• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

PlayStation What are your favourite games that remain exclusive to the PlayStation 3?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2484
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2484

Post games you love, or that you find especially interesting, that are still trapped on the PS3.

The first that spring to mind for me are:

maxresdefault.jpg

Heavenly Sword (Ninja Theory, 2007)

2532104-folklore.inlay.pal.ps3.scan-300dpi.jpg

Folklore (Game Republic, 2007)

28495dcbd854d6934b9a16acdb7548a1.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Kojima Productions, 2008)

5c5bbe5fec5af08592f03045a9c009a0.png

Drakengard 3 (Access Games, 2013)

TOKYO-JUNGLE1.jpg

Tokyo Jungle (Crispys!, 2012)

Games available via PlayStation Now still count, because PlayStation Now isn't worth my time or yours.

Off the top of my head, Final Fantasy XIII and the original LittleBigPlanet.
The XIII trilogy is available on Xbox backwards compatibility. They all look great too! They were always lookers, but damn.
Ratchet & Clank: ACiT is absolutely magnificent. All of the ps3 games rock but that one really goes all the way. Shout out to Puppeter and 3d dot heroes too!
Ah man, I can't believe I forgot A Crack in Time! I was a latecomer to the series, and only got around to this one during lockdown and it blew my mind. The lack of a re-release is a crime!

The XIII trilogy is available on Xbox backwards compatibility. They all look great too! They were always lookers, but damn.

Ah man, I can't believe I forgot A Crack in Time! I was a latecomer to the series, and only got around to this one during lockdown and it blew my mind. The lack of a re-release is a crime!

Oh yeah, that’s right. They’re on steam too. Sorry, I just replied without thinking, haha.

Ratchet & Clank: ACiT is absolutely magnificent. All of the ps3 games rock but that one really goes all the way. Shout out to Puppeter and 3d dot heroes too!

This is a game I'd love to replay. Back when I played it around the time it came out, I absolutely adored it.

It's fucking wild to me that a game as big as Metal Gear Solid 4 hasn't been remastered for PS, Xbox, and PC yet. But it is Konami I guess.

These need to be brought to modern consoles. Not the best Tales games around but some of the most entertaining skits in the whole series:

Tales_of_Xillia_Cover.png
Tales_of_Xillia_2.png

Come on Namco. Pack them into one collection and remaster for Switch (and other consoles).

I wouldn't call it anywhere near my favorite, even if I have a completely undeserved fondness, but can you believe they never ported the White Knight Chronicles games off PS3? Actually yeah it's extremely believable.

More seriously, Tokyo Jungle is one that makes me really sad never showed up anywhere else. It's such a unique game :(

Would be nice to see Tales of Graces f (and I suppose Xillia 1&2) get freed from it at some point. Although I bounced off of the Xillia entries pretty hard, Graces f was charming in it's own way. Plus it has been a convenient excuse to revisit some of the previous titles on Steam as they get updated releases.

I wouldn't call it anywhere near my favorite, even if I have a completely undeserved fondness, but can you believe they never ported the White Knight Chronicles games off PS3? Actually yeah it's extremely believable.

More seriously, Tokyo Jungle is one that makes me really sad never showed up anywhere else. It's such a unique game :(
It's actually believable, White Knight Chronicles is a Sony IP and the only place it could get ported was PS4. Sony hasn't been much into remastering PS3 titles for PS4, The Last of Us, Uncharted Trilogy and God of War 3 were the only titles that had been brought to PS4.

MGS4 being stuck on the PS3 is really weird to me, but apparently it's hard to port or something?

Puppeteer is a fun and charming game that showed up late in the PS3 life and was totally overshadowed by PS4 hype. Such a shame. And of course, all those new PS4s didn't play PS3 games. They should have pulled a LBP3 and released a PS4 version.

Also: Tokyo Jungle. And Echochrome. I miss weird Sony.

Havenly Sword, Folklore and especially White Knight Chronicles. I loved that game, the multiplayer too. You could visit other people's gardens and stuff from what I can remember.

It's actually believable, White Knight Chronicles is a Sony IP and the only place it could get ported was PS4. Sony hasn't been much into remastering PS3 titles for PS4, The Last of Us, Uncharted Trilogy and God of War 3 were the only titles that had been brought to PS4.
Yeah, that's what I was saying, I think you might have misread me? It doesn't help that there's been fairly few Sony IP ports to begin with, but on top of that WKC had pretty bad reception on account of being an overall mediocre game. That and I assume they wouldn't want the headache of either editing the multiplayer out or having to set up a server for it all over again.

Havenly Sword, Folklore and especially White Knight Chronicles. I loved that game, the multiplayer too. You could visit other people's gardens and stuff from what I can remember.
As much as the rest of that game mostly made an impression on me for the wrong reasons, I'm still sad the multiplayer was only up for a short amount of time :( Visiting towns was neat even if the multiplayer content was really badly balanced

As much as the rest of that game mostly made an impression on me for the wrong reasons, I'm still sad the multiplayer was only up for a short amount of time :( Visiting towns was neat even if the multiplayer content was really badly balanced
Yeah, that balance was off. And the rest of the game was so much cliché RPG-fare that it kinda felt like sarcastic criticism of the genre lol. I also heard that White Knight Chronicles 2 is kind of a reboot of 1, not sure how that works though.

Yeah, that's what I was saying, I think you might have misread me? It doesn't help that there's been fairly few Sony IP ports to begin with, but on top of that WKC had pretty bad reception on account of being an overall mediocre game. That and I assume they wouldn't want the headache of either editing the multiplayer out or having to set up a server for it all over again.
Oh sorry about that. I thought you were being sarcastic about how it's believable that a meh JRPG like WKC didn't get a port. I believe they were low quality as L5 was too focused on Dragon Quest IX and Ni No Kuni respectively back then.

Take a wild guess.

Honestly, other than Drakengard 3, I don't have strong feelings about what's still exclusive to the system. There's the original version of Demon's Souls, Siren: Blood Curse, Katamari Forever, and the Ico + SotC HD remasters, but not much else for me.

I've always been curious about the House of the Dead 4 port and the PS3 version of E.X. Troopers, but I have yet to play either of them.

Yeah, that balance was off. And the rest of the game was so much cliché RPG-fare that it kinda felt like sarcastic criticism of the genre lol. I also heard that White Knight Chronicles 2 is kind of a reboot of 1, not sure how that works though.
WKC2 included the first game's campaign on the disc, and basically added the second half of the story. They were supposed to come out as a single game but they had to rush the first game out the door because they were super behind on development. So the second game came out later, and included the first on the disc (with the second game's marginally improved battle system, so the disc for the first game basically became a paperweight), and something like... I want to say a good 70% or so of WKC2 is backtracking in WKC1 areas. It was a mess haha.

Oh sorry about that. I thought you were being sarcastic about how it's believable that a meh JRPG like WKC didn't get a port. I believe they were low quality as L5 was too focused on Dragon Quest IX and Ni No Kuni respectively back then.
Yeah, it's definitely Level-5's worst work, which was really surprising to me because they're usually super consistent in making solid 7-8/10 games that don't blow anything out of the water but are always at least pretty good? And WKC is just a fascinating mess.

3D Dot Heroes, can't believe I forgot about that. Siren Blood Curse too. There's quite a lot of good games on PS3 come to think about it.

Tokyo Jungle is the one that immediately comes to mind. Does House of the Dead 4 count? That's another good one. I got two Move controllers and the gun attachments back when they were dirt cheap on clearance and had a lot of fun with HOTD4 (and a bunch of the other light gun games on PS3). I've never played the arcade version so I can't speak to the faithfulness of the port but I enjoyed it.

Infamous 1 and 2 for sure, I would buy a remastered collection of those two in a second.

On the Sucker Punch train as well, would love to be able to play the HD Sly Collection outside of PS3 as well.

For first party games, I’d love to have the Uncharted 3 co-op campaign return again. It’s gamey as all heck which made it so good. Bringing back all of the Infamous games back would be cool too.

For third party games I’d want Switch ports of, Asura’s Wrath is the big one. IIRC it’s backwards compatible on Xbox, but it is criminal that Capcom hasn’t brought back one of their absolute best games of all time. Make a definitive edition with all of the DLC included.

I’d also love to see Tales of Graces F and the two Xillia games come to Switch. The latter are solid, but Graces F has the best battle system in the series and got nowhere near the love it should have. Finally I’d also love a Switch port of Aquapazza. I don’t know anyone who played it, but that was a fun fighting game with a small roster.

There aren't a lot that are truly PS3 exclusive (three that come to mind are Lair, Demons Souls, and Aquanaut's Holiday), but there are lots of great 360/PS3 games that never made it to PC for one reason or another and aren't backwards compatible.

I imported a lot of ps3 games from Asia and the US.

Ryu Ga Gotoku: Kenzan! Is my top choice. The Yakuza cameos in ancient Japan was so much fun.

Then I loved Tokyo Jungle, Aquanauts Holiday, Afrika, White Knight Chronicles (I was so surprised to see it mentioned here), Motorstorm 2, Sengoku Basara 4 (it felt better to play than dynasty warriors), Way of the Samurai 3 (huge replay value and lovable jank) and 3d dot game heroes (that sword size).

I need to get ps3 emulation working one day, as I don’t have a ps3 anymore, but I miss playing these games :)

Infamous is my favorite first-party Sony franchise and it kills me that 1, 2, and Festival of Blood are all locked to PS3. I'd be so excited to see them get even simple upscales as rereleases.

Glad to see people mentioning 3D Dot Game Heroes, love that game. WKC I've tried but I really wasn't jiving with the idea of playing a bystander in a story-driven RPG (I think it can work, but I wasn't feeling it in this). Never played Folklore, but it looks interesting as all hell and Puppeteer was a fun little platformer. NIS has some games stuck on the system as well, Disgaea D2 was already mentioned, but I'd also mention The Guided Fate Paradox and The Awakened Fate Ultimatum, two Mystery Dungeon-inspired roguelikes with character design by Haruhi Suzumiya illustrator Noiji Ito that somehow never got any ports despite being a solid idea for a handheld title. Tales of Graces and Xillia can stay on the system though, these are low points for the series as far as I'm concerned.

Also I want Ar tonelico (not just Qoga, but the entire series) on modern systems, as well as Tears to Tiara I & II, all five of these are stuck on old systems (At I & II on PS2, AtQ and TtT II on PS3)with the exception of the R-18 version of TtT I. Hope it happens one day, both Gust and Aquaplus have shown some amount of port-happiness...

And we shan't forget the game that rescued 'jRPG' from the brink of irrelevance... Time & Eternity. ;)

There aren't a lot that are truly PS3 exclusive (three that come to mind are Lair, Demons Souls, and Aquanaut's Holiday), but there are lots of great 360/PS3 games that never made it to PC for one reason or another and aren't backwards compatible.

I'd say Drakengard 3 is one, but I also want to bring up Demon's Souls! I actually played through it on PS3 last week. Loved it, and one of the things I love about it most is the low budget From Soft vibe, before they became as big as they are now. That's something that seems to be completely lost in the PS5 remake (which was made without involvement from From, IIRC). PS3 remains the definitive experience!

Folklore and 3D Dot Game Heroes are great picks that I don't think have much of a chance of seeing ports/remasters. I think the former is a dead and buried first party release for Sony. And 3D Dot Game Heroes might not ever see the light of day again because From Software would probably need to contract a new developer to do the port and they seem busy expanding the Souls series to more IPs these days. Though the chances aren't as low as they are for Folklore to return.

I think Infamous and Tales are good choices too, and I think they have a much higher chance of seeing ports/remasters to modern systems. Infamous because Sony will find someone to return to this brand, whether or not it's Sucker Punch. And the Tales games will inevitably see more releases, after the success of Arise it's just a matter of time now.

There are some other great picks here I wouldn't mind seeing as well, but I think majority of the other games I want to see most aren't exclusive. I guess Katamari Forever would be cool? But really I just want to see more Katamari and it'd make more sense to port over the PS2 exclusive sequel We Love Katamari.

I thought Sly 4 was pretty cool. I know it is on Vita, but…ya know…put it on PS5 ya dummies.

NIS has some games stuck on the system as well, Disgaea D2 was already mentioned, but I'd also mention The Guided Fate Paradox and The Awakened Fate Ultimatum, two Mystery Dungeon-inspired roguelikes with character design by Haruhi Suzumiya illustrator Noiji Ito that somehow never got any ports despite being a solid idea for a handheld title.
Oh my god I somehow forgot to mention The Guided Fate Paradox and its sequel despite talking about those the other day. I still need to get around to the sequel, the first was a really really fun game to play despite the inconsistent difficulty curve, they both would make for such good titles to get slightly improved ports of...

Eternal Sonata is still stuck on PS3/360.

The premise of that game was so unique, it deserves a remaster for sure.
God yeah for real, it's definitely up there as one of my favorite JRPGs. Do we know if the 360 version backwards-compatible on the new consoles at least or not even?

Tokyo Jungle was named already;

Other games still stuck there is the only Team Ico game I enjoyed… being Ico. The Transformers games (War and Fall), Metal Gear Rising etc.

Yeah the later have PC versions but still

LittleBigPlanet 2 - Really fun campaign that they sadly couldn't live up to with the sequel.
Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time - I haven't played Rift Apart yet, but at least before that game, they still weren't able to top ACiT as the best in the series.
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - Okay this is on Vita as well, but it might be the most fun I ever had on the PS3. That's how much I enjoyed it.

It's technically not "exclusive," but the PS3 version of Eternal Sonata, which has many updates and extras that make it much better than rhe 360 version, is still stuck on PS3.

It doesn't even have trophies, which makes it ever sadder

Folklore and 3D Dot Game Heroes are great picks that I don't think have much of a chance of seeing ports/remasters. I think the former is a dead and buried first party release for Sony. And 3D Dot Game Heroes might not ever see the light of day again because From Software would probably need to contract a new developer to do the port and they seem busy expanding the Souls series to more IPs these days. Though the chances aren't as low as they are for Folklore to return.
FYI the old gamedev team at Silicon Studio has reformed as Claytechworks. They made Bravely Default II.

FYI the old gamedev team at Silicon Studio has reformed as Claytechworks. They made Bravely Default II.
I'm aware of them, though I don't think much of the 3D Dot Game Heroes staff is there. It's the Bravely team that made that studio.

Last edited:
I'm aware of them, though I don't think much of the 3D Dot Game Heroes staff is there. It's the Bravely team that made that studio.
It's the same team, they weren't that large. Some of the 3DDGH leads left but so did some of the Bravely leads too.

It's the same team, they weren't that large. Some of the 3DDGH leads left but so did some of the Bravely leads too.
I took a look at the credits for BD2 and there was basically 1 person who worked on 3DDGH, while many of the leads who worked on Bravely are there. So I definitely wouldn't call it the same "team" in that respect. I'm not sure if they left Silicon Studio or were working for a different part, since they are a big company and this was just one part of it. But it's pretty clear that it was many who worked on Bravely who wanted to continue doing so and formed Claytechworks.

Edit: Also feel free to DM me if you wish to continue this conversation since I think we've veered into fairly off topic territory. I'd like to apologize for that.

Last edited:
I am so happy reading about all of this love for Folklore. I hope more people get to experience it one day.

220px-MAG_%28video_game%29.jpg

As for stuff not mentioned, I will go with MAG. It was my favorite FPS game of that gen. I had so much fun playing Acquisition for months on end. There were some great memories holding down C at the last minute. Domination was a beautiful mess of 256 people at one time. I would still be playing that game today if the servers were online.

RIP Zipper.

Oh yeah, and while available on PC and on Xbox via BC it’s a shame that PlayStation only gamers have no modern way to play Metal Gear Rising.

If those articles about Konami getting back into proper console development are true a remaster would be some quick, easy money.

All the Resistance games, but Resistance 3 in particular for sure. Fantastic campaign and some top-tier boxart.

Resistance-3-PS3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom