• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion Remastered |ST| Now with more frames than the Turok franchise has games!

Would you buy a Turok: Rage Wars Remaster?

• Total voters

TheMoon

(not a sphere)
Pronouns
He/Him
turok3otifecj.jpg

HD Remaster Developed & Published By: Nightdive Studios
Physical Version Publisher: Limited Run Games <- this is not announced but let's not pretend it's not happening like with every Nightdive release
Original Game By: Iguana Entertainment & Acclaim
Genre: Half-Like

Note: There was some confusion regarding the early release version on Switch having to wait for the day-1 patch that launches with the November 30 release from official channels. That patch actually did already release for the EU/AU Switch version a few days into the early release. Once the game is fully out, everyone is playing the same version, as per a Nightdive dev in the announcement thread on Era

Release: November 14, 2023 (Nintendo Switch EU/AU) | November 30, 2023 (Nintendo Switch NA, PS, Xbox)
Original N64 Release: September 2000
Nintendo eShop NA | EU | AU | NZ | JP
PSN | Xbox | GOG

sniper_one_eye.gif

Original Y2K-af game description:
Acclaim backs up their truck and unloads just about every trick imaginable into the final N64 instalment in this hit series. Long time gamers know that the biggest, feature-richest Paks often come out late in a platform's life cycle, when heroic developers toss every trick they've learned into slam-bang finales. Such is the case with Turok 3, a Pak packed to the rafters with jumbo environments, garrulous voice samples, many multiplayer options and, of course, some massive weapons.Turok 3 has eight multiplayer modes on top of a five-stage adventure mode that, Castlevania-style, features two controllable characters. Joseph Fireseed, the younger brother of Turok 2's Joshua Fireseed, can squeeze in small places and takes the stealthy route with a pair of night-vision goggles. Danielle Fireseed, Joshua's big sister, embraces the more conventional action-heroine role. She can reach high places with an Energy Grapple. While you can play the game to the end with either character, about 20 percent of the levels will be accessible only by one character or the other. Turok 3 does a good job of keeping you informed about your next objective, but won't give everything away - you'll need to poke around for a while before exclaiming "Aha!". Although each character receives the same eight basic weapons, those will upgrade differently, so Joseph and Danielle will end up with eight unique upgrades. Yes, the Cerebral Bore is back, but even more mind-blowing is the PSG, which simultaneously obliterates every evildoer in sight and bends and twists your reality like multiple trips on a roller coaster. Multiplayer modes include Bloodlust (most kills), Capture the Flag, Last Stand (win the most rounds) and Colour Tag (win over rivals). In Golden Arrow mode, your object is to hold the arrow as long as possible - but unfortunately (and painfully) for you, weapon use is banned while you have it. In Monkey Tag, one poor unarmed soul tries as hard as possible not to get tagged. But, of course, Turok 3 brandishes a million multiplayer options for weapons and length of battle. You can customise the intelligence and defences of your own character as well as CPU-controlled bots.

raptor_jumps.gif

Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion is a faithful restoration of the classic first-person shooter originally released in 2000 for the Nintendo 64, upgraded through Nightdive Studios' proprietary KEX Engine for play on modern gaming devices with up to a 4K resolution at 120 frames per second. It joins Nightdive Studios, Universal Games, and Digital Platforms' popular Turok and Turok 2: Seeds of Evil remasters, capping off the trilogy. Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion features upgraded gameplay, high-resolution textures, enhanced lighting and rendering, and support for console gamepads with platform-specific features.

Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion is the first title from Nightdive Studios to use the latest version KEX engine, which utilizes an improved renderer to achieve a higher tier of visual fidelity across 3D models, textures, and graphical effects.

In Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion, players choose between dual protagonists Joseph and Danielle Fireseed, siblings of Turok 2: Seeds of Evil protagonist Joshua Fireseed. Together, they must defeat the titular antagonist Oblivion and its followers, the Flesh Eaters, after the supposed demise of their brother at its hands.

Key Features
  • A remastered version of the 2000 classic, available for the first time since its Nintendo 64 release.
  • Up to 4K 120 frames per second performance on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. (60fps on Switch)
  • Advanced rendering features, including anti-aliasing, bloom, ambient occlusion, dynamic shadows, and motion blur.
  • Remastered environment art, character models, and updated weapon models.
  • Optional motion / gyro controls for Switch and rumble.
  • Trophies and Achievements on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC (Steam).

Cheats!

Classic Review:

DF Retro on the original N64 version:

Graphics comparison:

Last edited:
One thing I dislike quite a lot with every single Nightdive release so far : You can NEVER preorder any of their games on any store.

Like, why ? Is there an ancient God that will swallow Earth and fart meteorites at the sun if they allow people to preorder their games ?

Never played this one. Is this more like the first game or the second? Love the former, wasn't a fan of the latter.
The game goes from A to B, there's no hub world for example. There's still secrets in the levels and you get to experience some variations in the levels depending on who you are playing with.

Game still isn't available btw, I guess it's coming in around 6 and a half hours.

Any chance they do a good discount / bundle for Turok 1/2? I wanted to gift my friend some eShop credit to buy them,

Any chance they do a good discount / bundle for Turok 1/2? I wanted to gift my friend some eShop credit to buy them,
they've not discounted them on Switch in 2 years so I wouldn't hold my breath? or alternatively simply wait out the Holiday deal season and see what happens to avoid regret.

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/turok-trilogy-bundle-switch/ (NA)
https://ec.nintendo.com/bundle_purchase_confirm?bundle=70070000020011(EU)
https://ec.nintendo.com/AU/en/bundles/70070000020011 (AU)
https://ec.nintendo.com/NZ/en/bundles/70070000020011 (NZ)

10% off until December 7 for Turoks 1+2+3

also on steam:

Last edited:
Turok 1 & 2 remasters are also 70% off/$6 each on PSN right now.
it is so baffling that they seemingly have had no interest in putting these on sale on Switch at all since 2021. they were on sale on xbox somewhat recently too.

Damn this games good, every new level the level design gets more Turok like, but never comes close to overwhelming you like 2 did. I was a bit worried with the Half Life comparisons as that was far too linear for my tastes but this really hits a sweet spot with its linear yet fairly complex level design. It actually reminds me a bit of Metroid Prime 3. Hopefully I will get enough time to finish it tomorrow.

Damn this games good, every new level the level design gets more Turok like, but never comes close to overwhelming you like 2 did. I was a bit worried with the Half Life comparisons as that was far too linear for my tastes but this really hits a sweet spot with its linear yet fairly complex level design. It actually reminds me a bit of Metroid Prime 3. Hopefully I will get enough time to finish it tomorrow.
was Half Life too linear for you that this would worry you?

was Half Life too linear for you that this would worry you?
Actually I never played Half Life, just Half Life 2 which I hated as I felt like I was just walking forwards for 15 hours. I love the stupidly complex level design that we got in the early days of 3D, I love getting lost and really having to think about how to
advance through the level. I think Turok 2 went a bit too far though even though I still think it’s amazing and Turok 3 which I just finished greatly simplifies it’s level design yet it still feels like a Turok game albeit with one foot in the past and one foot in the future.

The way Nightdive always goes above and beyond in their remasters is mind blowing.

One of the best things about playing these remasters is it feels like your playing a high end PC game from years past. The world design is obviously pretty simple, but it ends up looking extremely clean. The N64 really did have some gems that were held back by the limitations of the hardware. Many N64 games convert to high resolutions with great results, and that is without completely recreating everything. Saturn and PlayStation games just dont play as nice with the transition to HD.

what I'd like to call the "Otto Patch" just dropped and the game is on sale for 10% off for the first time right now until Feb 23!

Renamed Old Man to Otto as that was the name given to him found in an acclaim design doc

Patch Notes 1.1.0

Release: 2/16/2024 at 5 a.m. PST

• Fixed issue with FOV slider not displaying the correct value
  • Fixed scope and night vision goggle inputs when playing at 30fps
  • Weapon Wheel can not be enabled while game state is changing
  • Raptor now starts with the Razor Wind and can use the Minigun and Napalm Cannon
  • Increased Raptor Claws damage radius to be the same as the Tomahawk and Knife as well as damage the same surface types
  • Increased Joshua's movement speed to be the same as Joseph
  • The player will no longer survive when a cutscene is active and the silo countdown sequence timer runs out
  • You can no longer fire weapons if you don't have the minimum amount of required ammo
  • Fixed stuck arrows causing accumulated damage
  • Changed weapon ammo consumption: Shredder from 2 to 3, Fireswarm from 5 to 4, Sniper from 1 to 5
  • Fixed Minigun consuming more ammo than it should have
  • Cerebral Bore crosshair now flashes when you are locked on to an enemy to match the original behavior
  • Fixed Vampire Gun having infinite range. Increased speed of health drain. Fixed model animations.

• PSG changes: New Shockwave effect. Slightly increased shot delay. Removed crosshair to match n64. No longer kills all enemies in the level when it explodes.
  • Credits screen now plays multiple music tracks
  • Fixed some player collision issues
  • Fixed water fog bug when possessed enemy dies under water
  • Fixed bug with possessing an enemy while camera view is active
  • Renamed Old Man to Otto as that was the name given to him found in an acclaim design doc
  • Night Vision and Weapon Scope are deactivated when a cinema starts
  • Extended Oblivions chest mouth collision box. Oblivion's health is reduced to 1 when he enters his Regen state. Fixed bug that would cause a crash while fighting Oblivion.
  • Added menu option to change weapon on pickup
  • Fixed a save bug when the player dies
  • Fixed a bug where the game would not save after playing certain cinemas
  • Fixed a bug that would make the short ladder in the Boiler room of the level "Unexpected Help" hard to climb
  • Fixes to climbable surfaces on the ladders in the levels "Staging Area", "Power Outage", and "Seal The Breach"
  • Added lights in front of stopped subway car in "Power Outage"
  • Fixed a geometry issue in "The Breach" where you could see the sky from inside the elevator
  • Fixed minor geometry and collision issues in "To the Subway"
  • The very slow-moving platforms in "The Gauntlet" now move 40% faster, and the Death Guards in that section now lead their shots
  • Changed the warhead disarmed levers surface type from flesh to metal
  • Adjusted Oblivion Gunship intro and death animation positioning
  • Enemies that had a 1 frame "shocked" animation now have proper animations when they get brain-drilled or electrocuted

• Corrected Joshua's "scary" eyes in cinemas
  • Fixed Dani's upper body stuttering animation in the porch cinema
  • Fixed Oblivion larva not reacting to "The Light" when it's killed in the end game cinema
  • Reduced collision size of the Oblivion spinny machine that was placed in the next room right after you defeat Oblivion
  • The compys that could spawn infinitely on the ramp in "Generator Room" will now only spawn up to 6
  • Fixed indoor/outdoor train sounds in the level "Train Ride"
  • Increased the touch radius of the elevator button in the level "Rec Room" that exits the level
  • Added sound for the Magmite enemies when they attack or die
  • Restored some missing grunt effects during Oblivion's transformation cinema
  • Fixed the ambience sound not playing during Dani and Joseph's intro cinemas
  • Fix for Alpha Fireborn falling out of the world
  • Game is now saved after defeating Joshua and the save slot will now show an icon indicating you've completed the game
  • Fixed incorrect health silhouette showing for a brief second at the start of a level
  • Ammo counter now slides up with the health display at the start of the level
  • Fixed the door in the level "The Back Alleys" from not opening in Joseph's path if you open it and re-enter the level
  • The scared office civilian in the level "The Back Alleys" won't run out until the player has entered the room
  • Subway crash cinema will now save the players number of deaths
  • Fixed sceptre face statue from showing the sceptre after it's been collected and re-entering the "Temple of the Damned" level
  • Fixed Opisthor's Health to match the n64 during his first 4 phases. And the "Blocked" sign texture now animates.
  • Fixed Opisthor from attacking while the player was touching the button and he was starting to submerge
  • Dead Ligatrixs' will no longer spawn their gibs at the start of the level
  • Fixed Magmites and Legionnaires not being able to enter or exit the lava water in levels such as the "Burning Passage"
  • Fixed a bug that prevented enemies from seeing you across the water in the level "Temple of the Damned"
  • Faded out lightning sfx transition much faster during Joshua's ending cinema so you can hear him saying "Hey, Sis..."
  • The Warlord will now avoid the trap door and be able to attack the player if already standing in the trigger area when he appears
  • The Warlords health is set to 1 when he enters his Regen state and his health bar is now displayed correctly when re-entering his area

• Elevator in the level "Seal The Breach" will now reach the bottom on its first cycle
  • Increased warp point radius in levels "Power Outage", "Hit The Lights", and "Narrow Passage"
  • When enemies become visible it now also checks if they're in the player's view before creating the spawn particle effect
  • Fixed up collision around the top corners of the 2 guard tower rooms in the level "The Military Base"
  • In the level "Ancient Altar": The enemy with the silver gate key was positioned to the ground so the key will spawn on the ground if the player doesn't pick it up and re-enters the level. Also, 2 trees in that level had no collision.
  • Added a half-second delay before the Cerebral Burst/Possessor can be manually detonated
  • Fixed grapple projectile trails from getting really big when it connected to a grapple sphere when playing at 30fps
  • Weapon select message no longer keeps showing whenever you use grapple hook
  • Fixed a bug with platform objects where any platform flagged as TRIGGER_START_IF_LINK_TRIGGERED and was PersistentFlagged would not receive any OnTrigger calls.
  • Lava clogger in Alpha Fireborn level cannot be triggered until the boss appears
  • Fixed horizontal alignment of boss health bar and psg parts in the status menu
  • One of Joshua's idle animations was one of his death animations and that was getting played on loop whenever he went idle. Fixed it so it doesn't play when he's idle. OnDeath he now plays a random death animation out of the 2 he has.

• (PC Modding) Loading models and RaxInfo through kpf files will now work correctly
  • (PC Modding) Extended scripting features
  • (PC Level Editor) Change the UI Scale, better object selection options, insert light object, creating maps with new ids no longer require a restart
  • (PC Level Editor) Added tooltips
  • (PC) Corrected Scientist/Civilian low-resolution face models

The patch finally fixed the Minigun ammo use, it was quite absurd how fast it emptied ^^;

That changelog is quite big, glad to see how much work they've done.
  • Renamed Old Man to Otto as that was the name given to him found in an acclaim design doc
^^ Nightdive takes this very seriously (just read what they've restored in the Shadow Man remaster).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom