• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What changes or additions do you want to see in the next Mario Kart?

The Captain

I love flan
Banned
Its no secret Nintendo is working on the next iteration of one of their most top selling series, Mario Kart. What changes or additions would you like to see in this next entry?

I would like to see specials make a return from double dash. The idea of having that unique ace up your sleeve mid race again is a welcome one in my book.
Similar to Mario Kart tour I would also love to see unlockable character alts/skins. It can give players more individuality and options as well as more use for their coins.

So any ideas or hopes?

I'd like for elimination balloon battle mode to return. I also liked the mechanic in the DS version where you had 5 balloons but had to inflate 4 of them during the match. It added another layer of strategy that I've missed since.

I would love a continuous release of content.

If the idea is to have 1 title per system, having the same game for 6-8 years (or longer in the case of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe) gets stale after time.

Releasing new characters and tracks, even if infrequently, would go a long way to extend the life of the game for players that jump in on release.

Tour as a game is....yeah, but I do think they should take the Reverse and Trick track variants for the next installment.

I don't want full blown Nintendo Kart, as I'd prefer if the track designs are mostly unique. Guest characters, though? Go nuts.

It's the Smash Ultimate problem all over again. They made such a complete game that the only way to top it is go sideways: Mario Kart & All-Stars Racing Transformed. It's time

Obviously that doesn't mean characters like Snake, Marth or Bayonetta need to show up. But there are plenty of Nintendo characters that would fit right in alongside the likes of Inkling and Villager, like Kirby, Olimar and Pikachu (obv Samus and Captain Falcon too). They can still retain the Mario focus, but up the guest franchise courses

The return of DD's tag mechanic and "super items".

At this point, a game roster would stand to be quite big, whether they strictly stay within the Mario-Wario-Yoshi-DK family, as I hope, or not. And 8DX already bought back the ability to store two items. Why not just go all the way and bring back tag proper?

"But what about bikes, Tre?" If they must come back, give 'em a sidecar. Done.

From a gameplay balance point of view, I'd like it if Bullet Bills were a bit rarer or only reserved for people on last place or so. I can be a bit frustrating when you are middle of pack and you are racing your mind off to get ahead one or two placements and just have that taken away from a barrage of Bullet Bills on your ass.

Feature-wise I'd love it if they brought back the missions from Mario Kart DS. Great single player distraction. I doubt that ever returns given the firm, historic focus on multiplayer.

I'm struggling to think of any new gameplay idea that could be added. I like the decision-making and risk/reward that comes when you approach item blocks--do you go for the double items and risk getting coming away with nothing because everyone else is gunning for them? Or do you play conservative and go for the one? More decisions like that added would be great.

I kind of don't want the next Mario Kart to become a full-on Nintendo/Smash Kart because I don't want non-Mario characters to take away spotlight from the weird choices you have in MK like Shy Guy or Lakitu, that and I think there's potential for that to become its own separate series, like what Diddy Kong Racing was to Mario Kart 64.

But what I do want in a potential MK9 is a large roster full of strange character inclusions. Yeah there are some returning characters or new characters I'd want in such as Birdo or Pauline, but I wanna see a Goomba or even King Ka-Thunk from 3D World, that's how wild I want.

It's hard to foresee what the next big thing should be for Mario Kart, mechanically. I'm willing to wait and see on that front, but I hope whatever Nintendo dreams up leads to more inventive track design, like the air/sea/antigravity mechanics of recent games.

From there, the main thing I wanna see is more side content. Bring back mission mode or have objectives we can tackle to earn rewards. Add more Battle Modes. Stuff like that. I think it'd be interesting to see Tour's score attack style gameplay brought in as a secondary racing mode. Going for points significantly changes up the approach to tracks and how items are used.

Made my views clear in the other thread about Mario Kart vs Nintendo Kart. Would rather the focus stick to Mario with a few guest courses as I feel the flexibilty of the Mario universe provides the developers more opportunities - basically the Mario Kart 8 DLC model. Expanding out into the Luigi, Wario, DK and Yoshi series a little could be nice.

Tour's remixing of tracks is a must. A good way to expand the content. I think Tour's trick system should be its own mode, like time trials, while keeping the main GP mode focused purely on racing. And speaking of modes, probably worth looking at the missions from Mario Kart DS and Wii. For as good as Mario Kart 8 was when it came to the racing, it was pretty barebones for modes. This is one area where they can expand to give the next Mario Kart an edge.

They'll never do it because people just can't be trusted, but I would love to see the emblem maker return. It was a neat little addition to DS that gave your karts that little personal flair. I guess a compromise would be providing preset decals that you can choose from for when you go online.

• Items specific to each character.
  • More variety in courses.
  • Ability to customize races and cups. If I want a 20 lap Baby Park race, let me do it!
  • More tracks getting the HD treatment.
  • New party modes with more classic tracks.

Made my views clear in the other thread about Mario Kart vs Nintendo Kart. Would rather the focus stick to Mario with a few guest courses as I feel the flexibilty of the Mario universe provides the developers more opportunities - basically the Mario Kart 8 DLC model. Expanding out into the Luigi, Wario, DK and Yoshi series a little could be nice.

Tour's remixing of tracks is a must. A good way to expand the content. I think Tour's trick system should be its own mode, like time trials, while keeping the main GP mode focused purely on racing. And speaking of modes, probably worth looking at the missions from Mario Kart DS and Wii. For as good as Mario Kart 8 was when it came to the racing, it was pretty barebones for modes. This is one area where they can expand to give the next Mario Kart an edge.

They'll never do it because people just can't be trusted, but I would love to see the emblem maker return. It was a neat little addition to DS that gave your karts that little personal flair. I guess a compromise would be providing preset decals that you can choose from for when you go online.
Oh man, I forgot about the emblem maker that was so cool. Unfortunately I see your point on not trusting peeps, but maybe they can add a way to give more individuality to karts. Perhaps being able to customize sections of your vehicle with color, maybe color the tires too, idk

I would like to see something like combination of courses, take a pipe or rift to travel through different stages and such.

Add all the characters from Tour and many many more. Like 100 playable characters. Even Piranha Plant, Goomba, every single character in the Mario Universe. Keep other Nintendo characters to DLC only.

The racing can remain the same, MK8 aced it. Add more items, specialized items for each character like Double Dash would be great too.

New items
New tracks
Super moves

DLC for the entire generation, with themed pack (zelda, mario, fzero contents)

• Bring back missions from DS. Would like there to be more single player appeal. If not this, make a hub world where you can explore and have to drive to the start of the cups.
  • Take a page from wave race/blue storm and have the levels change each lap based on weather, events, etc.
  • Take the DKR/Chocobo item mechanic where collecting more of the same gives you a major advantage. The 3 shells/5 banana should require multiple items blocks to get instead of being random
  • I would like things to stay Mario, but it probably won’t happen based on where the DLC went. If you do expand though, make the cups all unique to one series instead of a hodgepodge.

First post here so it might as well be about the best selling game.

Firstly, be like Tour with seasons and costumes, paying £60 for 1 game a system clearly works for them but having an ongoing Mario Kart with stuff rotated in for seasons would probably keep up engagement from early adopters but I don't know if the masses would like that change to it.

Secondly, more single player stuff like the missions from DS, and while I'll agree things like "Use 10/100/1000 mushrooms" are often pointless busy work, they could tack a cosmetic at the end of the chain and it would give a reason to chase down the ones you haven't done while beating the Cups.

Thirdly, more complex tracks. something like a track with 3 paths, say your typical Mushroom Kingdom grass path but with the opportunity to stick with that, go underground or up into the clouds with differing lengths or difficulty to them. Most would logically flock to the quickest path but with item spam you'd be better off trying to avoid them on a different "slower" route. Having to make the decision each lap could be interesting.

Fourthly, either take out the non Mario stuff or fully embrace it.

Forgot to say, add separate gimmick modes, pure nonsensical stuff like firing off shells so big they hit 5 drivers.

Last edited:
Track Builder.
Nintendo have experimented with track builders in plenty of games now, from F-Zero, Labo and even Mario Kart itself (Home Circuit) so it would be neat to see those ideas finally make their way to Mario Kart proper.

A hubworld area you can just play around in with other players online. Just a place where you can do all sorts of tricks or challenges if you want to, but mostly just a place to race around aimlessly in.

I’m not really sure what they can add to top Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. If they don’t have any big ideas, just more Mario Kart 8 please.

So my small wants are more DLC support, more F-Zero tracks, and the ability to make custom rule sets like Smash Bros. It’s time to let us end the tyranny of blue shells and lightning.

I'll buy it if there's an adventure mode. Otherwise I think I'm good on Mario Kart for the forseeable future.

How'd that work when the hop button is the same as the drift button?

I imagine you would hold hop without turning. But doesn't have to work that way, just a way to jump for a bit more mobility would be fun.

Just thought of another way to use it, you could jump onto another player to bounce in front of them.

Make it Nintendo Kart
It's the Smash Ultimate problem all over again. They made such a complete game that the only way to top it is go sideways: Mario Kart & All-Stars Racing Transformed. It's time

Obviously that doesn't mean characters like Snake, Marth or Bayonetta need to show up. But there are plenty of Nintendo characters that would fit right in alongside the likes of Inkling and Villager, like Kirby, Olimar and Pikachu (obv Samus and Captain Falcon too). They can still retain the Mario focus, but up the guest franchise courses
Smash Kart
Wow, do I have a poll for you.

Coins not being completely useless after getting a bunch of them. Maybe better item distribution for players especially the one in front because getting a coin is very deflating.

I know it's a long shot, but I'd love a track builder. If it's good I'd pay double for that alone.

Most of what I want has already been stated like bringing back the unique items and tag mode.

Change Versus mode back to "play until you're done" with a W-L record instead of the play X courses to determine the victor. Sometimes I only have time for 5 races Nintendo!

A multi-year DLC pipeline would be awesome too.

I'm honestly at a loss when it comes on what I'd want to see. Mario Kart 8 is just so packed with goodies after all.

I suppose it would be fun to see more returning characters, and perhaps costumes similar to Mario Kart Tour on mobiles? Otherwise, maybe keep improving battle mode. I haven't played the one in Deluxe, but it seems like a step in the right direction.

Oh, and missions! That was nice thing on DS. But all in all, that's more a side-mode.

I‘d like to see some story context / adventure mode. Or a Challenge mod like in MK DS would be nice. Otherwise maybe more variation in the courses like they are doing in MK Tour (Driving forward and backwards, more routes, slight changes in the course with ramps and stuff).
But honestly they could already do some of this stuff with MK8 if they wanted to.

I think they should take tour and add it to a game. Have characters have a level system only to like level 5 or something and have the race and score thing be a mode. Doesn't have to be the main thing of the game but definitely make it a mode. Of course without the microtransations.

I'd like to see the character exclusive items from Double Dash return, as I dislike how similar characters who are in the same general weight class play to one another (DK and Bowser should have different driving styles for instance). Adding exclusive items would help differentiate characters more. A second change I'd like to see comes from the fan-made Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart. In that game, the blue-shell equivalent does not immeadiately nuke the first place player. Instead, it chases the player from just behind their kart, catching up to them if they ever slow down or get hit by a different item. I think retooling the blue shell to function like that or producing a new item that functions like that would be neat.

I’d like to see reverse and trick courses from Mario Kart Tour as well as more guest characters.

Some single player modes of substance would be swell beyond Grand Prix, and it's too bad that the mission mode is still only found in Mario Kart DS. It could be exclusive obstacle courses or a short driveway with a unique goal, or it could also be races with a twist like shells only or no items. In any way, it would preferably not be restricted to one character for every mission.

I am in agreement that the Reverse and Trick variants for each track would be great, since they changed the way each track could be played in a major way. Mirror mode is decent and not so costly to implement, but designing old tracks in new ways would be even better.

Thank you for reading.

Ability for double Dash mode. I found double Dash to be one of my favorites because of the ability to change racers. This will probably be a huge challenge for balancing purposes. Other than that, more races, courses and maybe a story mode?

More customization options for characters like the mobile game and single player mode with challenges

I'd love to see Double Dash return as like a third option alongside single person karts and motorcycles, because I really enjoyed the coop aspects of it. Was the reason I even ended up buying three additional controllers for my Gamecube.

Back
Top Bottom