• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Unity: John Riccitiello will retire as President, CEO, Chairman and a member of the Company’s Board of Directors

oomoepoo

#TheProcessBroke
Pronouns
He/Him
Nobody has seen that coming, I bet.

John Riccitiello is out from Unity, effective immediately. Although the fact he's retiring from basically everything is a bit surprising.
James M. Whitehurst, a previous Senior Advisor at IBM, will serve as interim chairman.

Unity's little stunt may have killed the company, somebody's head needed to roll.

Hopefully the folks working there who had nothing or little to do with this decision don't also lose their jobs, but I'm not optimistic about the company's future prospects. We will see if they earn any goodwill before most of the folks with in-development games start their next project.

Ah, I see John Riccitiello is in the finding out stage.

I wonder where he trips upward into. Sony has an opening. Time for corporate executive musical chairs except the song is just the Price is Right lose horn on repeat.

Yeah, Riccitiello had probably little to nothing to do with the whole monetisation fiasco, as it was a decision by the board.

Being a member of the board, he absolutely had more than little to nothing to do with the fiasco. But obviously it wasnt his decision alone, but being the president it was always going to be him that was gonna get the slap.

But he was never really likeable anyway so I'm not really going to shed a tear for him anyway.

Reminder that Suda 51 named a major No More Heroes villain after him for being such a massive prick back when Grasshopper worked with EA in the PS360 era.

I’m not the mod knowledgeable in business but I have this lingering feeling that this solves nothing.

At least we don't have to look at his infuriatingly smug portrait photos anymore. Watch them bring on Actual Satan as the next CEO though :p .

It's a welcome change, but the board's still the same so don't think Unity is done putting it's foot in it's mouth for a while yet.

At least we don't have to look at his infuriatingly smug portrait photos anymore. Watch them bring on Actual Satan as the next CEO though :p .

It's a welcome change, but the board's still the same so don't think Unity is done putting it's foot in it's mouth for a while yet.
Hopefully the fact they had to use a CEO as an scapegoat after a money losing fiasco opens their eyes.

But then again, we have study cases like Twitter/X where the people in charge of the decision making process just don’t care or are too intellectually drowned in their egi

CqibUzt.jpg

veWcaSI.jpg

RIP Bozo

While he may not have held the gun, he was in the room when the trigger was pulled.

Yeah, Riccitiello had probably little to nothing to do with the whole monetisation fiasco, as it was a decision by the board.

That’s very very very unlikely. The board is there to do control. Their main point of influence is this, replacing the CEO. They’re not designing policy, they’re approving policy.

This is Riccitiello’s baby and his idea. The current direction is his and his alone.

That’s very very very unlikely. The board is there to do control. Their main point of influence is this, replacing the CEO. They’re not designing policy, they’re approving policy.

This is Riccitiello’s baby and his idea. The current direction is his and his alone.

Hm, nah.

You should read either that tweet or the video from YongYea. Or both.

I have little hope this changes anything. The harsh truth is that, after everything that happened, in the end Unity has successfully implemented the install fee (now "run time fee"). The ones in charge have also risen prices and they've made pretty clear that the business is failing, that they don't understand the gaming industry and that they haven't cared about the "engine" part of the company in years. Unity has been turned into an economic construct to give an appearance of exponential growth, something that could have never been achieved just by making an engine. But such growth is impossible in a sustained manner, specially if you don't invest into developing your main product at a similar rate....and instead of doing that Unity's been throwing money in mindless acquisitions, just to inflate that exponential growth in the most artificial way possible.

The worst part of all this story is that it's shown how Unity is now little more than a tool to generate money for the shareholders. The engine has been demoted to being a second-class citizen under their more profitable ad services, something that they won't doubt to squeeze to serve the company's other primary goals.

Just ask yourselves why, after all the backlash, after having to go back and allowing devs to choose between a revenue share or install fees...after all that, why do they still keep the install fee option alive? They have won, they successfully created that concept and put it into the ToS, now it's a matter of time before they decide to make it the only option, or worse yet, use it as a nuclear option to get everyone to agree to a higher shared revenue than the 2.5% they have today,

Riccitiello hasn't been sent off with a door slam, he's probably been given hero treatment by the board behind closed doors. Him leaving changes nothing.

Hm, nah.

You should read either that tweet or the video from YongYea. Or both.
I have read those and they are pretty pretty dumb.

What corporate firm doesn’t have private equity on the board. It’s a really stupid tweet.

And no Reddit rando knows what goes on in the boardroom that’s laughable.

And the guy has been saying stuff like this before he even went to work for unity. This is his personal belief, and you don’t need anyone else to blame.

Either way Unity has a lot more it needs to do to win back the trust of it's development community. Firing the CEO was step one regardless of how much he was involved with the install fee idea.

Either way Unity has a lot more it needs to do to win back the trust of it's development community. Firing the CEO was step one regardless of how much he was involved with the install fee idea.
I actually think there isn't a lot Unity can do anymore. They shown they walk back agreements whenever they want, so their word doesn't mean much anymore. The situation feels like it can't be fixed anymore.

I actually think there isn't a lot Unity can do anymore. They shown they walk back agreements whenever they want, so their word doesn't mean much anymore. The situation feels like it can't be fixed anymore.
Agreed. As we say here, trust goes by horse but comes by foot.

Whoever replaces him has their work cut out for them. Certainly not an envyable position.

Back
Top Bottom