• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club What do you consider the "official" Pikmin theme song?

Quick! Hum the song that is quintessentially Pikmin!

• Total voters

Brofield

Magical Famicomrade
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him/His
ep50-header.jpg

The Pikmin series has a great number of songs by a number of talented composers, but if you were asked to hum the theme song of Pikmin, what would it be? A fan Pikmin Wiki article based on the series goes into far greater musical theory for those interested, but the thought has rolled around in my head and just...what is the definitive Pikmin song? Not that it has to be associated with your favourite Pikmin game, just whichever has the most iconic song that defines the entire series.

I mean, each title screen across the games have different ambient ideas and motifs going on:

Or, do you consider the music that's consistent across the games? File Select is recurring often, but let's not forget that the Sunset Fanfare is pretty prominent in almost every entry (and the cool little refreshes Pikmin 2 did for both good and bad days).

Maybe it's just a personal favourite area theme song you've heard so much it's ingrained into your head. For my money, The Forest Of Hope lives in my head rent-free at any given moment and, despite only being in Pikmin 1, is pretty iconic in its own right. I would make the argument that perhaps it is THE song of the series.

Then of course, is the well-known (and lamented loss in the Switch release of Pikmin 2) 'Ai no Uta', and the subsequent Easter Egg also lost due to license expiry where the Pikmin would hum the song if you had 20 of each of red, yellow, blue, purple and white following you around. Come on, Nintendo. If these games were to be released was going to as barebones as they were, you could have splurged a little on the licensing.

Regardless of your choice, a number of composers worked on the series across six games:
Hajime Wakai - 1, 2, 3
Kazumi Totaka - 2
Atsuko Asahi - 3
Asuka Hayazaki - 3, 4
Soshi Abe - 3, 3 Deluxe, 4
Ayoko "Babi" Tachibana - 3 Deluxe
Kenta Nagata - 4
Masato Kouda - Hey! Pikmin, Bloom
Kento Hasegawa - Hey! Pikmin

All of them deserve kudos, because damn rarely can I think of a game series that has banger after banger after banger after banger after banger like this team has pulled off.

In my head, it's definitely the Pikmin 2 theme. And that's coming from someone who holds that game as the weakest one of the mainline franchise.

The motif that is shared between the first 3 games title themes, they go for different moods and compositions, but part of the melody remains with all of them (don't think I hear it in 4's) is also used in some cutscenes and in Pikmin 3's mission mode, so I always considered that the Pikmin theme.

As an old fart, it's the Pikmin 1 title screen. It's a really great track, too. It's calming, tribal, catchy, weird, simple.

It might be a bit odd, but for me, it's the World Map themes of the first two games that come to mind when I think of Pikmin, mainly that of the second game.

Honestly, I was going back and forth on including them in the original OP, and mostly decided against it only because there were already a lot of links haha

Otherwise, I fully agree with you too and can understand your reasoning

The Pikmin 1 title screen that was used for its initial trailer is definitely what I think of.

The world map theme in the first 2 Pikmin games is usually what I think of, followed by Ai no Uta.

It's... the main theme. This thread confuses me because Pikmin has very much had a consistent main theme.
I disagree, hence the premise of the thread haha. But what is the consistent main theme then? Because I hear motifs and repeating ideas, but nothing like the Pokemon theme song across mainline game entries, or Super Mario 1-1 that gets remixed across multiple entries and spinoffs

I see that little 5-note motif that shows up in all the themes as the series theme, even if it isn't much.

As for the best? Easily Pikmin 4's. It's incredible.

It might be a bit odd, but for me, it's the World Map themes of the first two games that come to mind when I think of Pikmin, mainly that of the second game.
This has been my exact feeling ever since stumbling on this perfect performance of both songs

I disagree, hence the premise of the thread haha. But what is the consistent main theme then? Because I hear motifs and repeating ideas, but nothing like the Pokemon theme song across mainline game entries, or Super Mario 1-1 that gets remixed across multiple entries and spinoffs
The "Pikmin motif" started as the main melody for the title theme of the first game and was then used all over to denote the Pikmin themselves in Pikmin 2 onwards, while remaining the basis of the title theme for 2 and 3. It also appears a minute into 4's title theme according to the wiki, but I couldn't really tell. 4 barely has music anyway, so it breaking this tradition wouldn't be that weird. Though even then it still keeps most of the traditional jingles around, the theme is definitely in the game.

It's also the basis of other tracks posted in this thread like the Pikmin 3 Mission Mode theme and the Pikmin 2 map theme.

I don't think the spinoffs have any direct musical connections to the main series at all? But I've never played them myself so I'm not that familiar.

Also, because it's one of those series that got stuck with a really stupid fixation in its music selection, I think Garden of Hope is the only Pikmin remix in Smash that isn't at least half a version of the main theme. Almost as many versions as DK Island Swing, it's pretty dire.

I WANNA BE, THE VERY BE--- Oh, Pikmin... oops
I was about to write parody lyrics, but honestly, the entire song works perfectly fine with that single word swap. Pikmin are my best friend, in a world we must defend. Those are facts.

it's absolutely Ai No Uta. there was a single release for it in Japan containing multiple remixes, such as this astonishing techno version that sounds ripped right out of Initial D.

it's absolutely Ai No Uta. there was a single release for it in Japan containing multiple remixes, such as this astonishing techno version that sounds ripped right out of Initial D.

I started watching Initial D seriously for the first time two days ago. I am currently five episodes into the first season.

The comparison is apt and I am living for this remix. Also I am having cursed visions about what a Pikmin game could potentially look like to feature this song lmfao šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

I voted "Other". For me the theme has always been the Results Screen. I was always happy that it stuck around all these years in each entry. I love how its a relaxing tune that lets you reflect on what you accomplished in that day/run. I should play this when I got to bed LOL.

I voted "Other". For me the theme has always been the Results Screen. I was always happy that it stuck around all these years in each entry. I love how its a relaxing tune that lets you reflect on what you accomplished in that day/run. I should play this when I got to bed LOL.

oh shit yeah it's totally this

Back
Top Bottom