• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Today in "Horrifically Poorly Planned Marketing Ideas", Disney makes this tweet saying 1939 was a vibe

Uh...Surely there are better ways to promote the Hollywood Tower of Terror....

EDIT: LOL They took the tweet down. Here's a picture:

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
I guess Disney just really wants to speak to the NuTwitter audience.

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if the person who thought up that tweet and the person who approved it wasn't aware that WW2 started in '39. The amount of Americans I've talked to who believed it started in '41 or '42 astounds me.

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if the person who thought up that tweet and the person who approved it wasn't aware that WW2 started in '39. The amount of Americans I've talked to who believed it started in '41 or '42 astounds me.
You're shocked that an ethnocentric population like my own would think the war only started when they entered? I envy your optimism, pal.

american here, I've personally never heard anyone say the war started later than 39

To be fair you can make the argument that it started in '37.

It’s less the exact date and more I think that Americans have a very skewed view of WW2, mostly unaware that the lion’s share of the fight with the Nazis was done on the eastern front where the Soviets contributed the most to their defeat, like that they’re unaware of how many Chinese people died when Japan invaded.

In any case, between this and the Kanye stuff it’s certainly been a week.

Reminds me of how in Germany they did a campaign for Fanta about the "good old days" when Fanta first came out, not taking into account that it was first introduced in nazi Germany.

this tweet hits on a whole different level when you remember that Disney, like the other animation studios of the time. ended up having to make WW2 propaganda to keep their profits safe.

it's not on disney+, unsurprisingly. but it did get a few DVD releases in the early 2000s.

1939 also saw the release of Mickey's Surprise Party, notable for being the first cartoon to use Mickey's modern design that is still in use to this day.
tve31611-19390218-1006.jpg

this tweet hits on a whole different level when you remember that Disney, like the other animation studios of the time. ended up having to make WW2 propaganda to keep their profits safe.

it's not on disney+, unsurprisingly. but it did get a few DVD releases in the early 2000s.

1939 also saw the release of Mickey's Surprise Party, notable for being the first cartoon to use Mickey's modern design that is still in use to this day.

It was actually for the Hollywood Tower of Terror in Disney World.

...I'm not joking.

Probably a coincidence, but I couldn't help but be struck by how much that thumbnail reminded me of the Rising Sun flag in terms of imagery:

1200px-Naval_ensign_of_the_Empire_of_Japan.svg.png

Back
Top Bottom