• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News US Senate unanimously passes Sunshine Protection Act, making Daylight Savings Time permanent

WestEgg

King of the Krocs
Administrator
Pronouns
he/him

A couple things to note:
  • This is not yet law until signed
  • This may not take effect until next year, meaning you aren’t necessarily done changing your clocks if you live in the US.

Send that shit to the House of Reps and get it signed.

It's BEEN time to retire this archaic thing.

Ontario passed a bill to make DST permanent once New York and Quebec also make plans to do the same.

Don't fuck it up, Legault

No more changing clocks? Good!

Making DST permanent instead of Standard Time? Bad!

Maybe this is unpopular, but I'll take a slightly shorter summer day if it means the sun rises before 8 during the winter. The late rising sun is already bad enough during standard time winter.

Maybe this is unpopular, but I'll take a slightly shorter summer day if it means the sun rises before 8 during the winter. The late rising sun is already bad enough during standard time winter.
Here the sun is down at like 4:30 pm in the depths of winter. Get THAT the HECK outta here

I'll take that over going to work in total darkness. It sucks that darn much.
I work from home, so for me, I would much rather have some sunlight once I'm done work so it's not just immediately night time. I can understand that driving to work in the dark would also suck, though!

This is great for us on the western edge of the time zone in northern areas. Already having sun come up after 8 and then down before 5, so no difference to me. I’ll take the extra light in the dead of winter on the back end. I had a job where I worked in place with no windows (a safety reason) and in winter, if we didn’t go outside for lunch, we could literally go a week without seeing daylight. So sign me up. Most importantly this keeps the 10 PM sundown in the summer.

Maybe it's weird but yeah. Losing an hour sucks but the feeling of getting an extra hour is great. It's always a nice surprise for me.
I think half a year of an extra hour of sunlight would be waaaay better than one extra hour of sleep but maybe that's just me

It's an unpopular opinion I'll defend to the grave.

I'm just saying, Arizona and Hawaii had the right idea - stop DST, go permanent Standard Time. The blueprint is right there!

I'll fight by your side.

Damn the idea of making the summer time standard the norm. Some of us have to walk or bike to work in the morning, and you want to make us do that in the even colder and darker weather than we already have to put up with in winter? Fuck that.

It is interesting that Summer Time seems so popular in the US. I think in middle europe most people want to change it so we have the standard time for the whole year. Wasn‘t even the EU debating about that a few years ago?

It is interesting that Summer Time seems so popular in the US. I think in middle europe most people want to change it so we have the standard time for the whole year. Wasn‘t even the EU debating about that a few years ago?

EU agreed to get rid of it but then other more important world issues took place and they were last stuck arguing over whether to keep summer or winter times, with some nations wanting one or the other, and some wanting to keep switching.

It's an unpopular opinion I'll defend to the grave.

I'm just saying, Arizona and Hawaii had the right idea - stop DST, go permanent Standard Time. The blueprint is right there!
I'll fight by your side.

Damn the idea of making the summer time standard the norm. Some of us have to walk or bike to work in the morning, and you want to make us do that in the even colder and darker weather than we already have to put up with in winter? Fuck that.
axe-lotr.gif

EU agreed to get rid of it but then other more important world issues took place and they were last stuck arguing over whether to keep summer or winter times, with some nations wanting one or the other, and some wanting to keep switching.
Hmm in Switzerland I think most are in favor to get rid of Summertime. But in the end we‘ll do the same as in the EU if they decide to change something. It would be very non-sensical to have a different timezone for a country literally placed in middle of the EU.

Saskatchewan has been a province for just over 100 years and in that time we've done exactly two things correctly: Tommy Douglas, and never adopting DST in the first place.

I honestly don’t care which one we pick, I’m just so glad to be done with changing the clocks back and forth. More light at night is cool though.

Saskatchewan has been a province for just over 100 years and in that time we've done exactly two things correctly: Tommy Douglas, and never adopting DST in the first place.
Don't forget, Wade Wilson was born in Regina.

Under standard time, I get a total of about 30 minutes of opportunity to see sunshine on weekdays during the winter. I'm glad they're getting rid of standard. I think the darkness messes with me by the end of winter and I don't even live that far north anymore.

I start work at 10am so hell nah. Gimme that extra hour of sunlight in the evening

Live in Ontario, I think we already passed a bill saying we will follow suit as soon as NYC and Quebec make the switch. Hopefully Legault makes the right decision.

I'm glad this hasn't happened in Europe yet, I prefer winter time but under current plans my country is set to adopt summer time. I hope these plans are either changed or dropped entirely

I wish my country did that. I don't care which one you choose just pick one, having to change my entire circadian clock every 6 months fucking blows.

Here's another vote for permanent Standard Time! It's cold af in the winter here in Ontario. What's the point of extending daylight in the winter during that time? We're just going to be indoors anyways. Just to travel from one indoor area to another indoor area and have a little sunlight?

Also, I'd rather wake up as the sun is rising compared to waking up in darkness.

Back
Top Bottom