• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News U.S. Copyright Office rules that optical drive self-repair is allowed.

Abzeronow

Koopa
Pronouns
he/him

In welcome DMCA news, the Copyright Office has ruled that console owners can repair optical drives on their game consoles. Digital devices like the PS5 digital are not covered under this. Great news for GameCube and Wii owners (as well as those with other consoles too).

That wasn't allowed? Last time I had a console issue (sega saturn), I just took it a local shop to fix it lol

It would violate your warranty
That's not the same thing though. That just means they aren't under obligation to repair it if you've been deliberately futzing with it.

This... This wasn't a thing yet? Are the drives on the Series X and PS5 linked to the motherboard?

It would violate your warranty
This isn’t about warranties. It is illegal to modify DRM-bearing components by law (DMCA). The US Copyright Office has just now made an exception for repairing failing optical drives (under certain conditions).

I haven't used an optical drive for anything since Spider-Man when it came with my PS4 a few years ago. Before that.... Probably.... Nintendo Land? 🤔

Back
Top Bottom