• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club What are your favorite indie games on Switch (that AREN'T these titles)?

Magic-Man

Perseus Jackson
Pronouns
He/Him
Basically I'm looking for indie games that aren't incredibly well known, because this thread would be boring otherwise. These games cannot be:
  • Stardew Valley
  • Hades
  • Hollow Knight
  • Ori 1/2
  • Celeste
  • Undertale/Deltarune
  • Disco Elysium
  • Cuphead
  • Subnautica
  • Cadence of Hyrule
  • Untitled Goose Game
  • Terraria
Let's see what y'all come up with!

Quoted by: SiG
Gnosia.

A Visual Novel with Mafia/Werewolf gameplay elements and an incredibly charming cast of characters.

Toree 3D and Toree 2

A delightful little series so far imo. Short games but also very reasonably priced.

Baba Is You, A Monster’s Expedition, Paradise Killer and Ikenfell were all a lot of fun, really liked If Found as well.

Slay the Spire and Monster Train!

Tho I personally Find Slay the Spire to be much better. A little more depth, some cool modifications you can do to mess around and much more appealing Visually

Gnosia is pretty cool. But then novelty can die off before you get full satisfaction.

Slay The Spire tho 🥳

(Monster train and Slay the Spire both have such forgettable soundtracks tho lol)

CrossCode - because I'm contractually obligated to mention this game whenever possible, because it's a freakin' masterpiece and why don't people talk about it more dammit

Monster Sanctuary - decent Metroidvania, really good turn based combat system

Bug Fables - No I'm not one of those TTYD fans (haven't even played it), it's just a really good game

The Messenger - because Sea of Stars seems to be getting a lot of attention today, Sabotage's first game is probably worth a look. Really solid Metroidvania/action platformer, fun story and characters, pretty hilarious at times, and by god that soundtrack is a banger. Honestly, Mitsuda isn't even necessary for y'all to be excited for Sea of Stars' soundtrack, Eric Brown (Sabotage's composer for both their games) is just really that good

Totally forgot to add The Messenger, what am I even doing, smh.

Golf Story or VA11-Hall A probably, but those are also fairly well known.

Pumpkin Jack really shocked me with how great it was. Felt like a higher budget 3D platformer and it was a real deal. One of the best indies I've played on Switch and I really want a sequel.

These all have less than a thousand reviews on steam, so I hope they fit. Mostly narrative heavy so i won't spoil any of the points.
  • If found - a short visual novel where you erase journal entries to advance through scenes
  • Umurangi Generation - a photography game with a great soundtrack
  • Wide Ocean Big Jacket - a camping trip
A Short Hike's already been mentioned, one of my favorite games from 2019.

I'd also say Touhou Luna Nights for a solid metroidvania. Went in with no knowledge of Touhou and was still pretty fun.

Last edited:
Honestly a ton, but I'll stick with these as I don't think they've been mentioned yet (and most rarely get mentioned at all)

Wandersong - full of great characters along with a touching story about doing your best even if you're not the 'hero'. More people are paying attention to it now thanks to the dev's newer game Chicory getting a lot of attention

Unavowed - one of two point and click games I've really gelled with over the past few years, this got a Switch release back in the Summer I think. A more serious story with elements of horror and really interesting story

Yoku's Island Express - probably the most popular game in my list, it's just a wonderfully charming pinball platformer

Pix the Cat - An arcade game kind of like Pac-Man where you dive further and further into different levels to rack up a good score against the clock. Fits the 'just one way go' mould.

Alba: A Wildlife Adventure - A game all about finding wildlife while you're on holiday on an island. Very relaxing.

Darkside Detective - the other point and click game I've picked, this one (and its sequel) are much more focused on the jokes and they stick the landing. The second game develops the characters very nicely while still retaining and improving the series comedic edge

Wilmot's Warehouse - very satisfying organise-em-up. Starts of very simple but you're quickly working on tough orders while trying to keep everything organised in whatever way you like as more and more stock arrives.

Seriously though, there are a ton of great under the radar indie titles out there - Detention, Heaven's Vault, Jenny LeClue, Mutazione, Tangle Tower, Hidden Folks... it's an almost endless list

Last edited:
Is Blaster Master Zero an indie? I had a great time with that one. I also enjoyed Blazing Chrome. If Blaster Master doesn't count then I'll say Blazing Chrome. But it's Blaster Master. I need to get the other ones.

trying to name stuff not listed already

the cook serve delicious games
guacamelee games
assault android cactus+
unsighted
battle chef brigade
banner of the maid
cattails
creature in the well
one step from eden
pato box
rain world
shakedown hawaii
transistor
underhero

• Dead Cells
  • The Messenger
  • A Boy and His Blob (haven't played the Switch version yet)

I also had some extra credit which I spend on some Arkanoid indie clones which I forgot the name of. Will report back if games turn out to be crack.

So far Dodgeball Academia is pretty fantastic. Really fun Dodgeball RPG that feels similar to Inazuma 11.

Axiom Verge 1 & 2 are also pretty awesome. Blaster Master Zero 1-3 are all phenomenal.

Monster Boy and The Cursed Kingdom is amazing. One of my favorite games on Switch and of that year.

Another shout out for Paradise Killer. A murder mystery game involving God's and the end of worlds. Honestly, I've never played anything quite like it.

Please, for the love of Hades, if you like action games with unique mechanics and classic Castlevania games, pick up Touhou Luna Nights. I'm not a Touhou fan but it's one of the best 2D Sidescrolling Action games ever, in my opinion.

I don't think these have been mentioned yet:

Lonely Mountains Downhill
Dicey Dungeons
Voxelgram
Deemo
Voez

Love Gnosia and Paradise Killer! And Slay the Spire is a must.

In terms of stuff not mentioned yet or in the OP:

Return of the Obra Dinn is a fantastic mystery game, very stylish and moody with good sound design and an unsettling atmosphere.

Littlewood is a very cosy town builder slash social sim slash dungeon explorer with a card game thrown in too (that I heard the dev wants to use as the basis for a full game). It’s quite relaxing and sweet.

Fell Seal: Arbiter’s Mark is a fantastic turn-based tactics RPG somewhat similar to FFT. Serviceable story with some fun characters, but you can (and should) also make your own characters and explore different class synergies.

Anodyne is sort of like Link’s Awakening except somehow more surreal and with a much looser story. Great music. It also got a sequel which moved towards a low poly PS1 vibe (but still has some 2D LA style dungeons).

Devolver are well known for releasing top quality games but some of their releases have gone under the radar. In particular: Olija, Disc Room, The Red Strings Club.

Astalon Children of the Earth is an excellent metroidvania.

Wintermoor Tactics Club is good for turn based strategy fans.

Unavowed is the best point and click adventure game I've ever played.

Iris and the Giant is a really fun deck building roguelite.

Dadish 1 and 2 are simple but really fun 2D platformers you can often pick up for bargain prices on the eshop.

Dininho Adventures is another. The art style reminds me a bit of Yoshi's Island.

Phoenotopia Awakening is good for any fans of Zelda 2.

It's a popular one, but still fantastic:

6829.jpeg

Two others that I also really enjoyed:

header.jpg

capsule_616x353.jpg

No one have mentioned the Steamworld games yet...? Steamworld Dig 2 and Steamworld Heist (at the very least) are must-play games.

Other great/fantastic games that also don't seem to have been mentioned yet:
Kaze and the Wild Masks - a well-executed DKC clone that does its own thing
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair - another one
Horizon Chase Turbo - Retro arcade racer at a budget price
Bumerang FU, What the Golf?, Towerfall- All these are really super fun (local) multiplayer games
Let's Cook Together - Well-designed multiplayer local co-op game for 2 players. Almost like a mix of Overcooked and Cook, Serve, Delicious!
Star Wars Pinball - Really, really fun pinball tables.
Alwa's Legacy - Super-good retro-style metroidvania.
TOEM - Photo adventure/puzzle
Grindstone - Addictive puzzle game.
Huntdown - This one is reeeally good. Check it out!
Splasher - Great platformer by a former Rayman developer.
The Touryst - A Shinen game.
Gorogoa - Fantastic puzzle experience and art explosion on the big screen.
Murder by Numbers - Ace Attorney meets Picross.

Monster boy and the cursed kingdom is my favortie indie game period

Have some of that music :

They have already been mentioned, but the Blaster Master Zero trilogy and the Messenger are 100% worth your time.

Manifold Garden. Great if you like things trippy. I think it ramped up well too.

Slay the Spire is very close to a perfect game for me. Ignoring very subjective things like the music/art I think it's gameplay is basically flawless.

Into the Breach - An almost perfect strategy game.

Graceful Explosion Machine - Nice side scrolling shmup.

Tumbleseed - Fun roguelike from the early days of the Switch. Very unique control method that feels really good once it clicks.

So far Dodgeball Academia is pretty fantastic. Really fun Dodgeball RPG that feels similar to Inazuma 11.

Axiom Verge 1 & 2 are also pretty awesome. Blaster Master Zero 1-3 are all phenomenal.
I just checked some reviews on Dodgeball Academia. I didn't know this existed and now I must have it!

Everybody, stop what you're doing and play Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair! Or else I'll eat your flippin face off! GRRRRRAAAAHHH!!!!

Back
Top Bottom