• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Well Fami, I am making the jump from Windows to a MacBook Air

Lozjam

Don't Forget Me
Pronouns
He/Him
Apparently, my wife has gotten me an amazing Christmas gift,

She has got me the Apple M2 Air.

Now, my current computer is actually a surface go 1, with gigs of ram. And it is starting to show its age. Now ever since the M1 came out, and blew everything out of the water in performance and battery. Honestly, there's not a good windows alternative yet. So I am going to keep this device for years down the line, I think it will really make it.

I am a little scared to transition. I don't do any gaming on PC luckily, and am looking to do some light video editing. And of course, my usual music stuff for my job. But I am excited.

Has anyone else made a transition, and what do you think of your MacBook?

I made the transition a few years ago and never looked back. I've got an M1 Air and I can't sing the praises of it enough. The battery life in particular is fucking bonkers.

As someone who does

• zero PC gaming
  • heavy work with audio engineering
  • dev work

Apple Mac / Macbook is a dream

I’ve got an M1 Mac Mini and it literally never runs out of battery!

This is a joke about it being a desktop computer.

The M1 and M2 chips are great. I don’t do a lot of processor-intensive things on my home machine (I remote into a beefier PC for my 3D Animation job) but I DO do some pretty heavy photoshop stuff on occasion and… I feel like I’m in a “post-performance” world. I literally never think about lag, or performance, or how it “feels” or runs. Two 4K monitors and everything, everything, is silky smooth.

There will be some new things to get used to, but the user experience is so fast and smooth that going back to other laptops will feel like jumping back two console generations. Also Mac trackpads are the absolute best.

Enjoy it!

Also have a Mac Mini M1 and that’s a dream! I use quite a lot of Adobe Premiere for work and performance and rendering time is much better than it was on my previous gaming PC. Also the Mac keyboard saves you an incredible amount of time when you write stuff. There’s some things to get used to, Mac OS is a bit less user-friendly than Windows, you’ll have to Google stuff from time to time, but you’ll quickly get the hang of it.

Also, obviously you can’t game like you do on a PC but there’s quite a lot of games that have Mac versions now (I mostly play Cities Skylines and Planet Coaster and both run pretty great). So enjoy !

It takes a while to get used to but once you do I find it’s hard to go back. MacOS is really quirky though if you’ve only used Windows, I would recommend that if you try and do something and realise it’s not supported natively search the web for it because someone has likely made it. For example I use Rectangle for better window management which I think MacOS is lacking by default.

I made the transition two years ago; I don't think I'll ever return to Windows, at least for a laptop. Battery life and performance are amazing, and having a high-end laptop without any fans is a dream come true.

For gaming, Dolphin has a native ARM build, and PCSX2 ARM-based fork AetherSX2 has been ported to macOS. I can run most GC, Wii, and PS2 games quite well on my Air M1 -- I suppose they are butter-smooth on M2. I was also able to play some mid-tier Steam games from the PS360 era with Parallels. RPCS3 has also been recently ported, but I haven't tried it yet.

I used to be a Mac user.

From 2007 to 2014, Macs were my daily drivers, first an iMac, then a MacBook Pro. FWIW, I did love these machines and kept both for a very long time throughout my 20s.

In 2014, I chose to purchase a Windows laptop instead of a new Mac, the ability to play back Blu-rays and the constant frustrations over the failures of the slot-in disc drive (something I care about as I am CD collector and regularly rip my music) as well as serviceability being the main drivers for that particular switch. I kept the MacBook Pro as a secondary device until this spring when I sold it off to help finance my desktop PC build.

I like the OS, but I just am not a fan of the path Apple has taken further away from upgradeability and self-serviceability, something I try to look for in a product. And I just don't use a laptop as much on-the go anymore (though that might change one day or another), plus my rekindled interest in PC gaming has made the new Apple products with the M2 silicone just not attractive for me anymore.

But fuuuck... I do miss MacOS.

Apparently, my wife has gotten me an amazing Christmas gift,

She has got me the Apple M2 Air.

Now, my current computer is actually a surface go 1, with gigs of ram. And it is starting to show its age. Now ever since the M1 came out, and blew everything out of the water in performance and battery. Honestly, there's not a good windows alternative yet. So I am going to keep this device for years down the line, I think it will really make it.

I am a little scared to transition. I don't do any gaming on PC luckily, and am looking to do some light video editing. And of course, my usual music stuff for my job. But I am excited.

Has anyone else made a transition, and what do you think of your MacBook?

I went from a Surface Go to an M1 Air too and it's AMAZING. You won't be disappointed. Your wife is a gem.

Macbooks are the one place where the "Apple tax" is fully justifiable. I can't use anything else.

However I'm still on the 2018 Macbook Pro line because I love the ability to have a full windows install on an external SSD for light gaming and work, and the few edge cases where an app is windows only.

But they're terrific machines.

Most Windows machines are glorified "pieces of junk". They have been this way for 15 years at least. Provided you are not using your computer for major gaming. If not, Mac is the superior machines. I have owned Macs since 1999. I have steadily purchased new mac's every 2-3 years since 1999.

This is the first year, I am actually thinking of replacing my Mac with an iPad Pro, magic keyboard, and pencil. The new iPadOS update has brought new functionality to the trackpad. It almost feels like a MacBook replacement. Currently using an M1 MacBook Air.

Anyone has tried this yet? I would love to know everyones thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom