• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club very serious question about super mario 64

The game is called this because it's on the Nintendo 64, a 64-bit console. There were only four mainline Mario platformers (five if you count Yoshi's Island) released prior to it, though there's no story connection, so you should be good.
Don't listen to these Gamer lies.

It's technically standalone, but you'd be missing out on a shitton of juicy lore if you skip Mario 1, 7, 22, 23, 45, and 60. And don't even get me started on the spinoffs! Waluigi's ascension to godhood in Mario Kart: Double Dash is something every gamer should experience at least once.
I believe the initial intention behind Waluigi's apotheosis was to create a sort of Dark Era with an endgoal; Team Mario was going to attack and dethrone Wagod in an epic Paper Mario true-JRPG adventure. This path was cast aside following reception to Super Paper Mario, but you can see how the series was trending that direction.

You got it all wrong mister.
Super mario 64 is from the 64 series, to understand the full story you'll need to play pilotwings 64 and star fox 64 at least. After you play super mario 64 you have multiple choices to continue the story: you could either play Donkey Kong 64 that follows the timeline were Mario collects 120 stars, Mario Kart 64 that follows the timeline were Mario collects only 70 stars and Superman 64 that follows the timeline where Mario dies fighting bowser.
Almost right. See, the 64 series actuallu spun off of Super Mario 64, which was meant to be the linchpin of the whole production. Timeline shenanigans actually don't play much of a role, but the bit about Superman 64 taking place in a universe following Mario's death is accurate.

The initiative was initially meant to be much more expansive, but it got cut way down as Nintendo found its plans too ambitious for their own good (and who knows? Cutting back on this may have saved the company from going the way of Sega's hardware division).

There are remnants of this project to be found outside the 64 series itself. After The Legend of Zelda 64 got reworked into Ocarina of Time, its connections to the project were removed, but the Arwing from Starfox 64, for instance, is still there to be found in the code.

Hmm... yeah, sounds like dubious reasoning to me! Mario definitely isn't an honest man. He's a thief, and a plunderer. Those gold coins don't have his name on them. He's basically a pirate. Samus should go after him.
The sad part is, this was going to happen, up until the point Metroid 64 got canceled.

Granted, being particularly fond of Metroid, I personally think this might have been the better outcome. It would have been difficult to make this feel right with that franchise, you know?

I mean he does use the underground to move his cash around and keep the taxman from finding the hundreds of gold coins he’s amassed. At this point the plumbing business is just money laundering.
See, this is the manner of analysis we need.

Back
Top Bottom