• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion What are your thoughts on the graphics of Pokemon Legends: Arceus?

Thoughts on the graphics

• Love it

Votes: 21 14.7%
  • Could be better

Votes: 81 56.6%
  • Dont care

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Hate it

Votes: 14 9.8%

• Total voters

lemonfresh

#Team2024
Pronouns
He/Him
Hey Fami, so the graphics of the new open world Pokémon game is pretty contentious some people saying they not good enough for a late gen switch game and some are disappointed. Personally I don't care too much about graphics as long as the game plays well but what are your thoughts on the whole discussion?

legends-arceus.jpg

h2d5pZCdjsxTPDmHfirsvg.jpg

I don't think it's technically bad per se going by the visuals, buuut I personally don't like how it looks. Something about it makes it look dead/uncanny to me.

Not great but I'm more concerned with performance. If the game loads and runs smoothly I'll probably be happy with it. I'm concerned that the game will chug along or the menus and loading will make it feel tedious. I wish Pokemon games were quicker and more snappy, if that makes sense.

I love the visuals, it's been one of the most appealing aspects since the game was announced. I love a game with a strong art style and I think it's kinda striking.

Voted 'Hate,' but maybe "Could be a lot better" would be more accurate. It's a mixture of the lackluster graphics and extremely bland world design; the environments feel more like place holders during a pre-alpha test. Of course, this is based on limited footage and a handful of screenshots, so it's possible the game has a lot more interesting locations and visual design.

Its much more advanced than sword/shield,but the change to large maps diluted the advancements, so it looks kind of worse

Could be better, but it's not to the point where it will detract from my enjoyment of the game.

I think they look very rough but at this point with Pokemon, I’m so far beyond bothering to worry about.

The games could and probably should look like Dragon Quest XI or something, but since there’s literally no incentive for them to put the resources into it, they just won’t. It’s just something I’ve accepted now.

It looks adequate but not amazing. I can deal so long as performance isn't in the gutter though.

No exaggeration, it looks horrible. There is no excuse for a Pokemon game from a developer of that size to look that bad. Visually, it looks like one of those fan-made tribute Pokémon games honestly.

Put the time and care in, it pays off.

giphy.webp

Last edited:
GF is very slowly but surely getting there. the games are heavily carried by art direction. maybe with Gen 9 we can get some actual dynamic lighting

I think it looks legitimately awful, worse than BDSP to me somehow. It's low fidelity but it also lacks "soul" to me, looks very dead and lifeless. I do think it has pretty skyboxes and the fact it looks a bit like a painting is cute but then you see the Pokemon waddle around and it clashes with the general look so badly. Do we know if Pokemon can interact with the world any? IE drink from lakes, sit on tree branches?

Last edited:
Game freak have always been pretty crap, gen 1 had stat increasing moves that actually decreased them lol, and we all know the time Iwata wandered in and added Kanto to gold and silver because they coding it so poorly so it's no surprise but it looks like they focus tested for "what's the bear minimum people will tolerate" and then that's what we get.

I'm not expecting it to look like the next Horizon but it should be looking a year or 2 better than BOTW not worse.

Art direction is fine but I suspect it is that way to hide the blurriness of the resolution the game is running.

I feel like there should be an option between "I love it" and "could be better" lol

I like the graphics, they are colorful, cohesive, and have a lot of personality.

Art direction is cool.

On the technical aspect is really bad, but honestly this is predictable being Game Freak, so it's not surprising.

I am the only one that thinks old 2D Pokemon games look great for their time even being poor on the graphical side?

They're fine. The Diamond and Pearl remakes are the real culprits of looking weirdly low budget for marquee entries in a megafranchise.

I also think it's pretty obvious that this is just gonna be a one-off thing at this point. I was more concerned that this was going to be a failed attempt at a Pokemon BotW-esque moment that tries to transform the series into this big open world thing and doesn't really work, partially for budget reasons and partially because open world Pokemon isn't actually that fun. But a more Monster Hunter-esque game sounds fine.

Lazy dev rhetoric already in action lol.

It looks fine for a game with hundreds of models and thousands of animations made by a developer without a lot of HD experience.

It's kinda inconsistent. Some parts look quite good, others look quite bad.

Kinda wish they had committed harder on the artstyle, the game could've been a real looker if they went all in on the watercolor aesthetic (but probably would've made it a lot harder to develop)

As usual with Pokémon, art direction is great, and I love it. From a technical standpoint it could stand to look way better.

Taken as a whole, I still like it, but it's hard not to be disappointed about how it could be truly great.

I really like them, though "love it" might be a bit strong.

The skyboxes and lighting save the look for me

Agreed. I love the art direction and art style, tho I voted "could be better" since I think the execution is lacking. Regardless, I'm just so happy that they're taking a step forward... so: I love it, it could be better, but I don't care.

They're fine. The Diamond and Pearl remakes are the real culprits of looking weirdly low budget for marquee entries in a megafranchise.

I also think it's pretty obvious that this is just gonna be a one-off thing at this point. I was more concerned that this was going to be a failed attempt at a Pokemon BotW-esque moment that tries to transform the series into this big open world thing and doesn't really work, partially for budget reasons and partially because open world Pokemon isn't actually that fun. But a more Monster Hunter-esque game sounds fine.

I think rather than one-off, it'll be its own continuous series if successful. Think MH Stories vs Mainline, but reversed

Could be worse. I actually like the art direction they are going for and I think it would look great if they would have achieved it technically.

With the January release date and skipping the Holiday season one would hope this game wasn't rushed in anyway.

I'd love to see more time put into it. So far the game graphically looks like a 3DS Monster Hunter game. And that's being far too generous.

It's still a step in the right direction.

Much like SwSh, there’s something about it where the models, geometry and environment don’t seem to mesh all that well in terms of color and lighting.

it's underwhelming

the direction is very good, and the creature design is top notch, but the models are... lacking and on the technical side it doesn't seem to be coming together

Don't really care to be honest. I just want to go and catch some cute Pokemon!

Very excited for the reveal of Hisuian Slowpoke, AKA Samurpoke.

It has the same problem as SwSh dis of having great looking character and pokemon models but awful looking environments, most obvious in the Wild Area. The move to a more open world design ends up making the clash even more apparent in Legends. That said I wouldn't say it overly bothers me too much. Gameplay wise it still looks like it'll at least be a pretty interesting change of pace and at the end of the that's what matters most to me.

I think it could look a LOT better. I voted “hate it” because there are some small things that if they fixed would make the game look better (like the tree shading and some of the texture qualities).

Embarrassing

A major Nintendo franchise should not look like that in 2022. Switch games that will sell a tiny fraction of what Legends will are running circles around these visuals. It's pathetic.

Last edited:
People keep mentioning Monster Hunter but this can't be like monster hunter even if they've segmented regions to go off and find the big bad pokemon,

A pokemon battle is not a monster hunter battle. It takes time and skill to learn patterns and get gear to take down a Dalamadur, it takes bubblebeam to take down a Kleavor

The art style is fantastic. Graphical fidelity isn't really there, but I've never cared about that, and if you're playing Pokemon for the graphics (post switch to 3D) you're never going to be happy.

I personally love it, even though there are some things they could reasonably fix like the grass textures or the pine tree looking weird in the distance.

But man, when it works it really pops off beautifully to me

FF8DD09E-8D89-43AE-89D4-1104D4DC6657.jpg

Anyways this is what Monster Hunter looks like on the 3DS since I’ve already seen certain comments here.

monster_hunter_4-14.jpg

Last edited:
I don't like how it looks tbh. I feel like there's a lot of elements in it that clash with one another and overall seems inconsistent. Such as in the lighting and saturation and the environments appear rather barren as well. I'm sure they'll improve more as we approach launch but as of right now the game hasn't sold me on its visuals.

Can't really agree at all with the view that it resembles watercolor. As big as a pain in the butt doing watercolor paintings are, this definitely doesn't give me the impression that it resembles that or how the colors flow and bleed into their surroundings.

I was willing to accept them since at first it seemed like some sort of open world.

After recent interviews, they have no excuse now and the look became much worse to me.

I think the style is alright but the fidelity is pretty bad by Switch standards, even if we're solely looking at open world / open environment games, like TLoZ: BotW, SMO, MHR, etc.

I can tolerate it alright but it is a bit of a sore spot I have with the game. If the rest of the game ends up being great, I won't think about it too much. But, won't lie, I will expect the next game to look better, at least like how P:S&M looks better than P:X&Y

Could stand to look significantly better.

I don't care.
First posts, etc

I like the artstyle. The graphics themselves could be better. I’m hyped as hell about the game because i think it’s gonna be amazing. Middling graphics don’t bother me.

I can kinda see what they're going for, but it's just not coming together in all the footage they've shown so far. The environments and lighting could use a lot of work.

Back
Top Bottom