• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News We may have gotten our first new crumb of information about the Detective Pikachu on Switch, and the source is.. intriguing

CyberWolfBia

I talk more about games than I play them
Pronouns
She/Her
Hey, so.. this was originally brought up by @MondoMega on the main Nintendo thread, but I thought it needs more traction;

Remember the announcement about a Detective Pikachu "project" that TPC made in 2019? Well, since then, we've been completely in the dark.. there wasn't any clarification even if the game in question would be a port of the 3DS original, new episodes or anything. And Nintendo hasn't reported on the title on their schedules anywhere;

Fast forward to this week.. Monster Rancher 1 & 2 DX is releasing on Switch today, and I've had the opportunity to review it. The game originally had this mechanic you could swap discs on the PS1 driver so you could summon monsters, and this was replaced in the Switch version by a robust searching feature with a custom database, counting with PS1 titles, Saturn titles, Music CDs and.. the entire Switch library it seems;

And while I was experimenting with the feature and browsing through Nintendo published titles, I noticed they have upcoming games listed there, including Advance Wars, Bayonetta 3, Kirby and the Forgotten Land.. and.. the first official mention since announcement, Detective Pikachu!

But not only that, but it is listed specifically as "Untitled Detective Pikachu sequel"

LjLafaS.png

My guess is that the list inside Monster Rancher is tied to the eShop data, and with that, the game is displaying titles that may have a page internally on the servers but it's not up for public view yet.

There's also pages for Metroid Prime 4 and "Untitled Breath of the Wild sequel", which you can't find on the eShop normally either.

So yeah.. thanks for Monster Rancher we know that Detective Pikachu on Switch is a full blown sequel lol

Thanks, Suezo!
tumblr_mzevl7zOSS1sgzy72o1_400.gif

Last edited:
Hilarious source to be honest! But hey, in looking forward to it since it was announced a couple of years ago. Thanks for sharing

If this was the case this would be a massive oversight.

edit: Are there other entries, preferably of unannounced games, that could support this theory?
It's the only way they've could done, imo... I personally don't believe all the listed games there were added manually, and potentially was made so Monster Rancher could recognize future titles when you search for them;

Beyond the upcoming Nintendo games I mentioned, I also found Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope in the Ubisoft section;

The PS1 and Saturn games are pretty rich too, with Sony published titles even;.. which I suppose they carried over from the original Monster Rancher; I can't say definitively they are complete, of course, but every title I searched for (or publisher) it popped up.

If Nintendo or Tecmo doesn't intervain in a patch, this could lead to some leaks in the future indeed 🔍

wow, that's some crazy stuff.
If the game is present in the eshop files then an announcement is around the corner, likely for the next Pokémon direct in February.

If this was the case this would be a massive oversight.

edit: Are there other entries, preferably of unannounced games, that could support this theory?
This should be solvable by someone with a copy of the game and a web proxy, to see if it reaches out to the eShop.

My suspicion is that would hammer the eShop servers pretty hard AND require access to a non-public API. I expect this is a curated list somewhere, scraped from some other games database, though if so it’s not an obviously public one (searching for “untitled detective pikachu sequel” doesn’t give any useful hits)

I was actually hoping for a remaster. Never played the original.

It's the only way they've could done, imo... I personally don't believe all the listed games there were added manually, and potentially was made so Monster Rancher could recognize future titles when you search for them;

Beyond the upcoming Nintendo games I mentioned, I also found Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope in the Ubisoft section;

The PS1 and Saturn games are pretty rich too, with Sony published titles even;.. which I suppose they carried over from the original Monster Rancher; I can't say definitively they are complete, of course, but every title I searched for (or publisher) it popped up.

If Nintendo or Tecmo doesn't intervain in a patch, this could lead to some leaks in the future indeed 🔍

You don't have to add games manually since you can already access them the same way psprices and deku deals do. It's only games like Detective Pikachu which could have been added manually. Of course, I'm not ruling out that they missed this but having unannounced/rumoured titles in there would be more convincing evidence.

By the way, Super Mario Bros. 35 is listed in Monster Rancher as well.. which was completely revoked from public access, but I assume there's still a inaccessible eShop page

I know it's not the same but it instantly reminded me of Dead or Alive Dimensions being one of the first good methods to unlock CFW/region lock on 3DS lol.

LMFAO this is my most hilarious way to leak games.

This should be solvable by someone with a copy of the game and a web proxy, to see if it reaches out to the eShop.

My suspicion is that would hammer the eShop servers pretty hard AND require access to a non-public API. I expect this is a curated list somewhere, scraped from some other games database, though if so it’s not an obviously public one (searching for “untitled detective pikachu sequel” doesn’t give any useful hits)
You would hope (although this is Nintendo) that the eshop listing api would be VERY heavily cached. If it's not, that would explain a lot!

Plus, the amount of people using this feature in a relatively small game would likely be the smallest drop in the ocean compared to actual eshop usage, imo.

Having said that, I have no opinion as to where this is coming from, but yeah, until someone with the game sniffs their traffic or looks at some access logs (router, f/w or whatever) we won't know for sure.

All known Nintendo APIs are well documented and available in various libraries on Github. The idea of a secret public endpoint that leaks non-public games, but also only a small handful that the public already knows about, is extremely unlikely.

One of two things happened. Either the developers found an unofficial list of Switch titles online which excluded these upcoming games, or they used an official list and added the extra games themselves.

(pause for Googling)

This TV Tropes list includes "Untitled Detective Pikachu sequel", "untitled Breath of the Wild sequel", Metroid Prime 4, Bayo 3, and Forgotten Land.

Yeah it could just be the devs adding the games manually. I believe the current name for BotW 2 is "The sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild"

Does the game let you change the language to Japanese? Someone could check if the titles are there too.

Last edited:
So, I got intrigued by the suggestion of @LiC of this being pulled from TV Tropes and cross-referenced them with Monster Rancher;

[1st Party]
  • Pokémon Legends: Arceus
  • Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp
  • Bayonetta 3
  • 'Untitled Breath of the Wild sequel'
  • 'Untitled Detective Pikachu sequel'
  • Metroid Prime 4

(what it didn't appear)
  • Triangle Strategy (it's on TV Tropes)
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land (it's on TV Tropes)
  • Splatoon 3 (it's on TV Tropes)

[some 3rd Party games]
  • Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
  • Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (abesent on TV Tropes)
  • Rune Factory 5

(what it didn't appear)
  • Shovel Knight Dig (abesent on TV Tropes)
  • Pac-Man Museum + (abesent on TV Tropes)
  • 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  • Chocobo GP
  • SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake

What I get from this is that the list is at very least not taken directly from TV Tropes as it is (and also it's not as complete as I originally thought it to be); It could still be a copy & paste job from other place tho; But still find it unlikely, personally.. you'd want the game to be always up to date with new titles coming to Switch when you search for

(apologizes for claiming Kirby and the Forgotten Land was there; I think I mixed with Star Allies last night, which does appear; I'll be editing it out from the first page)

Also, I think it's noticeable that some of these games that didn't appear in the Monster Rancher search, have already an eShop page, like Triangle Strategy.

When Detective Pikachu was announced. It was announced it was a sequel.

They specifically mentioned that fans should look forward to what happened to the characters after the first game I believe.

Damn that was some masterful detective work.

not to bother you or anything but can you please search for Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime Remaster and Xenoblade? 😭🙏

It is very unlikely that it is pulling data from the eShop. That would be a not insubstantial amount of work when the much easier, quicker solution would just be to store that pre-packaged information locally. It's possible that to get that information in the first place they just scraped the eShop, but there is very little chance that this is a dynamically updating list that accesses live eShop listings.

By the way, Super Mario Bros. 35 is listed in Monster Rancher as well.. which was completely revoked from public access, but I assume there's still a inaccessible eShop page
I find these temporary releases from Nintendo super weird. I literally downloaded and play Jump Rope Challenge. Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon that was supposedly only until March can be bought officially in Brazil, official stores sell gift cards for it.

Is there a Detective Pikachu movie sequel coming?

Oh, it's not gonna happen, but imagine if it was announced at TGAs lol. There's a lot of movie premieres(ugh).

I think it might be on a similar position to Yoshi's Crafted World and NSMBUDX where the game is finished and even on the eShop already months before release(or even announcement). I think it'll be announced whenever there's another Pokémon presentation.

Quoted by: LiC
I think it might be on a similar position to Yoshi's Crafted World and NSMBUDX where the game is finished and even on the eShop already months before release(or even announcement). I think it'll be announced whenever there's another Pokémon presentation.
Games like Metroid Prime 4 and BotW 2 are not on the eShop. And even if the Detective Pikachu game was, it wouldn't be titled "Untitled Detective Pikachu sequel."

This is a list from the Internet. It's not a leak of anything.

It is very unlikely that it is pulling data from the eShop. That would be a not insubstantial amount of work when the much easier, quicker solution would just be to store that pre-packaged information locally. It's possible that to get that information in the first place they just scraped the eShop, but there is very little chance that this is a dynamically updating list that accesses live eShop listings.
Games like Metroid Prime 4 and BotW 2 are not on the eShop. And even if the Detective Pikachu game was, it wouldn't be titled "Untitled Detective Pikachu sequel."

This is a list from the Internet. It's not a leak of anything.
I personally still not fully convinced; Not ruling out the possibility of this being pulled from a random compilation of Switch games, but this list is probably not made to remain static either;

Why the bother adding games would be listed in their tentative titles if this is bound to be outdated when eventually they do get their final titles? Beyond that, new games announced forward could be something that players whose purchase Monster Rancher would likely search for;

In any case, if this gets way too much traction, I could see Tecmo simply pulling out the untitled games from the list so it's not missleading (it's not even games they own);

It seems very unlikely that this game is pulling data from the eShop. It's almost certainly a manually curated list.

I personally still not fully convinced; Not ruling out the possibility of this being pulled from a random compilation of Switch games, but this list is probably not made to remain static either;

Why the bother adding games would be listed in their tentative titles if this is bound to be outdated when eventually they do get their final titles? Beyond that, new games announced forward could be something that players whose purchase Monster Rancher would likely search for;

In any case, if this gets way too much traction, I could see Tecmo simply pulling out the untitled games from the list so it's not missleading (it's not even games they own);
If you download the game while connected to the internet, then disable the internet before booting the game for the first time, I am sure this list would stay the same. It is really, really unlikely that this is displaying live eShop information for many reasons, not the least of which the amount of effort involved in creating that.

See when the game was last updated, search for games which were only announced after that. Then you will confirmed if it's being constantly updated or not.

Back
Top Bottom