• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Were you ever a Nintendo (or maybe other company) fanboy?

Were you ever a fanboy?

• I was but not anymore

Votes: 41 33.9%
  • I was and still am

Votes: 53 43.8%
  • I was never a fanboy

Votes: 27 22.3%

• Total voters
I believe everyone has “relative” standards.
(Not saying everyone has two faces)
Same thing done by different people gets your different opinions.
Such thing is natural for me.
Princess Peach Showtime got poor performance on Switch and I neglect it.
Does that make me a fanboy?
What if I criticize Dragon’s Dogma performance.
Does that make me a greater fanboy?

While I wouldn't use the term "fanboy", I will say that I was a rather enthusiastic supporter of the Atari Lynx (justified, as it was a terrific piece of kit) and the Atari Jaguar (unjustified, because the architecture was gunk and the Tramiels were horrible managers). "Fanboy" is too strong a word, though, since at that time I also had a Sony PlayStation and a Sega Saturn -- which just goes to show how misguided my judgement was in those years...

Fan != Fanboy

I always been a fan of Nintendo. Grew up with a nes + smb1.
I'm addicted to new things in terms of hw & sw. And i think nintendo is always about creating games with complete new ideas.
If you look for instance on how the mainline marios were evolving, most of them provide something new. Same with Zelda like the wall thing in zelda lbtw.

Thats what i love most. But there are also other reasons.

But it's stupid the say that a 3th party game is bad because of console X.

Fan != Fanboy

I'm addicted to new things in terms of hw & sw. And i think nintendo is always about creating games with complete new ideas.
If you look for instance on how the mainline marios were evolving, most of them provide something new. Same with Zelda like the wall thing in zelda lbtw.

images

Yep. Nintendo has always been my top choice for gaming. They make games I love and I've played on their consoles/handhelds since I was a kid.

Having said that, I don't willfully blind myself to blunders and knucklehead decisions they've made. I criticize as much as I praise.

I also own and enjoy other platforms. PS1, 2, 3, 4 (looking to get a 5 Pro) as well as original Xbox, 360 and XSX.

Most of this forum should be raising their hands.....

I was embarrassingly quite the fanboy during the Wii years, I cringe when I look back, now I game on all three home consoles (Love Playstation, Xbox leaves me cold still) but Nintendo has my heart more than anyone else.
Fanboyism winds me up, I'm too old for that shit :)

I would say i still am somewhat, though i've long graduated to one with enough money to buy other consoles and games, and who also occasionally loves to dunk on them when they're being dumb again.

It's not about being a defender for multi-billion dollar companies(in fact, I think all companies should be owned by the workers), but really about loving their games and the people behind them.

Stuff like Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda Tears of the Kingdom literally saved my life and it's not an exaggeration. I mean, just loving their games would already make people label me a fanboy, so why not just impersonating one, right?

I will always criticize bad decisions, expose wrong things that they do(like the ridiculous pricing here in Brazil) and not act like a robot. But I'm such an enthusiast, I love predicting, speculating, Nintendo Directs are to me what a super bowl final must be for people that are into it, and I really think their games are special and different from the majority of the other big companies. So yeah, I guess you could call me a fanboy.

Used to have some pretty fun conversations when I had a MegaDrive and my best friend at the time had a SNES. I switched to SNES later, but my next console after that was a PS1. So I guess never really a Nintendo fanboy. I am a big fan though.

I will always criticize bad decisions, expose wrong things that they do(like the ridiculous pricing here in Brazil) a

But is that even Nintendo's fault? I mean, go to any latin american country and the prices will also be astronomical. Anything that needs to be exported will fetch a higher price the furthest away it is from the country of origin. Not to mention that most latin american countries don't have an economy as "stable" as the US, EU and Japan and their currency is often worth less than the aforementioned places.

In my country, it's cheaper to buy a game through a freight forwarder than to buy it in a store. Even though you have to account for the currency exchange and pay extra shipping charges, it's still cheaper than a store. It's ridiculous.

Not really. Back in the day I used to engage in playful banter with my high school best friend about which was better between Playstation and Nintendo, but it was just for fun and not console warriory. Like we never fought over it or anything like that. I was on team PS back then lol. Nowadays I'm more into Nintendo because they are just about the only remaining console manufacturer who still regularly puts out games that suit my taste.

I don't really like the term "fanboy" ( why just "boy"?) but if it's a synonym for fan, then definitely yes, maybe even more so now than when I was younger, but I'll try to explain why I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Companies are not our friends and they are not people. It seems obvious, but I think it's important to start with that. Being attached to the editorial line of a newspaper or broadcaster, to the historical legacy of a film studio or book publisher, to the know-how of a car manufacturer or fashion house, etc., is not the same thing as loving a brand as if you were a shareholder.

It's about loving cultural contributions, creative philosophies and, quite simply, of course, the memories and emotions that tie us personally to it. Being a fan of something is always linked to a context, to people, to things you've felt. In this respect, I'd say that I love what Nintendo means to me in much the same way as I love my favorite sports team, and for much the same reasons and based on the same springs. This doesn't mean being closed-minded, hostile or blind.

To tell the truth, liking Nintendo is probably what got me interested in video games in general, and therefore appreciative of other consoles, ever since I can remember. Being very happy with my SNES and Donkey Kong never stopped me from admiring Sonic on Genesis. It's funny, because one of the symbols of the famous "console war" was the opposition between the two Aladdin games released on SNES and Genesis, and my main memory is that I'd go to my neighbour house to play the Megadrive version and he'd come to mine to play the SNES version. They were just two great games.

Of course, the "console war" brought its share of idiocy, toxicity and problems, but I don't think it should be summed up exclusively in these negative aspects. The console wars also had a warm and communal aspect, often allowing for mutually assumed bad faith and therefore conviviality and fun. Assuring my friends that I was completely satisfied with my N64 and being sarcastic about loading times never stopped me from wanting to play ISS Pro Evolution, Crash Bandicoot or Metal Gear. In the same way, my friends who gently mocked the N64 limitations were happy to play Goldeneye, Mario Kart or Mario 64 with me. It was a form of good-natured rivalry, hence my parallel with supporting a sports team, but I was lucky that it was never mean-spirited.

Looking back, however, I realize that game consoles were also often a marker of social class. For a long time, I chose Nintendo consoles because they were cheaper, not just because I loved Nintendo games. It was pragmatic. I remember kids from more affluent families showing off at recess with their Game Gear, or even their Atari Lynx for some, and making fun of our Gameboys. It wasn't about their consoles or ours, it was just a way of saying they had more money, like with clothing and shoe brands. I must admit that the idea of having hours of fun on my old Gameboy with Tetris, Link's Awakening or Mario Land while their super-expensive, backlit consoles had poor battery life and few good games must have solidified my attachment to Nintendo.

So am I a fan? Yes, of course. I love Nintendo's culture, its history, its creators, its philosophy. Do I still sometimes act in bad faith? Yes, perhaps. For example, when I read including in this thread that Nintendo receives excessive praise and sometimes copies others, I can't help but have a "fan" reaction wondering why people remember applause when Nintendo is doing well but not the violent criticism when Nintendo is doing badly? And above all, I don't see when Nintendo has copied anyone. But I'm fully aware that I'm not being entirely objective here.

None of this is definitive, absolute or unconditional, of course. I'll conclude as I began: companies are neither our friends, nor people. The pleasure I take in what Nintendo has achieved with the Switch will never lead me to turn a blind eye, for example, to the scandalous and shameful situation of certain employees at NoA, to Nintendo's obstruction of the right to unionize, to the serious negligence that has led to the high frequency of joy cons drifts, or to the total lack of price cuts or select range of first party games, making them more difficult to access for the greatest number. In the same way, preferring Nintendo and hating what Microsoft stands for doesn't stop me from loving my Series S with the same pragmatism as when I loved buying a PS One or when I completely lost interest in the Wii/DS era. I like games, I like people, I like the spirit of Nintendo. That's what being a "fan" is all about. Nothing more, nothing too much.

Fan != Fanboy

I don‘t know. As soon as you know what FYs are and when they start for Nintendo, can immediately tell if the Direct Voiceover, design, music changed or want to rate directs, it‘s fanboy territory for me. Of course it depends on how you want to define this word and with whom you want to associate it, but you can‘t say that what we are doing here has no obsessive touch at all.

my first forum username was NintendoPie on VGChartz.

- a username with "nintendo" in it.

- on a forum built around sales numbers.

- and i was 12 when i made it.

you do the math.

Can confidently say I was never a fanboy.

I do have a soft spot for Sega though.

I was definitely a keyed-up fanboy from the late Wii U era through the first few years of the Switch's life. I would engage in console warring and defensiveness far more often than I would now.

I'd say I still am a "fanboy" in some ways, but I'm a lot more laid back and casual about everything now.

I post on a Nintendo focused message board, I get excited to set aside a chunk of time out of my day to watch 30-40 minutes of Nintendo advertising a few times a year, and I yearn to give Nintendo hundreds of dollars for a new machine even though there are plenty of games I haven't gotten around to yet on the current machine. But I'm totally not a Nintendo fanboy.

I was the president of the International Association of Wii U Apologists, guys. Still believe the console was fantastic and it was always underlooked (despite the name).

I was a Sega Dreamcast fanboy and still am. So. Many. great. games. I’ll still happily argue about why it was a better system than the PS2. Better colors, smoother gameplay, games without 45 minute cutscenes.

Check out Dead or Alive 2 on Dreamcast vs. PS2 and see how it still looks better than the PS2 and holds up against at PS4 in live gameplay. Compare MDK2 in both systems. Soul Calibur. Crazy Taxi. I’ll take Outrigger over Timesplitters multiplayer. The Dreamcast always plays better and looks more vibrant.

Man, I want to hook up my Dreamcast now.

After the Dreamcast had the plug pulled early, I’ve just never felt like that about a video game system. I just look to see if it has good games I want to play. There is no passion, though, just a box you use to get to Link or Mario or Bayonetta or the Doom Slayer or Contra.

Depends on what level of fanboy we're talking... I know a lot of people who are all about the Nintendo brand and sorta the idea of being a Nintendo diehard, but who aren't like... Nearly as deep in the sauce as I or many on this site are 😂.

--Nintendo creates two of my three favorite franchises (Fire Emblem and Zelda)

--I've purchased every new Nintendo console at launch without fail since the Wii in 2006

--I've finished probably over 90% of the Nintendo-published Switch exclusives

--My first thread on this forum was something along the lines of "Nintendo hate still bums me out sometimes"

--I've finished probably over 30 lovely Nintendo games that came out before my childhood just because I was really interested in seeing how the company evolved over time.

So yeah, probably safe to call me a strong Nintendo fan. But I'm also more fine nowadays with criticisms of their higher ups. In the WiiU era I felt like I really knew Iwata, Reggie, Aonuma and Miyamoto. I know now that I really, really don't. They oversee the creation of some art I love, and I appreciate that!

I was a rabid online Nintendo fangirl for a bit as a teenager, then I got into watching sports where the rabid investment is encouraged, rewarded, and most importantly scheduled, so that part of me that likes to care too much about things gravitated over to shouting at rugby players instead. I think the balance is healthier, once a week on a Saturday clears constantly on the internet any day.

I didn’t start playing non-first party Nintendo games until 2019 so I guess I (still) count lol. Only thing I played up to that point that wasn’t a Nintendo game were Lego games, browser games, and Roblox.

To be fair I have very little interest in PlayStation games not made by Insomniac, and have no interest in anything Microsoft does these days. But I did start getting into series like Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter, so I did eventually pop out of my Nintendo bubble.

When I was in middle school I was a pretty ardent Sony warrior. Whenever people in school dissed the PS3 I got annoyed lol. I used to watch those cringe console warrior videos bashing the Xbox 360 and argued on IGN message boards when I was a teenager. Now I'm just a bog-standard gamer. I love PC, I love Nintendo, I love PlayStation, I never owned an Xbox but if I did I'm sure I'd love that too. Though for all of the brands out there I guess the one I feel the strongest towards is PlayStation with Nintendo pretty much tied, since I grew up with both as a kid. I think whatever console or platform you ended up playing as a kid would end up your favorite no matter what anyway.

I was never so insane of a fan to the point of defending every decision and just coping and acting positive about products that just aren't good, whether that's Nintendo or certain franchises I love. The vaseline smeared visuals of the Wii definitely pushed me to experiment more with other consoles like the 360, and since then I've always had 2 consoles.

Honestly, I think I was.

I wasn’t a blind fanboy, but had my fair share of discussions where I could look back and think “yikes, why did I pour so much energy into that”. I was critical in several aspects though, so that helped.

I am still a fan though. And there is nothing wrong with that particular of label though. In general Nintendo just releases a lot of hardware and especially software which is in line with my tastes.

Yes and no.

Fanboy in the sense that I had little urge to dip into other platforms? Of course.

Fanboy in the sense that I would defend every decision they made? Hell no. especially during Wii u era

Back
Top Bottom