• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club What’s the most pretentious first-party Nintendo game?

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
The word “pretentious” in games is often reserved as a jab at a specific niche of indie games that aims for high artistic integrity but might stumble on the way or come off as thinking that they’re more profound than they actually end up being.

Nintendo might feel like they’re as far removed from that word as one can possibly be, but is that so? Is there any first-party Nintendo game that fits the bill?

i pretty much never describe anything as pretentious, and in my experience it's generally only used when someone is unwilling to try to engage with a piece of art or media on its own terms
that said, the answer is obviously:
100_Classic_Book_Collection.jpg

Am I gonna get dogpiled if I say Xenoblade? I don't hate those games or anything, but they do sorta give off this energy of thinking they're more than they really are, y'know?

Or maybe Sin&Punishment? That's one that I sorta felt got narratively up its own ass a bit in a "oh you think you're Evangelion, don't you?" kind of way

fake edit: Wait, I can't remember, did Nintendo publish Twin Snakes? Because if so, that's definitely the real answer

Both are great games but Hotel Dusk and Disaster Day of Crisis have two of very pretentious Nintendo protagonists ever. Both Raymond Bryce and Kyle Hyde try so hard to be white American "grizzled vets" type that you see in other American made games. It kinda works for Kyle, at times.

Am I gonna get dogpiled if I say Xenoblade? I don't hate those games or anything, but they do sorta give off this energy of thinking they're more than they really are, y'know?
Yeah, I had that feeling about 3. Its plot is grand forever war but it's pretty much just bog-standard anime stuff. Kinda feel like if you go for a fascist society you need to go hard or go home.

Also agreed with Other M. From the Bottle Ship to... hell, just the name of the game, Sakamoto really didn't know what symbolism is, so the game is filled with meaningless references to The Baby while it completely forgets to tell actual story (iirc this Samus prequel story doesn't actually tell you Ridley killed her parents!!)

I liked what I played of it, but maybe Astral Chain? The story just seemed a bit out there for the sake of out there with standard sci-fi critiques on human nature and morality.

Oh, this is an interesting question actually...

I think answering Other M definitely makes sense. Part of why that game stumbles so badly is directly related to how "elevated" the story tries to be (and fails) from previous titles.

Eternal Darkess kind of feels pretentious to me, too? I like Eternal Darkness, but the story always felt kind of flat to me and I think the intent was for it to be more impactful than it is. Maybe that's not fair, I haven't played it in a few years and I also hate cosmic horror specifically so that very well could be the reason why. Curious if anyone else picked up on that from playing it.

A pretentious game, to me, is something like BioShock, which tries to land a set of themes that are rather unconventional for video games through its narrative and draw comparisons to heavily obscure works and characters; also, said attempt is very, very elaborate (Rapture and Columbia, BioShock's settings, for example). Whether it lands or not is another story.

No Xenoblade game or Astral Chain fit that critera for me. 3 might have given that impression in the promotional material but it's pretty light from the very beginning, and Astral Chain clearly just "wants" to be an action game.

In fact, no Nintendo game really goes that far.

Honestly it was really weird when Bowser started ranting about the tyranny of the majority in democracy and establishing his own autonomous monarchist state after citing Hobbes in Super Mario 3D World. I get what they were going for and everything, but I think they bit off more than they can chew.

SI_3DS_Nintendo3DSGuideLouvre_image1600w.jpg

The answer is easily Nintendo 3DS Guide: Louvre, because its entire existence is tied to something more pretentious than any Nintendo game could possibly be.

Honestly it was really weird when Bowser started ranting about the tyranny of the majority in democracy and establishing his own autonomous monarchist state after citing Hobbes in Super Mario 3D World. I get what they were going for and everything, but I think they bit off more than they can chew.
I hear you. Especially when the Sprixie Kingdom fairies explained the clear pipes were inspired by Foucault's principle of discontinuity.

Oh yeah, it's got to be Other M. So much poorly-executed symbolism and cinematic ambition.

Super Mario Galaxy, the first one, is probably also up there? The contrast between it having functionally the exact same plot as every other Mario game but being presented with such incredible pomp and circumstance is amazing. It's simultaneously a Mario game and not actually trying very hard to be anything else, and also after the final boss fight there's an elaborate 5 minute sequence in which Bowser stumbles to his knees and mourns his fallen empire from a dying star, and Mario witnesses the death and rebirth of the universe as explained to him by a giant woman while the sounds of babies crying echoes through the void.

Maybe Star Fox Zero due to the control scheme? I get they wanted to be clever with the GamePad but to me it ended up not being fun.

How is an art museum pretentious????
How isn’t a popular “fine art” museum pretentious (among other things—*coughstolenartcough*)?? lol It’s an elaborate fancy-ass display created to celebrate mostly arbitrarily designated “best” works of art, is it not?

Last edited:
I guess I'll echo others in this thread and say Metroid: Other M. Like, the setup is that the space pirates are no longer a thing because the events of Super well and truly killed off, if not all the Space Pirates, then a good chunk of them alongside their entire leadership structure. Accomplishing that was the foundation for why Samus became the galactic warrior she is, so Other M is about Samus asking herself "well... now what?" and figuring out what to do with herself. Something she ends up accomplishing by re-connecting with her past, both literally and figuratively. On paper, it sounds like the perfect plot outline for a title that truly explores what makes Samus Aran tick, allowing the player to learn who Samus is at the same time she's effectively doing the same. It's brilliant, really.

...But then Sakamato proceeded to actually try writing such a story and whiffed it. He whiffed it so bad, and it makes me sad.

How isn’t a popular “fine art” museum pretentious (among other things—coughstolenartcough)?? lol It’s an elaborate fancy-ass display created to celebrate mostly arbitrarily designated “best” works of art, is it not?

i love video game message boards bro you cant get this shit anywhere else lmao

A friend of mine also hates Kojima and Takahashi, he thinks Kojima and Takahashi are one in the same, and likes to cram a lot of movie style (Takahashi is Japanese animation style) performances into their games, stating that I'm here to play the game not come to see the movie!🤣, but I'm okay with that, but in terms of the most typical Nintendo philosophy (gameplay first), Takahashi and Kojima are indeed overly cinematic.

i love video game message boards bro you cant get this shit anywhere else lmao
Excuse me?? lol You’re acting as if what I’ve said isn’t a relatively common sentiment, which I know it is, and similar criticism of big art museums is definitely a thing. I can’t even walk into a relatively big art museum myself without being put off from how pretentious it feels, personally. That’s not to say that all art museums are completely pretentious in every way or anything like that, but, like…c’mon.

It's Super Paper Mario

It's such a weird creative flex that feels like fan fiction at times and forgets it's place as a spinoff in the Mario series of all things.

Excuse me?? lol You’re acting as if what I’ve said isn’t a relatively common sentiment, which I know it is, and similar criticism of big art museums is definitely a thing. I can’t even walk into a relatively big art museum myself without being put off from how pretentious it feels, personally. That’s not to say that all art museums are completely pretentious in every way or anything like that, but, like…c’mon.

youll have to excuse me for finding it funny that some person posting on a forum for children's video games is gonna be like LOL MORE LIKE THE MONA LOSER AM I RITE

you can levy plenty of critiques at art museums housing art thats culturally significant to other cultures that they have no business having but calling collections of artistic human achievement pretentious is wild, cousin.

Super Mario Galaxy got a Jacob Geller video made about it:

There's really no other option at this point.

Seriously though Mario Galaxy genuinely did have the best of vibes that puts it a level above most of Nintendo's output, and I don't care if that sounds pretentious. Mario Galaxy 2 removing those things just to replace them with generic jolly Mario stuff was one of the biggest downgrades I've seen between sequels.

Oh, and I kid about Jacob Geller. His essays are incredible, and articulate so much stuff in just the most brilliant of ways. It's just they can be very 'artsy' lol.

All the Art Style games. Like damn Nintendo, like the smell of your own farts much?

Just kidding they're cool games.

Real answer is Super Mario Wonder. And I'm being completely honest there.

Last edited:
youll have to excuse me for finding it funny that some person posting on a forum for children's video games is gonna be like LOL MORE LIKE THE MONA LOSER AM I RITE

you can levy plenty of critiques at art museums housing art thats culturally significant to other cultures that they have no business having but calling collections of artistic human achievement pretentious is wild, cousin.
I never said that—I was not attacking any specific pieces of art, but rather large fine art museums like the Louvre in general. (But for that matter, I also happen to think that the Mona Lisa isn’t quite as special as it’s been made out to be—though that’s totally beside the point here, which is why I never said anything like that before.) And it’s not like I’m saying they’re all terrible and have no value or anything, I’m just saying they’re pretentious. Is that really such a ridiculous claim to make?? I mean, art museums—and fine art enthusiasts who frequent them—having a pretentious vibe is a well established stereotype, for crying out loud! Again, I’m not calling the concept of “collections of artistic human achievement” pretentious—I’m referring to the execution of that concept as seen in many fine art museums. These places are often designed to be far more grandiose and ornate than they need to be, and the fact is that the selection of specific works of art that are featured can be pretty arbitrary. There are plenty of examples of well known artists being propped up and celebrated over lesser known artists of the same period whose works could be regarded to be of similar (if not better!) quality—especially when it comes to modern times—yet those lesser known artists’ works don’t get the same kind of recognition. And who’s to declare which art is “better” or more deserving of being displayed in a museum over others, anyway? As I said, I’m not attacking all museums in their entirety here—and I’m hardly even doing that much, just calling them pretentious—but compare any smaller, community-run art display with a big fancy museum and it’s hard not to see how the latter may come off as pretty pretentious.

Also, please don’t call me your cousin.

Last edited:
Honestly don’t really find many developers to be pretentious about their games, Nintendo or otherwise. If anything, I think fans are the ones that get weirdly pretentious about them.

1, 2 Switch is probably another one. Trying to keep this as in-house Nintendo as possible from my perspective.

Both it and Super Mario Wonder feels the most "hey we're being silly, wacky, and fun!" and then I'm all like 😐, "Nah."

I'm aware Kojima isn't involved in Nintendo first party, thanks.

well maybe now you do, but that doesnt explain your first post in the thread! but hey no big deal, seven people agreed with you so at least you werent alone.

its cool tho, now you know! life really is one long process of learning and growing.
I never said that—I was not attacking any specific pieces of art, but rather large fine art museums like the Louvre in general. (But for that matter, I also happen to think that the Mona Lisa isn’t quite as special as it’s been made out to be—though that’s totally beside the point here, which is why I never said anything like that before.) And it’s not like I’m saying they’re all terrible and have no value or anything, I’m just saying they’re pretentious. Is that really such a ridiculous claim to make?? I mean, art museums—and fine art enthusiasts who frequent them—having a pretentious vibe is a well established stereotype, for crying out loud! Again, I’m not calling the concept of “collections of artistic human achievement” pretentious—I’m referring to the execution of that concept as seen in many fine art museums. These places are often designed to be far more grandiose and ornate than they need to be, and the fact is that the selection of specific works of art that are featured can be pretty arbitrary. There are plenty of examples of well known artists being propped up and celebrated over lesser known artists of the same period whose works could be regarded to be of similar (if not better!) quality—especially when it comes to modern times—yet those lesser known artists’ works don’t get the same kind of recognition. And whose to declare which art is “better” or more deserving of being displayed in a museum over others, anyway? As I said, I’m not attacking all museums in their entirety here—and I’m hardly even doing that much, just calling them pretentious—but compare any smaller, community-run art display with a big fancy museum and it’s hard not to see how the latter may come off as pretty pretentious.

Also, please don’t call me your cousin.

you didnt critique any specific piece of art but you did put scare quotes around "best" works of art, which carries a lot of implications.
It’s an elaborate fancy-ass display created to celebrate mostly arbitrarily designated “best” works of art, is it not?

also you say this

And whose to declare which art is “better” or more deserving of being displayed in a museum over others, anyway?

but immediately before that you say this

There are plenty of examples of well known artists being propped up and celebrated over lesser known artists of the same period whose works could be regarded to be of similar (if not better!) quality—especially when it comes to modern times—yet those lesser known artists’ works don’t get the same kind of recognition

which means you obviously do believe in some kind of metric for measuring the cultural importance or impact of art, you just think you know best lol. perhaps the pretentions were the friends we made along the way

A shallow, obnoxious experience that drains what joy can be had out of it? The only correct answer is Other M. I had a few other games in mind, but I compared them against Other M and realized that there was no comparison.

It's physically impossible for me to be a Kojima hater, dude. How could I. Nobody else is willing to make battles between a rocker that shoots beams with his guitar and a baby that possesses a samurai robot.
...I swear to god that Suda51 has at least two games with those exact characters.

Shame on all you Kojima haters you will regret your words and deeds
I don't actually hate the guy. I'm just bitter that Silent Hills never manifested! ...Which wasn't actually his fault, but y'know. Death Stranding as consolation didn't really seem up my alley. If Kojima makes a straight-up horror game (which it seems is exactly what's finally happening?), I'll probably be there.

I don't actually hate the guy. I'm just bitter that Silent Hills never manifested! ...Which wasn't actually his fault, but y'know. Death Stranding as consolation didn't really seem up my alley. If Kojima makes a straight-up horror game (which it seems is exactly what's finally happening?), I'll probably be there.
R.I.P. PT, we miss it.

I like the post-apocalyptic Amazon simulator, though.

I don’t really find many games ‘pretentious’ at all. Games reference all kinds of pop culture, art, history, philosophy etc, some references are more immediately visable than others, some regarded as more academic than others etc. Whether you find any of them pretentious is usually down to how well it’s implemented in your subjective view. One person’s clever reference is another’s pretentious reach.

Back
Top Bottom