• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Using the Switch Announcement Trailer as a Template: Predict What Games Are Featured for the Switch 2 Announcement

I think if they went with Switch Snap as a final name, it wouldn't just be named after the magnetic attachments but a variety of things:
  • instant loading / quick resume (in a Snap)
  • camera features (take a Snap)
  • easy to use (it's a Snap)
  • a lively and fun console (adds a Snap to it)
So such a name would be incorporated in all of the marketing to add some kind of thematic flair.
Hi!
This sounds reasonable, yes. I did not think about it further or didn't know about the versatility of the word.

I think the first-party ones will be:
  • New 3D Mario announced for a launch
  • Mario Kart X releasing within a few months of launch
  • Luigi's Mansion 4 to release October 2025.
  • BOTW and TOTK will get next-gen patches, available at launch for free for those with NSO, $10 for those who don't.
  • New Fire Emblem to come in 2025 (not a remake of 4)
  • Animal Crossing noted to be in development
  • Pikmin 5 also noted to be in development (I think (more hope I guess.) they'll see the breakout of this one on Switch as a chance to make it much bigger, it's so merchandisable that it's be silly if they didn't).
For third parties:
  • Dragon Quest XII gets its first proper trailer, III remake gets one too. DQXII will be given an early 2026 date for Switch 2.
  • Yakuza (yes all of the modern ones) is getting ported to Switch 2. Surely SEGA won't miss the gravy train this time.
  • Persona 3 Reload will release at launch with Switch 2.
  • SEGA announces all of their Super Games are coming to Switch 2.
  • Street Fighter VI will be a launch title, there'll be some special costumes or character for Switch 2 users.
  • Resident Evil Village and 4 Remake are coming over to Switch 2.
  • Microsoft will pop up, announcing that Fallout 4 and Fallout 76, as well as Sea of Thieves will come to Switch 2.

If I were Nintendo, I'd avoid showing Tears of the Kingdom or Breath of the Wild in the announcement trailer to avoid the Wii U confusion of "how is this different from the Wii (Switch) I already own?". Put backwards compatibility in the press release and talk about an enhanced port closer to launch.

As for what they would show instead, I think a big launch year exclusive with mass-market appeal (like 3D Mario) and the big "yes, you can play this game on our system" showcase that was Skyrim (Call of Duty? Something Rockstar or Ubisoft like Assassin's Creed?) are likely.

I sincerely hope that Nintendo understands how important the amazing year of 2017 was for the overall momentum of the Switch and plans to repeat that for the successor. I believe there are a couple of key kind of games they need to do that and a few additional important points they want to hit on top of those.

1. An online game.

When the original Switch launched, the online play on it was free. Nintendo Switch Online launched only after a year, in 2018. NSO currently has a decent amount of subscribers, and I believe Nintendo wants to keep it so. Thus it is very important to have a product that incentivizes people to keep their NSO subscription early on in the life span of the successor.

Splatoon 4 seems a bit too soon, Mario Kart 9 is certainly a strong contender, Smash seems unlikely, new IP would be interesting but risky.

2. "AAA" Nintendo game that appeals to a large audience

I'm talking about the kind of Nintendo game that sells in the tens of millions with ease. Zelda is out of the race here, thanks to TotK. It's just too close. 3D Mario is probably the most likely option. Something like Animal Crossing could work too, but for some reason it just doesn't feel like a launch year game to me.

3. A core game(s) for the enthusiasts.

It's important to have something for this audience, as they drive a lot of the narrative around the console on the internet.

A Monolith Soft game and/or Metroid Prime 4(cross-gen?) seem the most likely candidates. I know, Future Redeemed is only a year old, but the main game itself, Xenoblade 3, released in the summer of 2022. Assuming it would launch late 2025, that would be three and a half years of development time, and Monolith Soft works fast.

4. New small-to-AA IP like what ARMS was to the Switch.

Even if said game flops, I believe it's important to have something that makes the platform feel fresh and young.

5. Late and future third party ports that could not run on the Switch. The "Skyrim moment" for the successor if you will.

Games like Baldurs Gate 3 and Elden Ring come to mind.

6. On top of these, if I were Nintendo, I'd be courting Capcom to release Monster Hunter Wilds on the successor, no matter the cost. The release date for the game seems to somewhat match up with the release of the successor, and having a Monster Hunter game as a launch title would be huge for the eastern audience and overall momentum of the system in the region.
Rather than focus too much on what exactly all the games will be, I think a list like this makes a lot of sense - the key thing about 2017 is that it had something for pretty much everyone, maybe leaning a little harder on the enthusiast or enthusiast/large audience Nintendo game crowd (which is pretty typical for a console launch). Especially with games shown at the Reveal Event, even if some didn't come out until well after the console launched - games like Octopath, SMTV, Xenoblade 2, and BOTW were there and all fit into that category.

Even if Monolith's next game is a year or two away after system launch, I think it'll show up in the Showcase Event for this exact reason.

-3D Mario, launch title.
-Astral Chain 2, 2025.
-New casual IP, launch title.
-2D-3D Donkey Kong, 2025.
-New Xenoblade, teaser trailer with no date, a brand new universe for Monolith and Xenoblade.
-a slate of enhaced Switch game, 4k 60fps, new SKU (Botw, Bayonetta trilogy, Xenoblade trilogy).
-a bunch of "I can believe this is gonna be on Switch 2" third party game (Mh Wilds, RDR2, Metaphor Phantazio, P6, BG 3).
-Ishiara shows up, Pokémon ZA will have a Switch 2 version, the tenth Pokémon generation will be developed on Switch 2 (no show).
-one more thing....Mario Kart 9, with a brand new career mode, 16 online playerstons of tracks and characters, Holiday 2025.
-fresh haircut for Koizumi.

If it's like the first Switch trailer I don't think Dragon Quest XII will be there, but holy shit if that's how we see the first couple of seconds of gameplay I'll poop my pants.

SF6 and Tekken 8 would be great, assuming Switch 2 will come with improved online... Maybe EA FC that's actually the non-Legacy version.

For first parties I'd love to see Mario, Mario Kart, new party game IP, and Animal Crossing. Some single player adventure/RPG thing would be good but I honestly don't know what they'd show there

If we got a similar marketing strategy with a trailer before an event like the Switch in 2017, I can see them releasing a different trailer, this time full of games showcasing in the new console, since we already know the concept of an hybrid and they don't need to focus on that, but the games. I can see them showing a variety of games from different genres and developers:

—The new 3D Mario
—Breath of the Wild Remaster
—Metroid Prime 4
—The new Mario Kart
—Ring Fit Sequel
—GTA6 (it will be the Skyrim moment)
—Monster Hunter Wilds
—Assassin's Creed
—Just Dance
—Fortnite
—Minecraft
—FIFA (or whatever is called now)
—Final Fantasy XVI or/and VII Remake

The concept already sold 140 millons, this time they need to give the players confidence that this new console will have games since day one, not just Nintendo games but enough to get a Nintendo fan hyped. Someone should please update that Fifth Element gif for the Switch successor hype season

• New 3D Mario
  • New Mario Kart
  • new Monolith Soft Game
  • Elden Ring
  • Genshin Impact and Honkai star Rail
  • Fifa
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Final Fantasy 7R

You people really need to re-watch the actual announcement trailer again. It had 6 games featured on it. It wasn't E3, lol. The games blowout occurred months later in January.

When it comes to third party releases the focus should not be on old ports but if they can get a new game like Assassin's creed, GTA or Monster hunter showing up on the reveal. If they can show that Switch 2 will get current gen games that would be a massive hype for the system.

Back
Top Bottom