• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Tomb Raider I-III Remastered |ST| “Welcome back to my humble abode.”

big lantern ghost

cantstandya
Pronouns
he/him
iowon45.gif

Out
February 14th ❤️

On
Switch, PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S

Published & Developed by
Aspyr
(Original development by Core Design; consultation on the remasters from Crystal Dynamics)

A Watershed In Video Game History, Remastered
Back in 1996 — yes, the better part of thirty years ago — the original Tomb Raider was released. It certainly wasn’t the first 3D action-adventure, but it’s impossible to deny the impact TR had on video games and beyond. The emphasis is on puzzle-solving and exploration while avoiding deadly traps as Lara Croft tours the globe in search of ancient artifacts…and inevitably encounters ancient evil along the way. Experience the original trilogy again or for the first time, with a host of updates!

pTgfv2X.gif

Stuff You Should Know
  • Built on the original engine and source code; switch between the original and remastered presentation any time
  • Improved lighting, modelling and animations
  • Modern joystick controls (don’t worry, you can still be a tank if you want to)
  • Improved camera lock-on for combat
  • Boss health bars (might not seem like a big deal but resources can be scarce and bosses can be tough!)
  • A photo mode
  • Expansion levels for all three games included!
See It In Action (with commentary)

Dedication
This StarTopic is for my uncle, who introduced me to this series — and who sadly passed away before I was able to reconnect with him as an adult. Here’s to you, Paul, wherever you may be. I will never forget playing games together with you. 🕯

TR is one of those series I always wanted to get into but couldn't at the time. Hope this provides an opportunity for me at last.

Awesome thread!

TR1 was one of the first 3D games I've played (THE first if we don't count the FX games on SNES) and haven't replayed the original one ever since. Almost 28 years, holy crap! Super hyped to go back with a fresh coat of painting on Switch.

Aslo never played the 3rd game (and 4th game but I have to wait for it) and the expansions for each game, so some of this collection will be a brand new experience for me.

Hoping that 4-5-6 collection is not that far away.

Excellent ST! I'm super excited for this collection, it looks great and these games really hit my nostalgia center, haha.

Here's some footage of the Switch version, courtesy of Nintendo Life.

All in all, very excited about this! I'm gonna wait a bit for a potential physical release though.
Hoping that 4-5-6 collection is not that far away.
It better be! This collection seems that is going to do big numbers for what it is, so they should keep up with demand. Ideally, I would love to see remasters of all the pre-reboot Tomb Raider games.

It better be! This collection seems that is going to do big numbers for what it is, so they should keep up with demand. Ideally, I would love to see remasters of all the pre-reboot Tomb Raider games.
It seems that'll be the case here. Not many games aside from Pokémon, Zelda and Mario enter eShop top sellers as a preorder, right now it's slowly rising, currently at #26.

I do want them to continue to Dark Angel trilogy but I also want Aspyr to try new series too. Blood Omen could receive a similar collection or CD's other great series Pandemonium. They can aslo continue remastering other Star Wars series. A Shadow of the Empire game in TR style would be amazing...

Definitely interested in this, even if I don’t get it day 1. Hope there’s no outstanding technical issues.

Here's some footage of the Switch version, courtesy of Nintendo Life.

All in all, very excited about this! I'm gonna wait a bit for a potential physical release though.

The new movement mode feels much more natural than I feared, much closer to the Legend trilogy and I'm ok with this. It's optional so nobody should complain about it. Right ? RIGHT ?

Good news is new visuals are at locked 60 fps! Bad news is new controls look like they're gonna take some time to get used to. It won't be problem for me though, randomly shooting is the best part of these games.

It's almost time, fellow Crypt Pillagers. If you know you're picking this up, today is the last chance for the 10% launch discount. If you're playing on Xbox, don't forget you can take a quick trip to New Zealand and play...now!

It's almost time, fellow Crypt Pillagers. If you know you're picking this up, today is the last chance for the 10% launch discount. If you're playing on Xbox, don't forget you can take a quick trip to New Zealand and play...now!
This reminds me, I don't think I ever brought my Xbox back from New Zealand after taking it there for Persona 3 Reload. I'm getting these remasters on Switch, though, for portability.

The Queen is BACK

so pumped to finally play these games again! I tried on original hardware a few years back and the loading screens after my constant dying drove me up a wall. And not one of those walls that hides a secret either unfortunately lol

Great ST.

Pity the ps5 version doesn't have a platinum, apparently (PS4 version does)

Anyone know if there are any differences between the PS4/PS5 versions?
So, 269 trophies on PS5, no platinum and apparently no gold either, only bronze and silver.

There's a ton that are hidden tho.

EDIT :
Hmmm, I'm not a fan of the modern controls too btw. You can't make side jumps nor a back-jump because even when you walk, you still use the modern controls.

Also, a lot of buttons change instantly when you activate modern controls : Square is now walking, Cross is now jumping. Uuuuuh. And you have now to use L2 to not only draw your weapons and keep it pushed to fire. You can change all the buttons but it's 1AM here so I'm gonna check this later.

Also the french translation is hilarious.
They basically translated "Tank Controls" to "Controls of the Tank" and "Walk to item" to "Let's walk to the item".
This is Breath of Fire III levels of translation. I'm gonna send a CV.

Last edited:
Oh no! Broken in what way?

The tutorial only teaches you the general controls of the game with TC in mind. It doesn’t take MC into account. For instance, with MC, the only way you can do the side flips and backflips is when Lara has her guns outs. You don’t have guns in the tutorial so when it’s trying to teach you how to do that and you have MC on, you literally can’t achieve it.

I just swapped back to TC after dealing with the frustration. TC still has its frustrations as well, but at least the gameplay itself isn’t hindered by things that was corrected to account for the MC.

I might pick this up when it goes on sale, just because I had fond memories of playing the first two games (didn't get far on TR3 due to the wacky driving controls annoying me for some reason), but I'm not so crazy for Lara that this is a Day 1 purchase for me.

In a semi-heretical view, am I the only person who's disappointed that this wasn't a port of Tomb Raider Anniversary instead? Admittedly, it's just a remake of TR1, but I actually enjoyed the Wii version of Anniversary with its pointer-based shooting and motion control puzzles... though I will admit that could just be nostalgia talking to me through rose-tinted glasses or some other mangled metaphor...

Aw man, this still isn't unlocked on Switch? Was hoping to play a bit before work. Oh well.

Edit: just double checked the launch time chart and yeah, another three hours it seems. 😭 I just wanna shoot some bats and fuck up some jumps.

Last edited:
*edit

ok... i can cancel the connection prompt and it will bring up the game/eula.

Still a little bit anoying that this will pop up everytime.

Last edited:
Been playing for about an hour, and god I am in love with this remaster. My muscle memory for tank controls came back very quickly and I'm just having a blast. Mostly stuck with new visuals but I've been doing comparisons now and then (sometimes accidentally because it's mapped to + for some reason lol).

I hope they do a physical when they do 4-5 (and AoD?) The Complete Core Saga is going to sell A LOT

I am not a tank control guy, but I might be willing to give it a go and decide if I would prefer the new controls or not.

Is it just me, or is swimming really weird with modern controls? I had a very hard time surfacing, as pulling back on the left stick just turned Lara around.

I've mainly been using the tank controls anyway, but I was experimenting with the modern ones to see if one particular section would be easier (it was not).

Made it up to Palace Midas in TR1, then took a break to explore Lara's home in TR2 and 3. I always really liked that these games had what was basically a sandbox tutorial level.

Downloaded the game yesterday and played around for about an hour. These tank controls are rough, but I'm slowly getting used to them. The tutorials in Lara's mansion are certainly helpful.
Is it just me, or is swimming really weird with modern controls? I had a very hard time surfacing, as pulling back on the left stick just turned Lara around.
I hate swimming with the modern controls. That's what made me switch back to tank controls.

Downloaded the game yesterday and played around for about an hour. These tank controls are rough, but I'm slowly getting used to them. The tutorials in Lara's mansion are certainly helpful.

I hate swimming with the modern controls. That's what made me switch back to tank controls.
Oh good, it's not just me lol. Yeah, the tank controls take some getting used to, but I think it's worth it. I apparently played these so much as a kid that I have sort of residual muscle memory for them so I adjusted fast.

Oh good, it's not just me lol. Yeah, the tank controls take some getting used to, but I think it's worth it. I apparently played these so much as a kid that I have sort of residual muscle memory for them so I adjusted fast.
I never did play these games back in the day, so I'm aiming to play them as faithfully to the originals as possible with tank controls and classic graphics mode.

Finally getting around to starting this! So fun so far. Love that the graphics toggle works seamlessly in the photo mode as well! So easy to get some nice comparison shots.

1z56A9T.jpeg

vrtTXHi.jpeg

I have always wanted to give these games a try and now I have the chance.

Last edited:
Please refrain from boy's club rhetoric, in this case talking about a female character's "guns". - meatbag, Party Sklar, Volcanic Dynamo
I have always wanted to give these games a try and now I have the chance.
Do it. There's a reason lots of people speak fondly of the series, and it's not just because of Lara's guns (if you know what I mean, nudge-nudge wink-wink saynomore...).

Can't put this game(s) down lately

I find myself swapping back and forth with the graphic style randomly just because the instantaneous-ness of it makes it really fun to do lol

but I really love the simplicity of this

I hope it does well enough for them to look at it and make something new that is more appreciative of what was accomplished with these first few games and less keen on imitating other stuff out there

personally I even enjoy the not super realistic graphic style of the remade graphics too. to me it is super charming

but perhaps that's just my nostalgia overpowering my sense IDK

Back
Top Bottom