• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion We really need Nier on Switch.

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
E5hmAyS.jpg

Nier is an amazing franchise. One I personally hold very dear and close to me.

I've always wanted Nier on Switch for many reasons. Nier: Automata is available on a lot of platforms, except Switch. This is understandable in a way, but I don't think it's an impossible thing to ask. I think this would be very beneficial. Automata was an unexpected hit, but I still think it could benefit from an even wider audience.

More than that, people who exclusively only own a Switch is missing one hell of an experience, a thought-provoking tour de force of emotion that I think would make another great port on the system.

The same goes for Nier: Replicant, another fantastic game that could sit well with the system. I know there was data mining that sparked rumors of it coming, and I really hope they mean something.

A thing I've also though about, maybe the most tantalizing idea, is for the Switch to get an exclusive Nier game, in the same vein as Monster Hunter Rise, a game tailor-made for the system. Square has this year been hiring for "New Nier projects". I think that would be so cool.

So yeah, I really think that Nier - any Nier - on Switch is a thing that must happen. We need it. The Switch user base would only benefit from having these amazing experiences available on the system. Is this just pipe dream stuff, and am I alone in feeling this? Or is anyone else also yearning for Nier on Switch to happen?

Nier is awesome and I’d love to see it on Switch. I hope the Replicant rumors/datamine pan out at least. The original is a PS3 game so no reason it shouldn’t be possible. I’m not sure if I’d double dip on either game myself, but I want more of my friends to be able to play them.

Automata already struggled to run on a PS4 so I'm not holding hopes for that to be on Switch. Replicant looks more feasible but that's not the kind of game I'd want to play on Switch anyway.

Quoted by: Yzz
It would be interesting to play a Cloud version of it on the SWOLED in portable mode.
That is actually how I would like to play the game. I have no faith in a native port of either Replicant or Automata. It would look like ass.

Don't tease me with a mock-up like that @Irene ! D: :p

While I didn't particularly love my time with Automata, it's a very flawed but overall still good game in my book, I'd love to see them being on Switch, if only for those folks not being able to play them on another platform or that want that handheld/hybrid experience.

This is Square Enix. We'll probably get Cloud versions on the Switch now. *

*Yes, I'm still bitter about Kingdom Hearts.

I'll pay for the cloud version of Automata. I adored that game, Taro and Platinum caught lightning in a bottle with it.

Both Nier games are two of my favorite games of all time. I'd love to see them reach a wider audience on Switch.

Voice of Cards is coming out on Switch soon so we're gonna have some Yoko Taro goodness before too long anyways.

Can’t imagine it running well on the Switch.

I would buy good ports immediately though. Love Replicant and Automata.

Maybe for Switch 2?

I've come to peace with the fact that will never have Nier on the Switch, and so should you OP. Maybe we could get that new mobile gacha game? I wouldn't mind honestly, even though i hate gacha games.
Nier Automata it's one of my favorite games of all time, and one of the best stories i've experienced in any kind of medium but it's not a optimized game. Ps4 was 900p and sometimes dipped (but it was rare) and on Pc it's even worse; my laptop (i7 from like 4 years ago and 1050 Ti) can play Witcher 3 with better performance and graphics than the PS4, and on Nier Automata i struggle to main 60 fps on a resolution higher than like 1300x800 or something.

I've come to peace with the fact that will never have Nier on the Switch, and so should you OP. Maybe we could get that new mobile gacha game? I wouldn't mind honestly, even though i hate gacha games.
Nier Automata it's one of my favorite games of all time, and one of the best stories i've experienced in any kind of medium but it's not a optimized game. Ps4 was 900p and sometimes dipped (but it was rare) and on Pc it's even worse; my laptop (i7 from like 4 years ago and 1050 Ti) can play Witcher 3 with better performance and graphics than the PS4, and on Nier Automata i struggle to main 60 fps on a resolution higher than like 1300x800 or something.
When last did you play it on PC? The Steam release was finally patched this year.

It would be interesting to play a Cloud version of it on the SWOLED in portable mode.
That is actually how I would like to play the game. I have no faith in a native port of either Replicant or Automata. It would look like ass.

I am about this too! Seeing the OLED makes me want to even try cloud games on it. Provided they are 60 FPS and at least 720p. I am not a performance or graphics fiend, but for cloud gaming these specs need to be the baseline.

I know performance is an issue for Automata. Even with a cloud version, it might run into issues or require a downgrade. I personally wouldn't mind a required downgrade - graphics was never the selling point or the driving force of Nier anyway. Also, if Witcher 3 can do it, anyone can do it! (even though that's a meme at this point..)

A port of Reincarnation, though, is a fun idea, I'd be on board.

Automata already struggled to run on a PS4 so I'm not holding hopes for that to be on Switch. Replicant looks more feasible but that's not the kind of game I'd want to play on Switch anyway.
Didn't Taro said that it's up to S-E? sounds like he and Platinum can make it work

I really wanted Replicant on Switch. Should be no issue getting that running.

I know performance is an issue for Automata. Even with a cloud version, it might run into issues or require a downgrade. I personally wouldn't mind a required downgrade - graphics was never the selling point or the driving force of Nier anyway. Also, if Witcher 3 can do it, anyone can do it! (even though that's a meme at this point..)

A port of Reincarnation, though, is a fun idea, I'd be on board.
Why would a cloud version need a downgrade? It's just a video stream.

Control 'on' Switch has more graphical features than on ps4/Xbox one.

I'd like Nier on Switch but knowing Square Enix, it would be a Cloud Edition which does nothing for me.

I was thinking the other day about what 3rd party games I would love to have on the go. Main ones would be Batman Arkham series, Tomb Raider 2013 reboot trilogy and Resident Evil 2 & 3 (Although I would love for Capcom to bring the original versions to Switch, port the GameCube versions with updated HD assets)

Not a massive fan of Nier though...

Why would a cloud version need a downgrade? It's just a video stream.

Control 'on' Switch has more graphical features than on ps4/Xbox one.

Oh, sorry. I meant that a port might require some sort of downgrade, not a cloud version.

I would hope Platinum's familiarity with the Switch and Square's enthusiastic support would lead to this, because it's unfortunate there's been no Nier so far, and I'd definitely pick up Automata again.

This will get a port on the next Switch imo. A lot of Square games will like FFXV, Kingdom Hearts 3 and FFVII Remake.

The above games aren’t possible on the current Switch hardware without a lot of time, decent sized budget and a ton of cuts and optimisations. Once those limitations are lifted and Square know the Switch brand is a success they’ll support the new console a lot more.

Nier Replicant should be on Switch. Its a Xbox 360 game.

Nier Automata …. we can debate whetever it will run well or not on Switch but I think Platinium would want to try it. They have good relationship with Nintendo and Nintendo has invested on getting a good fanbase of Platinium action games (with exclusives like Bayonetta 2/3 and Astral Chain) on Switch. The game sold +6 million copies and its top 3 of the best Square-Enix games of this gen (the other 2 are DQ11 and FFVII Remake).

Third parties are a 50-50 on Switch, some want to take the risk (like Witcher 3 or Doom Eternal). Other won’t and prefer to go for cloud versions (like Kingdom Hearts lol).

When last did you play it on PC? The Steam release was finally patched this year.
Before the new patch, but at the time i used the FAR mod to improve performance and even with global illumition low, i couldn't maintain 60 fps on higher resolutions.

Third parties are a 50-50 on Switch, some want to take the risk (like Witcher 3 or Doom Eternal). Other won’t and prefer to go for cloud versions (like Kingdom Hearts lol).
Well, Square made it clear before even Switch launched, they said they don't see Switch the same way they see other consoles. Looking at their releases so far, it's clear that Switch is just a "retro" themed platform to them. Lots of dungeon crawlers, retro remasters and even super nostalgic 2D-HD style. Their most graphically superior game on Switch, Dragon Quest XI, was actually requested by Iwata.

Hopefully these Life is Strange ports are the start of a renewed Square support on Switch. LiS3 will be their second ever current gen port to Switch.

Well, Square made it clear before even Switch launched, they said they don't see Switch the same way they see other consoles. Looking at their releases so far, it's clear that Switch is just a "retro" themed platform to them.
Yeah, add to that AA releases like Neo TWEWY and such. They definitely view it as a different kind of gaming platform than the others, that's for sure.

Yes would double dip, they should atleast do Nier Replicant. Would triple dip 🤣 got it on ps5 and xbox series x already. Yoko Taro would be proud of me. Still crazy he follows me on twitter. I only reacted on one of his tweets something along the lines of my nier snow white edition preorder is ready taro san. Still can't believe it took something that simple/silly.

But that aside yeah idm playing it handheld on that oled screen 👀

Back
Top Bottom