• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Updated sales numbers for Switch titles: MK8D (38.74M), ACNH (34.85M), Skyward Sword HD (3.60M), and more + Switch HW at 92.87M LTD

Most important one to the sales topic of the thread is that Luigi’s Mansion 3 has in fact passed 10m units. It’ll go even further due to the October Halloween boost, so i’m sure we’ll get the full number next year.

unknown.png

Almost 20 million games that are over a year old sold in six months for a single system by a single developer. It really does print money.

1.6 mil for Super Mario Party of all things...it's still so funny to me.
It tracks, honestly. The only couch multiplayer game on that list with more widespread appeal is Mario Kart. If you want a second game to play when friends are over, you get Mario Party.

[EDIT: Yes, there's Smash. Smash, in my experience, skews a bit harder towards enthusiasts but does very, very well with them while still doing decently with the more mainstream crowd (especially children). I might've been wrong to identify Mario Party as having a broader appeal, but they serve different purposes.]

Also, having quite a few friends that own a Switch but are by no means enthusiasts - SMP has way, way better word of mouth than you think.

Most important one to the sales topic of the thread is that Luigi’s Mansion 3 has in fact passed 10m units. It’ll go even further due to the October Halloween boost, so i’m sure we’ll get the full number next year.

unknown.png
Splatoon 3 is making more and more sense. At this rate, Splatoon 2 won't have just fallen outside the top 10 by the time the sequel launches next year (it's currently 9th with Ring Fit and NSMBU DX being locks to pass it), but Pokemon BDSP and Mario Party Superstars may pass it as well. If Pokemon Legends ends up on the high side of its potential, Splatoon 2 could end up down at 14th.

Ironic that the game prioritizing its online multiplayer experience seems to have dropped off the most in active sales, but Nintendo didn't really go the live service route. Splatoon 3's announcement didn't help, but 2's legs were always behind the other evergreens. At this point I wonder if it's more accurate to say it's an evergreen in Japan but not internationally.

unknown.png
This section alone contributes to 19.4 million units of first-party software. All of em didn't launch in Q2.
This reaffirm why Nintendo doesn't drop prices that fast. And Luigi selling over 10 Million LTD is just fantastic news

Luigi's Mansion becoming a tentpole Nintendo franchise was a twist I did not see coming

Then again Super Mario Party selling almost 17 million copies is almost more shocking, I don't think any previous Mario Parties sold even half that

Luigi's Mansion becoming a tentpole Nintendo franchise was a twist I did not see coming

Then again Super Mario Party selling almost 17 million copies is almost more shocking, I don't think any previous Mario Parties sold even half that
That one especially pains me because the older ones are so much better and the newest looks to be so much better too but probably won't sell half as well 😔

1.6 mil for Super Mario Party of all things...it's still so funny to me.
Hell yeah. It selling bigger than Odyssey, same as Pokémon Sword and Shield, and almost the same as BotW and Smash is really really something.

PS: if there's any sequel on the Switch era that can oversell its predecessor is Super Mario Odyssey 2 and Splatoon 3.
I don't see BotW2 selling as much as the original, even tho it'll be big(20m+), as well as Mario Kart Next for sure is not outselling 8 DX.
But I can definitely see Splatoon 3 going above 15m, and I can see Odyssey 2 going to 30(okay that's definitely bold but yeah I just feel it). Also Pokémon Legends Arceous can do 20m, which in single SKU terms would be the highest selling Pokémon ever I guess?

Last edited:
I think Odyssey deserves a sequel that outsells it. And I'm not really salty that it would happen. Being front loaded on a huuuuuge install base, after a movie and after 5 years+ with no new 3D Mario, plus being leggy with the new model and hopefully multiplayer/online, heavy marketing, post launch support and WoM.

Hell yeah. It selling bigger than Odyssey, same as Pokémon Sword and Shield, and almost the same as BotW and Smash is really really something.

PS: if there's any sequel on the Switch era that can oversell its predecessor is Super Mario Odyssey 2 and Splatoon 3.
I don't see BotW2 selling as much as the original, even tho it'll be big(20m+), as well as Mario Kart Next for sure is not outselling 8 DX.
But I can definitely see Splatoon 3 going above 15m, and I can see Odyssey 2 going to 30(okay that's definitely bold but yeah I just feel it). Also Pokémon Legends Arceous can do 20m, which in single SKU terms would be the highest selling Pokémon ever I guess?
Odyssey 2 wouldn't outsell 1 on the same console. You can look at the drop off between Galaxy 1 and 2 and see that.

I apologize, as I am using google translate for the content of the message

Thanks to Pierre485_

• With the 3.83M of Switches sold in the quarter from July to September representing 44% less than in the same period of the previous year, Wii will be surpassed in the following quarter
FDVNMeaX0AAwPGP

FDVNZWwXIAQ9gDG

• Only 18% of the consoles sold in the quarter are the Switch Lite version, about 680K, while the Standard model sold 3.14M
FDVOLBgXEAADOVO

FDVOTobWQAEG4ca

• Although it may not seem like it, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was Nintendo's second best-selling game in the quarter with 1.66M, enough to dethrone Mario Kart Wii (37.38M) and now be the best-selling of the saga with 38.74M
FDVPh0sWYAM6Beb

FDVPkX8WUAMm_xT
FDVPzLKWQAAr7jJ

• Animal Crossing: New Horizon added 960K copies sold in the quarter, curiously the one in which it has sold the least, to total 34.85M, more than all previous deliveries combined.
FDVQT-MXoAAv-Sy

FDVQWyMXoAMi7N1
FDVQZnIXoAQRAFy

• The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD was the best-selling Nintendo game of the quarter with 3.6M, very close to the total sales of the Wii version
FDVQuNEWQAcxKRH

• Another Port / Remaster that has sold more on Switch than on its original console is Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, with the 770K for the quarter reaching 7.45M in total, beating Super Mario Maker 2 within the same console.
FDVRiZdXIAMdp2a

FDVRl3nWYAMrGL8
FDVRomlXsAQc-L6

• Super Smash Bros Ultimate maintains a good sales rhythm, with the 940K for this period reaching 25.71M, the best-selling by much of the series, marking the end of the support or additional content that it had throughout its life.
FDVShWBXsAA0Kih

FDVSlBmWEAM6BsP

• Pokémon Sword | Shield reached 22.64M worldwide accounting for 790K in the quarter, its sales are close to the numbers of the second generation, it is incredible that a Pokémon maintains good legs.
FDVTPNzXoAEiW9X

FDVTRRRXsAEZy0E
FDVTmM_WQAEChpH

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild managed to sell 930K in the quarter, increasing the numbers for the game in the best-selling saga to 24.13M, if we were surprised with the legs of Pokémon, those of this Zelda are crazy.
FDVUG9jX0AAEVeS

FDVUJu1WUAAKWE1

• Switch has made several games the best-selling of its franchises, one of them is Super Mario Odyssey, which at 21.95M is the best-selling plumber's 3D game, 550K in the quarter.
FDVUo0OXIAQgE8v

FDVUvUKWQAILvjf

• Another similar case is Super Mario Party, the best seller with 16.48M (760K in the quarter), they have "cut off his legs" with the new installment.
FDVVKNyXMAUlE0G

FDVVMp5XsAEnUVj

• Ring Fit Adventure with its 950K in the quarter reached 12.21M in total
FDVVwV-WQAMdpWp

FDVV8JFWQAEyY6L

• One that will happen the same as Super Mario Party is Splatoon 2, its sequel announced, this quarter it managed to sell 260K to reach 13.83M more than double that of its first edition (4.95M)
FDVWPvlXEAQDWMa

• New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe has almost doubled the sales of the original version, 11.48M vs 5.81M, this quarter it managed to sell 1.04M
FDVWttdXoAEM3Fa

• Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu | Eeve sold 230K in the quarter to reach 12.68M in total
FDVW-9qXEAEDP9Z

• New Pokémon Snap adds 120K in its second quarter on the market, reached 2.19M outside of Japan
FDVXTcLWEAAEKAU

• Mario Golf Super Rush is now the best-selling of the series, 600K in the quarter and 1.94M worldwide.
FDVXmK7WQAA-xXb

• Miitopia reached 1.37M (330K in the quarter), thus exceeding the 3DS version that had 1.18M
  • 41 Games distributed by Nintendo have already reached at least 1 Million copies sold.
  • Switch has sold 681M of games, in this quarter they have been 48.6M.
  • 3DS reached 387.42M of games sold (previously 386.48M).
  • Nintendo has lowered its sales forecast from 25.5M to 24M in the fiscal year.
  • On the other hand, in Software it went from 190M to 200M.
  • WiiU Software sales were updated by 103.42M (30K +)
FDVZjbHX0AIrt-_

FDVaA7jXEAIX4JW

FDVangCXIAAgVMf

FDXbED1XoAY6eTT

FDXaGbaXsAUafhK

FDXaIz7XEAYTAxa

It's just surprising overall. I think it's a good MP game but doesn't have the staying power of some of the older ones. Glad to see one of the better ones be successful though and break records, Superstars can be even bigger...especially with the good word of mouth and solid online!

Hudson Soft managed to capitalize on the Wii and DS audiences before disbanding, going out with a bang. Mario Party 8 and Mario Party DS did 8.9 and 9.3 million, respectively.

Props to @acezam for beating me to the punch with the charts; I checked the old thread at Era before scrolling and felt silly when I saw the same data here :p
That one especially pains me because the older ones are so much better and the newest looks to be so much better too but probably won't sell half as well 😔
Superstars should be good to do at least half as well as Super, I think. Most the old-style games didn't see significant drop off for sequels on the same console, and there's been more time for the series to breathe and more differentiating Superstars from Super than 1-7 from each other.

Ring Fit Adventure is selling amazingly for a new IP, it should pass 20 million lifetime, which few would've considered possible back when it was announced to a great deal of scepticism.
Splatoon 2 has now sold over 2.5 times the first Splatoon, very healthy growth for a young IP.

Last edited:
Ring Fit Adventure is selling amazingly for a new IP, it should pass 20 million lifetime, which few would've considered possible back when it was announced to a great deal of scepticism.
Splatoon 2 has not sold over 2.5 times the first Splatoon, very healthy growth for a young IP.
Hey welcome to the site Curl, glad you could join us 😁

Back
Top Bottom