• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News VGC: Capcom President Thinks Games Should Cost More

Haziqonfire

Toronto Wasteman
Pronouns
He/Him
According to a report by Nikkei, Haruhiro Tsujimoto was speaking during the Tokyo Game Show about several topics, including the increasing cost of game development.

Tsujimoto reportedly said that he felt game prices should reflect these increasing costs, and that they’re currently too cheap.

“Personally, I feel that game prices are too low,” Tsujimoto reportedly said. “Development costs are around 100 times higher than they were in the days of the Famicom (NES), but the price of software hasn’t risen so much.

“There is also a need to raise wages in order to attract talented people. Given that wages are rising across the industry as a whole, I think the option of raising unit prices is a healthy form of business.”
I mean it makes sense to some degree, game prices haven’t really risen that much over the last 20 years. Despite that there are other revenue streams (monetization mechanisms like mictotransactions and DLC), development costs have gone up a ton. It’s a tough one, everything else is also going up in price.

Honestly, the below bit is also good.
Capcom also announced last year that it would be raising its employees’ base salaries by 30% and introducing a new bonus system more closely tied to the company’s business performance.

What do you think? I think the price increase will become the norm across the board for all publishers.

Link.

It depends on the game. I would pay $70 for Monster Hunter 6 assuming it is done by the A-team like World, but not Monster Hunter Rise given its awful launch state with no ending etc. Dragon's Dogma 2 looks worth $70, but Ace Attorney 7 I would not.

Publishers like Capcom have already indirectly increased prices for their games through "Deluxe Editions" with cosmetics and bonus content that basically amounts to early game boosts. In Germany RE4R costs 70€ on digital stores, 80€ for the deluxe edition. Are you telling me that this is not enough?

80€ is already too much to be considered anything less than luxury. I know it's not the same in every region, but having to pay more than that? In addition to deluxe versions, battle passes, season passes, regular dlc? SF6 is great, but one thing that sucks about it is how utterly expensive it would be to get everything.

They literally split a low effort ROM dump collection into two to charge us more. What more do you need from us, Crapcom?

They can afford to raise wages without putting the costs back on the customers. They just choose not to and even if they raised the prices of games, they probably wouldn't then either.
[citation needed]

It’s no secret AAA development costs are an issue in the industry, multiple devs have said as much. I know we all want to blame the grubby fatcats at the top, but it does seem to be a legitimate problem.

I would argue there are two main options to address rising costs. 1) raise prices of AAA games or 2) stop making high budget AAA games.

Last edited:
[citation needed]

It’s no secret AAA development costs are an issue in the industry, multiple devs have said as much. I know we all want to blame the grubby fatcats at the top, but it does seem to be a legitimate problem.

I would argue there are two main options to address riding costs. 1) raise prices of AAA games or 2) stop making high budget AAA games.
3) The industry needs to increase volume.

Kindly, get in the bin. Games already mostly cost 70 Dollar or the equivalent in other currencies, usually come with at least one super duper hyper deluxe edition with additional content locked behind it and loads of worthless plastic garbage, for almost double the regular price.

Sell me a complete game and maybe we can talk.

In short: I think Capcom's president should fuck off.

They can afford to raise wages without putting the costs back on the customers. They just choose not to and even if they raised the prices of games, they probably wouldn't then either.
While I agree, we don’t really live in a society where that sort of thing happens when you’re a publicly traded company and the expectation is to always increase profits. Not trying to be smug but it’s the reality of it. It’s insane.

That said, too many big publishers have already mentioned rising game costs as being an issue for me to think that isn’t the case, budgets for big triple A titles are way higher than 20 years ago or so when we last saw an increase.

I’d actually be fine if developers scaled back PS5/XSX titles with reduced focus on graphical fidelity if it meant shorter development times, smaller budgets and stagnant pricing. However, that mindset is likely an outlier. Most people want the highest fidelity graphics and games on the new machines.

[citation needed]

I would argue there are two main options to address riding costs. 1) raise prices of AAA games or 2) stop making high budget AAA games.

cover6.jpg

Memes aside, AAA developers really should continue to try and diversify away from pushing AAAA budget games that take 5-8 years to finish and need to sell 5-10 million copies at launch to be successful. If the only solution is to make these games more expensive, you're going to enter the late stage capitalism death spiral of losing customers and having to squeeze your remaining customers harder to make up the difference.

It depends on the game. I would pay $70 for Monster Hunter 6 assuming it is done by the A-team like World, but not Monster Hunter Rise given its awful launch state with no ending etc. Dragon's Dogma 2 looks worth $70, but Ace Attorney 7 I would not.
This was obviously due to COVID

Capcom games tend to be considerably cheaper where I live (I know their regional prices are awful though) so I was kind of expecting them to increase the price sooner than later now that so many other devs do it. Definitely sucks.

I’d actually be fine if developers scaled back PS5/XSX titles with reduced focus on graphical fidelity if it meant shorter development times, smaller budgets and stagnant pricing
Cosigned. I don’t need cutting edge, I just need good enough.

But eh, the math will work itself out. For better or worse.

Capcom's best move is to discount their games slower and not to discount them as low. REmake 4 already seemed like it took a while to have an official sale compared to other RE games, and its legs were good.

You cant really have infinite software units expansion and then complain about lower prices though. You need to stick to one or another.
Kindly, get in the bin. Games already mostly cost 70 Dollar or the equivalent in other currencies
Capcom games do not cost $70, they cost $60. They still use the old pricing structure, though there are are $70 deluxe editions, but most people are not buying those. Of course, it might translate to $70 in some currencies, but those discrepancies exist in general.

So really they're basically saying we're going to do what the rest of the industry - like Nintendo or other publishers - are starting to do anyways.

He's right, but games should get smaller, not bigger, that'd help development costs. It's getting stupid now, but sadly that ship has sailed.

Games should get smaller and triple A productions are unnecessary.... unless it's the FF7 Remake trilogy and Dragon Quest, pump more money in that square

Despite that there are other revenue streams (monetization mechanisms like mictotransactions and DLC), development costs have gone up a ton.
DLC at least, is extra revenue, but also extra development. So it's just a fractional version of any issues with game development costs as a whole.
It's already happening, what do you think $70 games are?
Still way way lower cost than $60 games became the norm.

Genuine question, what's the source on this?
It's an assumption, but it's a fairly logical one. Special editions of games are not bought as much as standard editions for ... any game, really, and we do know that from physical and digital tracking. Also, pretty sure Capcom themselves (maybe even in this same article? I don't remember, this was already talked about a few days ago on Discord) have said their ASP for games is too low.

Logistically, if Capcom's games were already mostly bought at $70 at launch, they would have been one of the first publishers to jump on it. Instead they're one of the last, and it was to remain competitive. Capcom IP outside Monster Hunter are not even really a good candidate for it, and I wouldn't be surprised if 6 was the first game to have it.

Publishers nowadays be like:

Pay 80€ if you want to play our newest game on release.*

*Actual release date is three to five days ahead, please pay an extra 20€ to play it then. Prepare to drop yet another 20-30€ if you want to experience the full game, including DLC. Tyvm.

Granted, I don't think Capcom has done the "cough up to play earlier" model yet, but my point still stands.
And yet, they want more?

It is nonsense comparing it to the Famicom days. Gaming was a fraction compared to what it is today. There's no excuse for greed.

My backlog thinks so too.

And i think that i would be willing to pay more for games if it's guaranteed that it will reach the devs and artist and all the people that worked on it and not the bags of the higher ups in their everlasting quest for more money.

It's an assumption, but it's a fairly logical one. Special editions of games are not bought as much as standard editions for ... any game, really, and we do know that from physical and digital tracking. Also, pretty sure Capcom themselves (maybe even in this same article? I don't remember, this was already talked about a few days ago on Discord) have said their ASP for games is too low.

Logistically, if Capcom's games were already mostly bought at $70 at launch, they would have been one of the first publishers to jump on it. Instead they're one of the last, and it was to remain competitive. Capcom IP outside Monster Hunter are not even really a good candidate for it, and I wouldn't be surprised if 6 was the first game to have it.
Special Editions are quite different, both in price difference and shelf presence, from digital deluxe versions that are sold right next to the standard editions for a relatively small upcharge of usually $10. An ASP that's too low could also be caused by aggressive discounts. I can believe that it's not the majority of people buying deluxe versions but I'm asking because I've never seen any data on the extent they're bought.

My sentiments exactly. Corporations can afford to sell games cheaper and pay their employees more. They just want to invest every single revenue in profit margin, increase stock value, buy bsck stocks and increase their productivity bonuses.

It’s all about exploiting the employees and consumers

Depends on the game to me, I think varied pricing on games rather than a set ‘all games must be x price’ is reasonable. I don’t mind paying a bit more for MonHun than Megaman, when I get hundreds and hundreds of hours of play out of the former with weekly added event quests for over a year, and it clearly requires years more dev time over a larger staff.

TBH it’s kind of an oddity here anyway when games have technically been the equivalent of $70 since BOTW but retailers slash the prices so the market tends to sort out games that don’t sell at high prices, but I also think that illustrates why a ‘single RRP that all our games are priced at and that’s enforced by all retailers’ doesn’t really work in anyone’s favour.

“Personally, I feel that game prices are too low,” Tsujimoto reportedly said. “Development costs are around 100 times higher than they were in the days of the Famicom (NES), but the price of software hasn’t risen so much.

“There is also a need to raise wages in order to attract talented people.
Finally, tieing that to paying staff is gross. It’s not the price of the games that’s doing that when you’re still raking in the profits. When a game sold over a million copies back then it was a huge smash hit, now the big sellers hit much higher than that as the audience has increased, on top of DLC and expansions and special editions. The monetisation is not comparable, and wages haven’t increased that much. I paid ~£50 for MH Rise and then another £30 on top of that for Sunbreak. I was happy to do so. But don’t blame customers for multimedia multinationals not wanting to pay good wages.

Last edited:
Person directly profiting from more expensive games wants more expensive games to be normalized.

I feel bringing up wages for staff is a bit dirty, though. We all know how the profit split is leaning in AAA games, and there's absolutely margins for increases there without prices being raised.

It is nonsense comparing it to the Famicom days. Gaming was a fraction compared to what it is today.
Gaming is a lot bigger today, yes. But as Capcom dude says "Development costs are around 100 times higher than they were in the days of the Famicom (NES)". Software sales haven't increased THAT much. Breath of the Wild was a smash hit for the franchise and sold 5x the NES original, but probably cost more than 5x to make.

Special Editions are quite different, both in price difference and shelf presence, from digital deluxe versions that are sold right next to the standard editions for a relatively small upcharge of usually $10. An ASP that's too low could also be caused by aggressive discounts. I can believe that it's not the majority of people buying deluxe versions but I'm asking because I've never seen any data on the extent they're bought.
I wish we had more data on this too, trust me. Most digital store fronts (as in digital units, not online retailers) don't split digital deluxe editions from their normal editions. The only store that might do it that I know of is the Eshop, because games usually have separate entries per edition (and even then, it depends on if the publisher has a separate entry or just lists the edition as DLC). But curiously, when I look at top 15's for the month I don't see many special editions in prior years, so maybe it's just for pre-orders even on Switch? (actually, it might just be that these editions are so low they don't even chart in the monthly sales)

Regardless, I do think it would be a bigger assumption to say consumers buy those games at $70 already rather than the opposite. I think if Capcom were actually selling most of their launch units at $70, they would have made it the standard a long time ago. The fact that they're one of the last and waited until it became standardized is definitely for a reason. Also yeah, ASP accounts for digital deals, I just meant it'd probably be higher.

I do wish they'd just be less aggressive with their sales though ... but that would probably hurt sales expansion. It sucks either way. Hopefully they don't try this shit with Dragon's Dogma 2 ... that is their first next gen title ...

Yeah, no.

I have a couple of thoughts.
  • Publishers have already found a number of ways to increase the cost of their games, and Capcom is no exception. Capcom's games are rife with cosmetic DLC, be it Street Fighter or Monster Hunter. Obviously those things aren't free to develop but they certainly aren't worth nearly 1/10th of a game's price. Other publishers have started charging crazy prices for collector's editions. I'm not going to bother looking at the numbers, but if you have a minute you should peep some of the monetization around Mortal Kombat 1; it's like staring into Hell without playing all of the violent video games to get there earnestly.
  • Publishers (and developers) haven't evolved. Many of them still believe that you need to push the technical envelope constantly to move the needle in terms of sales, but how many of the best-selling games are technical masterclasses? This generation has really shown how ridiculous this industry has become. The Series X and PS5 launched as highly capable machines, and just a couple of years in we are already dealing with games that can't run at 60 FPS or don't adhere to whatever standard Digital Foundry convinced us we need to abide by. I don't put that on the machines at all; developers are dumping oceans of money into making their games look amazing on the highest of high-end hardware when they would be fine dumping relatively smaller oceans of money into making their games look amazing on the hardware we have.
  • As was said above, executives get paid more than ever while the rank and file get laid off to prevent anyone at the top from losing sleep. Kindly, they can fuck right off to their penthouses.
Sorry, Capcom. I love you! I do. But this? I would expect this from a Ubisoft or an EA. You can do better.

Gaming is a lot bigger today, yes. But as Capcom dude says "Development costs are around 100 times higher than they were in the days of the Famicom (NES)". Software sales haven't increased THAT much. Breath of the Wild was a smash hit for the franchise and sold 5x the NES original, but probably cost more than 5x to make.

While all of this is true, we should also take into consideration that most developers don't have to create custom engines these days and that there's a lot less risk taken these days, relying on familiar franchises. They have nothing to complain about, especially the likes of CAPCOM.

A college professor told me the following years ago: always think if where people are coming from.

Like Quaker oats. They tell you that eating oatmeal is healthy. Where’s it coming from? A company that profits from oatmeal sales.

Capcom executive alleges that video games should be more expensive. Who’s saying it? Someone that receives a bonus from increased revenues and profit margins.

Breath of the Wild was a smash hit for the franchise and sold 5x the NES original, but probably cost more than 5x to make.
Sure, but video game companies have been posting record profits in their financial reports. These companies aren’t hurting for money, and frankly I don’t think that even 1 dollar out of that added $10 is trickling down to the workers.

Putting on my evil business suit as Capcom CEO I would look at the success of the Starfield deluxe early access and go hmmmmmm...

Putting on my evil business suit as Capcom CEO I would look at the success of the Starfield deluxe early access and go hmmmmmm...
I'm surprised digital deluxe editions that cost $20 more and offer access a week early aren't industry standard for all AAA games. It's free money out of impatient suckers and pushes them to buy games digitally where the publisher gets a bigger cut.

My post was not me taking the high road superior mountain, I've also impulsively bought a few digital deluxe with the play it early perk. It's really easy to get suckered in when you see positive reviews/comments on social media, the game is right there, and you have the money burning a hole in your e-wallet.

FOMO is a hell of a drug

See.... people are saying that prices haven't changed much in 20 years, but all that tells me is that publishers were charging way more for games that demanded way less labour and saw lower overall sales volumes. When volume of sales began to increase, their profits were likely INSANE. Modern day industry profits per sale are just swinging back to equilibrium with how they were at the start of the medium, but higher volume and lower profit per sale instead of the other way around.

When pointing to the past, we often make the mistake that we were being fairly charged because we accepted that price at the time.

Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Development costs are around 100 times higher than they were in the days of the Famicom (NES)
No, they don't. It's called inflation. Yes, game development is far more expensive than ever, but if you account for inflation during the 80-90s and the fact that far fewer people played video games back then, I don't believe it's that big. There are more potential customers.

And as others have said, they have increased their income and prices by adding stuff like deluxe editions, overpriced cosmetics, mtx, DLC locked on disc, etc.

See.... people are saying that prices haven't changed much in 20 years, but all that tells me is that publishers were charging way more for games that demanded way less labour and saw lower overall sales volumes. When volume of sales began to increase, their profits were likely INSANE. Modern day prices are just swinging back to equilibrium with how they were at the start of the medium, but higher volume and lower profit.

When pointing to the past, we often make the mistake that we were being fairly charged because we accepted that price at the time.

Just sayin'.
And all of this is on top of being cheap with labor by using contractors and long periods of unpaid overtime. When multiple companies are announcing 30% raises to their staff the response should be "wow they were underpaying people that much?!".

And all of this is on top of being cheap with labor by using contractors and long periods of unpaid overtime. When multiple companies are announcing 30% raises to their staff the response should be "wow they were underpaying people that much?!".
Well, the Japanese game industry has now begun to come up against something that is unique to vidya compared to most other industries, in that it has FAR more demand for labour than supply of new labourers (whereas the supermajority of other industries have an inverse issue there that they can and do exploit). These wage increases are moreso because of a highly competitive labour landscape in Japan right now than bad salaries (though I'm sure there's bad salary issues at some places, as well).

Well, the Japanese game industry has now begun to come up against something that is unique to vidya compared to most other industries, in that it has FAR more demand for labour than supply of new labourers (whereas the supermajority of other industries have an inverse issue there that they can and do exploit). These wage increases are moreso because of a highly competitive labour landscape in Japan right now than bad salaries (though I'm sure there's bad salary issues at some places, as well).
I work in public accounting which is facing a similar dilemma. The lower end staff at a lot of firms were being underpaid and over worked which lead to burn out. This was fine when there was tons of people going into the profession and you heard a lot of "it's not a career for everyone" nonsense to justify the long hours. Now that people aren't going into public accounting to provide enough fresh meat for the grinder, there has been a scramble to raise wages across the board and reduce required work hours. Even in just the past 7 years the starting Salary has gone up nearly 50% for entry level and required billable hours is down almost 100 hours.

Back
Top Bottom