• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Predictions Time to place our final bets - will Metroid Prime 4 be in the June 2024 Direct?

Will Metroid Prime 4 be in the June 2024 Direct?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
images

We are in June, when what may be the last major general Direct of the Switch era will be broadcast. It could even be announced for as early as this week (my personal opinion is it’ll be towards the end of the month, however). Nintendo announcements for Directs often tend to mention games that will be featured explicitly.

So this is when we have to have this final discussion - will Metroid Prime 4 be in the June Nintendo Direct? Why or why not?

Bonus question - if it is in the Direct will Nintendo share that it’ll be featured in it upfront?

No. It makes zero sense not to save it for the big Switch 2 reveal. It can be crossgen, but it will get the most eyes and hype at that event, not here.

I certainly hope it isn’t.

Yes, it's finally time!! It'll be glorious to finally see it and I hope it blows our minds. And no, they won't share upfront that it'll be - it's been awhile since they've done it for the last time, I believe it was for Smash at E3 2018? Or Fire Emblem Three Houses on February 2019?

They'll want that to catch us by surprise and I'd say it's even likely to be the closer.

No. It makes zero sense not to save it for the big Switch 2 reveal. It can be crossgen, but it will get the most eyes and hype at that event, not here.

I actually think its better if they release it this year. At launch of switch 2 nintendo will have a lot of games and if theres a 3D mario, Metroid will suffer

For once I’ll vote yes because there isn’t much else I can see them saving for a holiday release. But I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if it’s MIA again.

I don't think releasing at Switch 2 launch or This Holiday is better or worse for the game tbh. It either (probably) gets critical acclaim in a quiet year for gaming and the holidays mostly to itself, while likely being backwards compatible for switch 2, or it's crossgen and has the whole generation as a new title, at the cost of immediately competing with the likes of Mario and Mariokart.

I don't think releasing at Switch 2 launch or This Holiday is better or worse for the game tbh. It either (probably) gets critical acclaim in a quiet year for gaming and the holidays mostly to itself, while likely being backwards compatible for switch 2, or it's crossgen and has the whole generation as a new title, at the cost of immediately competing with the likes of Mario and Mariokart.
It’s not competing with Mario and Mario Kart. It’s a completely different fanbase. I guess Xenoblade 2, ARMS, Splatoon 2 were all held back because Mario and Mario Kart were there in 2017? No. They got a boost from the excitement of a launch year on Switch. Same approach can work great for a Metroid series that needs as much hype and sales as possible.

It’s not competing with Mario and Mario Kart. It’s a completely different fanbase. I guess Xenoblade 2, ARMS, Splatoon 2 were all held back because Mario and Mario Kart were there in 2017? No. They got a boost from the excitement of a launch year on Switch. Same approach can work great for a Metroid series that needs as much hype and sales as possible.
Generally? no.
Launching on the exact same day (presumably the launch day of the console, bc that's what everyone seems to think it will be)? Yes.

You have a 150 million user base and if you wait for cross gen, most of the hardcore ones will be occupied by 3D Mario, Mario Kart and who knows what else. NOW IS THE TIME TO STRIKE. GIVE US PRIME 4 2024.

I said no before and I will say no again. For the opposite inference as AranPrime. They worked 8 years on a game that would sell 3 million at most in a regular year. They're not going to release it in the arse end of a console and end up with a Skyward Sword situation. The game needs to be given time to become an evergreen and therefore launch at the beginning of a console generation. Besides, while I don't think Nintendo is going to reach their sales target, nothing of Prime 4 screams to me that it would sell an extra ten million switches in the twilight of the console. You get the core gamers at the beginning and the casuals and kids who just aged into playing games at the end. It will be a party game or fun platformer that caps off the switch.

You have a 150 million user base and if you wait for cross gen, most of the hardcore ones will be occupied by 3D Mario, Mario Kart and who knows what else. NOW IS THE TIME TO STRIKE. GIVE US PRIME 4 2024.

You have mostly the eyes of late adopters and existing Nintendo fandom on your current console, if you wait for cross-gen, you’ve your best chance at exposing this game to hardcore audiences that aren’t already well invested in Metroid. 10-16 MONTHS FROM NOW IS THE TIME TO STRIKE, GIVE US PRIME 4 SOMETIME IN 2025.

;]

But really - once again I’m past dying on any hill. I just want to see this game running on new hardware - launch it whenever you want Nintendo, I can wait.

I don't think they will want to have Metroid Prime 4 from the niche franchise overshadowed by something like The Wind Waker HD from a more popular series.

It would have less eyes on it being compared to new 3D Mario/Mario Kart/whatever huge 3rd party there is, rather than it being the swan song of the switch.

They worked 8 years on a game that would sell 3 million at most in a regular year. They're not going to release it in the arse end of a console and end up with a Skyward Sword situation. The game needs to be given time to become an evergreen and therefore launch at the beginning of a console generation.
Metroid and evergreen don't belong in the same sentence. Dread sold 300k in 2022

I think more than anything else happening with Nintendo right now I really want to see how this shakes out. It’s been an entertaining seven years of confident posts and dashed hopes.

It's unfortunate that MP4 will kinda be screwed. Release it for a massive install base that's ready to move on, or release it for an install base that'll be tiny. Not seeing how it'll fair well. Coming from one of the biggest Prime stans.

It's unfortunate that MP4 will kinda be screwed. Release it for a massive install base that's ready to move on, or release it for an install base that'll be tiny. Not seeing how it'll fair well. Coming from one of the biggest Prime stans.
Either way it will almost certainly become the best selling Metroid game. I don't think the release date factors into it much, to be honest. The Metroid fanbase is pretty locked in.

My feeling is Prime 4 for Switch 1 in holiday 2024 where there's not really a huge game from Sony or Microsoft beyond Indiana Jones/Assassin's Creed and later a Metroid Prime collection on Switch 2 - I feel like the game isn't going to magically become a native Switch 2 game so the improvements will be superficial for any Switch 2 version anyway

Last edited:
Metroid and evergreen don't belong in the same sentence. Dread sold 300k in 2022
Dread released late 2021, four and a half years into the console cycle. That's kind of past the evergreen window.
Before that Metroid Prime was the bestselling Metroid because it released close to launch.
(Yes Metroid prime 3 doesn't really fit my narrative)

Do i have to use some shitty profile pic or other punishments if i join this bet? Because i won't if i have to.

If not:

My personal prediction is "No", they will show it this year, but not in this Direct. It will be shown at the Switch 2 reveal sometime in September or October, but it will definitely also release on Switch 1 as a cross-gen game.

It's going to take the spot of Twilight Princess (GCN and Wii), and BotW (Wii U and Switch).

It will be a Twitter drop and we'll be forced to live with it.

In all seriousness though, this Direct closer will be 2D Zelda. Prime 4 is held back for crossgen.

It's gonna be there, and I'll be bold and say they are going to open the Direct with it. It will be a 2025 game, though, and they won't show gameplay. Only a trailer to set the mood and show the general direction this is going for. A bit similar to the first TotK teaser trailer, maybe.

They will also announce Prime 2 and 3 Remastered for October.

Everything points to this being the perfect time for it, so I'm sticking to believing that there is no Switch 2 version.

I notice that one particular Redditor in the rumours sub has been insinuating that they have actual knowledge that it's been delayed internally and won't be shown until later in the year, but it's hard to take random individuals at their word, y'know?

I feel like if Nintendo's Holiday title is truly something like Donkey Kong that hasn't been hinted at, dropping the seeds for it in February would've been hinted at. And most of their IPs are either too recent to have something new or too minor to push sales targets. Having a 4-5 month publicity cycle for a title with existing hype at least makes a certain type of sense to me.

I always choose to believe it'll be there, but we'll see what happens. It'll either be in this Direct, or the Switch 2 presentation, and that's exciting to think about either way. #TTP
Bonus question - if it is in the Direct will Nintendo share that it’ll be featured in it upfront?
Nope. I think it'd be kept a surprise until the very end of the Direct.

I notice that one particular Redditor in the rumours sub has been insinuating that they have actual knowledge that it's been delayed internally and won't be shown until later in the year, but it's hard to take random individuals at their word, y'know?
Got a link to the post?

Got a link to the post?
The username is "ManateeofSteel" and they're replying to multiple people that mention the game

At one point they even say that they don't know for sure it won't be in this Direct, just that they have a strong reason to believe it's not coming out this year

My bet is that it will show up.

It's gonna be there, and I'll be bold and say they are going to open the Direct with it. It will be a 2025 game, though, and they won't show gameplay. Only a trailer to set the mood and show the general direction this is going for. A bit similar to the first TotK teaser trailer, maybe.

In fact, this is nearly exactly what I think will happen. I think showing it now, when there is an already existing massive install base with a 2025 release date and then again later this year at a switch 2 event, confirming a crossgen release could be a good idea. That way you're showing it off to the widest audience possible. I don't think showing it now necessarily makes it a switch 1 only release, especially if it has a 2025 date.

Aside from that, it's high time for this game to show up. I'm going to be living vicariously through Metroid fans for a moment when it finally does!!

Last edited:
Saving it for Switch 2 makes 0 sense to me. The damn thing was announced in the first Switch E3 lmao. It'll be one of this year's big game, and will be one of the big trailer of this June Direct, 100%.

The username is "ManateeofSteel" and they're replying to multiple people that mention the game

At one point they even say that they don't know for sure it won't be in this Direct, just that they have a strong reason to believe it's not coming out this year

This sounds like a nothing bluff, no offense. It's coming very soon but I believe not this year, it may be in the Direct but also could not be. I have reasons for everything. That's just hedging your guesses to always be right.

My feeling is Prime 4 for Switch 2 in holiday 2024 where there's not really a huge game from Sony or Microsoft beyond Indiana Jones/Assassin's Creed and later a Metroid Prime collection on Switch 2 - I feel like the game isn't going to magically become a native Switch 2 game so the improvements will be superficial for any Switch 2 version anyway
There's also Avowed, Dragon Age and BLOPS6. For me I can add Warhammer, Life is Strange, Arkham Shadow, Visions of Mana and half a dozen other games. Second half and holiday especially is jam packed. Not that it really matters to Nintendo I think, but if it did, they would better put their core-focused more niche games in the summer to get out of the holiday bustle, which they have done a few times.

How many times do.i have to bet about MP4 being at the June direct? I hope a third one pops up soon d:

I think the Venn diagram of people interested in Metroid Prime 4 and people willing to buy the next gen console to play it is just one circle.

I've seen him a couple of time in r/gamingleaksandrumours talking about the Switch 2 Dev-Kit, making it seem, he heard about it.

Which i find kinda hard to believe.

If you're wondering what he said, was that the Switch 2 is similar to the PS4, which is a bit weird, since the rumour and shipping details suggest it'll outperform it in various way's, similar with how the Switch outperforms the PS3.

^^^
Exactly this. Save Metroid Prime 4's reveal for the Switch 2 event. They could tease MP4 in the direct with a release window and leave the gameplay/visuals a secret until the nextgen showcase. Praying they don't show a full trailer

you know what, I was so ready to say no

but fuck it

let's have some fun

Games not selling well in a systems twilight years is such an absurd myth. Mario Wonder, Pikmin 4, Kirby and The Forgotten Land and Mario RPG remake all broke first week records for their series and in some cases are the overall best selling games. The only cases where this saying has credibility are when it comes to sequels that are on the same system as their predecessor. But even in such cases, those games still sell really well. The only exception that comes to mind is Sparks of Hope and that's in some part due to Ubisofts consistent price drops hurting it.

Either way, this is the first original 3D Metroid on the Switch and believe or not, there's a whole lot of people who aren't interested in a 2D game like Dread but will buy a 3D game like Prime 4.

Even if this myth was true, try explaining to me why games like Rift Apart, Second Son, Forbidden West and especially Metroid Prime 3 all sold either only a bit better than their predecessor or worse and what insurance do we have that this same scenario won't replay itself with Prime 4.

At the end of the day, it honestly doesn't matte if Prime 4 comes out in 2024 or 2025, on the Switch or the Switch 2. What matters is quality. If this game drops and let's say it gets reviews that are comparable to the original trilogy along with strong WoM, that will be its best shot at becoming the best selling Metroid game and maybe getting to 5 million or more.

I still think it's a 2025 crossgen title and it won't be shown this month. I hope Nintendo's big game for this holiday season is DK

I don’t think there’s a particularly compelling argument for either side, tbh. Releasing it next year to bolster the Switch 2 launch year library is a good move. Releasing it this year to capitalize on a weak holiday period and a massive install base is also a good move.

I lean towards this year, since it was announced for Switch 1 in advance, and I think Nintendo will have plenty of games for 2025. But both are very feasible options.

Still crazy to think this was announced seven years ago. lol actually at the same time as skill and bones ironically enough. I can’t imagine Nintendo will make the mistake of announcing something that early again

Back
Top Bottom