• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion These two young jazz virtuosos are killing it right now

• Thread starter Deleted member 2
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2

Domi and JD Beck have both been playing music from a very very young age and have two Grammy nominations, some insane collaborators (Anderson .Paak, Thundercat, Snoop), and a full length debut under their belt.

You wouldn't know from looking at them, given that on the surface they're just two young Gen Z kids doing dope MF DOOM covers on TikTok.

But dive down the rabbit hole and you'll find that these two are some serious talent and have the potential to redefine what jazz means for a whole new generation.

Seriously, watch one of these videos and just see how utterly talented they both are.

I had heard about Domi before, she's an insane player. I don't dig their music that much to be honest though.

Of the "modern jazz" musicians I enjoy others like Louis Cole and his band KNOWER or the (mostly) instrumental band Snarky Puppy.

I had heard about Domi before, she's an insane player. I don't dig their music that much to be honest though.

Of the "modern jazz" musicians I enjoy others like Louis Cole and his band KNOWER or the (mostly) instrumental band Snarky Puppy.
What don't you dig about it? Based on your other likes it sounds like you enjoy a more dense instrumentation

What don't you dig about it? Based on your other likes it sounds like you enjoy a more dense instrumentation
I find it hard to explain, like I'm usually super impressed by what they do in terms of the cool chord progressions, weird rhytms and stuff but I just don't feel much listening to them. I feel like I should like it but it just doesn't resonate with me for some reason. I have the exact same issue with Jacob Collier and I can't really understand why.

I find it hard to explain, like I'm usually super impressed by what they do in terms of the cool chord progressions, weird rhytms and stuff but I just don't feel much listening to them. I feel like I should like it but it just doesn't resonate with me for some reason. I have the exact same issue with Jacob Collier and I can't really understand why.
That's all you had to say. I don't enjoy listening to Jacob Collier's music beyond a purely academic standpoint, and even then I think he's not really pushing boundaries I feel need to be pushed right now. However I think Domi & JD Beck are bringing jazz to a new crowd of kids that Jacob is unable to reach.
I feel like Jacob makes music that music nerds who hero worship him can geek out about, and Domi & JD Beck make music that's stimulating to jazz academics as well as appealing Gen Z kids who might not even know the difference between Ionian and Aeolian. And that's a near impossible line to cross.

Enjoying the Tiny Desk concert more than the first video. Thanks for sharing!

Edit - The drummer is incredible and kind of makes the whole thing.

Oh man hook it to my veins

idk anything about jazz I know I like the mathy shit like this where is the mathy shit at

Back
Top Bottom