• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What do you want in Fallout 5 or the next Fallout game by Bethesda or Obsidian or some other studio?

merp

Darknut
Pronouns
He/him
Fallout series sucks.

...Got your attention now, didn't I?

(Well, it's fanbase sucks, especially the Brotherhood fans and NCR fans, but they're the only two factions that ever get written or developed at all nowadays so whatever...)

(It's partly why I chose the Institute, but you couldn't do anything as the leader or whatever.)

Also, I like this clip that I made:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxprPE3E1xXdPD4a6BPxfyulZo0YB9lA5V

From this video here:

Anyways, what do you want for the Fallout series going forward?

What location? (Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alaska, or the interior of the United States in general sounds nice.)

What subject matter or theme? (Fallout 4 was synths, Fallout: New Vegas had a desert area and resource war, etc.)

What "lore developments" do you want to see?

Do communists even exist in post-apocalyptic Americana?

What crazy side-characters and companions should we see?

And is Fallout 5 or Fallout: Insert Spinoff Title Here is still going be made by Bethesda, Obsidian, inXile, etc.?

Also, it would be nice to have competent writers that isn't the head writer (the disgraced Chris Avallone) of Fallout: New Vegas (a game that I... didn't quite like as much as I should've, but it's not like I really finished it, at least as much as other people, but eh)

Also, Fallout needs good characters, good people. And not Brotherhood or NCR or whatever. Like, actual characters that are fun or interesting.

P.S. watch the YouTube clip, I'm proud of that one.

I first played Fallout 3 because I enjoyed Oblivion and because the game was set in my home region. I enjoyed walking to the cities I knew in real life and seeing how inaccurate they were. While Fallout 3 was good, New Vegas was better. I put about 60 hours into that one I last remember. I picked up Fallout 4 when I first got my PS4 in 2015 but I couldn't get into it. I also got The Witcher 3 and Xenoblade X around that time and those games captured my attention more.

Not sure where they should take the series next. Maybe some place like the Dakotas would change things up environment wise.

Would love if they made a game more like Fallout 3. Crafting is never interesting in open world games, just let me nuke people and see cool stuff.

I first played Fallout 3 because I enjoyed Oblivion and because the game was set in my home region. I enjoyed walking to the cities I knew in real life and seeing how inaccurate they were. While Fallout 3 was good, New Vegas was better. I put about 60 hours into that one I last remember. I picked up Fallout 4 when I first got my PS4 in 2015 but I couldn't get into it. I also got The Witcher 3 and Xenoblade X around that time and those games captured my attention more.

Not sure where they should take the series next. Maybe some place like the Dakotas would change things up environment wise.
To be honest, I remember enjoying Dragon Age Inquisition more (before it became popular on the Internet).

Honestly if Starfield works out I wouldn't mind Fallout just taking a backseat for a while and them doing Starfield for sci-fi alternating with Elder Scrolls. I've only really enjoyed New Vegas of the 3D Fallout games so it wouldn't be a huge loss for me.

Honestly if Starfield works out I wouldn't mind Fallout just taking a backseat for a while and them doing Starfield for sci-fi alternating with Elder Scrolls. I've only really enjoyed New Vegas of the 3D Fallout games so it wouldn't be a huge loss for me.
Just give it to a new studio or Obsidian (but don't overdo it with Obsidian, they're not that good, in my opinion).

Hehe

Hey, you?

Yeah... You...

Wanna hear a joke?

Fallout 1: I need to find the water part

Fallout 2: I need to find the G.E.C.K.

Fallout 3: I need to find my dad

Fallout 4: I need to find my son

Fallout new Vegas: Who the fuck shot me in the head

Don't care much about setting or lore, but after Fallout 4 the next game needs better role-playing systems systems, including the way dialogue options work. If we could have a blank slate protagonist and just better writing in general, that'd be swell.

I want more jingle jangle

and way more intricate questlines and way more RPG'ing. 1 + 2 were perfect and were not afraid to lock you out of content. 3, NV + 4 are really boring.

Don't care much about setting or lore, but after Fallout 4 the next game needs better role-playing systems systems, including the way dialogue options work. If we could have a blank slate protagonist and just better writing in general, that'd be swell.
I'll just agree with you in that Fallout has a really boring setting when you think about it.

And I would also say that the setting is also underutilized.

I want more jingle jangle

and way more intricate questlines and way more RPG'ing. 1 + 2 were perfect and were not afraid to lock you out of content. 3, NV + 4 are really boring.
You included New Vegas in the "really boring" category.

...I like you.

Obsidian >>>
inXile isometric game > whatever Obsidian produces

I'd like a remake of Fallout 2, honestly. Not in the first person style of the later entries - keep it true to the original - but rebuilt from the ground up as an isometric CRPG with all the QOL elements we've come to expect. Yes, I've been playing Weird West. Can you tell?

As far as moving forward goes, Bethesda don't get Fallout. New Vegas is the only one produced under their reign that is even remotely worth a damn. Thankfully it is worth many damns. There's a joke about Hoover Dam here that I could shoehorn in but I can't be bothered with the leg work.

Basically New Vegas good, others bad. Bethesda bad, Obsidian good.

More New Vegas please.

Put me in two of the camps mentioned here.

Camp 1 I’d prefer if they leaned into the game being an RPG.

Camp 2 If Starfield is as amazing as I am hoping (now my most anticipated game this year with the Zelda delay) they can sit on Fallout for a another half a decade or more for all I care.

Fewer bugs. Fallout 4 was a good game, but bugs and glitches ruined it.
I would say it was a good game in terms of atmosphere and music (not the radio music).

We don't ever talk about that.

Just keep adding stuff to Fallout 76. Maybe more people will realize it's quickly finding its footing that way.

It probably wont happen as i imagine Obsidian is liking this thing of doing their own stuff but id love if fallout 5 was made by them. Fallout 3 is so... lacking. The only quest i remember from playing it is one related to a hotel, while in NV the best part of the game was how unforgettable the writing is. I havent played 4 and 76 yet so maybe they get better at it there?

It probably wont happen as i imagine Obsidian is liking this thing of doing their own stuff but id love if fallout 5 was made by them. Fallout 3 is so... lacking. The only quest i remember from playing it is one related to a hotel, while in NV the best part of the game was how unforgettable the writing is. I havent played 4 and 76 yet so maybe they get better at it there?
They didn't.

This is a general Bethesda comment but: the crap to carry capacity ratio is way off in their games. I can't go between "dungeons" in this game without having to return to a civilisation hub to dump my pockets. Please please please make it so it is easier to stay out in the world. F4 you end up using crutches: eternally travelling with companion and wearing Power Armour.

I know I could choose to simply not pick stuff up, but the game makes it not really a feasible strategy. Caps are hard enough to come by, base building & modding is junk heavy, and the game never really feels angled towards the "backpack survivor" that I think it feels it is.

If the game can keep me in the world as much as possible, I'd love that.

I would like to return to the west coast, so I guess Obsidian is the obvious choice. Feels like that's kind of the general vibe of the series now, with East being Beth and Obsidian being West. Either way, really, I'd like to go further north, maybe even as far as Washington. The annexation of Canada is one of those Fallout lore things that's been there since the very first game but has yet to be explored in any significant capacity via gameplay. That and having an easily identifiable landmark like the Space Needle and a city like Seattle is probably a pretty good "hook" for visual identity.

That and Wasteland is clearly perfectly capable of handling the southwest, so why not Northwest?

Really as long as it's still got V.A.T.S. and a huge world to explore, I'm open to about anything for the rest. Any part of the country can make for an interesting map with its own set of unique locations/legends/cryptids/whatever, with the right scale to make it fit in a game-feasible map.

I adored Fallout 4 but I'd be okay with Obsidian doing 5. Bethesda is going to be busy with TES6 and expansions/DLC for it and Starfield.

90% less gunfight against brainless ennemies with no other option, more, more, more open ended choice.

Fallout 4 is probably one of the worst RPG I played and the main reason I don’t rank it under PierSolar in my all time worst RPG it’s because at least Fallout 4 doesn’t contain anti-muslim text.

EDIT :
Also please Bethesda, please : put an UI that is readable, usefull and isn’t stuck on the pip boy screen ! Why, goddamn it, why can’t you make a full screen UI ?!

Just keep adding stuff to Fallout 76. Maybe more people will realize it's quickly finding its footing that way.
It already found its footing.

It is a good game.

...Except for the Brotherhood of Steel shoe-in; I hate them.

I hate the Brotherhood of Steel.

...Did I mention that I hate them?

I want Obsidian to make it and to bring over the dialog system from Alpha Protocol wholesale. Tie it to the perk system.
Alpha Protocol...

obi-wan-star-wars.gif

I wish they would get rid of the PipBoy and use this instead.

And maybe make the VATS thing into some sort-of device or ability or the result of some cybernetic enhancement.

I want the next Fallout to be made by a studio that remember that french players don't use QWERTY but AZERTY so I'd love for the game to allow me to remap ALL the keys, including VATS & Construction mode, not just movement !

Man, 8 and a half year and this still hasn't been fixed.

As an NCR fan, I want a New Vegas remake, not a Fallout 5. Restored cut content, a real post game.

I'd rather the series die than get another one by Bethesda's internal team. It should only go to Obsidian or another company.

Look anyone who wants another Fallout game to play should get Wasteland 3.

It's dark, funny, complicated and extremely well-written. More importantly it STARTS on Hoover Dam so it's basically a New Vegas sequel.

Back
Top Bottom