• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

RTTP Vanilla replays the Legend of Zelda the series

(Returned to the party)

Vanillalite

Bob-omb
So I was riding around listening to Zelda & Chill (as well as Poke & Chill) with my 3yo daughter, and I just got this feeling I needed to replay the series. I knew I probably wouldn't play all the games, and at some point I'd stop, get lazy, or just bounce off. Yet as Pete the Cat's older brother Bob would say "You gotta begin to begin!" So I have a Switch with access to NSO as well as a retro handheld and figured yolo.

I started Zelda 1 last week, and I just finished my play through yesterday. It's always been in my top 3 NES games, and my replay still confirms my love for the game. For full disclosure I only did the first quest. I remembered most of where I needed to go, and I did my usual play through of get sword and ring upgrades before dungeon 1 with the master sword after dungeon 4. My only real complaint remains the same in that even with buying the bomb carrying upgrades sometimes you just don't have enough bombs when you need them. This is especially true when they are required to progress in some of the later dungeons.

A1635A3B-C775-449E-8AAC-0BA0F95B69A5.jpg

72C79B6E-5BB5-4CCD-85C6-CE1B41A19DB8.jpg

660FC51D-A657-480C-8DFB-8879F3DF77C7.jpg

I've since moved on to Zelda 2, and I've completed dungeon 1. Currently got the note to cross the river, and I saved in the town before I go get the hammer.

A795F129-01C7-49CF-BC31-664F75D2CCCD.jpg

1DB845A6-1FF9-499E-A2FA-4BC520C72807.jpg

Impressive, I've never beaten Zelda 1 or 2. Or ALttP, for that matter.
I'm a big fan of these retrospective playthroughs, I know @Dopply was working on his Pokemon one for a while. I'll be watching this thread!

Started it 3 times. only shortly before BotW on the 3DS did i actually finish it.
Without the map that was part of the game back then its really hard to not just wander around for an hour and acomplish nothing. Still... its kinda fun in its simplicity. Would i blindly recomend it to somebody now? probably not.

I would actually want some new releases that take reflect this feeling of just exploring the world and progressing on different ends.
I did no play tunic yet (will do this month i asume), hope it has some of that.
Hyper light drifter has some similar vibes, but there is no real overworld, since the 4 directions are simply 4 dungeons that branch straight from the main hub.

Zelda 1 and 2 are both fun, mysterious, old-school instruction-manual kind of games that are HARD these days. Well, they always were hard, it's just that that used to be more the norm. Still very fun to play, especially with save states and some more modern features like on NSO.

Still, neither one is a favorite of mine since they do feel pretty dated and unrefined for Zelda games, which I don't think really hit on a formula until Link to the Past, one of the GOATs. Looking forward to you getting to that one!

While I've never played Zelda 2, I have played Zelda 1 back in 2013, when I played most of the other 2D Zelda games. I...used a guide for the whole thing, and unsurprisingly that takes the mystery away, but it was fun achieving a no-death run of the first quest. I want to try it again at some point, and finally dive into Zelda 2, at some point. I also want to finally finish Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, and I want to play Majora's Mask. Gotta make the time for it.

Zelda 1 and 2 are both fun, mysterious, old-school instruction-manual kind of games that are HARD these days. Well, they always were hard, it's just that that used to be more the norm. Still very fun to play, especially with save states and some more modern features like on NSO.

Still, neither one is a favorite of mine since they do feel pretty dated and unrefined for Zelda games, which I don't think really hit on a formula until Link to the Past, one of the GOATs. Looking forward to you getting to that one!
ALTTP will probably be next since I can make up the rules as I go.

Debating if I’m gonna play Link’s Awakening or if I’ll do the remake instead which I started and got like half way through but never finished.

I guess I also should have put in the OP I’ve played all of these games in various forms before. Like I owns both NES Zeldas as well as LA on the GB. Same with well every Zelda really. We will see how I take this as I go forward.

Tonight’s update Nov 16th

Got the hammer, beat Palace 2 and 3, got the fire spell and reflect, got up and down stab, and I’m like half way through Palace 4.

Chugging along. Hopefully I’ll clear Zelda II this weekend, and then on to the next one.

These kind of retrospective threads are interesting, either for the first time or replaying.

I've never played Zelda 1&2, because they appear very intimidating. I watched a glitchless Zelda 2 speedrun, and remember the runner saying that there's at least one completely random place in the game you never get a hint to even go there. Still, with its light RPG elements, Zelda 2 is a game I really want to see a remake of.

Too lazy to comment or post pics. I’ll do that in the morning.

Fuck the final Palace. Such a huge jerk off PITA from getting there, to the dang maze, the blue jumping knights, needing thunder at the boss when you got not magic.

Whatever that shit beat and in the can fellas. On to the next one.

And I don’t need no hook for this shhhiieeeetttt

Update on this.

Still going through ALTTP. With all of the holidays it’s just been slow, but I’ve made some progress in the last 24hrs.

I’m on the 3rd dungeon in the dark world. Just also got unlazy and did some side shit. I’ve got 2 of the medallions, 3 of the 4 bottles etc…

I should have more free time this up coming weekend so maybe I can finish it off.

I'm a big series fan and actually haven't finished any of the games pre-Wind Waker lol. But I've finished almost every game from Wind Waker onwards (just not the bad DS games).

The first two games hold a special place in my heart. They were two of the earliest games I ever played, and made a huge impression on shaping my gaming tastes early on. I still like to go back to them from time to time to rediscover that magic. I'd love a proper sequel to AoL someday...

Back
Top Bottom