• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Top 15 best-selling games of August 2023 on Nintendo eShop (Europe)

mazi

picross pundit
In a recent news post sent out to Switch owners, Nintendo provided a listing of the top 15 European eShop downloads for August 2023.

The Switch version of Red Dead Redemption proved popular having landed at #1. Also, despite launching at the very end of the month, Sea of Stars managed to appear at #12.

Source: Switch news

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Minecraft
3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
4. Storyteller
5. Brotato
6. Nintendo Switch Sports
7. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
8. Stardew Valley
9. Among Us
10. Pikmin 4
11. Quake II
12. Sea of Stars
13. A Little to the Left
14. Disney Dreamlight Valley
15. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe

please note that the european monthly rankings filter out discounted items.

Nice to see RDR at the top. Very encouraging for future Rockstar support. Mario Kart is just an unstoppable beast.

Why is Stardew Valley such a beast? I couldn't really get into it.
I'm inclined to agree, but I know my friend put like 150 hours into it. I think it's really addicting to some?

I'm inclined to agree, but I know my friend put like 150 hours into it. I think it's really addicting to some?
Even knowing that, how has it basically stayed in the eShop chart for 6 years straight?

Quoted by: Ab
Even knowing that, how has it basically stayed in the eShop chart for 6 years straight?
Isn't it like 15 dollars? It being cheap and basically perfect for a handheld device, I think it's an easy buy. And people rate it highly so people see 15 bucks as a steal

Quake II seems to be a little low and... Storyteller? Wasn't it discounted last month? If not, kinda surprising to see it chart so high months after its release.

Why is Stardew Valley such a beast? I couldn't really get into it.

People really like farming games, and it's a significant step up from the contemporaries, mostly the harvest moon/story of seasons/rune factory games which have arguably been pushing them out as fast as possible and resulting in the product feeling a bit phoned in since... maybe as long ago as Friends of mineral town (GBA), whereas Stardew has just had a ton of work dedicated to it

How much did you play it? Initially it didn't really click for me either, but once I got past a certain point it really clicked. I've put like 150 hours into it now.
In my first play session I spent about 3-4 hours and I was quite enjoying it. But afterwards I had no desire to go back to it. There were just too many story threads and I didn't like the gameplay or visuals enough to stick with it.

A nice diverse list from across the pond.

I've played Stardew Valley with a group only once, it was cool. 5 hours went by like crazy somehow.

I can get the appeal for sure and the price being so much cheaper than other farm sims on average will always keep it as a bestseller.

Why is Stardew Valley such a beast?
The creator, Concerned Ape, really loves farm sims and it shows. It just hits a lot of the right notes that Harvest Moon has failed to for the last decade. I personally prefer Rune Factory but even that is in a rut right now, whereas SDV has gotten content update after content update.

Love to see Sea of Stars on there after only being available for like two days of the month

Cool to see RDR at the very top. Cool stuff

Quake II seems to be a little low and... Storyteller? Wasn't it discounted last month? If not, kinda surprising to see it chart so high months after its release.

It was, for like 6 days in the very beginning of the month.

I dont exact how they draw the line to not include discounted games becuase it doesnt apply to everything.

of the month.

I dont exact how they draw the line to not include discounted games becuase it doesnt apply to everything.

It's sales while discounted that don't count. It's really straightforward, and they have to do this, or because it's purely by sales volume and not revenue, the list would be heavily populated with shite games that barely function but have been at -95% off to sucker people in.

It's sales while discounted that don't count. It's really straightforward, and they have to do this, or because it's purely by sales volume and not revenue, the list would be heavily populated with shite games that barely function but have been at -95% off to sucker people in.

I have no idea why Storyteller would chart last month if this was the case, I have to imagine the formula is a bit more complex than that straight forward.

I have no idea why Storyteller would chart last month if this was the case, I have to imagine the formula is a bit more complex than that straight forward.

It's really that straightforward, or at least, really close to it. Storyteller must have had good legs after the sale right at the start of the month ended while it still remained high in the charts.

If it was scaled in any real way to actual unit sales, vampire survivors would be here, which was on the top selling lists for most of the month iirc (edit: It's actually still #1 right now), but at 10% off, meaning it's nowhere to be seen as a result.

Edit: Storyteller, whatever it is, is still #5 on the download exclusive (#19 on the general) UK chart, almost a full month after the sale ended, so yeah, a bunch of people decided to buy it for whatever reasons that may be.

It's really that straightforward, or at least, really close to it. Storyteller must have had good legs after the sale right at the start of the month ended while it still remained high in the charts.

If it was scaled in any real way to actual unit sales, vampire survivors would be here, which was on the top selling lists for most of the month iirc (edit: It's actually still #1 right now), but at 10% off, meaning it's nowhere to be seen as a result.

Edit: Storyteller, whatever it is, is still #5 on the download exclusive (#19 on the general) UK chart, almost a full month after the sale ended, so yeah, a bunch of people decided to buy it for whatever reasons that may be.

And that's what boggles me.

It's not particularly cheap, it's not a new release, it didnt review all that well, doesnt look like it did something on social media

why o why?!

I guess I'll need to deal with it hah

Storyteller is a fun game, but it's very short and at full price not really worth it. It did receive dlc recently however.

Back
Back
Top Bottom