• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Warner Bros Discovery and Paramount Group discussing merger

This feels like a rather desperate move given how great the company is doing under Zaslav's fantastic leadership.

Disney was able to acquire 20th Century Fox without too much hassle so if Warner Bros. and Paramount move forward with this, I expect the Federal Trade Commission and Department of Justice to collectively turn into the shrug emoji. At best, a few of them may engage in theatrical pearl-clutching before ultimately turning into the shrug emoji. Don’t want the public to think the government was deliberately wasting everyone’s time.

Just accidentally wasting it.

Disney was able to acquire 20th Century Fox without too much hassle so if Warner Bros. and Paramount move forward with this, I expect the Federal Trade Commission and Department of Justice to collectively turn into the shrug emoji. At best, a few of them may engage in theatrical pearl-clutching before ultimately turning into the shrug emoji. Don’t want the public to think the government was deliberately wasting everyone’s time.

Just accidentally wasting it.

The only thing that may cause issues with the FTC is CNN (owned by Warner Bros) and CBS News (owned by Paramount). But aside from that, I can't see anything else causing the merger to be blocked.

Also, neither company is worth that much money. WBD's market value is only around $29 billion, while Paramount's is just over $10 billion.

Compare this to Disney, who's market value is a whopping $171.06 Billion as of December 2023.

Paramount, Discovery and Warner

PADAWAN
tenor.gif

ahh yes, the land of capitalism and competitive markets - continuously getting less and less competitive!

i'd imagine the sheer scale of cancelled projects if this goes through would be disastrous. considering how bad WB has been over the past few years.

Disney & Fox was at least built around (maybe a bit overzealously) getting the X-Men Film rights back, and Xbox & Activision-Blizzard was done to clean up the latter's horrendous work culture (+ Microsoft being willing to make more games than just Call of Duty.)

i feel like absolutely nothing would be gained for consumers if this is somehow approved.

I'm looking for another source that isn't FOX Business, but they say that Zaslav is more likely to himself buy the stake Shari Redstone has in Paramount's parent company (80% of their shares) than WBD buying/merging with Paramount.

Back
Top Bottom