• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Wand of Gamelon/Faces of Evil inspired Arzette: The Jewel of Faramore coming 2023

I wonder if they have any chance of capturing the very specific weird energy those CDi cutscenes had. The combination of the animations and dialogue is somehow dreamlike.

I’m fine with the cheesy animation and voice actors, but I hope this is actually fun to play. I laugh at the CDi games as much as anyone, but having actually played them at a friend’s house back in the 90’s, I assure you that they have absolutely dreadful gameplay.

I’m fine with the cheesy animation and voice actors, but I hope this is actually fun to play. I laugh at the CDi games as much as anyone, but having actually played them at a friend’s house back in the 90’s, I assure you that they have absolutely dreadful gameplay.
You should play the Remastered versions made by the guy who is doing this game. He fixed every control problem from the original game and fixed the physics. (Nothing to do about the backgrounds and hit boxes though.)

They're actually very fun for a 30 minute playthrough.

Hey yeah this is my game! So happy to finally announce it. I have assembled a stellar team of collaborators to help me bring this game to life. I'm very proud of it and hope you look forward to playing!

I... I hope that at least this plays better than the games it weirdly took influence from.
I am sure it will play better; I feel this project has had more development time and care put into it than the CDi games.

Hey yeah this is my game! So happy to finally announce it. I have assembled a stellar team of collaborators to help me bring this game to life. I'm very proud of it and hope you look forward to playing!
hell yeah bro! this looks sick, great work!

I also feel if your going to take inspiration from games that are notoriously bad, you have to have some ideas on how to improve them, for as bad as the Zelda CDi games appear to be they at least have some charm to them.

Looking forward to it!

I'm still expecting a collection with the Zelda CDi games
I wouldn’t hold my breath.

If you’re interested, someone completely remade Zelda’s Adventure as faithfully as possible on GB Studio. It basically looks like Link’s Awakening. While I heard good things, I haven’t played it yet (figured I’d wait a couple versions for some bug fixes). Check a look:

I also feel if your going to take inspiration from games that are notoriously bad, you have to have some ideas on how to improve them, for as bad as the Zelda CDi games appear to be they at least have some charm to them.
The person behind this project completely remastered the two CD-I games to play much better. Having played those versions, I think he's up to the job.

The person behind this project completely remastered the two CD-I games to play much better. Having played those versions, I think he's up to the job.
I wasn’t aware they had been remastered, that is great to here that improvements were made and will/are going to be implemented in Arzette.

Fuck yeah go Dopply! I'm so excited to see this finally announced!

For those of you who don't know, Dopply did a LOT of the early work with bellydrum in the development of this site. This is definitely a project I would encourage supporting!

From the developer of famed Nintendo Discussion site Famiboards

Best of luck to the game, I really don't like the CDI asthetic but it looks like there's a lot of passion behind the project so I hope it goes well

We all pretty much owe Famiboards to this game's creator, so support him! (Or be irresponsible like me and double dip)

Here is a link to the YouTube trailer if you want to put it in the OP:

I'm very proud of it. That's Jeffrey Rath (the original voice of Link from the Zelda CD-i games) doing the narration. I'm happy people seem to understand what my artists and I were going for and are excited about it. More updates to come!

Last edited:
We all pretty much owe Famiboards to this game's creator, so support him! (Or be irresponsible like me and double dip)
There’s some Familore I’m missing here as a new-ish member.

Definitely snagging this on Switch. While I have no nostalgia for the CD-i Zelda games, the audacity of even attempting to make this game is right up my alley.

There’s some Familore I’m missing here as a new-ish member.

Definitely snagging this on Switch. While I have no nostalgia for the CD-i Zelda games, the audacity of even attempting to make this game is right up my alley.
"Audacity" is right hahah

As for the "Familore" you're missing: When I was first looking for a team to help me start this site, @Dopply reached out to me and offered his knowledge and experience. Literally less than a week later he had set up the server account that this site is hosted through. He also installed the forum software (XenForo) onto the server. He was integral to getting this site off the ground, and even hosted my temporary version of the site on his Raspberry Pi before we set up the real server. Dopply knew a lot more than I did about commercial managed servers - my only experience at the time was serving my own apps on my Raspberry Pi.

Once the site was set up, he installed a lot of forum add-ons and helped out a lot with the initial configuration. At some point pretty early on, he had to step down from Famiboards to work full time on this game - but he couldn't tell any of us staff about it! Needless to say, the staff and myself are extremely proud of him. He's a frickin rock star.

Seedy Eye Software is a GREAT pun for the name of the development team!
8218dd797ceab132ee836f594c3a6d1accb0c499.png

They are putting a lot of effort on making this authentic, I'm impressed!

This is what will make Nintendo take their lazy asses out of the couch and rerelease The Faces of Evil and The Wand of Gamelon, finally!

In more realistically note, hopefully it sparks some interest in 2D sidescroller Zelda!

Though, again.. I wish it wasn't a Limited Run Games joint..

there's an interview with the developers up on Nintendo Life, it goes into detail about how they're taking this project completely seriously.
Can you talk about the CD-i Zelda games, and your own experience with them?

Yeah! My first experience was like a lot of people: the memes, the video remixes and stuff. But you know, I have a soft spot for games that are perceived as 'bad' or underloved. So I really latched on to it. Especially because I really liked the art style, and the cutscenes, and also learning about why the games were the way they are, with all the development constraints. It’s really charming to me.

I saw the potential in those games and I wanted to explore them, and hopefully show people that if you have enough time and resources and a good design, things will turn out good.

Is there anything else about Arzette that we didn’t touch on yet or that you haven’t shared with the general public yet?

Well, working with Limited Run has been excellent. They’ve been really supportive. Working with all of my collaborators has been excellent; they all understand the project and what I’m going for, and a lot of them are my friends and this was the game we were all sort of waiting to make. It feels excellent to finally make it.

There’s a lot of surprises in store, and a lot to love about Arzette. I didn’t make this game as a joke, I made this (with) a sincere attempt to make a good game with those aesthetics. I hope that it shows in the final product.

I just found out their also reproducing the infamous presentation controller that was made for the CDi!!!

Frankly I'm just impressed at the dedication to replicating a shitpost like the Zelda CDI games.

It's a fascinating idea to be honest. Lots of indie games are about recapturing past glories, there's not nearly as much coming back to stuff that didn't work the first time.

Back
Top Bottom