• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Via Deadline: The Mario Movie was the most profitable film of 2023.

Mer.Saloon

Chain Chomp
Pronouns
He/Him

17fdc649-ff10-4f9a-98c7-848ebb75abc9.png

Not only is The Super Mario Bros Movie the highest-grossing Illumination movie of all time with $1.36 billion at the global box office, but it’s also the most profitable at $559M, besting Minionsnet of $502M in 2015. The latest film’s $100M production cost was split 50-50 between Nintendo and Universal. While the movie didn’t have a $100M promotional-partner marketing campaign to offset P&A, that would be rare for an animated film. However, there were plenty of partners to knock audiences atop the head with McDonald’s Happy Meals, Shake Shack and 7-Eleven takeovers. Universal blasted off the Super Mario Bros Movie trailer during a New York Comic-Con panel in the fall of 2022 timed with an integration on Nintendo Direct (YouTube digital press conference for the brand), along with a global digital launch. The second trailer dropped in November and was attached to the holiday season’s must-see film, Avatar: The Way of Water. Several spots ran during the NFL championships games, the NBA All-Star Game and last year’s March Madness. On March 10, Nintendo’s Mario Day, movie tickets went on sale for the film’s Easter-weekend release. There were in-game displays for the movie on such kids game sites as Roblox, Minecraft and Fortnite. This all resulted in big turnout by Hispanic and Latino audiences at 40%, with the biggest five-day opening of all time at $204.6M stateside and the biggest debut for animated movie around the globe at $377M.

Now it's only a matter of when and how the franchise will continue and expand. Will it be a DK-focused sequel, or will the Kongs get their own separate movie? Mario could center around Yoshi more, and/or start exploring the Galaxy angle, although that might be something to save for further down the line.

I have no doubt sooner or later something like Smash Bros will be the next generation's Avengers.

Nintendo sure knows how to make a profit. As does Illumination.

In hindsight, this partnership makes an awful lot of sense.

Super impressive. Guess that means there’ll be more films for better or worse. I’m actually hoping this means they take the opportunity to put more effort into other mediums for their IPs. I’m not interested at all in the idea of a Metroid movie for example but I wouldn’t be opposed to short stories or another crack at a limited manga or comic.

Actually seeing the Apes film this weekend at least partially so I can see what Wes Ball does and think about the Zelda film lol

Well deserved!!! That movie was one of my highlights of 2023 and definitely one of the most joyful moments I had in my life.

Hopefully they make the sequel even better, Zelda movie doesn't suck and a Metroid something is greenlit!!!

Nintendo sure knows how to make a profit. As does Illumination.

In hindsight, this partnership makes an awful lot of sense.
Also because they knows how to keep cost at minimum compare to different company...

Still 279.5M Dollar for Nintendo, plus more brand recognition, a ad for Mario and lastly huge merchandising potential, overall that isn't that bad.

The movie was pretty bad, so kinda?
“Sir, The Super Mario Bros. Movie was a tremendous financial success and is doing extremely well on home release and streaming revenue, showing significant popularity with our target audience, giving us a revenue stream from residuals with a long tail, synergizing well our merchandise, theme parks, and games, and reaching all new audiences to expand the brand! We’ve even already green lit the sequel and are expanding our other IPs to film!”

“But what does Truno think?”

“It seems he thought it was kind of bad, actually.”

clench fist “Tear it all down…”

“Sir, The Super Mario Bros. Movie was a tremendous financial success and is doing extremely well on home release and streaming revenue, showing significant popularity with our target audience, giving us a revenue stream from residuals with a long tail, synergizing well our merchandise, theme parks, and games, and reaching all new audiences to expand the brand! We’ve even already green lit the sequel and are expanding our other IPs to film!”

“But what does Truno think?”

“It seems he thought it was kind of bad, actually.”

clench fist “Tear it all down…”

I will use my influence to cancel all future Mario projects and greenlight an Earthbound movie.... and maybe a new DK game

yes. that's exactly what winning means
Look, the phrase "talent wins" is asinine at the best of times, but it's bewildering to me for someone to suggest that the Mario movie - a relatively cheaply made, oddly cast, and thinly scripted film which yes, many people found to be quite enjoyable - was successful because the people behind it had superior talent to the competition.

The success of the film can largely be attributed to the strength of the IP, with a decent amount of credit for the marketing campaign. To be clear, I certainly don't fault people for celebrating the news, since it's likely to encourage Nintendo to continue branching out into other media which is something people have been wanting for a while. it's just weird to put it all down to "talent".

Look, the phrase "talent wins" is asinine at the best of times, but it's bewildering to me for someone to suggest that the Mario movie - a relatively cheaply made, oddly cast, and thinly scripted film which yes, many people found to be quite enjoyable - was successful because the people behind it had superior talent to the competition.

The success of the film can largely be attributed to the strength of the IP, with a decent amount of credit for the marketing campaign. To be clear, I certainly don't fault people for celebrating the news, since it's likely to encourage Nintendo to continue branching out into other media which is something people have been wanting for a while. it's just weird to put it all down to "talent".
I’ll give credit where it’s due, I do think the animation in the movie is genuinely pretty great, easily the best I’ve seen from Illumination. I think they get flack for being the Minions people, but even just competently translating the feeling of a massively popular game series in a way that appeals to such a large number of people isn’t something to easily dismiss. Like, even if it’s based solely on the strength of the original IP, this isn’t the first Mario movie, and even accounting for how much the IP has grown, Mario wasn’t exactly obscure in the early 90s, yet that film was clearly not able to translate the experience of the games and capture an audience in quite the same way, despite being an arguably more creatively daring and auteur driven production. So I’ll tip my cap to The Super Mario Bros. Movie and Illumination, and say they did what was asked of them and did it demonstrably well.

I’ll give credit where it’s due, I do think the animation in the movie is genuinely pretty great, easily the best I’ve seen from Illumination. I think they get flack for being the Minions people, but even just competently translating the feeling of a massively popular game series in a way that appeals to such a large number of people isn’t something to easily dismiss. Like, even if it’s based solely on the strength of the original IP, this isn’t the first Mario movie, and even accounting for how much the IP has grown, Mario wasn’t exactly obscure in the early 90s, yet that film was clearly not able to translate the experience of the games and capture an audience in quite the same way, despite being an arguably more creatively daring and auteur driven production. So I’ll tip my cap to The Super Mario Bros. Movie and Illumination, and say they did what was asked of them and did it demonstrably well.
Yeah I also think that they could do great movies with well thought out stories if they really want to. I mean the first Despicable Me was IMO an actually really good movie by all accounts. Though they found their "niche" and it works really well for them.

A lot of people, especially in Latin American countries, seem to like their movies a lot, so obviously they found their audiences and are doing something right.

Their movies aren‘t for me but I can appreciate the Mario Movie for its animation, attention to detail and for the moments where they don‘t use some random music.

I‘m not sure if a second movie will be interesting in the slightest for me, but tbh I currently lost interest in IP based films in general.

good thing I didn't have the word "talent" in my post, but go off, I guess

and that's not to demean Illumination's ability to strike targets. you might not be in that bullseye, but you can't be that accurate without having a good read on things. I think we all can, at least, acknowledge that

It was a fun movie. I’d like them to do a digital 4K release for the 90s movie though lol

good thing I didn't have the word "talent" in my post, but go off, I guess

and that's not to demean Illumination's ability to strike targets. you might not be in that bullseye, but you can't be that accurate without having a good read on things. I think we all can, at least, acknowledge that
You were literally responding to and defending a post that said talent wins by saying making lots of money=winning.

That aside, Illumination's success is achieved by making safe, lowest common denominator pablum cheaply. Not very admirable or worth celebrating imo.

my parasocial relationahip with shigeru miyamoto is threatened by this dog ass movie i've never watched
LMAOOOOOOOOO sorry, a Yeah was not enough for this one

I feel you, but this is an Illumination movie first and a Miyamoto thing second, no matter what they might say. It's a plain kids movie that wasn't as annoying as I feared but that was the main pleasant surprise. (I saw it for free with work shortly after it came out) What I'm saying is, Miyamoto is still your friend

Brie Larson for Samus.

This is not discussable. And an order.
When you consider that the Zelda movie is gonna be directed by a fan, or that Jack Black put forward his love of Nintendo, it's not impossible that they'll do the same for Metroid.

However, I'd love to see some kind of narrative prequel, which I think would mean casting a younger Samus. Why not, even, in the form of a series for example. Whether live-action or animated.

as much as I want to be cheeky, it wouldn't be good for my account status

give the wide net they cast for this movie, I do have questions on potential growth. jumping out the bed to over a billi is a high bar to clear for the sequel

Back
Top Bottom