• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club very serious question about super mario 64

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
ok im a newbie so im sorry if this is a dumb question but

do i need to play super mario 1-63 first or can i start at 64? can someone tell me which of them i need to play to know what’s going on in 64? ive heard a lot about this franchise and i wanna get into it but dunno where to start

this is a common misconception (distractedpixels is pulling your leg). the game is actually called this because there are 64 stars in the game. hope this helps!

It's mostly standalone, but you will be missing the context on why Peach was baking that cake

when you haven't played 1-63 mario knows you're a fake fan and thus refuses to say the valuable "a" between words, only saying "It's me. Mario"

oh it’s a prequel?? okay thanks. is it on game pass?
No, it's a Japan-only release exclusive to the My Nintendo Japan store. You'll need to jailbreak your Switch. And also beat a nice old lady who loves Mario over the head so that you can take her copy and book it to Narita Airport so you can get home before the authorities can catch up to you.

But if you're a real Mario fan, it's not really much to ask.

You only need to see the SMB Movie with and it's sequel/prequel "Blue Velvet" in which you see Bowser's origin, you are set after that.

Altought if you skip 61 you will miss Mario/Halo crossover, epic moment with Master Chef doing some kick ass recipes.

So, took you 63 titles to hop on the Super Mario bandwagon, huh?

Anybody who wasn't around for the low point of Super Marios 12 thru 37 is a fake fan

ok im a newbie so im sorry if this is a dumb question but

do i need to play super mario 1-63 first or can i start at 64? can someone tell me which of them i need to play to know what’s going on in 64? ive heard a lot about this franchise and i wanna get into it but dunno where to start
You don’t haaaave to… if you’re okay with being a FAKE FAN.

Why is it that Metroid (and a bunch of other games) didn't become Super until the SNES, and then subsequently lost that status with later entries, while Mario always has been, and presumably always will be Super? If that's not clear favoritism, I don't know what is. Samus, Link, and Kirby are Super too. Do they have to pay $20 a month to keep that status, or what?

Unfortunately, while you can play through Super Mario Bros 1-34 and Super Mario Bros 36-64, Super Mario Bros 35 is no longer available so the story will always be incomplete.

Just watch a playthrough of Mario 35. It's a filler story so no need to really play it to follow along.

how Captain Toad and Yoshi got tangled up in the crystal meth business.
Walter-screaming-at-Hank-0-0-screenshot.png

Unfortunately, while you can play through Super Mario Bros 1-34 and Super Mario Bros 36-64, Super Mario Bros 35 is no longer available so the story will always be incomplete.
This feels almost criminal. Supposedly they were going to release Super Mario 35 on Wii U Virtual Console (it was datamined back in the day), but for some reason it never happened. Sad from game preservation perspective especially!

Regarding OPs question; I only ever played 1, 2 and 3. After that I had a long pause, but did eventually return to the series on 64. There were some parts of the story I didn't quite understand (why did Peach bake a cake?), but otherwise I was fine and enjoyed the game a lot.

Why is it that Metroid (and a bunch of other games) didn't become Super until the SNES, and then subsequently lost that status with later entries, while Mario always has been, and presumably always will be Super? If that's not clear favoritism, I don't know what is. Samus, Link, and Kirby are Super too. Do they have to pay $20 a month to keep that status, or what?

Mario started out with non-super status too! He was just verified by Nintendo as the only hero with a registered small business and place of employment. It’s all hypocrisy really. Sure, Samus may not be entirely honest with her federation tax returns as a freelance bounty hunter, but Mario gets almost all of his gold income from the mushroom kingdom as literally cash-in-hand.

Tax fraud and meth? Yoshi is a bit of a master criminal, isn’t he?
Well, you can't exactly claim your illegal crystal meth business's profits on your taxes, can you?

It's the good Captain's fault for convincing him to join this drug business partnership anyway. When Captain Toad said that he was "ready for adventure," I don't think Yoshi quite understood what he meant by adventure.

Mario started out with non-super status too! He was just verified by Nintendo as the only hero with a registered small business and place of employment. It’s all hypocrisy really. Sure, Samus may not be entirely honest with her federation tax returns as a freelance bounty hunter, but Mario gets almost all of his gold income from the mushroom kingdom as literally cash-in-hand.
Hmm... yeah, sounds like dubious reasoning to me! Mario definitely isn't an honest man. He's a thief, and a plunderer. Those gold coins don't have his name on them. He's basically a pirate. Samus should go after him.

It's technically standalone, but you'd be missing out on a shitton of juicy lore if you skip Mario 1, 7, 22, 23, 45, and 60. And don't even get me started on the spinoffs! Waluigi's ascension to godhood in Mario Kart: Double Dash is something every gamer should experience at least once.

It's technically standalone, but you'd be missing out on a shitton of juicy lore if you skip Mario 1, 7, 22, 23, 45, and 60. And don't even get me started on the spinoffs! Waluigi's ascention to godhood in Mario Kart: Double Dash is something every gamer should experience at least once.
22 was confirmed non canon in the retconned continuity presented in 47 when the events of 31 (which was actually a remake of 17) were re-examined with the new context of 39.

Hmm... yeah, sounds like dubious reasoning to me! Mario definitely isn't an honest man. He's a thief, and a plunderer. Those gold coins don't have his name on them. He's basically a pirate. Samus should go after him.
I mean he does use the underground to move his cash around and keep the taxman from finding the hundreds of gold coins he’s amassed. At this point the plumbing business is just money laundering.

What's truly criminal is having Super Marios 45-59 locked on dead hardware with no NSO datamine in sight.

22 was confirmed non canon in the retconned continuity presented in 47 when the events of 31 (which was actually a remake of 17) were re-examined with the new context of 39.
Ah shit, you're right, sorry. I guess that means 23 isn't canon either since it's a direct sequel to 22?

Super Mario 63 was a neat Flash fangame I used to play on Newgrounds... it blended Sunshine and 64 in 2D levels.

Honestly, if you don't play the Mario series with a playing guide that highlights every game critical to the plot then you are probably a useless human.

You can skip 4-63 inclusive, they took place in the timeline where Mario fell to Bowser in SMB3, so they're not needed to understand 64's continuity.

Supposedly Super Mario 35 was removed because it was discovered that it samples a soundbite from a recording of Charles Martinet killing a man with his bare hands. Nintendo didn’t want to pay his union rates so they took it off NSO.

They actually called it Super Mario 64 because when you play it you turn 64 degrees and walk away.

actually super mario 64 is the doctor, not the monster
But true literary aficionados -- supported through a thorough reading of this installment alone but strengthened with an eye to the larger narrative, character exploration, and themes therein -- recognize that he truly is the monster.

Last edited:
You got it all wrong mister.
Super mario 64 is from the 64 series, to understand the full story you'll need to play pilotwings 64 and star fox 64 at least. After you play super mario 64 you have multiple choices to continue the story: you could either play Donkey Kong 64 that follows the timeline were Mario collects 120 stars, Mario Kart 64 that follows the timeline were Mario collects only 70 stars and Superman 64 that follows the timeline where Mario dies fighting bowser.

What's even the point, to this day we're all still waiting for mario 128.
Story will just remain unfinished, I know it now, this is SO pissing

The game is called this because it's on the Nintendo 64, a 64-bit console. There were only four mainline Mario platformers (five if you count Yoshi's Island) released prior to it, though there's no story connection, so you should be good.

Back
Top Bottom