• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Things in media that scared you as a kid.

CastletonSnob

Moblin
Pronouns
He/Him
Tell us about things in media that you were afraid of when you were younger, no matter how silly it seems now. It can be anything, like shows, commercials, video games, etc.

I remember I used to be afraid of Olmec from Legends of the Hidden Temple.

The diesel characters in Thomas The Tank Engine always scared me, specifically the more antagonistic ones like Diesel and Daisy. They would often shake and make noises that disturbed me.

I remember specifically I had to watch this episode with my mom when I was like 4.

Still freaks me out now tbf but my brother showed me this scene back in the day when I was very young and it had me freaked out for so long.

For something more kid-focused this guy always scared me when I was younger.

qzt4bcn6xnc51.jpg

When I first played Ocarina of Time (I must've been around... 6-7-ish years old?) with my little sister, we could never get past the kokiri village because we thought both the skulltulas in the deku tree AND the skull kids in the forest were terrifying and we were afraid to enter either area. Whenever we decided to be brave about it and try again we'd just get really scared and run back out...

The aliens from Signs terrified me for months. I was always looking around every corner for them in my house. A rare instance of watching something I shouldn't have at that age.

Open water in vidya gaems.

I don't care if there's an invisible wall or not its spooky, my 8 year old brain can't handle it, and also I'm pretty sure that shark from banjo kazooie has something to do with it.

Zomba in The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo.

I don't think I ever saw an episode with her in, but she showed up in the opening titles and I trained myself to not look when she showed up. She scared the shit out of me for some reason.

MV5BZDJlNGFiYWItYjYzMi00MTE3LWJhY2ItYWFjMjRkNWVhM2YzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTc0NjY1ODk@._V1_.jpg

This...thing chased me in my dreams to crush me.

MjB4OTIwLmpwZw

This one is a bit specific but when I was a kid and was riding on my parent's car, since they only had the preinstalled radio, they listened to it, and during the nights at 10 PM on certain stations a Christian prayer would come up and scare the shit out of me. It was kind a combination of the music they used and the voice over of the narration. Sometimes I catch it on the radio and still manages to freak me out from time to time.

During the late 80's early 90's, in Mexico there was this horror TV series named "La Hora Marcada" (The Marked Hour) in which every episode had a different plot, similar to Twilight Zone/Night Gallery. Actually quite a few of big names in Hollywood today started directing and writing episodes for that series (Cuaron, Del Toro Etc), so the quality of the show was big.

The only connective tissue between episodes was this terrifying woman dressed in black that appeared randomly during the episode, invisible to the characters, just kind of a watcher or bad bad omen or harbinger in the background , representing death:

la-hora-marcada-la-mujer-de-negro.jpg

This Woman in Black really fucked me up as a kid, i used to imagine that she was in the corner of the room watching me before i turn up the lights, or watching my house from outside and that if i take a peek at the window during the night i will see her there standing watching my house. Hell sometimes i still imagine this, really fucked me up for some reason.

This...

JUST.

THIS.

Came here to post a gif from this movie and I'm not surprised someone beat me to it.

This movie was 100% nightmare fuel, and it's all because it dealt with some nuanced adult emotions.

Also fucking arson clowns

sF0PTj.gif

giphy.gif

9oaztl.gif

ColossalEuphoricHarborporpoise-max-1mb.gif

AggressiveSpryDolphin-size_restricted.gif

the blankie (who represents escapism in its purest form) sees a car coming in the distance, and believes it's the master finally returning
only to be yanked back to reality when his expectations are not met

1nGV.gif

d2c6cdd869fa9a44deac7ccb36f298bf_w200.gif

yes, the yellow blender is trying to hide from the man,
who then pulls the blender apart piece by piece in view of the other characters
who recoil in fear knowing that they are next

AncientFirsthandApisdorsatalaboriosa-max-1mb.gif

god this whole movie's a funhouse nightmare of adult emotions

During the late 80's early 90's, in Mexico there was this horror TV series named "La Hora Marcada" (The Marked Hour) in which every episode had a different plot, similar to Twilight Zone/Night Gallery. Actually quite a few of big names in Hollywood today started directing and writing episodes for that series (Cuaron, Del Toro Etc), so the quality of the show was big.

The only connective tissue between episodes was this terrifying woman dressed in black that appeared randomly during the episode, invisible to the characters, just kind of a watcher or bad bad omen or harbinger in the background , representing death:

la-hora-marcada-la-mujer-de-negro.jpg

This Woman in Black really fucked me up as a kid, i used to imagine that she was in the corner of the room watching me before i turn up the lights, or watching my house from outside and that if i take a peek at the window during the night i will see her there standing watching my house. Hell sometimes i still imagine this, really fucked me up for some reason.
That's an amazingly effective use of a character, I love that.

Since the brave little toaster was already covered:

The Dark Crystal.

I'm not even talking about the bad guys either, everything, down to the main characters and their little demonic furball.... All of it, shit just uncanny puppet valley freaked me out as a kid, and I still dislike it so much, I don't even want to post a picture.

I got legit freaked out after catching a glimpse of MJ's Thriller video:

images

Couldn't sleep that night and I got irrationally angry at my brother for the crime of... happening to have MTV on at the time.

Back
Top Bottom