• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions What Do You Think Metroid Prime 4 Is Going Innovative On The Metroidvaina Formula?

I don't think it's as important for Metroid Prime 4 to innovate on the "Metroidvania formula" as it is for it to innovate on what Metroid Prime has done. And yes, those are different things. Specifically, having good combat and cutting back on traversal time would be big steps forward, as well as making movement more fun in general. These are things that wouldn't necessarily be innovative in the genre, but would push Metroid Prime forward where it counts.

Smell-O-Vision

I don't think the fourth one is going to bring that much new stuff to the table tbh. Probably more "circular" level design with shortcuts to alleviate some of the backtracking but that's not really innovative per se.

I suspect Doom 2016/Eternal and Titanfall/2 will be touchstones for it - a bit faster paced, more action-y (wall running etc...) and a return to a more open classic MP1 kind of exploration rather than dark world gimmicks etc...

Little more Freedom/ freeform maneuvering to an extent. Lets keep the essence of Metroid please.

More acrobatics: Samus is athletic and inside super armor suit. Let me speed boost and shine spark in first person. Let her slide, wall run/jump, flip idk just more movement options this should be looking like Mirrors Edge at this point.

More cinematic moments built into the gameplay like the Metroid Dread bosses.

More Isolated spooky ambiance and ost please

Samus will be equipped with some abilities from the get-go and won't lose them in some freak accident forcing her to find them again. She'll have morph ball, bombs, charge beam, missles and grappling hook. As a result, the game will be more open world from the start, but not on the level of BotW/TotK. There will certainly be classic and new abilities to find along the way.

Everyone keeps insisting Prime 4 will somehow be open world and I don't know how else to explain it to people but an open world Prime 4 on the switch would look like dogshit. Assuming it uses the same engine as they are using to remaster the trilogies, they will achieve a decent looking game with the same techniques as the prime remasters and those techniques don't work in an open world game.

Much more likely it's going to be not some revolutionary title but instead just the logical extension of the underutilized and unused ideas from previous Prime games.

I hope it innovates the genre by having a good, memorable soundtrack. Haven't had one of those in a Metroidvania for a good while, Prime Remastered aside.

I hope it innovates the genre by having a good, memorable soundtrack. Haven't had one of those in a Metroidvania for a good while, Prime Remastered aside.
My man hasn't played Hollow Knight.

Anyways I really don't think Prime 4 should try to do anything crazy. It's been over a decade since the last game and it took a break because the devs wanted to move on. It's not like 2D Mario which kind of had to reinvent itself because the last impression most people had was generic and boring. Most people don't have an impression of the Prime series or 3D Metroidvanias, so they should just make a really good game and then the next game should be the one to shake things up.

One of the things I'm most excited about is what they're going to do in terms of narrative. Where the game is going to be in terms of chronology. The original trilogy is complete as it is, so I'm really excited and curious to see what they're going to come up with here.

My man hasn't played Hollow Knight.

Anyways I really don't think Prime 4 should try to do anything crazy. It's been over a decade since the last game and it took a break because the devs wanted to move on. It's not like 2D Mario which kind of had to reinvent itself because the last impression most people had was generic and boring. Most people don't have an impression of the Prime series or 3D Metroidvanias, so they should just make a really good game and then the next game should be the one to shake things up.
No I did, just only a few songs really stuck out to me. Mantis Lords and Nightmare King are great, but compared to like, Super Metroid, Prime 1, Symphony or Aria? Doesn't even come close, personally.

There will be the ability to customize your spaceship with little knic-knacs that will serve no gameplay purpose.

I will scour whatever planet we are stuck in for this purpose with no regards to anything else.

I wonder how much of an influence Tanabe will have over it, if it'll be more action based and focus on the Federation and Sylus like he seems to want, or if it'll be a return to the lonely, isolation atmosphere of MP1 and be more of a puzzle/adventure game than a shooter

i'll predict it being the former- influenced by Doom Eternal and have a lot more mobility options and be combat focused.

I'm going to make a wild guess and suggest it'll be an arthouse game, very cryptic and no text/voiceovers. Targeted at an older, 'connoisseur' demographic.

I could be wrong.

Sakamoto got his redemption tour and it was glorious, I’m ready for Tanabe’s turn.
I would have loved an Ask The Developpers about Dread, and unfortunately I'm not sure at all that Nintendo will give us one for Prime 4.

New? Probably not much. But there really has not been anything like it since 2007, so that's good enough for me. There have been a handful of 3D games that have incorporated Metroid-like/Metroidvania elements into their game (Arkham Asylum, Dark Souls, etc), but nothing nearly to the degree that the Prime games did.

In other words, I just hope it's going to be a sequel ass sequel, and that's ok!

I want them to innovate by figuring out how to end a game without a lame-ass last minute macguffin fetch quest for once

More seriously, I don't actually think Prime 4 really needs to innovate all that much. Like, I'm not saying it needs to be a paint-by-numbers type of thing, but as is there already aren't really a lot of games out there that do quite the same things that Metroid Prime does (Arkham Asylum and Doom 2016 are, in their own ways, probably the closest I can think of in the AAA space), and there hasn't been a new Metroid Prime in a decade and a half. It doesn't need to reinvent the wheel so much as it just needs to come out and be a Metroid Prime-ass game

There are definitely improvements and adjustments I think they'll make (better mobility/combat and more open less-segmented areas are good shouts), but imo the most important thing is to take all the things that made Prime 1 great and release a new game that does all that on a console with an actual install base

What I expect: Movement options that show that Retro has been paying attention while the likes of Bulletstorm and both modern Doom games have demonstrated how you can have agile movement in a first person view.

What I want (especially after some rounds of Ultrakill): Movement and combat depth up the wazoo, such that the game is still easy to play, but the prospective skill ceiling is high. Part of what makes Metroid so enjoyable was that, after awhile, what you and Samus are capable of is limited only your execution, creativity and what you have access to. A sandbox with all the tools you have at your disposal, rather than because of the game being any more "open".

Samus can and should be Nintendo's homegrown "stylish action hero". Or rather, I always saw her that way!

What I expect: Movement options that show that Retro has been paying attention while the likes of Bulletstorm and both modern Doom games have demonstrated how you can have agile movement in a first person view.

What I want (especially after some rounds of Ultrakill): Movement and combat depth up the wazoo, such that the game is still easy to play, but the prospective skill ceiling is high. Part of what makes Metroid so enjoyable was that, after awhile, what you and Samus are capable of is limited only your execution, creativity and what you have access to. A sandbox with all the tools you have at your disposal, rather than because of the game being any more "open".

Samus can and should be Nintendo's homegrown "stylish action hero". Or rather, I always saw her that way!

You're just several minutes ahead of what I was generally going to say. Make Samus move and feel quicker!

If they figure out a cool intuitive way to incorporate shinespark as well, that'd be pretty amazing. They would have to be clever about it for multiple ways...but yeah, I don't think we'll be seeing revolutionary search action in Prime 4.

...but yeah, I don't think we'll be seeing revolutionary search action in Prime 4.
Probably not, but I'm open to being surprised.

To say the least, Prime's position is unique, compared to Dread, in that the 3D Metroid-like/Search-action field is pretty thin at the moment, with really Respawn's Jedi games being the only other recent contender. When Prime 4 comes out, I believe it should be doing everything to assert why Samus is the Queen over on this side, too.

I'm more than down if it's basically something that continues from where the Lightning Armor's "lightsaber" left off.
It just seems like the kind of thing to do. Doom Guy got one. Dread has melee but no dedicated weapon. Laser Swords are cool.

If I was a betting man I’d put money on it.

As others have been saying, it really doesn't need to do anything, the very idea of a 3D Metroidvania is so novel at this point that I sometimes see "2D sidescroller" specified when people are defining the genre.

Also as others have been saying, I don't really want it to do anything besides revitalize Prime by incorporating some lessons from the 2D Metroids. Don't aggressively come out against speedrunning and movement tech in direct contrast to the entire rest of the series. Facilitate faster backtracking via increased firepower and movement capabilities over the course of the game instead of deliberately wasting the player's time with tedium like the Magmoor slog, Chozo Ghosts, and those Space Pirates from Echoes that were just worse Chozo Ghosts. Also, the only key hunting I want to see is these guys:
Kihunter_mf_Sprite.png

Back
Top Bottom