls is, and they similarly lack a sense of growth around finding props and abilities to gain a sense of growth, as well as puzzles and battles designed around props and abilities, and don't require much of an understanding of the overall construction of the maze itself.

I think Tower of Druaga gave Zelda a more negative experience in the sense that in 1984 people would have just felt that Tower of Druaga's flow was intentionally torturing the player, and it wasn't until The Legend of Zelda came along that great flow design was really distilled.

"Would have felt"? We know how they felt. Players didn't react that way at all when Tower of Druaga released and it became super iconic and beloved as part of Japanese arcade history. Building community knowledge out of hidden mechanics, items, shortcuts, and so on is still a well regarded feature of some of the most popular games today, and Zelda 1 still had those elements. It was just more manageable for an individual by being a home console game with a save system.

"Would have felt"? We know how they felt. Players didn't react that way at all when Tower of Druaga released and it became super iconic and beloved as part of Japanese arcade history. Building community knowledge out of hidden mechanics, items, shortcuts, and so on is still a well regarded feature of some of the most popular games today, and Zelda 1 still had those elements. It was just more manageable for an individual by being a home console game with a save system.
I can only tell you that Tower of Druaga is similar to The Legend of Zelda in my opinion in only two ways
1. Acquiring props and equipment to aid in puzzle solving and combat.
2. Simplify the numerical elements and strengthen the action elements.
Other than that, in my opinion, the arcade-era design of Druaga's Tower, with its forced collection of hidden elements, easily shatters the entire seemingly well-constructed flow design.

It's hard to really boil it down to fundementals, but here's my key ideas:

1. A distinct theme. This both ties to the element the dungeon plays with like Ice, Wood, Fire, Shadow, Sand etc, but also the overall concept of the dungeon. The Ancient Cistern using motifs from The Spider's Thread, the Arbiter's Grounds being a prison for the worst of Hyrule, the Stone Tower Temple having elements of the Tower of Babel, stuff like that. A strong theme can tie the puzzles, atmosphere and enemy designs together into something incredibly compelling.

2. Puzzles. This is a very basic one, but the puzzles should combine actual thinking with "cool" factor. Snowhead temple's pillars, the use of equipment in the Spirit Temple, defending the Sol orbs from the Zant Hands. It needs to have an actual pressure to the puzzle solving, but it also needs to avoid being repetitive and annoying. Progress needs to be "made" in the dunegon whenever you do something.

3. New items. A dungeon is the main place where you use items to navigate distinct puzzles, even if it's for one area there needs to be a distinction sense of discovery and use for the item. Items like the Spinner in Twilight Princess elevates a dungeon from "pretty good" to "amazing" very quickly, though the same can be said for most dungeon items in that game, like the double clawshot, Dominion Rod, Ball and Chain, Gale Boomerang etc.

4. Bosses. While enemy design is also fairly important, bosses define dungeons. They're the most memorable aspects of the dungeon experience and linger in the mind of the player. Mini-bosses also apply here, enemies like Death Sword, Dark Link, Dead Hand, even the Dark Nut encounter in Twilight Princess' Temple of Time. However, the bosses of the dungeon are the real deal. Koloktos, Stallord, Molgera, Goht, Twinrova, Gyorg Pair. They need to be imposing on scale or threat, but also gratifying to beat. There's some additional benefits from the personality of a boss, namely in the case of Ghirahim and Twinrova, but they just need to be an excellent fight through and through.

There's a lot of other elements that go into the design like the layout, dungeon gimmicks, enemy design and stakes of a dungeon, but these 4 are the elements that players mainly tie into the dungeon. Failing them usually results in a more underwhelming experience for the player, so getting them right is a priority imo.

So, slightly controversial, but I don't think most Zelda dungeons are so very memorable. Ask someone what they like best about the Zelda games, they'll say they like the characters, the story, the bosses or the puzzles, but "the dungeons" don't usually come up.

What IS memorable is the dungeon approach. Navigating the overgrown Lost Woods in Ocarina, climbing to Eagle's Tower in LA, stealing Lulu's eggs back from the pirates in Majora's Mask, accidentally breaking L2 in Oracle of Ages, that's all memorable. Ironically the game with the most memorable dungeons in the franchise is Wind Waker. You bring up Forsaken Fortress, Dragon Roost Cavern and the Wind Temple and you remember a lot more about them as places than you do the Fire Temple or the Great Bay Temple.

With that said, Zelda dungeons work great, and the reason is how they mix their theme and concept. The Forest Temple and Shadow Temple are both horror-themed, but the Forest Temple has you exploring to solve a mystery, while the Shadow Temple is almost like a slasher flick you're trying to survive. Zelda dungeons are bigger than the dungeons themselves too, reaching the dungeon is a challenge of its own, usually on-theme with what the dungeon proper will be about. The Forest Temple approach turned the creepy-yet-familiar Lost Woods into a place of danger while the Shadow Temple approach has you run a mini-dungeon full of traps and undead, as practice for the real Shadow Temple. Once you're in you have a series of challenges based on using what you have learned so far, then you get the dungeon item, and from then on you use the dungeon item to solve old and new challenges until you reach a boss with a weakness to your new toy. To use the Forest Temple one last time, you have the hookshot which you use to reach the temple, and then to navigate the temple, then you get the bow which you use to hit switches and and solve environmental puzzles ("shoot arrow through torches to burn things"). Lastly, a boss which is weak to arrows, that you also can't just lock on to.

It's such a straightforward progression that it hides how hard it is to do well.

Because of the series design in puzzle design the player is always enticed to scan the area for clues and other points of interests so you really take in the environment.

This, accompanied by awesome music, object placement, room design, palette use and choosing a very clear theme for each dungeon makes the experience truly unique.

I actually think there's a divide between 2D and 3D Zelda in terms of what makes the dungeons appealing.

In 2D Zelda, the Dungeons are pretty clearly a vehicle through which to deliver puzzles for the player to solve. I don't mean that in a dismissive way, just that if you look at puzzle games and how they structure individual minigames and puzzles (ie, Brain Training and similar), the dungeons in 2D Zelda offer similar bite size puzzles that reward problem solving skills, but with Fantasy trappings laid over the top to give things a bit more context and framing. While memorizing the layout of the dungeon is important, usually the main focus is on entering a new room and solving the puzzle within that room, with or without the dungeon item. For people who like solving bitesized logic problems and puzzles, this is the main hook.

On the other hand, in 3D Zelda the appeal is much more in the uncovering and navigating of the dungeon spaces themselves - basically the video game version of Indiana Jones entering an undiscovered tomb. Yes, the puzzles are still important, but I'd argue that 3D Zelda tends to put less focus on making each space of the dungeon a bitesized puzzle to be solved, and more focus on having a large interconnected environment for the player to explore, with puzzles placed at key points to guide progression and act as an incentive to keep going. In particular, 3D Zelda games often tend to have dungeons with one "Big" uber-puzzle that the dungeon is built around, with exploration of the dungeon and smaller mini-puzzles then being built around that uber-puzzle.

So while it's true to say that both types of Zelda game have you going into dungeons and solving puzzles, my argument is that both branches of Zelda do this in fundamentally different but equally appealing ways: 2D Zelda is where you go to get your condensed bite sized puzzles in a concentrated hit to reward your brain, while 3D Zelda is where you go to feel like you're an explorer plumbing forgotten depths, with puzzles and traps acting as breadcrumbs to keep you going.

The reason I think Zelda is so associated with dungeons more than possibly any other franchise is simply that the EPD team really do put more thought into their dungeon design than just about any other developers out there: For too many other action or roleplaying games, dungeons are just linear caves with enemies to kill and a treasure to get at the end. Zelda is the textbook series where you can point out individual dungeons from within the same game, and identify all the puzzles, gimmicks and design ideas that make them different from each other.

The reason I think Zelda is so associated with dungeons more than possibly any other franchise is simply that the EPD team really do put more thought into their dungeon design than just about any other developers out there: For too many other action or roleplaying games, dungeons are just linear caves with enemies to kill and a treasure to get at the end
Yeah, most action adventure games place the emphasis on the combat, rather than the puzzles and layout. In Zelda you have areas of the map locked away until you find the key item, which you have to use in creative ways to explore the place.

Interesting, but the Persona series' maze designs are much closer to Wizardry-like maze designs as Dark Souls is, and they similarly lack a sense of growth around finding props and abilities to gain a sense of growth, as well as puzzles and battles designed around props and abilities, and don't require much of an understanding of the overall construction of the maze itself.
5’s dungeons may lack items that unlock player progression, but they still have many other hallmarks of a classic Zelda dungeon. This is especially the case in Royal where the addition of the hookshot requires the player to have an understanding of 3D spatial awareness around them. And then there’s this from the new dungeon in Royal:

It’s best to think of Zelda dungeons like a clockwork contraption.

Consider this: Ejii Aonuma got a Master’s degree at the Tokyo University of Arts from making karakuri puppets, a type of Japanese wooden mechanical puppet that borders on animatronic. That man is always thinking of how to make gears and pieces move in sync with each other, and you can tell when that kind of thinking is in play in a Zelda dungeon’s design. When everything moves exactly as it should, like clockwork.

This is a playlist from Game Maker's Toolkit (an excellent channel on breaking down and distilling what makes game mechanics work) where Mark goes through every Zelda game, studies the formula for the dungeons, and makes a video about how that game's dungeons work. Along the way, he does an excellent job of explaining all the elements that go into a Zelda dungeon, and eventually arrives on a few archetypes that people find memorable for different reasons. It's a long playlist (though it continues into non-Zelda game after he catches up at Breath of the Wild), but if you enjoy Zelda dungeons, I truly recommend giving the whole thing a watch when you can find time. That said, he does also have a singular video on the more puzzle-boxy Zelda dungeon design if you don't want to watch the entire playlist.

The biggest complaint with the video series is from folks who noticed that what Mark likes in a dungeon isn't necessarily what everyone likes, and it's fun to watch him become aware of his own bias towards navigational puzzles as king and try to break things down more objectively. But that bias is always there.

So, slightly controversial, but I don't think most Zelda dungeons are so very memorable. Ask someone what they like best about the Zelda games, they'll say they like the characters, the story, the bosses or the puzzles, but "the dungeons" don't usually come up.

What IS memorable is the dungeon approach. Navigating the overgrown Lost Woods in Ocarina, climbing to Eagle's Tower in LA, stealing Lulu's eggs back from the pirates in Majora's Mask, accidentally breaking L2 in Oracle of Ages, that's all memorable. Ironically the game with the most memorable dungeons in the franchise is Wind Waker. You bring up Forsaken Fortress, Dragon Roost Cavern and the Wind Temple and you remember a lot more about them as places than you do the Fire Temple or the Great Bay Temple.
I don't agree with this at all, frankly. Dungeons are one of the first things I'd mention about classic Zelda that I love, and Great Bay Temple is near the top for me. The Wind Temple is one of the places I remember least from The Wind Waker lol. (I also found the Fire Temple incredibly atmospheric and memorable? IDK)

For me navigation. That feeling of being totally lost when we get inside and slowly starting making sense of it is the best part. This and dungeons with a central mechanism like water temple, lakebed temple. After that atmosphere would be my priority. That explain Hyrule Castle being my favorite dungeon in the recent years and also really liking Elden Ring dungeons. A place where after finishing you are so mentally drained that hanging out in the overworld and have a good time is the only thing you'd want. Also wanting to get lost is the reason I dislike receiving a map as soon as I enter a dungeon.

Tbh I couldn't care less about individual rooms puzzles that has nothing to do with the dungeon itself. For example, those ice blocks you need to move in Snowpeak ruins. That's why I really dislike shrines as a concept. They are really out of context for me, just nuisance to get my upgrades. Imo they should revisit Zelda 1 next and reevaluate which kind of puzzles are really integral to the series.

Last edited:
No joke, for me it's some sort of block puzzle, or a light these braziers puzzle. The moment any game with dungeon exploration has one of those concepts my mind flashes back to Zelda. It's just ingrained to be relative at this point.

What makes them effective and memorable, probably not a single one of those puzzles... They really do suck. And I don't feel like the majority of dungeons stand out anymore. Lots of games do dungeons/labyrinths/mazes/etc -- similar or vastly different in approach -- a lot taking ideas from earlier Zelda games. Honestly, I haven't been "wowed" by a dungeon since I think the sky temple in Twilight Princess. Maybe? I feel like the verticality at the time is what really drove that in. If not, then the stone temple for sure. Nothing that came after felt as original or rather not derivative of a dungeon from an earlier game with one new twist. I'm not trying to be harsh either. I love Zelda. But the dungeons haven't been a highlight in decades for me personally. I wouldn't hold them as high next to other games as I would have in the past.

The dungeon terminology is kind of interesting when you think about it. The way we use it has become almost completely divorced from the origin of the word. I assume the "a labyrinthine subterranean setting" use comes from Dungeons and Dragons somehow. That's the only definition for this sense of the word I found, but even that's only a superficial description of the majority of what are called dungeons nowadays. I would say it's honestly an outdated and incorrect definition, because it doesn't contain anything inherent or important to a space getting described as a dungeon. There's a whole elaborate mythology to the concept that this doesn't touch on at all.

So without trying to go too deep into the history of the word and getting off track, what is a dungeon? It's not necessarily underground, but it is some sort of contained space. It's unusual for it to be outdoors, but far from unheard of. "Labyrinthine" is a good word, and I think gets to the heart of the traditional form and purpose of dungeons. The traditional purpose of an RPG dungeon is as an endurance challenge. The sprawling design is not necessarily to provide a challenge in itself, but to wear you down and whittle away at your resources as you attempt to find treasures and advance deeper into the dungeon. A dungeon crawl is about resource management. Resource management is not really a factor in Zelda after the first few games. It's most prominent in A Link to the Past, which actually uses MP in a very RPG-like fashion where you can run out and be unable to defeat the boss at the end of the dungeon. But most Zelda games don't have MP and even in the more difficult ones dwindling resources are not usually a big factor.

Series like Dragon Quest, Pokemon, and SMT sometimes include some light puzzle-solving elements, like a room where you need to turn some statues or raise and lower gates or push some things, or a maze of teleporters that you need to understand the workings of to get where you need to go, and it's my understanding that this is inherited from the concept of tabletop dungeons having Indiana Jones-like riddles in them. It's from things like this that you can sort of begin to see where Zelda dungeons come from, but it's also important to note that these are not the default states of these games. A Dragon Quest dungeon is most commonly a fairly straightforward delve with some branching paths for treasure and dead ends to further wear you down with random encounters. Simple and functional. SMT on the other hand likes its elaborate nightmare dungeons, but the "puzzles" are generally mostly about wearing you down in a more elaborate fashion, which is why a lot of them can only really be solved through trial and error. I think a common flaw with later RPG dungeons is that when they do try to include puzzles, they're mostly uninteresting busywork or annoyances where you have to play Sokoban or a Hamiltonian Path or some other stock puzzle you've seen a million times before. Zelda was able to gradually include more complicated and contemplative puzzle-solving in large part because it dropped that element of wearing you down over time completely.

It's worth noting that the "dungeon item" concept didn't exist until Link's Awakening, which is the point in the series where it completely drops endurance testing. Every dungeon in the early games had at least one item to find, but it didn't necessarily have any use in that dungeon, and was sometimes completely optional. You could say that The Legend of Zelda began as a conversion of the tabletop RPG that tried to do away with number abstractions as much as possible to make an action game instead. The way I like to think of it though is that, you have Adventure games, which descend from Colossal Cave Adventure. They're generally about picking up items and figuring out where to go use them. But then you have Action Adventure games, which is kind of a wastebasket taxon nowadays, but in my mind Zelda is the defining Action Adventure game. There's a lot of talk about Zelda's "lock and key design", and that's how Adventure games work on a basic level. The items could functionally all be reskinned keys. But what makes an Action Adventure game? The items are actions. You simply cannot finish Zelda without getting good at using the sword yourself. Many of its items require some level of mastery and punish inept usage as much as unwise usage. And as the series goes on, the functionality of its items becomes more and more involved, with each one being a whole new toy to play with and introducing a new mechanic to be the focus of that level and referred back to throughout the game thereafter.

What a Zelda dungeon is has changed over time. At first they were really just labyrinths full of monsters, with the only puzzles being like "the room is dark" or "find which block to push to open the door". A Link to the Past dungeons could now have multiple floors and rooms with layers and whatever shape, and perhaps as a result of this are each differentiated primarily by having a distinct structure. The Desert Palace has the huge open first section, and then the narrow linear second section. Skull Woods has a bunch of different entrances, you make circuits around the Ice Palace, Swamp Palace needs you to drain water from rooms to access the lower portions, etc. This is where they first really had unique theming, but it's very light and doesn't really apply to anything besides the tilesets yet. Link's Awakening dungeons solidified Metroidvania level design almost a full year before Super Metroid. Each dungeon has a second "act" where after you obtain the item, you can go back through previous rooms and interact with a bunch of objects or obstacles in a new way. For instance, being able to smash the crystals after getting the Pegasus Boots in Key Cavern.

Ocarina of Time is where theming of dungeons truly became important. Not only did they all take on elemental themes, but they each had unique music reflecting their separate identities. The switch to 3D brought a somewhat slower and less combat-focused pace, as well as a naturally expanded capacity for puzzle design where you could now look around and interact with the whole space of a room. Perhaps the biggest impact it had for the series going forward is introducing puzzle box dungeons like the Water Temple, which have you manipulating the space of the dungeon itself to progress. Link's Awakening sort of had a precursor to this in Eagle's Tower, but it was a one-time puzzle rather than a switch that must be pressed with intentionality to change the dungeon's state. It was another increase in dungeon complexity, and each one was made more individually memorable by giving it a stronger identity and having you spend more time in them.

Wind Waker was another major shift for how a Zelda dungeon would be designed, and it's where they reached what was more or less their final form. The N64 Zelda games put a lot of effort into theming, but this still didn't quite apply to the mechanical contents of the dungeon. A lot of the smaller puzzles especially were at the end of the day still mostly about generic switches and blocks in some fashion, and they were also a bit random. The Forest Temple for example is full of very disconnected sections and ideas like shooting the ghost paintings, the courtyard, the rotating room, the corkscrew hallways, the block maze, and the falling ceiling. Wind Waker began designing its puzzles like a Mario stage. A mechanic is introduced, iterated upon, and twisted as the dungeon goes on. So in Forbidden Woods, you immediately learn that these eyeball plants blocking the doors can be destroyed by throwing these big nuts at them. A bunch of puzzles are made about getting these two together. Then you get the boomerang, which can destroy these without all that complication where none of your other weapons could, giving you that classic feeling of power. In the Earth Temple, beams of light can destroy statues and freeze the undead, and your partner Medli carries a reflective object which can redirect them. Then you get the Mirror Shield, allowing you to not only more easily utilize light beams without having to pose Medli like a doll, but solve more complex light puzzles where Medli reflects the light into a specific spot for Link to stand and redirect it a second time somewhere else.

If there's one aspect of the series that even the best imitators usually fail to replicate, it's the dungeons. Almost never does somebody truly get why these are compelling. And to be fair, I think that's to be expected. Their nature has changed a lot between entries, it's hard to have a good picture of what they really mean without analyzing the whole series. The original game, A Link to the Past, and Majora's Mask have almost nothing in common in their dungeon design philosophy. But that fans are continually disappointed by outside attempts at crafting them points to there being some sort of unified expectations.

Dungeons are decently large, and usually non-linear (in the sense of not being a straight path that largely avoids backtracking to previous rooms), or at least attempting to give the illusion of non-linearity. Zelda will occasionally make purposeful use of a more straightforward level that is technically a dungeon, like Hyrule Castle in A Link the Past, but this is an exception, not the norm. Also present is the expectation that you have to think of the dungeon as more than the room you are currently in. In its most famous form, this concept was codified by Link's Awakening, which began the tradition that the item in each dungeon would be used to interact with things in previous rooms in new ways, and eventually defeat the boss. But even the original game's simple labyrinths have a shape which can serve as a clue to how to solve them, and ask you to figure out how to navigate from one part to another, because you can't always just walk straight there. A Link to the Past has you figuring out how to reach a particular room in a more involved version of the same process, now capable of using multiple layers, floors, and more unique layouts to complicate things.

This is the defining factor of the Zelda dungeon experience from The Legend of Zelda to A Link Between Worlds, and it's different from a standard RPG dungeon because there is no expectation there that actually finding the end is a challenge of anything other than persistance. Again, RPG dungeons are made first and foremost to wear you down. Most don't feel any need to make a puzzle of it and hit you with constant locked doors and secret passages and whatnot because it's plain overkill for accomplishing their purpose of making you walk for long enough to get a bunch of random encounters and make decisions about looking for treasure or rushing to the end, item use, when to heal, whether or not to leave and come back later, etc.

That basic pathfinding experience is at the heart of a Zelda dungeon. It's not just a series of puzzles and monster encounters with a map, a compass, an item, and a boss at the end. The puzzles and combat are, especially early in the series, extremely simple. They're merely the spice to keep you engaged in the moment to moment as you work on the larger navigational problem that is the true meat of the dungeon. With that perspective, people who try to imitate Zelda dungeons often come off like someone making a Mario course with enemies and blocks, but no platforming mechanic to serve as the central thrust of the level. In the 2000's, the series made a shift towards having a greater focus on individual puzzle motifs which grow more complex room by room, often at the expense of the original focus on navigation, but even this has a level of complexity that others usually fail to replicate in how it interacts with the theming and items.

Take Okami, for instance. It's very good at items and exploration, but in terms of dungeons, not a single one would ever make the cut in an actual Zelda game. Most pressingly, most are far too short. Some don't even have a boss. They're also mostly straight paths, and this is a little odd. The Moon Cave, the most time-sensitive dungeon plot-wise, is the only one to have a sprawling layout somewhat akin to a proper Zelda dungeon. The climactic Oni Island being a gauntlet of challenges sort of works, but when the rest of the game is just as focused, it doesn't feel like an intentional deviation in pacing and more like business as usual.

The reason people often talk about open air Zelda as if it doesn't even have dungeons is because in any meaningful sense, it doesn't. The Divine Beasts and the TotK Temples are slightly more elaborate shrines, but being ultimately just a few "rooms", are still far too small and simple to really replicate the sort of experience any past dungeons gave. Hyrule Castle is a large explorable space, but like most of the game, it puts no real obstacles in your path, so finding your way to the top is more of a formality than something meant as an actual challenge. I think they may have tried to do navigational challenges with things like the different entrances you need to find in the Wind Temple, but the "how do I get there" always ends up coming off as more of an isolated puzzle no different than "how do I get past those flames" or "how do I open that door" due to the small space.

I wish I could write as big and lenghty posts as others lol. But I think there are a good number of youtube videos on Zelda's dungeon designs as well

here is just one

I also found a series of videos analyzing all of Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess's dungeons

Man the discussion here is so good! Thank you all. I imagine a round table of finely dressed aristocrats are making all these thought provoking points.

The dungeon terminology is kind of interesting when you think about it. The way we use it has become almost completely divorced from the origin of the word. I assume the "a labyrinthine subterranean setting" use comes from Dungeons and Dragons somehow. That's the only definition for this sense of the word I found, but even that's only a superficial description of the majority of what are called dungeons nowadays. I would say it's honestly an outdated and incorrect definition, because it doesn't contain anything inherent or important to a space getting described as a dungeon. There's a whole elaborate mythology to the concept that this doesn't touch on at all.

So without trying to go too deep into the history of the word and getting off track, what is a dungeon? It's not necessarily underground, but it is some sort of contained space. It's unusual for it to be outdoors, but far from unheard of. "Labyrinthine" is a good word, and I think gets to the heart of the traditional form and purpose of dungeons. The traditional purpose of an RPG dungeon is as an endurance challenge. The sprawling design is not necessarily to provide a challenge in itself, but to wear you down and whittle away at your resources as you attempt to find treasures and advance deeper into the dungeon. A dungeon crawl is about resource management. Resource management is not really a factor in Zelda after the first few games. It's most prominent in A Link to the Past, which actually uses MP in a very RPG-like fashion where you can run out and be unable to defeat the boss at the end of the dungeon. But most Zelda games don't have MP and even in the more difficult ones dwindling resources are not usually a big factor.

Series like Dragon Quest, Pokemon, and SMT sometimes include some light puzzle-solving elements, like a room where you need to turn some statues or raise and lower gates or push some things, or a maze of teleporters that you need to understand the workings of to get where you need to go, and it's my understanding that this is inherited from the concept of tabletop dungeons having Indiana Jones-like riddles in them. It's from things like this that you can sort of begin to see where Zelda dungeons come from, but it's also important to note that these are not the default states of these games. A Dragon Quest dungeon is most commonly a fairly straightforward delve with some branching paths for treasure and dead ends to further wear you down with random encounters. Simple and functional. SMT on the other hand likes its elaborate nightmare dungeons, but the "puzzles" are generally mostly about wearing you down in a more elaborate fashion, which is why a lot of them can only really be solved through trial and error. I think a common flaw with later RPG dungeons is that when they do try to include puzzles, they're mostly uninteresting busywork or annoyances where you have to play Sokoban or a Hamiltonian Path or some other stock puzzle you've seen a million times before. Zelda was able to gradually include more complicated and contemplative puzzle-solving in large part because it dropped that element of wearing you down over time completely.

It's worth noting that the "dungeon item" concept didn't exist until Link's Awakening, which is the point in the series where it completely drops endurance testing. Every dungeon in the early games had at least one item to find, but it didn't necessarily have any use in that dungeon, and was sometimes completely optional. You could say that The Legend of Zelda began as a conversion of the tabletop RPG that tried to do away with number abstractions as much as possible to make an action game instead. The way I like to think of it though is that, you have Adventure games, which descend from Colossal Cave Adventure. They're generally about picking up items and figuring out where to go use them. But then you have Action Adventure games, which is kind of a wastebasket taxon nowadays, but in my mind Zelda is the defining Action Adventure game. There's a lot of talk about Zelda's "lock and key design", and that's how Adventure games work on a basic level. The items could functionally all be reskinned keys. But what makes an Action Adventure game? The items are actions. You simply cannot finish Zelda without getting good at using the sword yourself. Many of its items require some level of mastery and punish inept usage as much as unwise usage. And as the series goes on, the functionality of its items becomes more and more involved, with each one being a whole new toy to play with and introducing a new mechanic to be the focus of that level and referred back to throughout the game thereafter.

What a Zelda dungeon is has changed over time. At first they were really just labyrinths full of monsters, with the only puzzles being like "the room is dark" or "find which block to push to open the door". A Link to the Past dungeons could now have multiple floors and rooms with layers and whatever shape, and perhaps as a result of this are each differentiated primarily by having a distinct structure. The Desert Palace has the huge open first section, and then the narrow linear second section. Skull Woods has a bunch of different entrances, you make circuits around the Ice Palace, Swamp Palace needs you to drain water from rooms to access the lower portions, etc. This is where they first really had unique theming, but it's very light and doesn't really apply to anything besides the tilesets yet. Link's Awakening dungeons solidified Metroidvania level design almost a full year before Super Metroid. Each dungeon has a second "act" where after you obtain the item, you can go back through previous rooms and interact with a bunch of objects or obstacles in a new way. For instance, being able to smash the crystals after getting the Pegasus Boots in Key Cavern.

Ocarina of Time is where theming of dungeons truly became important. Not only did they all take on elemental themes, but they each had unique music reflecting their separate identities. The switch to 3D brought a somewhat slower and less combat-focused pace, as well as a naturally expanded capacity for puzzle design where you could now look around and interact with the whole space of a room. Perhaps the biggest impact it had for the series going forward is introducing puzzle box dungeons like the Water Temple, which have you manipulating the space of the dungeon itself to progress. Link's Awakening sort of had a precursor to this in Eagle's Tower, but it was a one-time puzzle rather than a switch that must be pressed with intentionality to change the dungeon's state. It was another increase in dungeon complexity, and each one was made more individually memorable by giving it a stronger identity and having you spend more time in them.

Wind Waker was another major shift for how a Zelda dungeon would be designed, and it's where they reached what was more or less their final form. The N64 Zelda games put a lot of effort into theming, but this still didn't quite apply to the mechanical contents of the dungeon. A lot of the smaller puzzles especially were at the end of the day still mostly about generic switches and blocks in some fashion, and they were also a bit random. The Forest Temple for example is full of very disconnected sections and ideas like shooting the ghost paintings, the courtyard, the rotating room, the corkscrew hallways, the block maze, and the falling ceiling. Wind Waker began designing its puzzles like a Mario stage. A mechanic is introduced, iterated upon, and twisted as the dungeon goes on. So in Forbidden Woods, you immediately learn that these eyeball plants blocking the doors can be destroyed by throwing these big nuts at them. A bunch of puzzles are made about getting these two together. Then you get the boomerang, which can destroy these without all that complication where none of your other weapons could, giving you that classic feeling of power. In the Earth Temple, beams of light can destroy statues and freeze the undead, and your partner Medli carries a reflective object which can redirect them. Then you get the Mirror Shield, allowing you to not only more easily utilize light beams without having to pose Medli like a doll, but solve more complex light puzzles where Medli reflects the light into a specific spot for Link to stand and redirect it a second time somewhere else.

If there's one aspect of the series that even the best imitators usually fail to replicate, it's the dungeons. Almost never does somebody truly get why these are compelling. And to be fair, I think that's to be expected. Their nature has changed a lot between entries, it's hard to have a good picture of what they really mean without analyzing the whole series. The original game, A Link to the Past, and Majora's Mask have almost nothing in common in their dungeon design philosophy. But that fans are continually disappointed by outside attempts at crafting them points to there being some sort of unified expectations.

Dungeons are decently large, and usually non-linear (in the sense of not being a straight path that largely avoids backtracking to previous rooms), or at least attempting to give the illusion of non-linearity. Zelda will occasionally make purposeful use of a more straightforward level that is technically a dungeon, like Hyrule Castle in A Link the Past, but this is an exception, not the norm. Also present is the expectation that you have to think of the dungeon as more than the room you are currently in. In its most famous form, this concept was codified by Link's Awakening, which began the tradition that the item in each dungeon would be used to interact with things in previous rooms in new ways, and eventually defeat the boss. But even the original game's simple labyrinths have a shape which can serve as a clue to how to solve them, and ask you to figure out how to navigate from one part to another, because you can't always just walk straight there. A Link to the Past has you figuring out how to reach a particular room in a more involved version of the same process, now capable of using multiple layers, floors, and more unique layouts to complicate things.

This is the defining factor of the Zelda dungeon experience from The Legend of Zelda to A Link Between Worlds, and it's different from a standard RPG dungeon because there is no expectation there that actually finding the end is a challenge of anything other than persistance. Again, RPG dungeons are made first and foremost to wear you down. Most don't feel any need to make a puzzle of it and hit you with constant locked doors and secret passages and whatnot because it's plain overkill for accomplishing their purpose of making you walk for long enough to get a bunch of random encounters and make decisions about looking for treasure or rushing to the end, item use, when to heal, whether or not to leave and come back later, etc.

That basic pathfinding experience is at the heart of a Zelda dungeon. It's not just a series of puzzles and monster encounters with a map, a compass, an item, and a boss at the end. The puzzles and combat are, especially early in the series, extremely simple. They're merely the spice to keep you engaged in the moment to moment as you work on the larger navigational problem that is the true meat of the dungeon. With that perspective, people who try to imitate Zelda dungeons often come off like someone making a Mario course with enemies and blocks, but no platforming mechanic to serve as the central thrust of the level. In the 2000's, the series made a shift towards having a greater focus on individual puzzle motifs which grow more complex room by room, often at the expense of the original focus on navigation, but even this has a level of complexity that others usually fail to replicate in how it interacts with the theming and items.

Take Okami, for instance. It's very good at items and exploration, but in terms of dungeons, not a single one would ever make the cut in an actual Zelda game. Most pressingly, most are far too short. Some don't even have a boss. They're also mostly straight paths, and this is a little odd. The Moon Cave, the most time-sensitive dungeon plot-wise, is the only one to have a sprawling layout somewhat akin to a proper Zelda dungeon. The climactic Oni Island being a gauntlet of challenges sort of works, but when the rest of the game is just as focused, it doesn't feel like an intentional deviation in pacing and more like business as usual.

The reason people often talk about open air Zelda as if it doesn't even have dungeons is because in any meaningful sense, it doesn't. The Divine Beasts and the TotK Temples are slightly more elaborate shrines, but being ultimately just a few "rooms", are still far too small and simple to really replicate the sort of experience any past dungeons gave. Hyrule Castle is a large explorable space, but like most of the game, it puts no real obstacles in your path, so finding your way to the top is more of a formality than something meant as an actual challenge. I think they may have tried to do navigational challenges with things like the different entrances you need to find in the Wind Temple, but the "how do I get there" always ends up coming off as more of an isolated puzzle no different than "how do I get past those flames" or "how do I open that door" due to the small space.
Much like my point, the highly functional and extensive "lock and key" nature of The Legend of Zelda's prop and ability design is one of the things that sets The Legend of Zelda apart and separates it from tabletop RPGs (which, as you say, are the same thing as giant cave adventures!)distinction and becoming the granddaddy of action-adventure games.

Just wanted to say that this was a really great post. Very thoughtful and insightful analysis.

It's the condensed gameplay goodness of combat and puzzles and theming. The good ones usually kinda tutorialize a simpler version of a puzzle and then get progressively more complex as you get deeper, including puzzles that stretch over multiple rooms. Things you do in one room will affect another which leads to "AHA" moments. Ending with a thematic and intimidating boss (hopefully)

Back
Top Bottom