• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Via Deadline: The Mario Movie was the most profitable film of 2023.

Big day for the money fandom

Brie Larson for Samus.

This is not discussable. And an order.

Vera Drew should play Samus and the movie should be called The People's Metroid, made entirely without permission from Nintendo

I do wonder if Nintendo is actually paying attention to this forum, given it's like the main Nintendo forum on the Internet. The fact that I could see several mixed responses in this thread (and also the OT!) makes me think maybe the fandom isn't as united on this movie as people think it is.

I think it looks great, but I think it deserved a better script. Hopefully, Nintendo sees that it's an important thing going forward.

Last edited:
I do wonder if Nintendo is actually paying attention to this forum, given it's like the main Nintendo forum on the Internet. The fact that I could see several mixed responses in this thread (and also the OT!) makes me think maybe the fandom isn't as united on this movie as people think it is.

I think it looks great, but I think it deserved a better script. Hopefully, Nintendo sees that it's an important thing going forward.
Realistically, we are still much smaller than even a lot of Nintendo subreddits. This is still primarily an enthusiast forum that skews older than the target audience, especially for this movie. Nintendo definitely is aware of and keeps an eye on Famiboards, but it’s not for the reception of this movie.

Yeah. And it's a relatively "young" forum anyways. Not even as entrenched as most subreddits.

Look, the phrase "talent wins" is asinine at the best of times, but it's bewildering to me for someone to suggest that the Mario movie - a relatively cheaply made, oddly cast, and thinly scripted film which yes, many people found to be quite enjoyable - was successful because the people behind it had superior talent to the competition.
I mean, the animators are talented and it did not look cheap to make. The animation is one of the things that was praised even among detractors, so it would not be wrong to call them talented, and they certainly worked hard. People seemed to enjoy Brian Tyler's score too.

Last edited:
I’m willing to put 100 Famicoins down on the Fire Emblem film. The budget needs to be tight but I want epic battle scenes with hundreds of extras, a dragon that makes Smaug look like a gecko and practical animatronic effects on the Pegasus knights. Maybe we can scrimp on the cast.

I think Nintendo doesn’t care at all what Fami’s five thousand members with an average age of 30-something (given the minimum age to have an account here) think about the Mario film. There’s also going to be millions of parents that took kids to see this and the amount of them that were praying for it to end like most films aimed at younger viewers or were just utterly confused all the way through dwarfs parents like me that got every reference. Mario’s fanbase is broad, but the target for the film wasn’t both kids and older gamers who spent their time arguing about Smash and Paper Mario on forums, it was kids weighing their pester power between Mario, Minecraft, Roblox and whatever Disney had out that weekend.

Last edited:
Was watching Dan Murrell’s streaming charts video and from the beginning of 2024 through April 14, Mario is far and away the most watched movie on streaming with almost 94 million watch hours, the next highest film being around 59 million. It’s apparently the third highest all time since Neilson began tracking in 2020, with only Moana and Encanto ahead of it.

Absolutely wild performance a year on, the sequel Is going to be huge.

Was watching Dan Murrell’s streaming charts video and from the beginning of 2024 through April 14, Mario is far and away the most watched movie on streaming with almost 94 million watch hours, the next highest film being around 59 million. It’s apparently the third highest all time since Neilson began tracking in 2020, with only Moana and Encanto ahead of it.

It is still kind of wild Mario basically managed to end up within less than 300 million of being the highest-grossing animated movie ever on its first rodeo. The Lion King remake stands at 1.64B, and as far as I know, I would like to see if a sequel can destroy that, maybe climbing up all the way to 2B? who knows.

wow. i have to say that is a pretty SUPER performance for Mario!

Back
Top Bottom