• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Hardware Video Games Chronicle: "Mark Cerny's new patent could reveal plans to 'accelerate' ray-tracing on PS5"

Dakhil

2010 experience points!
Founder
Filed this week (as spotted by a Twitter user) and credited to PS5 and PS4 engineer Mark Cerny, the patent is titled, "system and method for accelerated ray tracing with asynchronous operation and ray transformation".

The patent describes a system that uses shader processors to shorten rays, thus increasing overall performance when ray-tracing is turned on.

"The [described] processing strategy may result in a significant improvement of ray tracing speed, as the shader program is only performing hit testing," the patent reads.

Real-time ray tracing – which allows for the realistic simulation of light and reflections, similar to those seen in CGI movies – is the flagship visual feature of new-gen consoles PS5 and Xbox Series X and modern PC GPUs.

Currently, many PlayStation 5 games such as Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart offer ray-tracing modes. However, these modes come with the trade off of reduced frame rates and lower resolutions in order to facilitate the significant power required for the effect.
Other graphically intense titles such as the upcoming Gran Tursimo 7 aren't able to enable ray-tracing at all during gameplay, with the racer opting to limit the lighting feature to replays and Garage mode.

On PC, Nvidia's RTX video cards offer hardware-accelerated ray-tracing that has seen the feature widely adopted by many modern games.

Screenshot-2022-02-26-122146-480x302.jpg

A diagram included in Sony's ray-tracing patent.

Sony Interactive Entertainment has filed several notable patents over the last few years. They include one for an AI voice assistant called PlayStation Assist, and a system which would enable players to leave in-game text, image and audio tips for other users.

Another PlayStation patent described an ‘Uber-style’ real-time help service which would enable users to call in expert players to guide them through challenging game sequences.

More recently, Sony Interactive Entertainment successfully patented the path-building mechanic featured in Death Stranding, and patented what appears to be a PlayStation controller designed for mobile gaming.
The link to the actual patent is below.

I do hope it leads to something, but I’m not that concerned about ray tracing yet. Even the best examples on xbox sx and ps5 are not game changers in my eyes (and are not that noticable over baked light yet, imo). In the future it will get better, but as of now it doesn’t bother me if the consoles can’t keep up in terms of ray tracing.

I do hope it leads to something, but I’m not that concerned about ray tracing yet. Even the best examples on xbox sx and ps5 are not game changers in my eyes (and are not that noticable over baked light yet, imo). In the future it will get better, but as of now it doesn’t bother me if the consoles can’t keep up in terms of ray tracing.
I think it’s more of a benefit to developers than it is to end users.

While baked lightning can look great, it takes a lot of time, effort and budget to make it look great. While ray tracing in comparison is more like turning on a switch.

according to Dictator, it ain't for PS5 as there is no hardware that uses this. maybe PS5 Pro with a new (and expensive) semicustom soc

But if you shorten the rays, it's not ray tracing. It's line segment tracing.

I hate line segments!

Back
Top Bottom