• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Unicorn overlord sells over 500k

Lugia667

Gerudo
Pronouns
He/Him

We loved Vanillaware's stunning tactical RPG Unicorn Overlord when it marched onto Switch last month and it looks like quite a few others did too as Atlus has announced that the game has now sold over 500,000 copies worldwide.

Revealed in an updated accolades trailer (only available in Japanese, for the time being) Alain and co. might still be a little way off hitting the big one milly, but the 500K figure is nothing to be scoffed at — particularly for a new IP in a genre that often proves as divisive as tactical RPGs. On the Atlus website, the publisher expressed its "deepest gratitude" to all those who have supported the project up to this point

Ten years and well worth it.

there will never be a PC version, Kamitani wins again.

Great strategy game. It has its flaws (the main story is nothing you haven’t seen a dozen times before and the endless thirst over the women in the cast is just obnoxious, not to mention the one older woman who for some reason needs to take a younger form running around in her underwear because reasons). But considering its game mechanics are an entirely new take on things, I thoroughly enjoyed setting up units and watching the strategy of their active and passive skills combine and play out each time. There’s a lot to do and a lot to enjoy, plenty of side quests worth doing and all the non-essential stuff still pours into making the army stronger, so nothing feels like busywork. I like that. It’s a 50 hour game with good mechanics and music and ended when it felt like it should for me.

It's not found its grave yet!

The game didn't click with me at first but really enjoying it now.

It's good for this type of game. Aso triangel strategy was 200K after 2 weeks and 1 million after 8th months, but it was also released on PC

Triangle strategy was over 800k in 2 weeks and only "over 1m" after the steam release, because as it turns out, the major market for basically all the games coming from team asano is on Switch and not PC, even as some have convinced themselves that actually everyone and everything does great on steam.

is that actually good? i can't really tell.

i think Triangle Strategy was 1 million after 2 weeks right, as an SRPG of likely similar budget
It's a VanillaWare game and an Atlus joint. So yes. It's very good. It's a much more immediate success than 13 Sentinels for example, which wasn't a simultaneous worldwide release so it's a bit apples to oranges, but that took more than 2 years from its Japanese release and more than 1 year from its North American and Europe release to hit 500k. So this is actually a good result.

And I helped!

but haven't started it yet because I still haven't finished the first act of Baldur's Gate 3

is that actually good? i can't really tell.

i think Triangle Strategy was 1 million after 2 weeks right, as an SRPG of likely similar budget
Dunno if they would be bragging if it wasn’t good

For example Square hasn’t made a statement on rebirth sales

Great numbers for a tactical game, especially one more like Ogre Battle than the usual tactical style. I'm still not done yet but it's excellent and well worth it if you're interested!

Triangle strategy was over 800k in 2 weeks and only "over 1m" after the steam release, because as it turns out, the major market for basically all the games coming from team asano is on Switch and not PC, even as some have convinced themselves that actually everyone and everything does great on steam.
So screw those 200k right?

That’s only like 6 million usd or so if we account for sales.

And 200k who may not have palyed it otherwise.

Why ever port to steam again when you can just burn money. It’s a fun hobby

20% of sales is not marginal.

That’s big portion of sales.

Excellent news! It was a great decision to reveal this during a Direct rather then dropping it on Atlus' YouTube channel. Hopefully this means we'll see the rest of Atlus' Vanillaware games on the Switch and Marvelous will join the party with Muramasa Rebirth.
So screw those 200k right?

That’s only like 6 million usd or so if we account for sales.

And 200k who may not have palyed it otherwise.

Why ever port to steam again when you can just burn money. It’s a fun hobby

20% of sales is not marginal.

That’s big portion of sales.
What? He's not saying that at all.

Also I doubt the Switch version stopped selling at 800K after two weeks. It wouldn't surprise me if at least half of the additional 200K that brought the total over a million were also on Switch.

What? He's not saying that at all..
No that’s he is , he’s just not stating it or didn’t know what some words meant.

“Also I doubt the Switch version stopped selling at 800K after two weeks. It wouldn't surprise me if at least half of the additional 200K that brought the total over a million were also on Switch.”

Likewise I doubt steam stopped either and the game has passed a million, so I said 200k accounting for that as steam has likely hit that.

Steam is a significant audience that really increased the success of almost every game that’s ported, it’s idiotic not too

No that’s he is , he’s just not stating it or didn’t know what some words meant.

“Also I doubt the Switch version stopped selling at 800K after two weeks. It wouldn't surprise me if at least half of the additional 200K that brought the total over a million were also on Switch.”

Likewise I doubt steam stopped either and the game has passed a million, so I said 200k accounting for that as steam has likely hit that.

Steam is a significant audience that really increased the success of almost every game that’s ported, it’s idiotic not too
Nintendo gamers are missing out on a lot more games than PC gamers ever will. Life is unfair.

If I had known this game was going to have a low print run on Switch I would have pre-ordered it. I finally managed get a physical copy last Friday and I've been playing the hell out of it. I haven't played many Vanillaware games before, but this game really won me over. As a fan of SPRGs I'm happy to see Fire Emblem as well as new IPs like Triangle Strategy and Unicorn Overlord succeed.

Steam is serious business. You're definitely putting words in his mouth in both of your posts.

As for the actual sales we dont know how much it sold on steam but the estimates as of right now in 2024 ,a year and a half since the 1M benchmark, between different trackers are that it has between 66-122k units sold on steam. So unless all the trackers are massively wrong, it's nowhere near 200k on steam even 17 months after the milestone.

For the record, I think the games should release on steam but clearly they're not massively succesful on the platform but that's ok - because all games does not need to be succesful everywhere but adding a userbase elsewhere is always good for the future. More Asano games to the people!

Back
Top Bottom